Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
25th July 2016
LANDED..........
Scheduled on 12th Aug
I had second attempt of IELTS today. Listening part devastated me. I'm really frustrated. Last time I had L7.5,S7.5, W7, R7. And this time my listening part was so bad that I can only expect 6 or 7. All I want is an 8.0 band in listening. I had prepared for one whole month doing more than 40+ practice tests. But it appears it was all in vain.

I know I will have to go for third attempt (waste of money). CRS score is not coming down anytime either (so it appears). But I wanna hear experiences of people who were in situation same like me. Its so depressing.

mcassim87

Jul 1, 2017
I had second attempt of IELTS today. Listening part devastated me. I'm really frustrated. Last time I had L7.5,S7.5, W7, R7. And this time my listening part was so bad that I can only expect 6 or 7. All I want is an 8.0 band in listening. I had prepared for one whole month doing more than 40+ practice tests. But it appears it was all in vain.

I know I will have to go for third attempt (waste of money). CRS score is not coming down anytime either (so it appears). But I wanna hear experiences of people who were in situation same like me. Its so depressing.
i had the second attempt on July 8 and writing got me again
2nd attempt: L8.5, R7, W6.5, S7
1st attepmt: L8.5, R9, W6, S7

7 in Writing would have landed me around 430 crs which is now 382 just bec of 6.5 :(

i feel down too

Reactions: iy0425

shaheersinn

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
App. Filed.......
16th Feb 2016
Doc's Request.
No request
Med's Request
29th May 2016
Med's Done....
6th May 2016
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
25th July 2016
LANDED..........
Scheduled on 12th Aug

7 in Writing would have landed me around 430 crs which is now 382 just bec of 6.5 :(

i feel down too
That's my point. It is so depressing when you wait one whole month to give IELTS with huge expectations and in the end you slip by a slight margin. I firmly believe IELTS is all a matter of luck.
Will you give third attempt ?

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's my point. It is so depressing when you wait one whole month to give IELTS with huge expectations and in the end you slip by a slight margin. I firmly believe IELTS is all a matter of luck.
Will you give third attempt ?
listening is the toughest module in IELTS, and also the most rewarding - as there is usually only one correct answer...

Here are some tips which might be useful. I've written IELTS 4 times over the years, 3 times I got 8.5 so i kinda know what I'm talking about...

1 - First try and understand which section in listening you messed up, and why... there are 4 sections - usually section 1 is easiest, 2 is a little difficult, 3 and 4 require utmost concentration. You need to understand and analyse which section you messed up, and more importantly why... it could be as simple as loss in concentration, or trying to remember what the previous answer was while the audio is still going on, sometimes if there is a conversation between 2 people - you forget who is who...
2 - I strongly, strongly recommend that people write down what is being said on the tape in real time and not look for answers while reading the questions... thats a sure shot way to disaster. this trick is useful in 2 places
--> Multiple choice questions - Where each question has 2 answers
--> When conversattion between 2 people is going on
You dont have to write each and every word... just transcripts... like for example if the entire statement is
"I wore a blue tshirt today to work and on the way i ordered a cafe latte and blueberry muffin and filled gas"
I would transcribe - "blue shirt, work, cafe latte, bb muffin, gas on way"
3 - Do not keep replaying the conversation in your head if you missed a question trying to think of an answer while the tape is still running. If you missed 1 question, its OK ... dont try thinking about one question when you can miss the next 5... 1 question vs 5 question : Do the math and see what is more important.
4 - Try and be as calm as you can before the test... sing a song in your head, keep your head down... its extremely easy to become nervous looking at other candidates praying like crazy before the exam lol... just close your eyes, goto your happy place... try and stay as relaxed as possible...
5 - in my case, i observed that first 2-3 sections went well (during practise) and i was relaxing in section 4 - just standard loss of concentration. so during the test i was screaming at myself (not outloud of course lol) after section 3 just to make sure and remind myself not to lose concentration... job is only 3/4th done...
6 - finally - practise as much as you can... and practise tests like an actual test - no pausing, no coffee breaks, no phone messages... do actual mock tests... buy a headset if you want - just replicate proper test conditions.

hope this would be useful ha ha :) good luck

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
d

i feel down too
did you try appealing the decision ? usually for writing i have seen them in revaluation giving extra marks if they feel you deserve it.. my brother had appealed his test result and got a 0.5 bump in score.

mcassim87

Jul 1, 2017
d

did you try appealing the decision ? usually for writing i have seen them in revaluation giving extra marks if they feel you deserve it.. my brother had appealed his test result and got a 0.5 bump in score.
i am going to file an application with IDP for re marking my writing module, most probably next Saturday

cnrp

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2017
AOR Received.
13-12-2017
Guys yesterday and today was my 3rd attempt. I got 7.5 on list in the previous one. Others are 8s. I'm sure I got 34 correct answers 3 wrong answers and 3 50/50 chance.

2 years ago I'd give it a try and got lrws 8 8,5 7 7,5. The CRS was to high anyway. On 8th July I got the second one. During the section 4 of the listening the sound went really deep and missed 4 questions. Wrote a complaint before existing the exam room. 5 days later they offered me a retake for free. I accept it and took the July 29 exam.

