+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone with multiple IELTS attempt ?

iy0425

Nov 6, 2018
i had the second attempt on July 8 and writing got me again
2nd attempt: L8.5, R7, W6.5, S7
1st attepmt: L8.5, R9, W6, S7

7 in Writing would have landed me around 430 crs which is now 382 just bec of 6.5 :(

i feel down too

Hi There,

Can you please share tips on how you prepared to get 9.0 in Reading and 8.5 in Listening?

Thanks!

Shaanoh

Nov 2, 2018
Hopefully my tips can help those who are stuck at lower scores (usually only 0.5 or 1 band) in one or the other section.

I took Ielts twice with a gap of 1 month.
First attempt, 30 June 2018
LRWS: 9,8,6.5,7

Second attempt: 2 August 2018
LRWS: 9,9,8,7.5

I was devastated even after first attempt because i scored CLB9 in three section and my CRS was doping about 45 point only because of a mere 0.5 lack in writing score. My brother who is my biggest motivator, convinced me to give it another try and so i booked for Ielts again. Following is my preparation plan and i really hope it can help you guys.

Listening and reading: I know many test takers prefer to prepare through YouTube videos but i would suggest to practice with Cambridge ielts book 1-13. Do as many practice tests as you can from these books because these are actual past papers and question types are exactly what appears in real exam. For listening, as many have already pointed out, DO NOT lose focus even for 1 second. Best way to do that is to get a good night sleep before going for exam so you can be as fresh and focused as possible. If you miss a question, don't stress it out because you need 35 right answers to score 8 and worrying about 1 answer and losing focus is not worth it. Try to guess missing answer at the end when you get 10 minutes to transfer the answers. For reading, what troubled me most was T,F,NG questions. What's not given straight away in the passage, the answer for that is NG. Don't overthink and try to comprehend what writers may have meant.

Writing: The part i was most afraid of losing is writing. I usually produce error free grammatical sentences and complex sentences were also not a problem but i always felt in practice that my essays were not coherent enough and i am not using complicated vocabulary. You need to write it the way that reader doesn't have to go back and recall different things at different points. Flow should be logical the way that it can be understood easily in first read. Make it easier for the examiner. Keep your vocabulary simple yet varied. Use synonyms but you don't need to use any words that are very complex and less common. Understand that some words cannot be paraphrased so use only synonyms that fit 100% perfectly in that sentence. Always plan at least 5 minutes and leave as much time for proofreading. Use a range of grammatical structures such as conditional, passive, past, present, future etc. Give examples in body paragraphs but they should not be your personal examples. Make examples from real life situations. Your thesis statement should always include your opinion (if asked) and outline of body paragraphs.

Speaking: The part I least prepared for and never actually practiced as my score clearly indicates. Be relaxed and confident. Feel that whatever you are saying is right and examiner is completely in agreement with you. I know its difficult but try to take it as a normal conversation, not an exam. Keep you language simple and precise. Accent doesn't matter as long as it can be easily understood. Try to use range of grammar and don't repeat same words a lot. In my first attempt, i spoke only for 1 minute 20 seconds in part 2 and examiner had to ask me if i wanna add something more. In my second attempt, i had to talk about a quiet place which i found and i used to visit. Instead of thinking about just one quiet place, i thought of 2. One that i used to go to when i was student (it gave me opportunity to use past tense) and one from my current routine (hence the present tense). This way i showed my grammatical range and filled that 2 minute duration easily that examiner had to eventually stop me.

Best of luck to everyone out there who is working hard and spending hard labored money to realize their dreams. Please don't lose hope and keep trying and last but not the least, have Faith in God and keep praying.

Would you please share the links for the download @shaanoh1@gmail.com.

Thanks in Advance,

Cheers
Shan

Reactions: zubonline

Nov 23, 2018
why would you need more than 6.5? Doesn't 6.5 qualify you for studying in a Canadian university?

segunpaul

Dec 28, 2018
My situation is not a far-cry from yours. Listening has been a serious bane for me. Unfortunately, in my own case, I have written 5 times and it's either been a 7 or 7.5. in listening. In the case of writing, it's never been below 7. My problem is nervousness within the examination setting, and where that has affected me most is on multiple choice questions. I am working assiduously to surmount it. I summoned courage for an EOR in the last attempt which I had a 7.5, the result turned in today, but unsurprisingly it came unchanged. It will be well by God's grace.

Wishing you the best in your next attempt