+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,

I am asking this for my friend. She's currently holding a Work Permit here in Canada. She has her son in the Philippines, if she wants to bring her son here, how's the process?

Thanks in advance!
Depending on your friend’s son’s level, she can apply for a dependent to accompany her in Canada. If the son is in primary or secondary, the son can be applied as a dependent. But if the son is going for post secondary education, the son will have to process his SP separately from the mother. A bit tricky because the son may not have enough home ties to prove he’s going back to the Philippines after his college or uni...

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Hello ulit kabayan,

1. Before I applied for my wife’s SOWP and my son’s permit, I went to the local district school board to enroll my son to grade 12 in advance. The school board said that my son needs a SP before they accept him. So I attached this to my family’s application particularly my son’s SP.

2. Yes po, once on implied status pwede po mag work pareho. Pero last year po kasi was the height of the pandemic and lockdowns. So wala po kami work pareho nung time na yun. I got a job at a factory one week before my PGWP approval. One month later nakapasok na po ako sa work na related sa program ko.

3. Yes po, my son will need his own SP. Dito na po inside Canada ang application. When you apply for your PGWP, you can apply for a change of status for your child (unless ready na rin po sya for SP application). This is to ensure that your son will not be out of status. Kelangan mag overlap yung SP nya at yung application for change of status.

4. Kapag po hindi kasabay ang SOWP application sa PGWP application, you need to change spouse status to visitor. Then after approval of PGWP you need to provide 3months worth of paystub in order to apply for SOWP. Kaya po advisable na kasabay na ang SOWP sa PGWP application. Kasi kung hindi po kasabay, matagal po hindi pwede mag work ang spouse. Not practical na isa lang may work if you are renting because of the monthly expenses. Even if you are earning a lot, a single paycheck may not always be enough. Because the higher your income bracket, the higher the income tax deduction.

HTH!
Thank you sir! This helps a lot. Will wait for your son's study permit application and how that will work. Yan ang isang pinagaaralan ko po kasi now. How he will get an SP when I transition to a PGWP.

Yung sa item 1, iba po advise sakin ng friend ko. Then when we landed in Canada, I also asked the immigration officer. Sila nagsabi din na Visitor Record lang, pwede na. But in any case, as long as pwede mag aral yung kids, we should be good :)

Thank you again sir!

Reactions: rogelcorral

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Depending on your friend’s son’s level, she can apply for a dependent to accompany her in Canada. If the son is in primary or secondary, the son can be applied as a dependent. But if the son is going for post secondary education, the son will have to process his SP separately from the mother. A bit tricky because the son may not have enough home ties to prove he’s going back to the Philippines after his college or uni...
Sir, yung sa inyo, how will your son prove home ties when he/she applies for SP? Since nandito na din kayong magasawa sa Canada, I'm also wondering how that will work.

JVF

Star Member
May 14, 2020
Hello,

This is my personal case now. I applied for PGWP yesterday and today I got a letter from IRCC that:

I need to attach this letter as proof that you are authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.

Is this normal?

JVF

Star Member
May 14, 2020
@rogelcorral Thank you, but how do we apply that on IRCC website?

Last edited:

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Sir, yung sa inyo, how will your son prove home ties when he/she applies for SP? Since nandito na din kayong magasawa sa Canada, I'm also wondering how that will work.
Yung application po kasi ng SP is just a continuation of the previous temporary residence permit, so applying inland is not as complicated as applying from overseas for first time SP (college or uni) applicants. Considering that the applicant already have a history of previous study or temporary stay of more than six months, and both parents on WP, it makes sense na magpatuloy na rin ng pag aaral dito ang anak. If the applicant is applying for the first time outside of Canada, just like our cases before, we have to prove na may babalikan pa tayo sa bansa natin.

Reactions: noelvictoria

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
@noelvictoria eto po yung sa case natin:

Where are you applying from? (required)
Outside Canada
Inside Canada
At a port of entry
Only some people can apply for a study permit from inside Canada. Do any of the situations below describe you or the person you’re applying for? (required)
You’re currently in Canada and one of these applies:

• you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

Reactions: noelvictoria

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Yung application po kasi ng SP is just a continuation of the previous temporary residence permit, so applying inland is not as complicated as applying from overseas for first time SP (college or uni) applicants. Considering that the applicant already have a history of previous study or temporary stay of more than six months, and both parents on WP, it makes sense na magpatuloy na rin ng pag aaral dito ang anak. If the applicant is applying for the first time outside of Canada, just like our cases before, we have to prove na may babalikan pa tayo sa bansa natin.
Got it sir. So it's different pala for our kids who are here already. thank you again.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
@noelvictoria eto po yung sa case natin:

Where are you applying from? (required)
Outside Canada
Inside Canada
At a port of entry
Only some people can apply for a study permit from inside Canada. Do any of the situations below describe you or the person you’re applying for? (required)
You’re currently in Canada and one of these applies:

• you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html
Thank you sir!

myze

Apr 8, 2021
Hello po ulit, for the student permit application under the cost of studies, do I put the full cost of tuition or the cost for one year?

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Sir @rogelcorral, when you applied for PGWP, do you still have a valid visa? Or just a valid study permit? I extended po kasi my permit already and it will cover the duration of the rest of my studies. But I was told that I didn't need to renew my visa, unless I plan on leaving Canada and returning, since it's only used for re-entry.

Napaisip lang ako, if needed yung valid visa while applying for PGWP. Para ma renew din namin before applying for PGWP.