Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Passport Req..
05-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-01-2016
When I called to book an in-office appointment the call centre didn't ask for info but rather transferred me to an immigration officer who asked about my client ID, file number, date of birth, etc. But I didn't proceed further when I learned that it will take at least three weeks before a CIC officer will contact me to give me an appointment. It is possible to book in advance, but I am not sure if they would ask about your CoPR info. Perhaps you can try and see? It cost me about 40 min waiting though...

espg_007 said:
Congrats to the new landers ;)

Quick questions, what info is necessary to book an appointment for an in-office landing? Is it possible to book one say one month in advance? I received the RFV email but won't be able to send my passport until February as I'm travelling, but was wondering if I could expedite the landing process. (Don't have a car so flag-polling seems tricky)

Thanks!

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks nighttrain for the answer.

Diplomatru said:
Rent a car, maybe?
Yep, it looks like this is what I'll end up doing. I also need to do my G license test so maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone.

I only sent my passport today (got PPR ~2 weeks ago but was travelling). Has anyone sent (and received their passport recently)? I'm hoping it is still in the 1-2 week timescale?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
espg_007 said:
Thanks nighttrain for the answer.

Yep, it looks like this is what I'll end up doing. I also need to do my G license test so maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone.
Visit your local Enterprise. They know their stuff.

nmogh

Mar 11, 2015
espg_007 said:
Has anyone sent (and received their passport recently)? I'm hoping it is still in the 1-2 week timescale?
Ottawa received my passport on Jan 22th and they just sent it back yesterday (tracking number activated). I think I will receive it tomorrow.

nmogh

Mar 11, 2015
Guys, I have a question about landing/moving to Quebec:

When I applied for PR, I was a PhD student in BC. Now I am graduated and currently working in Quebec. I am going to land next week but I am a little bit nervous about landing at Quebec border or using a Quebec address for my PR card. I have heard that once you have your immigration visa in hand, it does not matter anymore whether you live inside or outside the Quebec Province. On the other hand, I have used a BC address on my application and have told CIC that my intention is to live outside Quebec.

Does anyone have any related experience to share?

Thanks

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Hi,

So, I will need to travel abroad for a week after I do landing (and probably before I receive the PR card) and I'm trying to figure out the situation. I don't think I'll have time to get PRTD.

From CIC's website:
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
Suppose the airline (by mistake) doesn't check if you have a PR card (only checks that you have a valid visa). What happens when you arrive in Canada? Will the officer deny entry? After landing one is legally are permanent resident, right? And COPR could prove it? Plus, they must be able to check it in their records/system.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
espg_007 said:
Hi,

So, I will need to travel abroad for a week after I do landing (and probably before I receive the PR card) and I'm trying to figure out the situation. I don't think I'll have time to get PRTD.

From CIC's website:
Suppose the airline (by mistake) doesn't check if you have a PR card (only checks that you have a valid visa). What happens when you arrive in Canada? Will the officer deny entry? After landing one is legally are permanent resident, right? And COPR could prove it? Plus, they must be able to check it in their records/system.

Your CoPR cannot be used for entering to Canada (as clearly stated in CoPR: "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL"). Thus, you might be denied from entering to Canada without PR card or PRTD. This was the same issue for one of my friends as well and he finally traveled and landed when he came back.
If your travel is urgent, I would suggest you to travel and land when you come back.

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Viva2014 said:
Your CoPR cannot be used for entering to Canada (as clearly stated in CoPR: "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL"). Thus, you might be denied from entering to Canada without PR card or PRTD. This was the same issue for one of my friends as well and he finally traveled and landed when he came back.
If your travel is urgent, I would suggest you to travel and land when you come back.
Hi Viva2014, thank you for your comment.

I wonder why they specify that you need the PR card for "boarding your flight, etc." but don't say anything about what happens when you get to the border officer. I think the officer should be able to confirm if you are a PR (and that you are waiting for the card).

I'm thinking that I can get on the plane back to Canada by fooling the airline people by showing my "valid" student visa (my PR visa is on another passport) and then explain to the immigration officer that I don't have the PR card yet.

Also, do you know why it says that the PR card is not required if entering by car?

I have to say that this whole thing is very annoying and actually affects my work (I travel constantly for my research work). A big point of having PR is being able to enter/leave Canada, right? Of course this wouldn't be a problem if they would just give the stupid card when landing instead of months after (73 days according to their website). Has anyone from here received their PR card yet?

