+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
I have 2 questions:
1. can we submit the IELTS report without being in an envelope?
2. Can we submit the current balance without putting 6 month account history at the time of applying?

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Congratz!
How long did they take to stamp VISA on your passport?
Who was your program assistant?

Thanks.

chakri264 said:
Just received my passport with a visa and COPR in Canada post. Will do the landing Soon. :)

paraview

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/12/2013
AOR Received.
05/02/2013
File Transfer...
17/02/2013
Med's Request
06/09/2014
Med's Done....
11/09/2014
Passport Req..
30/09/2014
VISA ISSUED...
14/10/2014
1. Yes
2. Yes. But they may ask for the 6 months history anytime after receive your package. I know someone get the request in 3 weeks.

Viva2014 said:
I have 2 questions:
1. can we submit the IELTS report without being in an envelope?
2. Can we submit the current balance without putting 6 month account history at the time of applying?

rogelio

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
23-12-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
23-02-2015
I would like to claim one year RA experience in Canada. What is the "safe" amount of hours per week? 17? 20? or 25? Would they accept 1600 hours as 1 year? Or should I claim at least 1900-2000?

P.S I know, 1560 counts as one year, just want a confirmation from someone's experience.

paraview

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/12/2013
AOR Received.
05/02/2013
File Transfer...
17/02/2013
Med's Request
06/09/2014
Med's Done....
11/09/2014
Passport Req..
30/09/2014
VISA ISSUED...
14/10/2014
My opinion about RA/TA hours is as follows, hopefully can help to answer this most popular but hardest question.

Principle: VO is human being. Therefore there is no answer for "enough" hours that can guarantee the "pass".

If your support document is strong, then VO will be happy to go through it quicker and eariser (Just like what we did during marking as TA). Otherwise, VO can (and as shown before they will) find various reason to reject the application.

In my opinion, there are two aspects need to be proved for the RA/TA work: hours and payments. You need to prove both.
I think these documents are strong to weak support.
1. If you have contracts (ask your department HR) which clearly mentioned paid hours, it's great.
2. If you claimed your tax each year and have your T4 and NOA, it at least shows you've been paid for work.
3. If you have monthly pay stubs, it has hours and payment (maybe also tax deduction etc) thus will help.
4. If you have nothing above but just have a letter from your supervisor or your department. How could you expect the VO will not suspicious it at all?

In all, provide strong and as much as support document as you can. Otherwise questioning how many hours is "enough" or should claim is not yet as useful as cross your fingers.

Here is what's in the VO's manual:
"R76(3) makes possible substituted evaluation by an officer. This authority may be used if an officer believes the point total is not a sufficient indicator of whether or not the applicant may become economically established in Canada.
The scope of what an officer might consider as relevant cannot be limited by a prescribed list of factors to be used in support of exercising substituted evaluation."

rogelio said:
I would like to claim one year RA experience in Canada. What is the "safe" amount of hours per week? 17? 20? or 25? Would they accept 1600 hours as 1 year? Or should I claim at least 1900-2000?

P.S I know, 1560 counts as one year, just want a confirmation from someone's experience.

amir_hb

Oct 27, 2013
Well, I don't think anyone on this forum has had her/his application refused by means of the officer's substituted evaluation. Officers can only use their power to substitute their evaluation in favor of, or against an applicant with respect to "score requirement". In the case of negative substitution, they must first inform the applicant of their concerns and allow them to provide an answer.

paraview said:
My opinion about RA/TA hours is as follows, hopefully can help to answer this most popular but hardest question.

Principle: VO is human being. Therefore there is no answer for "enough" hours that can guarantee the "pass".

If your support document is strong, then VO will be happy to go through it quicker and eariser (Just like what we did during marking as TA). Otherwise, VO can (and as shown before they will) find various reason to reject the application.

In my opinion, there are two aspects need to be proved for the RA/TA work: hours and payments. You need to prove both.
I think these documents are strong to weak support.
1. If you have contracts (ask your department HR) which clearly mentioned paid hours, it's great.
2. If you claimed your tax each year and have your T4 and NOA, it at least shows you've been paid for work.
3. If you have monthly pay stubs, it has hours and payment (maybe also tax deduction etc) thus will help.
4. If you have nothing above but just have a letter from your supervisor or your department. How could you expect the VO will not suspicious it at all?

