+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Strange! I got my GCMS today. Its same as what it was in March. Same points. 5 points for 2-year PhD Study.
My security/medical/criminality due date is still December, 2014!

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
s-r-z said:
I got a problem here that I think is shared with many other PhD students, I am on scholarship; my payment literally comes from TA and RA (almost half and half), but our department officially named it scholarship. So in the HR letter it is mentioned that I am being paid by a scholarship, and I am not paying tax for that.

Can scholarships be claimed as RA/TA for NOC 4012?
Officially, there is no requirement that your salary must be taxable. But the problem with that is they can argue your letter does not clearly say you have been paid for the work you've been doing; the scholarship could have been only a financial support for you as a student! You should be able to fix that by a letter from your supervisor and your department. Actually I don't know why you're bothering with HR if your department and prof are okay with producing ref letters for you.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
I guess no one can say for sure what the chances are...
But don't be very hopeful if you can't provide enough documents for your teaching experience in your home country to make sure it meets the requirement of hours(1560 continuous)/ and NOC descriptions.
If you can put good work experience letters in your file, then you can pass 67 with high language test scores.

vista said:
Hi guys,
I'm doubtful if I have any chance to pass the eligibility, so I thought it would be wiser to consult with you and then start applying or even stop thinking about it:
1. I will pass my second year in PhD program in Sept 2014, and I have had 540 hours of RA in total (10hs/a week) during these past two years. I also have 2 years experience of part-time teaching at universities in my homeland without any pay stub and hours have not be mentioned in the proof issued by those universities.
2. I cannot have $12000 in my bank account for a long time. I might borrow it from sb and get a one week bank letter at most.
3. I don't have any family members and relatives residing in Canada.
I've noticed that the PhD stream will be removed on Jan 2015, so I'm stressed about it and I don't know if I should apply for it in sept or not. documents preparation is costly, so I would like to know if my chance is below 50% percent, then I will forget about it.
Thanks for your help in advance!

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aalm said:
Strange! I got my GCMS today. Its same as what it was in March. Same points. 5 points for 2-year PhD Study.
When was it generated? (it's written at the bottom of every page)

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
aalm said:
This actually makes sense, except that we all heard from CIC a lot sooner. When was it generated and you should order another one right now and see what has happened since.

paraview

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/12/2013
AOR Received.
05/02/2013
File Transfer...
17/02/2013
Med's Request
06/09/2014
Med's Done....
11/09/2014
Passport Req..
30/09/2014
VISA ISSUED...
14/10/2014
The government, including CIC, only fully trust your work hours if you have T4, pay stub, NOA, ROE or other official documents. Working without taxable payment is doubtful.

Thus you can provide letters explaining about this either by your boss or the department (like most of us did for our application). No one can guarantee it will work but statistically you can expect the good side.

s-r-z said:
I got a problem here that I think is shared with many other PhD students, I am on scholarship; my payment literally comes from TA and RA (almost half and half), but our department officially named it scholarship. So in the HR letter it is mentioned that I am being paid by a scholarship, and I am not paying tax for that.

Can scholarships be claimed as RA/TA for NOC 4012?

Uwindsor2009

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Sorry friends. I have been off from this forum for quite long time.

Please note my time line during the process of my PR application:

Visa Office: New Delhi
Application Submitted: 4 Feb 2013
Medical request, RPRF, passport request: 20 September 2013
Received COPR: 4 Feb 2014
Landed: 28 Mar 2014

Thank you

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Its generated June 25, 2014. I have got medical call on July 21, 2014.

sia_kb8 said:
This actually makes sense, except that we all heard from CIC a lot sooner. When was it generated and you should order another one right now and see what has happened since.

vista

Jul 25, 2014
A quick question:
Is PhD stream going to be removed in future? I mean I'm not eligible this year to apply but next year I will be. however, I've heard that they are going to make some changes in January 2015.

paraview

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/12/2013
AOR Received.
05/02/2013
File Transfer...
17/02/2013
Med's Request
06/09/2014
Med's Done....
11/09/2014
Passport Req..
30/09/2014
VISA ISSUED...
14/10/2014
Cap for this year (till May 2015) is 500 for FSW PHD stream.

EOI will replace CEC, FSW, PNP from January 2015. You can estimate your score now using Australian system to get a rough idea about EOI.

vista said:
A quick question:
Is PhD stream going to be removed in future? I mean I'm not eligible this year to apply but next year I will be. however, I've heard that they are going to make some changes in January 2015.

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
Jubayer said:
Most probably, no. But I would strongly suggest to maintain your funds until you land.

Jubayer
There have been situations (previously reported on this forum) where they asked for proof of funds at the time of landing.

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
vista said:
Hi guys,
I'm doubtful if I have any chance to pass the eligibility, so I thought it would be wiser to consult with you and then start applying or even stop thinking about it:
1. I will pass my second year in PhD program in Sept 2014, and I have had 540 hours of RA in total (10hs/a week) during these past two years. I also have 2 years experience of part-time teaching at universities in my homeland without any pay stub and hours have not be mentioned in the proof issued by those universities.
2. I cannot have $12000 in my bank account for a long time. I might borrow it from sb and get a one week bank letter at most.
3. I don't have any family members and relatives residing in Canada.
I've noticed that the PhD stream will be removed on Jan 2015, so I'm stressed about it and I don't know if I should apply for it in sept or not. documents preparation is costly, so I would like to know if my chance is below 50% percent, then I will forget about it.
Thanks for your help in advance!
I am sorry, but from what you have stated, you do not have sufficient funds nor sufficient work experience. Please know that the minimum one-year continuous work experience needs to be from a single NOC code. You can have additional work experience from multiple NOC codes for purpose of acquiring more points, but the minimum needs to be meet from a single NOC code.

Reports from other members in this forum show that CIC is particular about these two items and sufficient documentation is essential. Details are in previous posts in this forum.

If you can address both of these issues then certainly go ahead and apply.

rogelio

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
23-12-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Can anyone tell many what pages of my passport must be submitted? Just name, place of birth, TR visa, Canadian entry stamps? Or any page containing an entry stamp (not necessarily Canadian?)

It is not properly explained in the checklist.

s-r-z

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2015
Nomination.....
18-12-2015
cantaloupe said:
Officially, there is no requirement that your salary must be taxable. But the problem with that is they can argue your letter does not clearly say you have been paid for the work you've been doing; the scholarship could have been only a financial support for you as a student! You should be able to fix that by a letter from your supervisor and your department. Actually I don't know why you're bothering with HR if your department and prof are okay with producing ref letters for you.
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately, the letter from department also mentions that payments have been through scholarship, because officially it is, although I am working as RA and TA. I can not to include HR and department letters but I am afraid just a letter from my supervisor would not be enough.