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
espg_007 said:
Hi Viva2014, thank you for your comment.

I wonder why they specify that you need the PR card for "boarding your flight, etc." but don't say anything about what happens when you get to the border officer. I think the officer should be able to confirm if you are a PR (and that you are waiting for the card).

I'm thinking that I can get on the plane back to Canada by fooling the airline people by showing my "valid" student visa (my PR visa is on another passport) and then explain to the immigration officer that I don't have the PR card yet.

Also, do you know why it says that the PR card is not required if entering by car?

I have to say that this whole thing is very annoying and actually affects my work (I travel constantly for my research work). A big point of having PR is being able to enter/leave Canada, right? Of course this wouldn't be a problem if they would just give the stupid card when landing instead of months after (73 days according to their website). Has anyone from here received their PR card yet?
I strongly recommend you not to use your student visa after your landing as it will not be valid anymore. It can cause you serious problems.
There is an option for urgent processing of PR card. If your case persuades them, they will issue your PR card faster (no idea how long it takes). Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp

I do not know the reason for that fact which you will not need PR card or PRTD if you enter Canada by car but I think it will not affect your case as you mentioned you are traveling by plane.

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Viva2014 said:
I strongly recommend you not to use your student visa after your landing as it will not be valid anymore. It can cause you serious problems.
There is an option for urgent processing of PR card. If your case persuades them, they will issue your PR card faster (no idea how long it takes). Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp

I do not know the reason for that fact which you will not need PR card or PRTD if you enter Canada by car but I think it will not affect your case as you mentioned you are traveling by plane.
Hi Viva,

As usual thank you very much for taking the time to share your insight. I agree that using the student visa could lead to serious problems.

Luckily the processing time for new PR cards has gone down from 73 to 42 days. I'm hoping it stays down, as this would be enough time to get mine in time for my trip. My passport should be back on Friday (the tracking was just activated tonight) so I think I'll land over the weekend.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
espg_007 said:
Hi Viva,

As usual thank you very much for taking the time to share your insight. I agree that using the student visa could lead to serious problems.

Luckily the processing time for new PR cards has gone down from 73 to 42 days. I'm hoping it stays down, as this would be enough time to get mine in time for my trip. My passport should be back on Friday (the tracking was just activated tonight) so I think I'll land over the weekend.
You are very welcome :)

Glad to hear that and wish you smooth landing.

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Viva2014 said:
You are very welcome :)

Glad to hear that and wish you smooth landing.
Thanks!

Landed last night at Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls). What better place to land than next to one of the wonders of the world :)?

It was VERY smooth. No one else was around (~10:30pm) so the whole thing (including US flag-poling) took only ~30 minutes.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
espg_007 said:
Thanks!

Landed last night at Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls). What better place to land than next to one of the wonders of the world :)?

It was VERY smooth. No one else was around (~10:30pm) so the whole thing (including US flag-poling) took only ~30 minutes.

Big congrats :)

Enjoy your new life status in Canada ;)

Nick89

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

I have a Canadian Phd and 3 years of postdoc experience outside Canada. I don`t have any teaching experience so I won`t be able to apply under NOC 4011.

Any one got PR as Postdoc under NOC 2115 for Postdoc? My research focuses on composite materials and ceramics. The problem is under the main duties mentioned in NOC 2115 there is only one duty for material scientists. I was wondering if that would be a problem. Also Postdoc job title is mentioned under NOC 4011. I am really confused. Please help.

PS: My application was once rejected due to missing a lead statement in the reference letter (FSW Phd stream). I don’t want to make any mistake this time.

Many thanks in advance.

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
guys,
sorry to deviate from the thread topic. Can someone please guide me on getting an admission for pHd in Signal processing(electronics) in canada... This is for my wife. i ll give her profile below..

BTech( Bachelor of engineering, India) - 3.74/4.00 CGPA (WES Course by course evaluation)
MTech( Master of engineering, India) - 3.67/4.00 CGPA (WES Course by course evaluation)
PhD (Indian Institute of space Science and technology) - completed course work but discontinued after one year.
Immigration status : received CoPR and will be arriving in may.
International Journal - 2 journals on signal processing and satellite imaging with reasonable impact factor.

Following are my queries :
1) In which university she is likely to get an admission for PhD?
2) How hard it is to get a guide? how should we approach them?

Thanks and regards