+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Hopefulgir08 said:
Hello everyone! :) meron ba dito who applied for a US tourist visa? Mahirap ba? Just thinking bout visiting some friends, since malapit lang naisip ko na mag-apply. :) ty
Thanks aly91! :)

Hello Hopefulgirl!

Easy lang siya :) Just follow the online application procedures and you're all set. You'll be filling up questions like your job, travel history for the past 10 years, ad syempre proof of funds for your intended visit. Sa interview naman, they'll just ask you what will you do when you go to the US and just honestly say na visit family and friends ka lang since student ka sa Canada. In our case, it was the other way around, we were in the US and decided to go visit relatives in Canada :D

Hopefulgir08

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2014 (July 1, 2014 refused due to foreign police clearance) October 29, 2014 (reapplied)
Med's Request
June 17, 2014
Med's Done....
June 19,2014
Passport Req..
Paper Application. November 4, 2014(approval email rceived)
VISA ISSUED...
November 6, 2014 Passport received
LANDED..........
November 2014
micmic said:
Thanks aly91! :)

Hello Hopefulgirl!

Easy lang siya :) Just follow the online application procedures and you're all set. You'll be filling up questions like your job, travel history for the past 10 years, ad syempre proof of funds for your intended visit. Sa interview naman, they'll just ask you what will you do when you go to the US and just honestly say na visit family and friends ka lang since student ka sa Canada. In our case, it was the other way around, we were in the US and decided to go visit relatives in Canada :D

Thanks micmic. Sounds wonderful! :) As soon as I land, let say few weeks after, I can apply na right? :) I had previous visa na din from the US and I didnt overstay or what, clear din ako sa FBI so I'm sure I'll be fine. :) ty again

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
In that case, you can even apply from here :)

While we were in the US, my relatives from Canada called me and said why not visit them since it's just a bus ride away anyway. Usually, from what I've heard, Canada visas are issues only from your country of origin. But since makulit kami, we emailed the embassy of Canada in New York (even dropped by only to find out that they were closed that day. What a waste of $25 for parking!) and they replied that in our case, we can apply for a tourist visa and gave us a link and we took off from there. It took us five weeks before passport request. Having a US visa really helps in certain visa applications to other countries although it might be a different case if you're applying for a study permit.

In your case, it's the other way around - having a student visa from Canada and crossing to the US. Given that you are actually just renewing your US tourist visa, I think everything will be ok. You Canadian Student visa will just reinforce your intention to return to your schooling after vacation. By the way, the US immigration is already within the Canadian airport (from our experience in Toronto) so even before boarding your plane, may tatak na passport mo before landing in the US. There's also this addition fee for luggages if you're traveling to the US from Canada :D

I just submitted my application to Ryerson University for a masters program. Wish me luck guys!

KiMango

Aug 22, 2014
Hello, tanong ko lang po saan niyo po sinend ang passport niyo? sa VAC po ba sa may Chino Rocess or sa Embassy mismo sa RCBC Plaza. Kasi po yung agent ko ang address na binigay niya sa akin eh sa RCBC Plaza. Late ko na po narealize na dapat pala sa Chino Rocess.

Nag-email na rin po ako sa VFS at ang sabi sa embassy daw po ako mag-inquire. Inaantay ko pa po yung email ng agent ko kung anong dapat gawin. Thank you.

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
Torque78 said:
I applied online. Looks like there would be fewer requirements online, but it would still be up to you how you want to make your application strong. For me & with my understanding based on back-reading on this forum, I submitted important & relevant documents, even those not on the requirement list, plus with my best SoP, of course. Just remember, it's mostly 0% chances of getting interviewed by the VO(s), so might as well provide them just enough (but not scarce) information to give them enough proof to approve your Study Permit. May data limit naman for upload, di ba?
It's a hard & scary experience..but with PRAYERS, HOPE & FAITH, we all get through!
Are you planning to do the paper-based or online?
I also applied online
I had my medicals done on Nov 11 but MyCIC has not yet recieved them

aly911

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 30, 2014/August 1, 2014
Med's Request
July 2, 2014
Med's Done....
July 14, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 14, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
vash021 said:
I also applied online
I had my medicals done on Nov 11 but MyCIC has not yet recieved them
Chill lng dude :D it will take a week or 2 For them to receive your MR depending on how fast your clinic sends it. :D

