FSW
Visa Office......
Abu-Dhabi
Nomination.....
12/12/2018
AOR Received.
17/12/2018
Hi all,

Just thought I would update for those further behind on the process. Finally managed to speak to an agent today who confirmed that I was in review required. Unfortunately he couldn’t tell me what for or when this happened.

In short, he said that the only way to find out was by ordering the GCMS notes, as niether they or the guys who answer the CSEs have access to this info (what he said). He agreed that raising a CSE to find out the reason for the delay is pointless and he doesn’t know why IRCC say to do this.

In short he said if you are In RR status then the majority take longer than 6 months. If you have been waiting longer than six months and your background check hasn’t started on your portal, then you are probably in RR.

RR is basically where the jr analyst who first looked at the file couldn’t determine whether something met the criteria. Therefore it is put in the queue for review by a senior analyst who makes a decision. Sometimes this is simple (Eg POF query) and the senior analyst passes it quickly, which is why a bunch of people pass at 6-7 months. Sometimes it is not so easy (I.e NOC not quite matching with duties on employment reference, or difficulty verifying that a former employer exists or existed). This requires additional research and may take many months. They won’t reject the case until they have completed the investigation. He seemed to suggest that not having an ADR was positive, as all the info was present, and it is just waiting for sign off by a senior. Not sure if I believe this last bit.

The queue for review by the sr analyst can take a few months which is what pushes it over the 6 month timeline.

He assured me that work on background and security doesn’t start until eligibility is passed. However, if you have a clean criminal history and come from one of the 5 eyes countries, criminality and security can be done in a couple of days.

All in all this wasn’t great news for us in our situation, but there we go. Moral of the story, if eligibility hasn’t changed to passed by 4 months, order your GCMS notes! Ours are due by Tuesday next week, which will be nearly 7 months.
Thanks a lot for all of this @OptimisticEric , great info. Very upset i am not part of the 5 eyes countries right now :-(

When i called IRCC the other day i forgot to ask about eligibility but indeed it makes sense they wouldn't spend time on background checks if we are not eligible!
The lady confirmed the background check was in progress (there were discussions in some of the forums that us biometrics people were switching quickly to IP2 but that didn't mean background was started, but yes it is!). She said that by background check they mean both security and criminality and for us it starts with biometrics of course (which in my wild dreams would mean a faster processing time).

Laumyl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2018
Dubai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu-Dhabi
Nomination.....
12/12/2018
AOR Received.
17/12/2018
I've been wondering for a while, can we as Visa-exempt people go to Canada as a tourist (so 90 days visit max) while our Express Entry FSW-O is being processed or will they refuse entry ?
If possible, and PPR comes during the visit we could have the COPR delivered in Canada or US and then fly or drive to the US get the COPR and cross the border again ?

OptimisticEric

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
I've been wondering for a while, can we as Visa-exempt people go to Canada as a tourist (so 90 days visit max) while our Express Entry FSW-O is being processed or will they refuse entry ?
If possible, and PPR comes during the visit we could have the COPR delivered in Canada or US and then fly or drive to the US get the COPR and cross the border again ?
Hey Laumyl,

We came to Canada on a tourist visa in July 2018 and have been here ever since. We asked the Canadian Embassy In The UK if it were an issue and were told that all we had to do was prove we had enough money not to be a burden, or a return flight. I would check with your local embassy though.

COPR wise, once approved, you can get it done in Canada and activate it at the US border. However, I have been told you need a forwarding address in Canada for various admin issues. We were planning to use a friends address for this purpose.

OptimisticEric

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Thanks a lot for all of this @OptimisticEric , great info. Very upset i am not part of the 5 eyes countries right now :-(

When i called IRCC the other day i forgot to ask about eligibility but indeed it makes sense they wouldn't spend time on background checks if we are not eligible!
The lady confirmed the background check was in progress (there were discussions in some of the forums that us biometrics people were switching quickly to IP2 but that didn't mean background was started, but yes it is!). She said that by background check they mean both security and criminality and for us it starts with biometrics of course (which in my wild dreams would mean a faster processing time).
Re: 5 eyes country. I wouldn’t worry. It hasn’t done me any good whatsoever so far!

Laumyl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2018
Dubai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu-Dhabi
Nomination.....
12/12/2018
AOR Received.
17/12/2018
Hey Laumyl,

We came to Canada on a tourist visa in July 2018 and have been here ever since. We asked the Canadian Embassy In The UK if it were an issue and were told that all we had to do was prove we had enough money not to be a burden, or a return flight. I would check with your local embassy though.

COPR wise, once approved, you can get it done in Canada and activate it at the US border. However, I have been told you need a forwarding address in Canada for various admin issues. We were planning to use a friends address for this purpose.
Great info, so you just extend your visit visa or do you go to the US border every 90 days ? One more question, i read you can drive on foreign license for 90 days did you manage to exchange it after that without being a resident? Thanks!

OptimisticEric

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Great info, so you just extend your visit visa or do you go to the US border every 90 days ? One more question, i read you can drive on foreign license for 90 days did you manage to exchange it after that without being a resident? Thanks!
We got 6 months on landing, and then extended it online at Christmas (we are currently on ‘implied status’, which means they haven’t approved it yet, but we are allowed to stay until they make a decision). You can do the border as well, but there is always the risk they won’t let you back in!

