Jul 11, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi, UAE
IELTS Request
L 6.5, R 6.5, W 7.5, S 7.0
After reading experience of all you guys I decided to share my struggle with IELTS so far...
1st Attempt: (IDP) May 2015, LRWS: 6.5, 6.5, 7.5, 7
Test report got expired and CRS didn't drop to my scores so I have to sit in IELTS again...
2nd Attempt: (IDP) 25 May 2017, LRWS: 8,7,6,6.5
went for revaluation with IDP but recheck came out same
3rd Attempt: (BC) 24 June 2017, LRWS: 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 7
got frustrated again ...
4th Attempt: (BC) 29 July 2017, (Waiting for result now...)

Hope I could make it this time. I really hate sitting in exam again...

Reactions: shaheersinn

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After reading experience of all you guys I decided to share my struggle with IELTS so far...
Test report got expired and CRS didn't drop to my scores so I have to sit in IELTS again...
got frustrated again ...

mate you should really give yourself enough time between tests... its not easy writing 1 test a month - and it costs quite a bit also..

listening seems OK - but you need to concentrate on the other parts a little more... i would suggest take a 3 month break (CRS cut off is a little high these days anyway) work hard on the 3 x modules and then write the exam - hopefully you will do a lot better...
FYI - you just need to hit 8,7,7,7 in listening reading writing speaking. you are not that far off, but still a little work is required.

good luck

Reactions: Vicky stranger
Jul 11, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi, UAE
IELTS Request
L 6.5, R 6.5, W 7.5, S 7.0
mate you should really give yourself enough time between tests... its not easy writing 1 test a month - and it costs quite a bit also..

listening seems OK - but you need to concentrate on the other parts a little more... i would suggest take a 3 month break (CRS cut off is a little high these days anyway) work hard on the 3 x modules and then write the exam - hopefully you will do a lot better...
FYI - you just need to hit 8,7,7,7 in listening reading writing speaking. you are not that far off, but still a little work is required.

good luck
Thanks for your advice dear. I hope I will make it this time if not I will go for extensive preparation mode which I haven't done so far.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
for writing of course you need practice and familiar with the format for essays and letters.
Reading is not about understanding the whole paper, it is about how you locate answers. I got 6.5 in reading in my first attempt, in my second I got 9 for the same.
Listening and speaking is also easy.
for speaking you should have some prepared topic and words.

MForMehr

Aug 23, 2017
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03 August 2017
IELTS Request
L7-R8-S-7-W6.5
got frustrated again ...

Go for an extensive preparation and plan things right. There's no point of wasting money because this is how you will end up frustrated and annoyed. Here is the thread which could help you a lot. Just focus on practicing your weaker areas!

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/full-ielts-books-tests-download-links-included.501746/

Rise and shine

Apr 9, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-12-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
Med's Done....
09-01-2018
Passport Req..
05-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2018
Luckily, for me third attempt gave me what was required. Overall 8 and 8, 8,7.5,7.5 in LRWS.
Sometimes luck favors u only in the third attempt.

Aug 25, 2017
Guys - I took the General IELTS exam more than three times, however, I could not manage to score more than 6.5

My last score was L7.5, S7, W6 & R6

I am looking for Band 8

Any suggestion to improve my score?

I am planning to reappear for the exam in November, Thanks

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Guys - I took the General IELTS exam more than three times, however, I could not manage to score more than 6.5

My last score was L7.5, S7, W6 & R6

I am looking for Band 8

Any suggestion to improve my score?

I am planning to reappear for the exam in November, Thanks
Hi,

see above advices, you can definitely take more than that.
Even 9 for reading and listening.

Where do you stuck?

Aug 25, 2017
I think my concentration is poor. And sometimes I lost in the middle of test when there are multiple answers (A,B,C,D) in the listening. (Normally I lose track when there is conversation among more than two people).

Reading: I face problem with matching headings and True / False / Not Given.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Hi,

Yes, that is the most important thing, "concentration".
I realized that when I was practicing listening. In some sections I was totally out and lost marks. So I purposely concentrated on audio and made sure I miss nothing and it worked. You can't afford to lose concentration if you want to score. In case if you go blank, just write some assumed asnwer based on what you rememeber and questions.

I think my concentration is poor. And sometimes I lost in the middle of test when there are multiple answers (A,B,C,D) in the listening. (Normally I lose track when there is conversation among more than two people).

Reading: I face problem with matching headings and True / False / Not Given.

karanlokesh

Dec 4, 2014
listening is the toughest module in IELTS, and also the most rewarding - as there is usually only one correct answer...

Here are some tips which might be useful. I've written IELTS 4 times over the years, 3 times I got 8.5 so i kinda know what I'm talking about...

1 - First try and understand which section in listening you messed up, and why... there are 4 sections - usually section 1 is easiest, 2 is a little difficult, 3 and 4 require utmost concentration. You need to understand and analyse which section you messed up, and more importantly why... it could be as simple as loss in concentration, or trying to remember what the previous answer was while the audio is still going on, sometimes if there is a conversation between 2 people - you forget who is who...
2 - I strongly, strongly recommend that people write down what is being said on the tape in real time and not look for answers while reading the questions... thats a sure shot way to disaster. this trick is useful in 2 places
--> Multiple choice questions - Where each question has 2 answers
--> When conversattion between 2 people is going on
You dont have to write each and every word... just transcripts... like for example if the entire statement is
"I wore a blue tshirt today to work and on the way i ordered a cafe latte and blueberry muffin and filled gas"
I would transcribe - "blue shirt, work, cafe latte, bb muffin, gas on way"
3 - Do not keep replaying the conversation in your head if you missed a question trying to think of an answer while the tape is still running. If you missed 1 question, its OK ... dont try thinking about one question when you can miss the next 5... 1 question vs 5 question : Do the math and see what is more important.
4 - Try and be as calm as you can before the test... sing a song in your head, keep your head down... its extremely easy to become nervous looking at other candidates praying like crazy before the exam lol... just close your eyes, goto your happy place... try and stay as relaxed as possible...
5 - in my case, i observed that first 2-3 sections went well (during practise) and i was relaxing in section 4 - just standard loss of concentration. so during the test i was screaming at myself (not outloud of course lol) after section 3 just to make sure and remind myself not to lose concentration... job is only 3/4th done...
6 - finally - practise as much as you can... and practise tests like an actual test - no pausing, no coffee breaks, no phone messages... do actual mock tests... buy a headset if you want - just replicate proper test conditions.

hope this would be useful ha ha :) good luck

Listening is the easiest of whole IELTS, don't mess it up. I gave IELTS twice w/o any kind of intense preparation, but able to achieve 8 both times.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
You need to improve on reading from which you can score 9

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Yes, it is not about intense preparation or being fluent in English.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
I was also stuck in True False.
when you see a statement, see what information I have in the passage to say it is true or do I have information to say it is fault. If it is, then you can write T/F according to the info.
If no information on that, you have to write NG.
You need to think in that way, then it is easy. I applied that and scored 9

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Do some past papers, then u will get used.
See why your answer were wrong. then u will realise the issue in the way you derived the answer.
In reading you need to read more than once, just don't jump and write answer by reading once.