Reading and Writing was pretty smooth. For listening I did numerous exercises on youtube. I guess it worked. And the most unbelievable thing was I got exactly same questions on speaking all of them. My exam venue was different but what a chance. I gave same answers except the 2 minute talk. I enhanced that one.

Reactions: scorpionrishu

scorpionrishu

Star Member
Apr 1, 2017
listening is the toughest module in IELTS, and also the most rewarding - as there is usually only one correct answer...

Here are some tips which might be useful. I've written IELTS 4 times over the years, 3 times I got 8.5 so i kinda know what I'm talking about...

1 - First try and understand which section in listening you messed up, and why... there are 4 sections - usually section 1 is easiest, 2 is a little difficult, 3 and 4 require utmost concentration. You need to understand and analyse which section you messed up, and more importantly why... it could be as simple as loss in concentration, or trying to remember what the previous answer was while the audio is still going on, sometimes if there is a conversation between 2 people - you forget who is who...
2 - I strongly, strongly recommend that people write down what is being said on the tape in real time and not look for answers while reading the questions... thats a sure shot way to disaster. this trick is useful in 2 places
--> Multiple choice questions - Where each question has 2 answers
--> When conversattion between 2 people is going on
You dont have to write each and every word... just transcripts... like for example if the entire statement is
"I wore a blue tshirt today to work and on the way i ordered a cafe latte and blueberry muffin and filled gas"
I would transcribe - "blue shirt, work, cafe latte, bb muffin, gas on way"
3 - Do not keep replaying the conversation in your head if you missed a question trying to think of an answer while the tape is still running. If you missed 1 question, its OK ... dont try thinking about one question when you can miss the next 5... 1 question vs 5 question : Do the math and see what is more important.
4 - Try and be as calm as you can before the test... sing a song in your head, keep your head down... its extremely easy to become nervous looking at other candidates praying like crazy before the exam lol... just close your eyes, goto your happy place... try and stay as relaxed as possible...
5 - in my case, i observed that first 2-3 sections went well (during practise) and i was relaxing in section 4 - just standard loss of concentration. so during the test i was screaming at myself (not outloud of course lol) after section 3 just to make sure and remind myself not to lose concentration... job is only 3/4th done...
6 - finally - practise as much as you can... and practise tests like an actual test - no pausing, no coffee breaks, no phone messages... do actual mock tests... buy a headset if you want - just replicate proper test conditions.

hope this would be useful ha ha :) good luck
Hi There,
Thanks for the insight and tips. I really feel writing keywords along side reading should work surley. I'm definitely gonna try it for my practice test today. Overall what i belive, more you do practice tests will eventually train your brain to be focused! So, try to do as much as possible practice test and create real test environment like no disturbance, phone calls, breaks etc while taking test.
I'm going to appear third time in last 1 year for GT on 19/08, aiming LSWR, 8,7,7,7
Good Luck everyone!

srijan

Apr 10, 2017
OK I have written 10 times so far from Feb 2017 - what a shame....

I got required band most of the time in all 3 except writing. Had various instructors correct my essay confirming i should get atleast 7 still stand in 6.5 have applied twice for remark and 1 turned up no change and waiting for another...

Now I am trying to target 7.5 or 8 to make sure I get atleast 7. I still learn lot of tips everytime so that keeps me going so far...

Money wasted still towards a dream...and to achieve it we should do everything we can, can't we?

Let's be positive and hope no one is playing on our dreams....

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I got required band most of the time in all 3 except writing. Had various instructors correct my essay confirming i should get atleast 7 still stand in 6.5 have applied twice for remark and 1 turned up no change and waiting for another...

Now I am trying to target 7.5 or 8 to make sure I get atleast 7. I still learn lot of tips everytime so that keeps me going so far...

Money wasted still towards a dream...and to achieve it we should do everything we can, can't we?

damn, 10 times - how did you manage to get so many slots in 6 months ?
personally you should take a bit of a break for 2-3 months, concentrate on improving a little bit more on the writing part before you write another exam.. its not helpful to keep writing twice a month

good luck

Reactions: srijan

srijan

Apr 10, 2017
damn, 10 times - how did you manage to get so many slots in 6 months ?
personally you should take a bit of a break for 2-3 months, concentrate on improving a little bit more on the writing part before you write another exam.. its not helpful to keep writing twice a month

good luck
No I was always a band 7 guy so I was hoping to close on every test....also the instructors told me the same so I wasn't ready to loose time... Anyway I decided to take break if the last one didn't work out...

shaheersinn

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
App. Filed.......
16th Feb 2016
Doc's Request.
No request
Med's Request
29th May 2016
Med's Done....
6th May 2016
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
25th July 2016
LANDED..........
Scheduled on 12th Aug

Thats interesting. How did you manage to sit for 10 times even though you werent getting the required results ? Quite persistent you are !!

Aug 3, 2017
d

Is there any fee for appealing? How you do it? Please provide link. Thanks.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any fee for appealing? How you do it? Please provide link. Thanks.
yes. in india it costs rs 6500 to appeal a decision... but if your score changes, they will refund the full amount.

just google IELTS score remark - it will take you to the link.

but i would not recommend if you are trying to get higher marks for listening or reading - for these 2 modules there is really only 1 correct answer (like maths) , but speaking and writing i think definitely its worth a shot particularly if 0.5 extra will get you extra 30-40 points on CRS table

good luck