+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternate good career options for Indian Doctor in Canada

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
There are tons of examples. Would suggest looking at the courses offered at the university and colleges in the city where your spouse works or other cities if you want to move. Would apply to more than one course or school. Will also depend on how long you want to spend in school. Would then really research what skills are actually needed in Canada. Canada has a large surplus of some medical professionals like dentists and pharmacists. Some websites give incorrect information about what skills are needed so would make sure you look at a variety of sources. You also may want to try to get a residency spot especially if you are interested in something like pathology, psychiatry, family medicine, public health and there may be a few more types of residencies that offer a better chance of becoming a physician as an IMG.
In order to apply for something like pathology, family medicine, psychiatry etc, should I clear the MCCQE? Or is my medical degree valid without clearing the exam ?

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
There are tons of examples. Would suggest looking at the courses offered at the university and colleges in the city where your spouse works or other cities if you want to move. Would apply to more than one course or school. Will also depend on how long you want to spend in school. Would then really research what skills are actually needed in Canada. Canada has a large surplus of some medical professionals like dentists and pharmacists. Some websites give incorrect information about what skills are needed so would make sure you look at a variety of sources. You also may want to try to get a residency spot especially if you are interested in something like pathology, psychiatry, family medicine, public health and there may be a few more types of residencies that offer a better chance of becoming a physician as an IMG.
If I wanna get into some courses ( something related to medical field) using my foreign medical degree, is it necessary to clear MCCQE? Or is it only for practicing as a doctor?
Like if I wanna pursuit any career in the medical field, should I clear the exam?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In order to apply for something like pathology, family medicine, psychiatry etc, should I clear the MCCQE? Or is my medical degree valid without clearing the exam ?
Yes you must clear the exam first. I would look into what residencies were leftover after Canadian students matched via CARMS. In general residencies where there is little patienr interaction are not as favoured by Canadian medical students. A residency is far from guaranteed but if you look at what residencies are typically left after Canadian students match over the past 2-3 years you can make an educated choice about whether you should pursue MCCQE. The residency locations also tend to be in less popular areas so getting a residency in some of the larger cities will also be less likely.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I wanna get into some courses ( something related to medical field) using my foreign medical degree, is it necessary to clear MCCQE? Or is it only for practicing as a doctor?
Like if I wanna pursuit any career in the medical field, should I clear the exam?
Only reason to do the MCCQE would be if you are trying to secure a residency. Otherwise no need.

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
Yes you must clear the exam first. I would look into what residencies were leftover after Canadian students matched via CARMS. In general residencies where there is little patienr interaction are not as favoured by Canadian medical students. A residency is far from guaranteed but if you look at what residencies are typically left after Canadian students match over the past 2-3 years you can make an educated choice about whether you should pursue MCCQE. The residency locations also tend to be in less popular areas so getting a residency in some of the larger cities will also be less likely.
Thank you so much ❤

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
Can I apply for Bsc. Nursing program with my medical degree? Do you think it’s good option if I wanna be in health care field?
There are 2 year programs in some universities right?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can I apply for Bsc. Nursing program with my medical degree? Do you think it’s good option if I wanna be in health care field?
There are 2 year programs in some universities right?
Yes Canada can always need more nurses and the chances of acceptance are very good. Still is tough to secure the best paid and most desirable nursing jobs but obviously there are more nurses needed versus other technicians and nurses are required wherever you move in Canada.

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
Yes Canada can always need more nurses and the chances of acceptance are very good. Still is tough to secure the best paid and most desirable nursing jobs but obviously there are more nurses needed versus other technicians and nurses are required wherever you move in Canada.
Thank you so much ❤❤❤

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much ❤❤❤
Best of luck. There was a previous IMG that did nursing and then went on to become a nurse practionner which allowed him to have his own practice in a more rural location without a doctor. Nurse practionner could be a longterm goal or surgical nurse. All depends on what you'd like to do and what kind of schedule can work for your life.

Good luck!

Venus28

Aug 1, 2020
Best of luck. There was a previous IMG that did nursing and then went on to become a nurse practionner which allowed him to have his own practice in a more rural location without a doctor. Nurse practionner could be a longterm goal or surgical nurse. All depends on what you'd like to do and what kind of schedule can work for your life.

Good luck!
Wow. That’s amazing. Thank you so much. You’ve been very helpful.❤

Dhwani_007

Dec 12, 2021
Helo....I'm doing my final year MBBS in India. My would be husband has done MBA in Canada n working there.
So after completing my degree ,I have to migrate to Canada with him.

After going through many sites n reviews, I came to know that it's too tough to get a pg residency in Canada. And even I don't want to waste my time there after knowing all the issues to settle there as practicing doc.

So, I want to know about some other alternative courses which are related to healthcare.

And another important point is that, we may go back n settle in India after 10 years.
So I need a course that can help me in getting a job in India too.

Can anyone please help me through this .
Hey I'm in similar situation. What did you opt. For at the end?