+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicants from Europe and USA

TheNorms

Dec 21, 2017
Canada
$1.40 a litre, surely? $1.40 a gallon, that would be incredible value!
It is great value when you work out the cost from gallon to litre out into GBP, and when we first came over we were also wow this is dirt cheap. We soon stopped comparing costs of things compared to the UK. We pay around $60 to fill our car which is about £33 and the fuel price has just gone upto $1.14.

Laumyl

Star Member
Oct 6, 2018
Dubai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu-Dhabi
Nomination.....
12/12/2018
AOR Received.
17/12/2018
@Laumyl I’m a long haul truck driver my wife is now looking for a job now we have PR. On my skill level spouses can’t work while I was under a work permit. She is finding that she won’t be able to do what she is qualified in, but is hoping to be able to stay under the financial umbrella.
PEI, is very quiet out of tourist season, on the job front it really depends on your trade. Charlottetown is the capital and Summerside is the next biggest town. Some great pubs in Charlottetown the Churchill arms is a must for a bit of home comforts of a British pub. The fishing villages are beautiful and the beaches are great. The summer is hot but we do get a lovely breeze.

If you want the quiet life PEI is a great place, one negative is wages are on the lowest side and the cost of living is high especially in the tourist season, the fuel prices well this winter 98c a gallon by summer it will be upto 1.40 a gallon! House prices aren’t that bad, for a large 4 bed family home you are looking around $350,000, you can buy a couple of acres for $10,000.
It’s good that you are doing a road trip, it’s always good to fully explore possible different provinces, hope this info is useful on PEI.
Thanks a lot for all the information, looking forward to be in PEI in a few months! Jobwise it will be quite unlikely we both would manage to work there but who knows!! But well when i'll worry about finding a job it will mean that we received the residency so i think that at that stage we'll be happy to go pretty much anywhere outside of Toronto (too big).

Reactions: TheNorms

RayBear

Dec 13, 2018
UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
2281/2282
App. Filed.......
19-12-2018
AOR Received.
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-12-2018
What have you found the most challenging about the move to PEI? Or just in general?
We just have ourselves to move, and we're emotionally ready to leave the UK but it's definitely a scary prospect of leaving a comfortable life and family friends etc behind
With my wife being from Canada we're moving closer to family on her side so the biggest anxiety for me is leaving my comfortable-living wage job that I've been in for...8 years now?

Trying to offset that by just saving as much as possible. It feels impossible to gauge the cost of living to get a feel for what it's actually going to cost to live month to month in Toronto. I know folks who have lived there their whole lives who spend almost nothing on food where the average templates online suggest cost of living is really high and are often based on families of 3-4.

At this point, I won't feel confident in savings and how they'll stretch until we're over there and living settled for a few months.

TheNorms

Dec 21, 2017
Canada
With my wife being from Canada we're moving closer to family on her side so the biggest anxiety for me is leaving my comfortable-living wage job that I've been in for...8 years now?

Trying to offset that by just saving as much as possible. It feels impossible to gauge the cost of living to get a feel for what it's actually going to cost to live month to month in Toronto. I know folks who have lived there their whole lives who spend almost nothing on food where the average templates online suggest cost of living is really high and are often based on families of 3-4.

At this point, I won't feel confident in savings and how they'll stretch until we're over there and living settled for a few months.
It is hard to adjustment and when we look back to what we had worked hard for in the uk and left behind it does make you gutted but on the other hand we know we will have a very good life in Canada it will just take time to rebuild our life and savings!
The other bit of advice I would give to everyone is do not treat it as a holiday when you first arrive, it’s hard not to especially for the first few months but thats when home sickness kicks in very quickly.
Yes agree having a very good savings pot is a must, with my wife not being able to work we knew living on one wage wouldn’t be easy. Toronto is very expensive but the wages are high, just like Vancouver. I guess with your wife being a Canadian and moving to be near her family it will be nice for you to have that family comfort.

RayBear

Dec 13, 2018
UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
2281/2282
App. Filed.......
19-12-2018
AOR Received.
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-12-2018
It is hard to adjustment and when we look back to what we had worked hard for in the uk and left behind it does make you gutted but on the other hand we know we will have a very good life in Canada it will just take time to rebuild our life and savings!
The other bit of advice I would give to everyone is do not treat it as a holiday when you first arrive, it’s hard not to especially for the first few months but thats when home sickness kicks in very quickly.
Yes agree having a very good savings pot is a must, with my wife not being able to work we knew living on one wage wouldn’t be easy. Toronto is very expensive but the wages are high, just like Vancouver. I guess with your wife being a Canadian and moving to be near her family it will be nice for you to have that family comfort.
I'm probably going to look into recruitment/temp agencies initially for "survival work". Once I can get the kind of role I do now, it'll be much more comfortable living. The sooner I can stop eating into savings once we move, the happier I'll be, so no vacation for me =P

Reactions: TheNorms

Scottish Aly

Star Member
Dec 20, 2018
Scotland UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Just off the phone with IRCC as I hit half way yesterday.
30mins on hold and spoke to a nice agent called Abraham.
Criminality: Passed
Eligibility & security: Not Started

Experts out there, is this normal for 3months in?

Vitamin26

Mar 17, 2016
For British and Irish citizens, did you guys submit passports or just passport copies to the London consulate for CoPR? I am a bit confused by the Ready for Visa email. It's not 100% clear.

juanagmz

Star Member
Mar 11, 2019
Hi! I am a French citizens, living in Canada, CEC inland.

My timeline :
AOR - October 24
Medical - November 23
IP2 - March 10 (eligibility passed, criminality passed, security not started)

I called yesterday morning and still the same...

Nat.wilde

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Hey guys

So we submitted our docs to the Canadian high commission in London and ice received a request for more photos as ours didn't 'meet the requirements' they were passport style photos taken in a booth but I think I cut/trimmed them too short.

Anyway the specs say it has to be a commercial photographer...has anyone who received PPR and CoPR sent passport style photos? Help would be appreciated.

VickiC

Jan 30, 2019
Canada
I think it would be hard to use a passport booth photo. I'm not sure if you can get a booth to do the right size (50mm x 70mm) - much bigger than our UK passport photos. And even if the booth would do the right size, you have to have the name, address and date of the commercial photographer written on one of the photos.

Sadly I'm inland so I can't recommend a photographer in the UK but hopefully others can.

Reactions: Nat.wilde

Nat.wilde

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
I think it would be hard to use a passport booth photo. I'm not sure if you can get a booth to do the right size (50mm x 70mm) - much bigger than our UK passport photos. And even if the booth would do the right size, you have to have the name, address and date of the commercial photographer written on one of the photos.

Sadly I'm inland so I can't recommend a photographer in the UK but hopefully others can.
Thank you

RayBear

Dec 13, 2018
UK
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
2281/2282
App. Filed.......
19-12-2018
AOR Received.
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-12-2018
We're going to book with a photographer.
Thank you!
Jessops do them to the proper standards. They don't want uk passport photo standards. Ask in Jessops for Canada Visa photos and they'll do them with a camera in about 15 minutes

Vitamin26

Mar 17, 2016
Hey guys

So we submitted our docs to the Canadian high commission in London and ice received a request for more photos as ours didn't 'meet the requirements' they were passport style photos taken in a booth but I think I cut/trimmed them too short.

Anyway the specs say it has to be a commercial photographer...has anyone who received PPR and CoPR sent passport style photos? Help would be appreciated.
Any Snappy Snaps shops will do photos for you. They have all the right measurements as well and know what to do.