Hopefulgir08

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2014 (July 1, 2014 refused due to foreign police clearance) October 29, 2014 (reapplied)
Med's Request
June 17, 2014
Med's Done....
June 19,2014
Passport Req..
Paper Application. November 4, 2014(approval email rceived)
VISA ISSUED...
November 6, 2014 Passport received
LANDED..........
November 2014
micmic said:
In that case, you can even apply from here :)

While we were in the US, my relatives from Canada called me and said why not visit them since it's just a bus ride away anyway. Usually, from what I've heard, Canada visas are issues only from your country of origin. But since makulit kami, we emailed the embassy of Canada in New York (even dropped by only to find out that they were closed that day. What a waste of $25 for parking!) and they replied that in our case, we can apply for a tourist visa and gave us a link and we took off from there. It took us five weeks before passport request. Having a US visa really helps in certain visa applications to other countries although it might be a different case if you're applying for a study permit.

In your case, it's the other way around - having a student visa from Canada and crossing to the US. Given that you are actually just renewing your US tourist visa, I think everything will be ok. You Canadian Student visa will just reinforce your intention to return to your schooling after vacation. By the way, the US immigration is already within the Canadian airport (from our experience in Toronto) so even before boarding your plane, may tatak na passport mo before landing in the US. There's also this addition fee for luggages if you're traveling to the US from Canada :D

I just submitted my application to Ryerson University for a masters program. Wish me luck guys!

Thank you so much!

softmallowgum

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I've been back reading some posts. I wish I knew about this thread before, it could have saved me A LOT of time and money since I used an agency to apply :-/ Oh well, what's done is done.

For those who applied thru VFS (paper application), can I ask your timeline? Here is what I have so far:

Oct. 30, 2014 - Paper application lodged at VFS

Nov. 3, 2014 - Medical Exam request received

Nov. 4, 2014 - Initial Medical Exam at St. Luke's Global done. Here's where it got a bit complicated:

I had some blood in my urine (even after 2 urinalysis tests). I've had this in the past already and my kidney ultrasound has always been normal. I was concerned but the doctor said it was not significant. Can this be grounds for refusal or more tests by the Embassy?

Then, I thought I was good but because of my history with Pott's Disease of the spine (extra-pulmonary TB), the nurses told me to get a medical certificate and then they referred me to the St. Luke's Extension Clinic to get a pulmo clearance. I had this last 2008 and I was fully treated 2009. I didn't think it was going to be an issue because in the application forms I submitted in Canada, they only asked if I had TB of the lungs in the past 2 years. This is extra-pulmonary and this was 6 years ago, so I said no. Anyway, I secured the medical certificate they asked for and I was booked for the referral the following week.

Nov. 10, 2014 - Follow-up at St. Luke's Extension Clinic Ermita

I went there around 9am for the Pulmo followup. The doctor just asked some questions and checked / listened to my breathing. He didn't tell me anything about my results and he just said to wait for the nurse to call me. The nurse called me and asked me to photocopy the medical certificate. I gave them the original and then after that, they made me line up for the immunization interview. I had to get the MMR vaccine and then after that, I was given my receipt and the nurse said I can go home.

Now the thing is, I have no idea now if I got cleared or anything. When I was allowed to do the immunization, does it mean the Pulmonologist cleared me? I have no signs of TB and all. I also want to know how long they usually send the report to the embassy? Should I call St. Luke's Global or St. Luke's Extension Clinic for the follow up? I'm a bit confused 'cause there was a lack of communication on the part of the SLEC staff to me and they weren't really clear on what's happening.

I checked the VFS tracking site and it's not very specific (not like the online application). The site just says my papers are in the Embassy (it has been like that since I can remember).

I'm worried now because my classes will begin on January 5-6, 2015. For those who have applied close to their start dates, how long was it for you to get word if you got accepted or not?

And if I get rejected, can I still re-apply?

Thanks everyone! Any input on it is appreciated. Medyo nakakaloka kasi yung waiting period, to know if you got refused or not :-/ Salamat!

Torque78

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
27-06-2014
Passport Req..
05-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014
LANDED..........
08-09-2014 In God's graces!
softmallowgum said:
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I've been back reading some posts. I wish I knew about this thread before, it could have saved me A LOT of time and money since I used an agency to apply :-/ Oh well, what's done is done.

