+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any temporary worker in Quebec, but applying for Express Entry, join here.

ramya priya

Jan 19, 2019
Currently I am working from India in a Software Company and providing services as a Vendor to my Client which is an Investment Bank who has their office in Montreal, Qubec province.

I have my wife as an primary applicant, I am secondary and we have 2 years old son in Express Entry PR application. I hope to get my PR in next couple of months.

My question is around getting a first job in Montreal, Quebec via current Software Company in India for my current client an Investment Bank. Can I follow below route even though i dont have physical PR card in hand ?

1) get valid job offer from my current employer for a client in Montreal before travelling from India
2) Land first time in any other province than Quebec
3) get my SIN from airport authority and move next day to Montreal
4) give my relative's address from Toronto to receive physical PR card
5) complete Photo request for PR card from Montreal if required.

Is above thing really that simple as I noted down ? what are the hiccups i need to go through in this process ?

i dont have any long term intentions to settle in Montreal, but getting first job before landing will solve many issues as an immigrant, thats why this question.

appreciate all feedback on this query. thanks.
Hi chaukserahul, We have the same exact case.. can you please let us know if the approach you have mentioned has worked for you?

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
We received ITA and gathering docs, so my question is for continuing the EE from Quebec.

Our plan is since I am the primary applicant, We might move to Montreal in say 3 months, i.e., our post AOR period

-> I want to move to Toronto on Open Work permit, with my husband working in Montreal.
-> If in the worst case, I couldn't find a job.. we are planning to rent a cheap place there to show that I am actually residing in Toronto and not in Montreal and our intention is to move out together to Toronto.

Since I am
We received ITA and gathering docs, so my question is for continuing the EE from Quebec.

Our plan is since I am the primary applicant, We might move to Montreal in say 3 months, i.e., our post AOR period

-> I want to move to Toronto on Open Work permit, with my husband working in Montreal.
-> If in the worst case, I couldn't find a job.. we are planning to rent a cheap place there to show that I am actually residing in Toronto and not in Montreal and our intention is to move out together to Toronto.

Since I am the primary applicant, will the case officer consider my dependent's commitments? or do you see any issues in the above approach
the primary applicant, will the case officer consider my dependent's commitments? or do you see any issues in the above approach
You are a family, the officer will consider both of your intentions together and not as that of the primary applicant alone.
Many have succeeded in applying EE from Quebec by quoting those reasons and many have failed too, like the person who posted recently in this thread.

What might happen is any of the below:

1. Get approved without any issues. ( officer is a fresher and do not know the rules or the officer is liberal )
2. Your application will be put into review required ( takes 1 year or more to move from review required by a case analyst for a senior officer to check it )
3. The officer will call/email ask for more proofs.

Overall your application might get approved or rejected but not misrepresented. So I would say 50-50 chance.
It all depends on your officer who is checking the application, its their discretion.
There are no rules here to follow.

Now you said, you will move to Montreal in 3 months post AOR, the problem here is the officer when checking for eligibility, will check your immigration records in their system and they will see that your husband have been issued an LMIA closed work permit. If officer is that bad, he can reject your EE since he has all the reasons to believe that your husband intent to work in Montreal.

There is also a chance that officer wont check/ wont mind your LMIA work permit. Also if that checks happens before your move to Montreal, maybe your application will pass that critical eligibility checking phase by the case analyst in those 3 months.

This is all a guess. That is why I give 50-50 chance. Its difficult to predict your chances. I have stated what I have read from this forums while waiting 4 years in Quebec :)

My history: I was on H1B, but moved to Quebec in 2016 on temporary work permit. I did not apply for EE at all. Got CSQ in 2018 and applied for Federal stage now.

Reactions: ramya priya

ramya priya

Jan 19, 2019
You are a family, the officer will consider both of your intentions together and not as that of the primary applicant alone.
Many have succeeded in applying EE from Quebec by quoting those reasons and many have failed too, like the person who posted recently in this thread.

What might happen is any of the below:

1. Get approved without any issues. ( officer is a fresher and do not know the rules or the officer is liberal )
2. Your application will be put into review required ( takes 1 year or more to move from review required by a case analyst for a senior officer to check it )
3. The officer will call/email ask for more proofs.

Overall your application might get approved or rejected but not misrepresented. So I would say 50-50 chance.
It all depends on your officer who is checking the application, its their discretion.
There are no rules here to follow.

