+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
Hi Everyone.

Has anyone Noticed the Eligibility period does auto populate when u enter the "To" Date (9a) in the application form.

Example I put Application Date on Online Presence Calculator as 2021-05-04. The Eligibility date I get is 2016-05-04 to 2021-05-03.

Now when I put 2021-05-03 "To" Date (9a) in the application form the from date is auto populated as 2016-05-03. Now in the form I have a different eligibility period which is 1 day less from the online calculator 2016-05-03 to 2021-05-03. There is now way we can edit the from date on the from as its auto populated by a formula.

Please advise if anyone has noticed this and if this is a big.
Hi ,
Not sure if you got an answer for your query. I was facing the same issue and found an explanation on page 60 of this forum. It seems like a glitch nd everyone is submitting the form as is. Some people are recommending to write an explanation in the LOE.
Thanks!

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
Hi all,
I am submitting the online application as I am applying as a singe applicant. When I fill in the addresses I lived for the past 5 years, for my indian address, the province/state column is greyed out. So I cannot mention my state Is this normal?
Also, for the digital photo, staples are not providing that service currently, does anyone know which places can we go for the digital photograph?
Looking forward to your reply.........Thanks!

Last edited:

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am in the process of applying for my citizenship and will prefer to submit an online application. I noticed that there is no request for police report, proof of English (I am adding this to additional document section - hope my certificate of completion and transcript will suffice?), as well as tax documents (for this they requested that I put in my SIN). Do I need to also get a police report and add to the additional document section?
Can someone who has applied online please share their experience and also please help clarify if it is a good idea to go ahead with the online application and things I need to do.
Thank you.
Who said that you can submit your Canadian citizenship application online?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Who said that you can submit your Canadian citizenship application online?
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada did.

https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing?fbclid=IwAR0fuVZfg7cqmx6tn3xf1AXrfwX5CpMppqAbdDRF67VDJCESpphGqCxC1OA

At this time, you can only apply online if

If you don't meet the criteria above, you can only apply on paper at this time. We’re working to make sure that more people can apply online in the future.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am in the process of applying for my citizenship and will prefer to submit an online application. I noticed that there is no request for police report, proof of English (I am adding this to additional document section - hope my certificate of completion and transcript will suffice?), as well as tax documents (for this they requested that I put in my SIN). Do I need to also get a police report and add to the additional document section?
Can someone who has applied online please share their experience and also please help clarify if it is a good idea to go ahead with the online application and things I need to do.
Thank you.
You'll have to submit documents based on your unique situation. English/French language proof is mandatory for everyone between the ages of 18 and 54. You will NOT be submitting any tax documents. Whether you have to submit your police certificates or not depends on your travel history. Read the instruction guide. The guidance there is very clear.

1. Police certificate(s)
    You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
    • in the past 4 years
    • for 183 days or more in a row
    • since the age of 18
  2. Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.
    You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
    • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
    • this time falls within the past 4 years
  3. If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.
    To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued
    • after the last time you were in that country, or
    • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
  4. We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.
    Find out how to get a police certificate
    See the following examples to help you answer this question.
    Example 1
    You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.
    Example 2
    You became a permanent resident 3 years and 9 months ago. In the past 4 years, you lived in Brazil for 3 months (90 days) before you became a permanent resident and you returned to Brazil to visit family for 4 months (120 days) after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from Brazil because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in Brazil.
    Example 3
    In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.
    Example 4
    In the past 4 years, you travelled to Singapore four times for work. The first trip was for 30 days; the second trip was for 200 days; the third trip was for 60 days; and the fourth trip was for 120 days. While in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore because your second trip was more than 183 days in a row. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
    Example 5
    In the past 4 years, you took 1 trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more in a row. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That sounds great , for minors below 18 ,can we submit their applications on pepper alone while me and my wife can submitted on line or should af least one adult with kids on paper?
You can't apply for kids online. And I'm not sure about the regulations for applying citizenship for the minor kid alone.

Read the relevant instruction guide for minors and you'll get the information.

I think at least one of you (you or your wife) might be able to apply online. If you can apply for minor separately on paper, then the 2 of you should be able to submit individual online applications.

Not very sure about this, you might want to check relevant threads to see if someone has done this before and see what they have to say.

Good luck

trip90

Feb 28, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EDMONTON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
For Question 11.
"Tell us what you have been doing during the five (5) year eligibility period. Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you. "

For example: If my last working day in a job is till Friday and starting a new job from Monday. Then do I have to specify Sat-Sun (2 days) between as "unemployed"?

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
Hi all,
For the employment history, the previous employer who I worked for in 2019 have changed their address. do I mention the new address or the old address when i used to work?
Secondly, for the unemployment duration, should I mention the address of my home?..........Thank you!

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
For Question 11.
"Tell us what you have been doing during the five (5) year eligibility period. Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you. "

For example: If my last working day in a job is till Friday and starting a new job from Monday. Then do I have to specify Sat-Sun (2 days) between as "unemployed"?
The employment details are to be mentioned in months, so exact date is not needed.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
You can't apply for kids online. And I'm not sure about the regulations for applying citizenship for the minor kid alone.

Read the relevant instruction guide for minors and you'll get the information.

I think at least one of you (you or your wife) might be able to apply online. If you can apply for minor separately on paper, then the 2 of you should be able to submit individual online applications.

Not very sure about this, you might want to check relevant threads to see if someone has done this before and see what they have to say.

Good luck
Thanks a lot for the clarification!

ohmygawd

Star Member
Jun 24, 2018
You'll have to submit documents based on your unique situation. English/French language proof is mandatory for everyone between the ages of 18 and 54. You will NOT be submitting any tax documents. Whether you have to submit your police certificates or not depends on your travel history. Read the instruction guide. The guidance there is very clear.
You are awesome, thanks for helping out with the clarification.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Regarding question #11 list all your study or work for 5 five years. Is the eligibility period calendar year or just starts from the exact month and what if I started job for more than 7 years and ended within the eligibility period shall I mention from the excat year or just within the 5 years?