For those who applied thru VFS (paper application), can I ask your timeline? Here is what I have so far:

Oct. 30, 2014 - Paper application lodged at VFS

Nov. 3, 2014 - Medical Exam request received

Nov. 4, 2014 - Initial Medical Exam at St. Luke's Global done. Here's where it got a bit complicated:

I had some blood in my urine (even after 2 urinalysis tests). I've had this in the past already and my kidney ultrasound has always been normal. I was concerned but the doctor said it was not significant. Can this be grounds for refusal or more tests by the Embassy?

Then, I thought I was good but because of my history with Pott's Disease of the spine (extra-pulmonary TB), the nurses told me to get a medical certificate and then they referred me to the St. Luke's Extension Clinic to get a pulmo clearance. I had this last 2008 and I was fully treated 2009. I didn't think it was going to be an issue because in the application forms I submitted in Canada, they only asked if I had TB of the lungs in the past 2 years. This is extra-pulmonary and this was 6 years ago, so I said no. Anyway, I secured the medical certificate they asked for and I was booked for the referral the following week.

Nov. 10, 2014 - Follow-up at St. Luke's Extension Clinic Ermita

I went there around 9am for the Pulmo followup. The doctor just asked some questions and checked / listened to my breathing. He didn't tell me anything about my results and he just said to wait for the nurse to call me. The nurse called me and asked me to photocopy the medical certificate. I gave them the original and then after that, they made me line up for the immunization interview. I had to get the MMR vaccine and then after that, I was given my receipt and the nurse said I can go home.

Now the thing is, I have no idea now if I got cleared or anything. When I was allowed to do the immunization, does it mean the Pulmonologist cleared me? I have no signs of TB and all. I also want to know how long they usually send the report to the embassy? Should I call St. Luke's Global or St. Luke's Extension Clinic for the follow up? I'm a bit confused 'cause there was a lack of communication on the part of the SLEC staff to me and they weren't really clear on what's happening.

I checked the VFS tracking site and it's not very specific (not like the online application). The site just says my papers are in the Embassy (it has been like that since I can remember).

I'm worried now because my classes will begin on January 5-6, 2015. For those who have applied close to their start dates, how long was it for you to get word if you got accepted or not?

And if I get rejected, can I still re-apply?

Thanks everyone! Any input on it is appreciated. Medyo nakakaloka kasi yung waiting period, to know if you got refused or not :-/ Salamat!

[\quote]

I more than agree na nakakaloka ang waiting for the result, been there! Just hang in there, keep on praying for a positive outcome.
Medical results vary in order of release. Ung iba dito sa forum, as early as 1week after the medical exam, while others took longer. My husband and I took a month waiting, I think. So, I was advised by our mga ka-forum to follow-up by email(which I saw @ St. Luke's website), where they promptly responded naman. After a week that St. Luke's forwarded results to CEM, they(Embassy) sent the passport request na.
You can see in my timeline, we applied around 2months before Fall Term start. I think, CEM looks at applications needed to make it to the start of classes.
If ever u want to re-apply, you might need to inform your school to move your program start since time won't be enough for your study permit re-application. I have read cases like this here. Pati nga tuition, naka-hold lang.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
hello
guys okay lang ba isubmit din online yung letter na ginawa ng boss ko kasi gumawa siya ng letter na uuwi pa ako ng pinas after ko mag study in canada and gumawa din siya ng COE ko. okay lang po ba isend ko yung dalawa o ung COE lang?

thank you in advance. ;D

aly911

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 30, 2014/August 1, 2014
Med's Request
July 2, 2014
Med's Done....
July 14, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 14, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
erwinjohn997 said:
hello
guys okay lang ba isubmit din online yung letter na ginawa ng boss ko kasi gumawa siya ng letter na uuwi pa ako ng pinas after ko mag study in canada and gumawa din siya ng COE ko. okay lang po ba isend ko yung dalawa o ung COE lang?