Now you said, you will move to Montreal in 3 months post AOR, the problem here is the officer when checking for eligibility, will check your immigration records in their system and they will see that your husband have been issued an LMIA closed work permit. If officer is that bad, he can reject your EE since he has all the reasons to believe that your husband intent to work in Montreal.

There is also a chance that officer wont check/ wont mind your LMIA work permit. Also if that checks happens before your move to Montreal, maybe your application will pass that critical eligibility checking phase by the case analyst in those 3 months.

This is all a guess. That is why I give 50-50 chance. Its difficult to predict your chances. I have stated what I have read from this forums while waiting 4 years in Quebec :)

My history: I was on H1B, but moved to Quebec in 2016 on temporary work permit. I did not apply for EE at all. Got CSQ in 2018 and applied for Federal stage now.
Thanks for the great detailed explanation :)

Me and my husband have agreed that, if the LMIA work permit is taking some good time..we would delay our travel till we get PR approved.

If we were given WP super quickly then we will try to move and take our chances as mentioned.

Hope that we end up with the best possible approach.!

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Thanks for the great detailed explanation :)

Me and my husband have agreed that, if the LMIA work permit is taking some good time..we would delay our travel till we get PR approved.

If we were given WP super quickly then we will try to move and take our chances as mentioned.

Hope that we end up with the best possible approach.!
LMIA work permit can take 6+ months ( Atleast that was the case in 2016 when mine was done). Not sure if they have improved their processing time now. LMIA in Quebec is a joint process between Quebec MIDI and Federal. So there is a lot of delay and beauracracy in LMIA process.

So if your LMIA process was started recently, you have very good chances that your PR will be approved before you land on work permit.
If possible, please come back after some months and update your status here so that it will be useful for others too.

All the best.

Reactions: ramya priya

ramya priya

Jan 19, 2019
LMIA work permit can take 6+ months ( Atleast that was the case in 2016 when mine was done). Not sure if they have improved their processing time now. LMIA in Quebec is a joint process between Quebec MIDI and Federal. So there is a lot of delay and beauracracy in LMIA process.

So if your LMIA process was started recently, you have very good chances that your PR will be approved before you land on work permit.
If possible, please come back after some months and update your status here so that it will be useful for others too.

All the best.
I hope LMIA work permit takes longer and I get our PR by then, by God's grace.

Sure, I will update my status.. I found few persons with my exact same scenario but they are not at all responding. It would have been an easy decision for us, if at least one of them could have responded

DGUNPREET

Aug 20, 2019
i received invitation yesterday,applied on AUG 8,2019 (NOTE:i was one of 18000 rejected applicant ,courtesy bill9 )
I am planning to go for express entry as my work experience of 1 year in Quebec gonna be completed on NOV 5,2019; will have 500+ points as i am graduate ,blood relation,india 1 year exp.
But i am little confused whether to accept the invitation for CSQ or not
Can anyone tell if i want to surrender csq ,what will be procedure? and how long it takes.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
i received invitation yesterday,applied on AUG 8,2019 (NOTE:i was one of 18000 rejected applicant ,courtesy bill9 )
I am planning to go for express entry as my work experience of 1 year in Quebec gonna be completed on NOV 5,2019; will have 500+ points as i am graduate ,blood relation,india 1 year exp.
But i am little confused whether to accept the invitation for CSQ or not
Can anyone tell if i want to surrender csq ,what will be procedure? and how long it takes.
You just received your invitation for CSQ. There is nothing to surrender. Just don't respond to document request from MIDI that's all.

If you want to apply for EE, do it at your own discretion. The pros and cons of EE from Québec have already been discussed here. Pls go thru it.

paddy147

Mar 2, 2019
Hello guys, so after waiting for 7 months here is the bad news, My application was refused because i didn't show that my job offer will be valid for at least one year after being issued permanent visa . My job is permanent but i used the job offer issued by the same employer for my IEC work permit which according to IEC requirement cannot exceed 2 years. My mistake i should have asked my employer to right another offer.

now i don't know what to do. below is the letter i recieved.

Dear xxxxxxx,

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada. Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations.

