+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLS HELP .. CONFUSED WITH PHYSICAL PRESENCE CALCULATOR

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I need some help as to how to declare implied status on the physical presence calculator and to the Citizenship form Question 9(B).

Below is my situation:

OPENWORK PERMIT FROM 19 AUGUST 2013 TO 18 AUG 2016

ANOTHER WORK PERMIT ISSUED (BONDED WITH MY EMPLOYER) FROM DEC 06 2016 TO AUGUST 08 2017

So, I was on the implied status from August 19, 2016, to Dec 05, 2016, around 4 months.

Kindly share your inputs and looking forward to hearing back.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Just to confirm, as I was a little unclear, you are trying to determine what option to pick from the drop-down when listing the type of status you had for these four months? The calculator only has five options:

Visitor
International Student
Temporary Worker
Temporary Resident Permit Holder
Protected Person

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Just to confirm, as I was a little unclear, you are trying to determine what option to pick from the drop-down when listing the type of status you had for these four months? The calculator only has five options:

Visitor
International Student
Temporary Worker
Temporary Resident Permit Holder
Protected Person
That's right. Would you be able to help?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
That's right. Would you be able to help?
I have no ideas beyond a guess. I just wanted to confirm my understanding of the issue as the question confused me at first until I re-checked the calculator options. It's probable others here have had this same situation - I actually know someone who has done this but given they don't have their AOR yet it doesn't seem worth asking in case they picked the wrong one!

IRCC should be able to tell you for sure if you can face calling them :)

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
I have no ideas beyond a guess. I just wanted to confirm my understanding of the issue as the question confused me at first until I re-checked the calculator options. It's probable others here have had this same situation - I actually know someone who has done this but given they don't have their AOR yet it doesn't seem worth asking in case they picked the wrong one!

IRCC should be able to tell you for sure if you can face calling them :)
Thank you. Let's see if someone faced same situation.

last_try

Feb 14, 2017
you can go with the option of "Temporary worker" from Aug 2013 to Aug 2017.. just have it a single entry and you don't need to split it.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Thank you. Let's see if someone faced same situation.
Hi, I was on implied status too while waiting for my PGWP. So I put "temporary worker" in the drop down menu on the physical presence calculator, since that would be my status had the processing not taken so long.
In the actual application form I explained the implied status when it asks to list what you were doing in the 4 year period.
I also got my AOR if this gives you more comfort. Good luck!

Reactions: Amu7809 and jc94

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
you can go with the option of "Temporary worker" from Aug 2013 to Aug 2017.. just have it a single entry and you don't need to split it.
But i became PR in june before my WP expired. So, i think in expiry date i need to put a day before i became immigrant, right?

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Hi, I was on implied status too while waiting for my PGWP. So I put "temporary worker" in the drop down menu on the physical presence calculator, since that would be my status had the processing not taken so long.
In the actual application form I explained the implied status when it asks to list what you were doing in the 4 year period.
I also got my AOR if this gives you more comfort. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I am thinking to do it a same way. Enter as single entry on calculator by adding 4 months to the actual expiry of my WP and explain the breakdown on the form

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
But i became PR in june before my WP expired. So, i think in expiry date i need to put a day before i became immigrant, right?
Yes, if you landed and became a PR on, say, November 7, 2019, the temporary worker status would end on November 6, 2019.

Reactions: Amu7809

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, if you landed and became a PR on, say, November 7, 2019, the temporary worker status would end on November 6, 2019.
Yes this is how the calculator works, in some ways it's odd as technically you were also a temporary worker for at least one minute on the 7th.

But I guess it matches the fact that if you fly out of the country at 00:01 and don't return that day, it still counts as a days physical presence in Canada because you spent at least a minute (or a second) within Canadian borders.

Of course, given Canada doesn't have exit controls when you actually pass from Canadian borders becomes an interesting question, especially if you 'leave' Canada on say Feb 1st but don't land in another country until Feb 3rd what do you list? (I had this but only after I submitted). Sort of things that generate questions and explanations at the doc check I imagine.

Reactions: Amu7809

Amu7809

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Thank you and one more question can i use my Canadian school transcript to support English language requirement?
I couldn't find a copy of my expired celpip :(:(