thank you in advance. ;D
Better include those para maprove mo talaga sa vo na uuwi ka

softmallowgum

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Torque78 said:
I more than agree na nakakaloka ang waiting for the result, been there! Just hang in there, keep on praying for a positive outcome.
Medical results vary in order of release. Ung iba dito sa forum, as early as 1week after the medical exam, while others took longer. My husband and I took a month waiting, I think. So, I was advised by our mga ka-forum to follow-up by email(which I saw @ St. Luke's website), where they promptly responded naman. After a week that St. Luke's forwarded results to CEM, they(Embassy) sent the passport request na.
You can see in my timeline, we applied around 2months before Fall Term start. I think, CEM looks at applications needed to make it to the start of classes.
If ever u want to re-apply, you might need to inform your school to move your program start since time won't be enough for your study permit re-application. I have read cases like this here. Pati nga tuition, naka-hold lang.
Thanks for this :) Oo super nakakaloka, I'm trying to distract myself from thinking about it pero it's like, you don't know what to do kasi going there is a life changing event hehe. I don't have relatives there and I haven't been to Canada, but I really want to study there :) Whatever happens though, I believe it's God's will and it's in His hands now :)

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
10-1-14 transmitted 10-9-14
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
humdrumdum said:
@ wondergirl1992: Hi, congrats on your visa! I do have to agree that it'd be better to buy warm clothing here since mas malaki patong ng winter jackets in the Philippines because they know the only market for those clothes are people who travel a lot (a.k.a. may pera hahaha) Trust me, there are a lot of good deals here, especially since Black Friday is coming up. Also, it'd take up more luggage space, and you might want to use every kg you have. Vancouver is getting a little chilly these days though! I would suggest to bring rain boots instead, Raincouver is coming soon hahaha People here have no shame over wearing rain boots, and quite frankly, I find it really comfy hahaha

Re: Application Process
  • I really think having a good travel history will help a lot. In my case, I was a fresh grad and although I gave a Certificate of Employment saying I worked for our family business (not a lot of job experience nor money!), I think it really helped my application showing that I've been to several countries in North America and Europe. It's like showing that you've been through rigid visa application processes before and got your visa.
  • I took the TOEFL because I knew it would test me on American English and it's also a computer-based exam (TOEFL iBT). Most schools in Canada accept both IELTS and TOEFL so it's really up to you to decide where you think you'd do better in and use that your advantage.
  • From what I've gathered here, applying in person allows you to submit more documents that you think will help your application and not be limited with what the online system requires. So if you really feel the need to build a strong case by submitting other documents not on the check-list, then I'd advise to go with the paper-based application.
  • For those who will be financially supported by their parents, I didn't even submit an affidavit, I just gave a signed letter of financial of support and it wasn't even notarized or anything haha but the bank statements and bank cert that I did give was from my parents account, and I included their personal records in my application as well (passport, birth cert, marriage cert, etc.)

Re: Post-graduate permits
Sobrang totoo ang sinasabi ni DocRZ and mumay14. Ang daming changes na ginagawa sa immigration this year, and I think it is about time they notice the impact international students are making on the economy.* However, we as students should also be prepared for every outcome possible. The mere fact that we were able to get Canadian credentials is a big advantage already wherever we decide to go next, but like with any diploma from any institution in the world, WE ARE NEVER GUARANTEED ANYTHING!

*Fun fact:
In BC, the total spending of international students contributed $2.3B to the province's economy, $80M to the government's revenue and created 25,490 jobs (2012-2013).

Source: BC Council for International Education, "3-YEAR UPDATE ON THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION IN BRITISH COLUMBIA". (2013)

@humdrumdrum- THANK YOU!!! yep. I was totally freaked out when I was about to pay the trench coat. I was like "HOLY SHIT. SERIOUSLY?" hahaha lesson learned. I will just buy in Canada once I get there. Are you in vancouver??? Where in van can i buy cheap winter clothes?? I seriously need a tour, because I have this strange feeling that I'll be hella lost. ONE MORE THING. How many KILOS am I allowed to bring anyway? and how many carry on bags?? I am already packing my stuff (excited much) and I feel like I bought my whole room with me >.>

THANKS AGAIN!!! :)

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
10-1-14 transmitted 10-9-14
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
dreamingkag said:
Hi po! Approved student Visa Online application.

Ask ko Lang po if okay naman homestay (for two months) while looking for an apartment. Or apartment na po agad? Thank you!
it's totally okay to do home stay or apartment, since they won't ask for it YET during your online application,
they will only question your place of stay once your VISA has been approved, on your POINT OF ENTRY to Canada :)

So, If "home stay" will save you a heck lot of money, instead of renting an apartment (which is expensive coz you have to pay for everything) then just ask the person you are staying with to prepare a LOI for you, indicating the address, telephone number and citizenship of the Person you will be staying at :)

hope that helps :3