+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

wwww

Star Member
Apr 2, 2020
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
Hi

I have a question regarding moving out of province. I have to apply for citizenship next year. But I came to Canada through AINP. I stayed in Calgary from March to April 2021 (2 months). I received my PR card and my health card in Calgary. I tried to look for jobs for two months but i could not find one in Calgary. I found a work from home job in April 2021 in Ontario but soon they asked me to work from office as they were opening their office after covid.

I am scared that I moved out of province and I might have issues while applying for citizenship. I have two daughters who were minor when we came, they are now adults and studying in universities.

Do i have to explain the scenario in cover letter why I moved out of province? or should I not mention it?

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi

I have a question regarding moving out of province. I have to apply for citizenship next year. But I came to Canada through AINP. I stayed in Calgary from March to April 2021 (2 months). I received my PR card and my health card in Calgary. I tried to look for jobs for two months but i could not find one in Calgary. I found a work from home job in April 2021 in Ontario but soon they asked me to work from office as they were opening their office after covid.

I am scared that I moved out of province and I might have issues while applying for citizenship. I have two daughters who were minor when we came, they are now adults and studying in universities.

Do i have to explain the scenario in cover letter why I moved out of province? or should I not mention it?
Check this out:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/any-information-on-citizenship-application-rejection-or-delays-due-to-pnp-obligation.785838/

Incan07

Jan 20, 2023
Hello all,

I am submitting my Citizenship file with my family this month. but I have a few concerns, kindly help.

1. We came to Canada as PR in Jan 2020, and we completed our 03 years time here to submit our citizenship file, do we need to file our last 03 years of tax or it is for 05 years of tenure?
2. Do we need to submit PCC also of our previous country?
3. Do we also need a passport guarantor in Canada, is it a must?

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
My application was sent back since i was missing a second identification document for minors application. I am now including a provincial health card as second identification document. The first one is the copy of the foreign passport.

My question is:
Can I resend the same old application form or should I send a new one. The application was signed October 22, 2022. Please advise

I asked this question in another thread, but hardly had any response on it. Planning to send this document by end of today.
I don’t know if you got answer already! I had same issue, i just sent it back as it is for minor(with additional proof) and adults with no changes. I put on a post it note on top of adult that this is being sent back as is w/o any changes

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Hi guys,

I am filling in my son’s application and I have the following question:
My son became PR in July 2021. We moved to Canada in March 2020 and were living in england before that. We plan to apply for citizenship in April 2023
Question 8-b of the application: has the minor been outside of canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past five years or since becoming PR:
Since my son was outside of canada before march 2020, my answer to this question is Yes. However when I put yes and start filling the dates information, I receive the error stating that the date should be after the PR date. So it is not clear to me whether this question is relevant to the five year period or only after PR date?
Thank you for your help in advance!
If you are applying in 2023, what days are you calculating to get 730(2 yrs) in past 5 years? You need to consider Apr 2018-Apr 2023. I think you should answer no. By the way how is it coming in physical days calculator since you need to be in canada for 3 years. July 2021-Apr 2023 is not 3 years or even 2 full. Something seems odd in your calculations

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Hello all,

I am submitting my Citizenship file with my family this month. but I have a few concerns, kindly help.

1. We came to Canada as PR in Jan 2020, and we completed our 03 years time here to submit our citizenship file, do we need to file our last 03 years of tax or it is for 05 years of tenure?
2. Do we need to submit PCC also of our previous country?
3. Do we also need a passport guarantor in Canada, is it a must?
1. 3 years of taxes only.
2. yes.
3. Yes. There is another alternate longer way. Don’t you know any Citizen of canada in past 1 year ?

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
I don’t know if you got answer already! I had same issue, i just sent it back as it is for minor(with additional proof) and adults with no changes. I put on a post it note on top of adult that this is being sent back as is w/o any changes
thanks for the info. the question still remains.. did they accept it or sent it back to submit with new forms?. As of now fingerscrossed. Hope they accept it. Running 2 months late on my application as the new submission date starts the second time they received it not the first time

smkatna

Feb 27, 2016
Hello all,

Citizenship application in process and i came across this situation, seeking your advice and suggestions

Issue : My DOB is correct in all documents (COPR, OLD PR card, country Passport, educational document) except new PR Card issued after name change (officer typo error in day of DOB year and month stays correct), which had flown to citizenship application (realized only after receiving Finger print request letter)

I tried to correct PR CARD with wrong information immediately in 10 days after receiving the new PR card, but IRCC rejected saying "Application incomplete as fees not paid" but it was well within 60days window from the date of issue and no fees is required for corrections due to clerical errors as per the website. (Also verbally confirmed by the customer support on call)

At the same time, I was due for Citizenship and assumed that giving correct details in application would solve the issue.
However, it backfired now.

What are my options/Suggestions now?

1. I can get the details corrected now in PR card. But not sure if it will flow to citizenship application.
2. It may or may not get updated in citizenship records. ( if it updates well and good.)

If not updated and officer notices,
Officer may request clarification or is their a risk of rejecting the application.

If office not notices and Oath ceremony confirmed. Can I get it corrected on the Citizenship certificate ?

Thanks in advance.

PGWWPP

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello,

I have started submitting my application.
In the presence calculator it is asking us to list the time we spent as temporary resident holder. I was temporary Worker from January 2018 to October 2020 and I became Permanent Resident in January 2021. During the gap between Oct 2020 and Jan 2021 I was on implied status ( waiting for my PR). Now should I select "Temporary resident permit holder" from the dropdown for this gap, or "Temporary worker" as I was still working?

thanks

wink

May 25, 2021
Hello,

I have started submitting my application.
In the presence calculator it is asking us to list the time we spent as temporary resident holder. I was temporary Worker from January 2018 to October 2020 and I became Permanent Resident in January 2021. During the gap between Oct 2020 and Jan 2021 I was on implied status ( waiting for my PR). Now should I select "Temporary resident permit holder" from the dropdown for this gap, or "Temporary worker" as I was still working?

thanks
Looks like this is one of those eternally asked questions.
Check whether any of these threads answer you question:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/physical-presence-calculator-temporary-resident-permit-holder-or-temporary-worker-for-open-work-permit.723391/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pls-help-confused-with-physical-presence-calculator.662966/post-8288435

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pls-help-confused-with-physical-presence-calculator.662966/post-8288533

Reactions: PGWWPP

Hanzmolar

Feb 5, 2016
Hello,
I am filling the application for my kid "Minor".
What should I put for this question? "Yes" or "No".
"Did the parent leave Canada for more than 1 year before February 15th, 1977?"
We came to Canada in 2019.
"Yes" will indicate that I was in Canada and I left while "No" will mean that I have been in Canada ever since. It is confusing.