The visa or document may be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. In addition, according to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: 11.2 An officer may not issue a visa or other document in respect of an application for permanent residence to a foreign national who was issued an invitation under Division 0.1 to make such an application if – at the time the invitation was issued or at the time the officer received their application – the foreign national did not meet the criteria set out in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(e) or does not have the qualifications on the basis of which they were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h) and were consequently issued the invitation. Section 11.2 of the Act requires that information provided in your Express Entry Profile concerning your eligibility to be invited to apply (10.3(1)(e)) as well as the qualifications on the basis of which you were ranked (10.3(1)(h)) be valid both at the time the invitation was issued and at the time the application for permanent residence is received. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited you to apply for permanent resident status based on the qualifications you claimed in your Express Entry profile. In your Express Entry profile you indicated that you have an arranged employment with:  2017-12 to 2018-12 - Electromécanicien (NOC: 7333) - at xxxxx On July 15th, 2019, you also submitted an employment offer with xxxxx located in Quebec. The letter of offer was signed by both parties on June 24th, 2019, and you were offered an indeterminate position as an electrical mechanics NOC 7333 at their location in Ontario.

Previously, you has a work permit under a LMIA exemption ID with xxxxxx. Your work permit was issued from December 6th, 2017 to December 5th, 2019. In your application, you claimed 50 points for arranged employment, however, firstly the letter submitted by xxxxx is not recent and it does not confirm your employment for at least one year once your Permanent Residence visa will be issued as set out by MI29(1)(b) and MI29(2).

Secondly, based on the offer of employment from xxxxxxx, you did not demonstrate that you have already acquired at least one year of work for that employer as set out by MI29(2)(c).

In accordance with section 11.2 of the Act, I am refusing your application because I have found that you do not possess the qualification on the basis of which you were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h). This change in your qualifications resulted in a loss of 48 points and a revised score of 397, which brought your rank below the lowest ranking person who was invited to apply in your draw, under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System. The lowest point score in the round of invitation that the PA was invited in was: 445 As I have found that you no longer possess the qualification on the basis of which you were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h), you no longer meet the requirements of Section 11.2 of Act. Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application. You will receive a refund of the Right of Permanent Residence Fee that you have paid. The decision communicated in this letter constitutes the definitive and final decision on your present application. Your application will be retained, under current Government of Canada file retention guidelines, for a period of two years. Your application forms and supporting documents will not be returned to you. If you should submit a new application it would require new fees and documentation and would need to meet all the requirements in effect at the time the application is submitted. You must remove your Job Seeker profile from the Job Bank website as you are no longer an Express Entry candidate. You must also remove any references that you are a candidate for Express Entry from any private job board websites, if you used any. If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you may take steps to improve your competitiveness and register for Express Entry at a later date. For example, you may try to improve your language score or gain a higher level of education. However, you must meet the minimum requirements to enter the Express Entry pool and there is no guarantee that you will be issued another invitation to apply for permanent residence under one of the immigration programs subject to Express Entry. Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada. Yours sincerely, CXA Case Processing Centre – Ottawa | Centre de traitement des demandes – Ottawa Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada | Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada Case Specific Enquiries | Demande de renseignements propre à un cas Site : www.cic.gc.ca

ramya priya

Jan 19, 2019
Hello guys, so after waiting for 7 months here is the bad news, My application was refused because i didn't show that my job offer will be valid for at least one year after being issued permanent visa . My job is permanent but i used the job offer issued by the same employer for my IEC work permit which according to IEC requirement cannot exceed 2 years. My mistake i should have asked my employer to right another offer.

now i don't know what to do. below is the letter i recieved.

Dear xxxxxxx,

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada. Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations.

The visa or document may be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. In addition, according to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: 11.2 An officer may not issue a visa or other document in respect of an application for permanent residence to a foreign national who was issued an invitation under Division 0.1 to make such an application if – at the time the invitation was issued or at the time the officer received their application – the foreign national did not meet the criteria set out in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(e) or does not have the qualifications on the basis of which they were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h) and were consequently issued the invitation. Section 11.2 of the Act requires that information provided in your Express Entry Profile concerning your eligibility to be invited to apply (10.3(1)(e)) as well as the qualifications on the basis of which you were ranked (10.3(1)(h)) be valid both at the time the invitation was issued and at the time the application for permanent residence is received. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited you to apply for permanent resident status based on the qualifications you claimed in your Express Entry profile. In your Express Entry profile you indicated that you have an arranged employment with:  2017-12 to 2018-12 - Electromécanicien (NOC: 7333) - at xxxxx On July 15th, 2019, you also submitted an employment offer with xxxxx located in Quebec. The letter of offer was signed by both parties on June 24th, 2019, and you were offered an indeterminate position as an electrical mechanics NOC 7333 at their location in Ontario.

