+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Can i update my wife's ielts results? It was not included in our original package. And I also did not say that I am qualified for the 5 point adapbility of two year study. Shall I provide a new schedule 3 form to claim 2 year study points?

I am an applicant after may 4, 2013.
Thank you for any suggestion.

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
Hi all,

I am writing to ask about your suggestion and advice on my situation. I am now in my final PhD year and have already applied in PhD stream about 10 months ago which is still in progress. Now, there is a strong possibility that I can get a job offer from an employer here in Canada in spite of the fact that, The employer is highly preferring PR or citizen applicants. My question is, if I get a formal job offer from this employer, is that going to boost my PhD stream application for PR in Canada and what should I do in this case? The funny part is that my study permit will expire in August 2014 which just adds to complexity of my case. I want to convince my employer not to worry about my status but I first need to know if it is possible.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions or advice from those who might have been in the same situation.

Thanks

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hey Guys

Was off the grid due to thesis defence etc. etc. It is good to know that one person got selected from Quebec under this stream, though one got rejected too. As far as I go, I moved to Ontario 2 months back and have updated CPP-O with paystubs, thesis defence letter and joining letter in ontario. No news from them thereon. Contacted them and it was confirmed that they attached the documents to the file. "Flight of the Albatross" it is.

I personally believe this stream is a sham. They will forget the 2012 applicants or dump them with some stupid reasons to clear the backlog. The fancy 2013 rules is what they are looking for now. Anyways I don't have high hopes nonetheless, will post you guys if I hear about rejection/medical.

Best of luck.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
ahmadimo said:
Hi all,

I am writing to ask about your suggestion and advice on my situation. I am now in my final PhD year and have already applied in PhD stream about 10 months ago which is still in progress. Now, there is a strong possibility that I can get a job offer from an employer here in Canada in spite of the fact that, The employer is highly preferring PR or citizen applicants. My question is, if I get a formal job offer from this employer, is that going to boost my PhD stream application for PR in Canada and what should I do in this case? The funny part is that my study permit will expire in August 2014 which just adds to complexity of my case. I want to convince my employer not to worry about my status but I first need to know if it is possible.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions or advice from those who might have been in the same situation.

Thanks

Hi, I have a similar situation as you. I try to write my best solution that I am taking too.
I am applying for a off-campus work permit. Meanwhile I am ready to apply for post graduate work permit (PGWP) right after my graduation. It allows us to work here at least for 3 years extendable even after the 3 years. Meanwhile you should let them know that you have an app. in process and you'll be PR soon.

This is what I am doing too. The 3 year work permit is a good response for them. Explain for them and refer to the CIC page that talks about PGWP.

I know it is a pain while we found some jobs and are ready to work and that the employer is willing to hire us, but we are not yet PR. And this makes the manager upset. This is embarrassing!

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Hi, I have a similar situation as you. I try to write my best solution that I am taking too.
I am applying for a off-campus work permit. Meanwhile I am ready to apply for post graduate work permit (PGWP) right after my graduation. It allows us to work here at least for 3 years extendable even after the 3 years. Meanwhile you should let them know that you have an app. in process and you'll be PR soon.

This is what I am doing too. The 3 year work permit is a good response for them. Explain for them and refer to the CIC page that talks about PGWP.

I know it is a pain while we found some jobs and are ready to work and that the employer is willing to hire us, but we are not yet PR. And this makes the manager upset. This is embarrassing!
Hi Hamed,

Many thanks for your helpful input. I didn't know about this PGWP. So would you mind confirming that I am getting it correct? with my current off-campus work permit I can work 20 hours/week for my employer and then I can tell them that within 3 months prior to my graduation, I will apply for PGWP to work there full time after graduation. I should also mention that there is my PR application going at the same time.

Thanks again
Amir

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
ahmadimo said:
Hi Hamed,

Many thanks for your helpful input. I didn't know about this PGWP. So would you mind confirming that I am getting it correct? with my current off-campus work permit I can work 20 hours/week for my employer and then I can tell them that within 3 months prior to my graduation, I will apply for PGWP to work there full time after graduation. I should also mention that there is my PR application going at the same time.