You can drive on a foreign license (providing it is recognised by the province you are driving in). Some say up to 3 months, some up to 6 months. However, if you want to buy a car, the rules are different in each province. We bought a car in Ontario, and in order to get it insured, I had to exchange my uk license for an Ontario one (3 hour queue, an eye test and a photo) before I could get it insured. Insurance was then an absolute nightmare. If I had bought a car in BC i could have done it all with the UK license and it would have been a lot cheaper!

Reactions: Laumyl

Nat.wilde

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Hey guys,

Just picking up on what OptimisticEric has said.

So my eligibility is currently: we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements
Passed the medical
No ADR
Interview: you do not need an interview
Biometrics: completed
Background check: we are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information
Final decision: your application is in progress.

I haven't ordered GCSM notes as my husband is concerned about our personal information being handled by a third party and is looking into the legislation.

For those who has spoken with agents help me out? Is it likely that we're in Review required? We've got 53 days left on the estimated 6 month deadline.

Properly stressed out now. :(

Nat.wilde

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Hey guys,

So my eligibility is currently: we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements
Passed the medical
No ADR
Background check: we are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information

I haven't ordered GCSM notes as my husband is concerned about our personal information being handled by a third party and is looking into the legislation.

For those who has spoken with agents help me out? Is it likely that we're in Review required? We've got 53 days left on the estimated 6 month deadline.

Sorry 52 days left not 53

Gruff

Star Member
Jun 2, 2018
Hey guys,

Passed the medical
No ADR

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain is to see your GCMS notes. You can speak to agents but getting a non-generic response is difficult and additionally I was told eligibility appears met but was actually review required.

More bad news is that recently most U.K. applicants now go over the 6 month mark based on immitracker. Cic claim that 80% of applicants are done in 6 months is pretty much untrue now as we only recently saw 80% of June applicants finally get processed and July currently sits at 74% (so realistically about 55-60% get processed in 6 months now). Basically be prepared for a 7-8 month wait from AoR but with the offchance it may come sooner

Granted it’s the only data we have to go on and there will be variables but you can see the trend of slow down over the last year.

Regardless try not to stress, if you can order some GCMS and it will put some fears to rest or if you have a review required it gives you a reason to proactively address the reason rather than waiting for cic to send a procedural fairness letter.

Once you pass the six month mark you will get responses from CSE (case specific enquiry) so raise them weekly or call if you are willing to wait in a queue. It may not make a difference but it gives you a focus and it may get someone to look at your file.:)

Nat.wilde

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Unfortunately the only way to know for certain is to see your GCMS notes. You can speak to agents but getting a non-generic response is difficult and additionally I was told eligibility appears met but was actually review required.

More bad news is that recently most U.K. applicants now go over the 6 month mark based on immitracker. Cic claim that 80% of applicants are done in 6 months is pretty much untrue now as we only recently saw 80% of June applicants finally get processed and July currently sits at 74% (so realistically about 55-60% get processed in 6 months now). Basically be prepared for a 7-8 month wait from AoR but with the offchance it may come sooner

Granted it’s the only data we have to go on and there will be variables but you can see the trend of slow down over the last year.

Regardless try not to stress, if you can order some GCMS and it will put some fears to rest or if you have a review required it gives you a reason to proactively address the reason rather than waiting for cic to send a procedural fairness letter.

Once you pass the six month mark you will get responses from CSE (case specific enquiry) so raise them weekly or call if you are willing to wait in a queue. It may not make a difference but it gives you a focus and it may get someone to look at your file.:)

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I definitely want to request my notes l, just waiting on the hubby doing his research. He's very thorough in

Gruff

Star Member
Jun 2, 2018
Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I definitely want to request my notes l, just waiting on the hubby doing his research. He's very thorough in
I understand his reservations, I wouldn’t order GCMS notes either out of principle; the call centre agents should tell you if your file has a problem but nope you have to use a third party to request notes o_O I’ve never encountered anything like it

But that’s just me, if you want the actual truth on your files status it’s either buy the notes or wait for cic to send you PPR if all is fine or a procedural fairness letter if there is a problem.

RayBear

Dec 13, 2018
UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
2281/2282
App. Filed.......
19-12-2018
AOR Received.
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-12-2018
Called them today and the wait wasn't too bad.

Criminality: Passed
Security: In progress
Eligibility: Not started

AOR Dec19th so not surprised with the details but seems to suggest the theory of eligibility completing before other things proceed is not the case, alas

OptimisticEric

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Called them today and the wait wasn't too bad.

Criminality: Passed
Security: In progress
Eligibility: Not started

AOR Dec19th so not surprised with the details but seems to suggest the theory of eligibility completing before other things proceed is not the case, alas
I absolutely love that according to the agent I spoke to 2 days ago, this is supposedly impossible!
On the one hand, it gives me hope that everything I was told was complete bollocks.
On the other hand, the fact it is only their inconsistency that gives me hope can’t be a good thing.

RayBear

Dec 13, 2018
UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
2281/2282
App. Filed.......
19-12-2018
AOR Received.
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-12-2018
I absolutely love that according to the agent I spoke to 2 days ago, this is supposedly impossible!
On the one hand, it gives me hope that everything I was told was complete bollocks.
On the other hand, the fact it is only their inconsistency that gives me hope can’t be a good thing.
To be honest, I think they're trained to avoid negative positions. Criminality being passed "suggests it's probably a strong application"

It's not strong if no one has checked to confirm I'm eligible =P

Tomifonication

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Did anyone here do their medical upfront? I've received ITA and am currently completing the forms, but am yet to get to the document-upload stage. That said, I've booked my medical for next week so I'm curious of everyone's experience.