Previously, you has a work permit under a LMIA exemption ID with xxxxxx. Your work permit was issued from December 6th, 2017 to December 5th, 2019. In your application, you claimed 50 points for arranged employment, however, firstly the letter submitted by xxxxx is not recent and it does not confirm your employment for at least one year once your Permanent Residence visa will be issued as set out by MI29(1)(b) and MI29(2).

Secondly, based on the offer of employment from xxxxxxx, you did not demonstrate that you have already acquired at least one year of work for that employer as set out by MI29(2)(c).

In accordance with section 11.2 of the Act, I am refusing your application because I have found that you do not possess the qualification on the basis of which you were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h). This change in your qualifications resulted in a loss of 48 points and a revised score of 397, which brought your rank below the lowest ranking person who was invited to apply in your draw, under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System. The lowest point score in the round of invitation that the PA was invited in was: 445 As I have found that you no longer possess the qualification on the basis of which you were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h), you no longer meet the requirements of Section 11.2 of Act. Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application. You will receive a refund of the Right of Permanent Residence Fee that you have paid. The decision communicated in this letter constitutes the definitive and final decision on your present application. Your application will be retained, under current Government of Canada file retention guidelines, for a period of two years. Your application forms and supporting documents will not be returned to you. If you should submit a new application it would require new fees and documentation and would need to meet all the requirements in effect at the time the application is submitted. You must remove your Job Seeker profile from the Job Bank website as you are no longer an Express Entry candidate. You must also remove any references that you are a candidate for Express Entry from any private job board websites, if you used any. If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you may take steps to improve your competitiveness and register for Express Entry at a later date. For example, you may try to improve your language score or gain a higher level of education. However, you must meet the minimum requirements to enter the Express Entry pool and there is no guarantee that you will be issued another invitation to apply for permanent residence under one of the immigration programs subject to Express Entry. Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada. Yours sincerely, CXA Case Processing Centre – Ottawa | Centre de traitement des demandes – Ottawa Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada | Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada Case Specific Enquiries | Demande de renseignements propre à un cas Site : www.cic.gc.ca
Hard luck paddy147, but you can immediately reapply with new Employement offer.. I believe.

poonamdangi

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
AOR Received.
18-09-2019
Med's Done....
09-10-2019
I am starting this new thread for anyone who is pursuing Express Entry while temporarily working in Quebec. There are many successful applicants in this forum who have done this. I hope they will give their inputs here.

Reasons to go Express Entry route :

1. Not knowing French, spouse not getting jobs.
2. Did not know that Quebec PR route was different from Express Entry when you accepted job offer.
3. CSQ for regular inland applicants delayed for unknown amount of time.
4. Do not want to live and settle in Quebec for some reason.

So the million dollar question from CIC's FAQ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=382&top=29

Can I apply under the Canadian Experience Class if I am currently living in Quebec and I plan to live elsewhere in Canada?

Yes. You can apply and count your work experience in Quebec.

If you plan to live in Quebec, you must apply to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec. Quebec selects its own immigrants.

Proving the intent to live outside Quebec

The onus is upon us to prove our intention to reside outside Quebec. It means you don't need to move out first and then apply. The FAQ says "if I am currently living in Quebec and I plan to live elsewhere" , .

In the Letter of Explanation section in Express Entry after getting an ITA, we need to provide a letter to the VO convincing the officer of our reasons, intentions and the steps that we have taken for the move. If the VO is convinced, our application will be accepted. If rejected, its still not misrepresentation.

The steps we have taken to prove our intent can be:

1. Job offers from other provinces.
2. Spouse not getting job.
3. Cannot speak French.
4. Cannot grow in career without speaking French etc.

If anyone is planning to go this route, lets discuss and help each other here.
Do you know if the fee gets refunded if our application is rejected because of the Quebec connection?

poonamdangi

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
AOR Received.
18-09-2019
Med's Done....
09-10-2019
Are you planning to move to Quebec or are you already in Quebec and planning for EE ?
I am in Quebec and have submitted my profile, my current score is 523( including 50 points for my extended work offer which is up to 2023). I really wish to move to another province because I can't find a job here.