+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternate good career options for Indian Doctor in Canada

Niravpatel09

Mar 3, 2020
Ok sir thank you for your reply..but some consultants says that she can do job as assistant doctor in Canada is that true?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok sir thank you for your reply..but some consultants says that she can do job as assistant doctor in Canada is that true?
An assistant doctor doesn’t exist. Perhaps the consultant meant working as a medical office assistant. Usually most people have some schooling to train for these positions although not required. These jobs may be difficult to get without specific training and are relatively low paying.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
She basically needed to be re-trained to get to be registered in any position in the medical field.
(e.g. Nurses, even meidcal clinic reception have sepecific training)

Shaunak sharma

Sep 10, 2019
What if I’m already permanent resident and have done MBBS in India.
How can I become a surgeon in canada? Please someone guide me. I believe I would be having some advantage over internationals medical graduates right?
Please someone give me details.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
How can I become a surgeon in canada? Please someone guide me. I believe I would be having some advantage over internationals medical graduates right?
Short answer, no.
Long answer, unlikely you will be able to practice medicine. You will need to do your residency again. Limited spots every year and Canadian graduates preferred.

nehasood27

Jun 30, 2020
hi,
I am an ENT surgeon practising in India. Is it possible to work there as a doctor? if not can i apply for some research jobs and do an MBA on the side... any suggestions will be nice
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Essentially you must pass your licensing exams first. Then you must compete with other IMGs for any leftover residency spots. The big issue is that there aren’t a lot of spots leftover and the majority are GP, psychiatry, pathology and public health. Not knowing French eliminates some leftover residency positions especially in Quebec. It can take a number of years to get a residency spot and some never get one. For some specialties there will likely never be an open spot after Canadian students have matched. You will have to do 5 years of residency and likely a fellowship. Then you could try and find a job in Canada. Unfortunately some Canadian graduates can’t find jobs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi,
I am an ENT surgeon practising in India. Is it possible to work there as a doctor? if not can i apply for some research jobs and do an MBA on the side... any suggestions will be nice
Thanks
Just posted this for someone else but it answers many of your question.

Essentially you must pass your licensing exams first. Then you must compete with other IMGs for any leftover residency spots. The big issue is that there aren’t a lot of spots leftover and the majority are GP, psychiatry, pathology and public health. Not knowing French eliminates some leftover residency positions especially in Quebec. It can take a number of years to get a residency spot and some never get one. For some specialties there will likely never be an open spot after Canadian students have matched. You will have to do 5 years of residency and likely a fellowship. Then you could try and find a job in Canada. Unfortunately some Canadian graduates can’t find jobs

ENT may be one of those residencies that don’t have leftover spots very often. You would need to look back at the historical state about unmatched spots. If you did get a spot you would likely be looking at 7 years before you are back to practicing on your own. Is there a reason you want to come to Canada? Many other countries make it much easier for IMGs to practice than Canada. If you want to make money you could also work in the Gulf region.

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
My wife is a Indian doctor, she did mbbs ,can she work as a assistant doctor in canada without getting a license?
Check out this page Pooji; it may be of interest: (NOTE: From IDP)
https://www.idp.com/egypt/search/health-administration/postgraduate/canada/

Note: Memorial University in Newfoundland is an excellent school. Plus because of the location they have VERY reasonable prices. If you aren't addicted to traffic and office buildings this place is paradise. Video:
https://www.mun.ca/

MBA's http://www.canadian-universities.net/MBA/MBA_Tuition_International.html
Hospital administration is a pretty narrow field and positions are usually filled by people who have practiced in Canadian hospitals. An MBA would be a good option but wouldn’t focus on just the healthcare field. Many go into public health but there is quite a lot of competition for public health

https://michener.ca/choose/ shows some alternate medical fields. There are more of course. You’d need to look into whether these jobs are in demand and average compensation is.
Helo....I'm doing my final year MBBS in India. My would be husband has done MBA in Canada n working there.
So after completing my degree ,I have to migrate to Canada with him.

After going through many sites n reviews, I came to know that it's too tough to get a pg residency in Canada. And even I don't want to waste my time there after knowing all the issues to settle there as practicing doc.

So, I want to know about some other alternative courses which are related to healthcare.

And another important point is that, we may go back n settle in India after 10 years.
So I need a course that can help me in getting a job in India too.

Can anyone please help me through this .
Hey.. I’m also in a similar situation...
Helo....I'm doing my final year MBBS in India. My would be husband has done MBA in Canada n working there.
So after completing my degree ,I have to migrate to Canada with him.

After going through many sites n reviews, I came to know that it's too tough to get a pg residency in Canada. And even I don't want to waste my time there after knowing all the issues to settle there as practicing doc.

So, I want to know about some other alternative courses which are related to healthcare.

And another important point is that, we may go back n settle in India after 10 years.
So I need a course that can help me in getting a job in India too.

Can anyone please help me through this .
Hi there.. I’m also in a similar situation like you.
I’m also from India. Doing my 4th year medicine in Georgia . It’s a 6 year course. So after 2 years I have to relocate to Canada. My fiancé is working there and he’s a permanent resident.
Did you find any good options after mbbs ?
Can you pls help me with this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey.. I’m also in a similar situation...

Hi there.. I’m also in a similar situation like you.
I’m also from India. Doing my 4th year medicine in Georgia . It’s a 6 year course. So after 2 years I have to relocate to Canada. My fiancé is working there and he’s a permanent resident.
Did you find any good options after mbbs ?
Can you pls help me with this?
Really depends on what you want to pursue

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m looking for courses that are related to medical field. Like cardiovascular perfusion , nuclear medicine- something like that
These all involve more schooling so you’ll need to look at applying for these programs and whether they are available where your husband lives. It may be quite difficult to get admitted to many of these programs.

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
These all involve more schooling so you’ll need to look at applying for these programs and whether they are available where your husband lives. It may be quite difficult to get admitted to many of these programs.
so can you suggest me some other options here . Like anything related to medical field. Pls.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so can you suggest me some other options here . Like anything related to medical field. Pls.
There are tons of examples. Would suggest looking at the courses offered at the university and colleges in the city where your spouse works or other cities if you want to move. Would apply to more than one course or school. Will also depend on how long you want to spend in school. Would then really research what skills are actually needed in Canada. Canada has a large surplus of some medical professionals like dentists and pharmacists. Some websites give incorrect information about what skills are needed so would make sure you look at a variety of sources. You also may want to try to get a residency spot especially if you are interested in something like pathology, psychiatry, family medicine, public health and there may be a few more types of residencies that offer a better chance of becoming a physician as an IMG.