In all, provide strong and as much as support document as you can. Otherwise questioning how many hours is "enough" or should claim is not yet as useful as cross your fingers.

Here is what's in the VO's manual:
"R76(3) makes possible substituted evaluation by an officer. This authority may be used if an officer believes the point total is not a sufficient indicator of whether or not the applicant may become economically established in Canada.
The scope of what an officer might consider as relevant cannot be limited by a prescribed list of factors to be used in support of exercising substituted evaluation."

paraview

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPPO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/12/2013
AOR Received.
05/02/2013
File Transfer...
17/02/2013
Med's Request
06/09/2014
Med's Done....
11/09/2014
Passport Req..
30/09/2014
VISA ISSUED...
14/10/2014
I can't agree more. That's what the "document request" and the interview for. There are people get rejected after submitting the supplementary documents such as bank history thus substituted evaluation matters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"11.2. Substituted Evaluation at the processing office
If an officer decides to use substituted evaluation when ...
a. the applicant did meet the pass mark (i.e., negative substituted evaluation)
b. the applicant did not meet the pass mark (i.e., positive substituted evaluation)

Then the officer will ...
a. communicate their concerns to the applicant and provide sufficient opportunity to the applicant to respond to these concerns, through correspondence or an interview; obtain written concurrence from a designated officer.
b. obtain written concurrence from a designated officer."
---------------------------------------------

Good luck to all of us anyway!

amir_hb said:
Well, I don't think anyone on this forum has had her/his application refused by means of the officer's substituted evaluation. Officers can only use their power to substitute their evaluation in favor of, or against an applicant with respect to "score requirement". In the case of negative substitution, they must first inform the applicant of their concerns and allow them to provide an answer.

captain1982

May 31, 2013
Hi All.

I have a question. I got email for passport request today with title of "Ready for Visa". My status is still "in process". I queses they should change it to "decision made", but they did not. Am I right?

Thanks

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
aalm said:
Congratz!
How long did they take to stamp VISA on your passport?
Who was your program assistant?

Thanks.
They took 9 days... Saturday and Sunday Inclusive. Did you mean to ask who sent me the RPRF and Medical requests? If yes, it was RK6165.

s-r-z

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2015
Nomination.....
18-12-2015
paraview said:
In my opinion, there are two aspects need to be proved for the RA/TA work: hours and payments.
I got a problem here that I think is shared with many other PhD students, I am on scholarship; my payment literally comes from TA and RA (almost half and half), but our department officially named it scholarship. So in the HR letter it is mentioned that I am being paid by a scholarship, and I am not paying tax for that.

Can scholarships be claimed as RA/TA for NOC 4012?

Phdstreamfsw

Jul 25, 2014
captain1982 said:
Hi All.

I have a question. I got email for passport request today with title of "Ready for Visa". My status is still "in process". I queses they should change it to "decision made", but they did not. Am I right?

Thanks

Hi
They will change it within 48-72 hours I believe. Would you please share your timeline with us then we can have some ideas about processing time?
Thank you!
Congrats :)

vista

Jul 25, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm doubtful if I have any chance to pass the eligibility, so I thought it would be wiser to consult with you and then start applying or even stop thinking about it:
1. I will pass my second year in PhD program in Sept 2014, and I have had 540 hours of RA in total (10hs/a week) during these past two years. I also have 2 years experience of part-time teaching at universities in my homeland without any pay stub and hours have not be mentioned in the proof issued by those universities.
2. I cannot have $12000 in my bank account for a long time. I might borrow it from sb and get a one week bank letter at most.
3. I don't have any family members and relatives residing in Canada.
I've noticed that the PhD stream will be removed on Jan 2015, so I'm stressed about it and I don't know if I should apply for it in sept or not. documents preparation is costly, so I would like to know if my chance is below 50% percent, then I will forget about it.
Thanks for your help in advance!

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Thanks! Your VO is really fast.

chakri264 said:
They took 9 days... Saturday and Sunday Inclusive. Did you mean to ask who sent me the RPRF and Medical requests? If yes, it was RK6165.