+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any updates or movement from the Halifax Office?

zeyzey6

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Here is my little update. The ceremony lasted about an hour and a half. It's all on Zoom. I believe there were 27 individuals/or families in total. They first take you into a common room, ask you to change your name to your seat number (which they send in the email with the Oath invitation). Everyone is asked to be on mute but there were a lot of funny conversations as we were waiting to be registered today :D Then they each take you to another room (all done automatically on their end) where the ceremony officer greets you and verifies (privately) all your documents (IDs, seat number, PR card). Then you get redirected to the common room. Afterwards we met the citizenship judge who gave her remarks and welcomed us all. Then we did the oath in English and then in French all together, sang the national anthem and we were done. I waited to have my photo taken at the end with the citizenship judge. I really hope that you'll all hear soon. Now I'm in another line waiting for them to send me my citizenship certificate and possibly add me to the system so that I could register to vote.

Aug 20, 2021
Here is my little update. The ceremony lasted about an hour and a half. It's all on Zoom. I believe there were 27 individuals/or families in total. They first take you into a common room, ask you to change your name to your seat number (which they send in the email with the Oath invitation). Everyone is asked to be on mute but there were a lot of funny conversations as we were waiting to be registered today :D Then they each take you to another room (all done automatically on their end) where the ceremony officer greets you and verifies (privately) all your documents (IDs, seat number, PR card). Then you get redirected to the common room. Afterwards we met the citizenship judge who gave her remarks and welcomed us all. Then we did the oath in English and then in French all together, sang the national anthem and we were done. I waited to have my photo taken at the end with the citizenship judge. I really hope that you'll all hear soon. Now I'm in another line waiting for them to send me my citizenship certificate and possibly add me to the system so that I could register to vote.
My ceremony was yesterday and this is exactly how it was held. Today my application status is updated to closed in tracker.

zeyzey6

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
My ceremony was yesterday and this is exactly how it was held. Today my application status is updated to closed in tracker.
Congratulations! Thank you for the update. My tracker went to "in progress" from "waiting on you" and I don't think I'm registered on Elections Canada yet. So hopefully things will update tomorrow.

Kuks87

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
LANDED..........
15-12-2017
Congrats on becoming Canadian

• Love
Reactions: zeyzey6
Aug 20, 2021
Congratulations! Thank you for the update. My tracker went to "in progress" from "waiting on you" and I don't think I'm registered on Elections Canada yet. So hopefully things will update tomorrow.
Thanks! I checked online today and it shows that Iam not still not registered to vote. But there is an option to register with 2 pieces of id on election day, may be I should try that. Please let me know if it shows that you are registered.

Aug 20, 2021
@zeyzey6 @HalifaxApplicant
Thank you guys very much for the update. Do you know if the oath you attended was for NS only, or if there were attendees from other Atlantic Canada provinces?
I am not sure about that, oath time on invite was in Atlantic time and it has halifax cic email address. Though I can see lot of people have Nova Scotia flag - it might be only for Nova Scotia applicants.

Nova Scotia

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Congratulations!! :D At least now I see IRCC Halifax is moving again after pausing ceremonies for almost half a year! I've been in DM for 4.5 months and that makes me feel they might have lost my file somewhere LOL

• Sad

zeyzey6

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Thank you so much everyone! The question of whether the ceremony was only for applicants from NS or other Atlantic provinces is a great one that I unfortunately don't know either. The three applicants chatting throughout were all in Halifax, and I've applied from Antigonish so I could say with certainty that all 4 of us were NS applicants. It also sounded like all four of us had applied in September 2019. One of the officers coordinating the ceremony was the IRCC Halifax officer who had interviewed me. The only weird part was that the citizenship judge kept mentioning that there could be applicants joining us from Atlantic provinces during the ceremony which made me think that maybe it wasn't all NS but I doubt it. I don't really know so I don't want to speculate but my guess was that it was all NS. My application on the tracker is now back to being in progress so the wait still continues. I'm sending my best wishes to you all!

zeyzey6

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Thanks! I checked online today and it shows that Iam not still not registered to vote. But there is an option to register with 2 pieces of id on election day, may be I should try that. Please let me know if it shows that you are registered.
My online tracker is still not updated so I'm a bit disappointed. Citizenship ceremony part still says in progress. Do you remember when yours updated? As for Elections Canada I also show up as not registered. This is the exact line that I get: "Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm that you're registered to vote." They mentioned that we would be able to vote numerous times in the ceremony yesterday but I guess it's all dependent on them entering the information in the system. I sent the signed oath to their email address probably 15 minutes after the ceremony but still nothing. I'll let you know if anything changes over the weekend but I think I will also try to go and see if I can vote with 2 pieces of ID on election day.

Aug 20, 2021
My online tracker is still not updated so I'm a bit disappointed. Citizenship ceremony part still says in progress. Do you remember when yours updated? As for Elections Canada I also show up as not registered. This is the exact line that I get: "Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm that you're registered to vote." They mentioned that we would be able to vote numerous times in the ceremony yesterday but I guess it's all dependent on them entering the information in the system. I sent the signed oath to their email address probably 15 minutes after the ceremony but still nothing. I'll let you know if anything changes over the weekend but I think I will also try to go and see if I can vote with 2 pieces of ID on election day.
My status changed to completed on the next day after oath. My oath was on 15th and status changed to completed on 16th morning. Also I requested the officer to send me certificate on urgent basis if possible, as I have some travel plans in near future - agent said it is not an issue and will forward it right away as soon as they receive the signed oath and destroyed pr card pics, and I will get my certificate within 2-3 days.

I am not sure if they have already dispatched the certificate and then changed the staus of my file to closed.

zeyzey6

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
My status changed to completed on the next day after oath. My oath was on 15th and status changed to completed on 16th morning. Also I requested the officer to send me certificate on urgent basis if possible, as I have some travel plans in near future - agent said it is not an issue and will forward it right away as soon as they receive the signed oath and destroyed pr card pics, and I will get my certificate within 2-3 days.

I am not sure if they have already dispatched the certificate and then changed the staus of my file to closed.
That's amazing. I'm so happy for you. They asked me if I had any travel plans and I told them that I would not be able to travel given my work schedule probably until December. So I'm definitely not getting my certificate fast :D I'm really crossing my fingers for you. Hopefully you can get the certificate soon and hopefully I will get it within the next month or so. I had to put my two piece PR card away, as it was paining me to see the destroyed PR card and the non-updated tracker. I'll let you know if I see any updates on Elections Canada.

Reactions: HalifaxApplicant
Aug 20, 2021
That's amazing. I'm so happy for you. They asked me if I had any travel plans and I told them that I would not be able to travel given my work schedule probably until December. So I'm definitely not getting my certificate fast :D I'm really crossing my fingers for you. Hopefully you can get the certificate soon and hopefully I will get it within the next month or so. I had to put my two piece PR card away, as it was paining me to see the destroyed PR card and the non-updated tracker. I'll let you know if I see any updates on Elections Canada.
Just an update: Received my certificate yesterday. .

Reactions: zeyzey6 and Kuks87

kubino

May 27, 2014
There are a couple of us still waiting for Oath invites from the Halifax office. Some have been waiting since May, some since June, some since July. I haven't heard about an oath invite from Halifax office in so long. The last one I heard was in April but I am not really sure. I was told that I would get an Oath invite 4 to 8 weeks after my interview in June and 3 weeks have passed since that promised deadline :D
I had my interview on May 25th and still waiting. And I was told it will be 2-3 months form interview to oath.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Nova Scotia