Thanks again
Amir
You can apply for it once you defended your thesis. The it take a few weeks and you'll get a work permit to work full time.

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
Admins,
Please update my info:

Category..........: FSW-PhD
Visa Office........: Ottawa
NOC Code.........: 4012,4031,0121,0211
App. Filed.........: 2013 04 08
Check cashed....: 2013 04 15
AOR Received....: 2013 06 17 (PER)
Doc's Request....: none yet
Med. Request.....: waiting

Thanks! :)

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
sarsanballa, 5 months!

what did you do to get your package moved so quickly?

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
climate_modeller said:
sarsanballa, 5 months!

what did you do to get your package moved so quickly?
I don't know why either, and I didn't even expect this speed. :) Anyways, I think they are working faster on post May 4 applicants. Stay hopeful, you will get it soon too.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadimo said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Apply for off campus work permit now and after your graduation while you are waiting for your post graduate work permit you can use the off campus work permit to work full-time for 90 days.

Please note that while you wait for your application for a post-graduation work permit to be processed, you can work full-time with an off-campus work permit for up to 90 days. If you need an off-campus work permit, be sure to submit your online request for an Electronic Verification Number (EVN) before you completed your degree; afterwards, you will not be able to receive an EVN.

I have copied this from http://www.students.ubc.ca/international/international-students/working/post-graduation-work-permits/.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
beh467 said:
Apply for off campus work permit now and after your graduation while you are waiting for your post graduate work permit you can use the off campus work permit to work full-time for 90 days.

Please note that while you wait for your application for a post-graduation work permit to be processed, you can work full-time with an off-campus work permit for up to 90 days. If you need an off-campus work permit, be sure to submit your online request for an Electronic Verification Number (EVN) before you completed your degree; afterwards, you will not be able to receive an EVN.

I have copied this from http://www.students.ubc.ca/international/international-students/working/post-graduation-work-permits/.

Do you have any source for this from CIC?

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Do you have any source for this from CIC?

I found this information on CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/guide-dir.asp).

3. Conditions of the work permit

Both study permits and student work permits are usually issued for the length of the study program, plus 90 days.

Moving to post-graduation work: Students who have earned their degree, diploma or certificate, and who are within the 90-day period allowed for moving to post-graduation work, are still eligible to work off campus, as long as they have a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit.

Implied status: If students are finished studying and have applied for a post-graduation work permit, and have a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit, they may keep working off campus until CIC makes a decision on their application.

Short-term study or work permit: Some students have short-term study or work permits that they must renew each year. They are normally valid for a year or less. To take part in the program, students must renew their work permit each time.
3.1 Number of working hours

Students approved for a work permit and registered as full-time students can work up to 20 hours a week during the regular school year and full time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter or summer holidays, reading week).

Although there is no law or policy keeping students from working 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours a week off campus, DIRs should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week. DIRs should remind students that they must study full time and keep an acceptable academic standing to stay eligible for the program.

Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks or may have a break specific to that program. Students in these programs cannot work more than 20 hours a week at any time during the entire period.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
climate_modeller said:
Admins,
Please update my info:

Category..........: FSW-PhD
Visa Office........: Ottawa
NOC Code.........: 4012,4031,0121,0211
App. Filed.........: 2013 04 08
Check cashed....: 2013 04 15
AOR Received....: 2013 06 17 (PER)
Doc's Request....: none yet
Med. Request.....: waiting

Thanks! :)
Hello there,

I added your information to the spreadsheet, would you please post the rest of them?
Have you ordered any GCMS notes yet? If yes, did they give you any adaptability points for your spouse's education or you Canadian child? If you have any of course!

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
sarsanballa said:
Hi guys,
Just noticed that my ECas changed to "Decision Made". :)
All the best for everyone again.
Congrats!