+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
washington.state said:
So what time do you think will be great? I am thinking for April. I mean I was also considering at least 3-4 days because 1 night stay in Chicago, 1 night stay in Bismarck North Dakota and then either Havre MT or Great Falls.

NY - Chicago 10-12 hours drive
Chicago - Bismarck ND 13-14 hours drive
Bismarck - Sweet Grass MT 10-13 hours drive
Sweet Grass MT - Calgary 2-3 hours (including Car import paperwork/immigration time)
Hi!

Yes, April would be great. I think it would take you about 5 days, depending of course on how many hours of drive per day. You might need to stop over at Minnessota. Don't forget to proceed to the US border first for you car export procedures before going to the Canadian border. Otherwise, the import officer will require you to drive back to the US border.

ekhishana

Mar 17, 2011
Hi washington.state:

I am also planning to land in April. However I was doing some cost benefit analysis of driving all the way to Calgary Vs. flying to Calgary and shipping the car to Calgary.

Looks like the most cost effective method would be to ship the car to Great Falls Montana to some Hotel and driving from there to Calgary Alberta.

However need to do some thorough research about the exportation of car from US and Importation of Car into Canada.

Also some other outstanding questions like:

Once you clear Canadian border will your US Car insurance cover you? Looks like the answer is "no" . I have Geico insurance and saw that US insurance companies cover you in Canada ONLY if you are visiting Canada temporarily. As people like us will be PRs we will need to buy Canadian Car insurance which will take effect as soon as we cross the border.

I am doing some more research on this.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ekhishana said:
Hi washington.state:

I am also planning to land in April. However I was doing some cost benefit analysis of driving all the way to Calgary Vs. flying to Calgary and shipping the car to Calgary.

Looks like the most cost effective method would be to ship the car to Great Falls Montana to some Hotel and driving from there to Calgary Alberta.

However need to do some thorough research about the exportation of car from US and Importation of Car into Canada.

Also some other outstanding questions like:

Once you clear Canadian border will your US Car insurance cover you? Looks like the answer is "no" . I have Geico insurance and saw that US insurance companies cover you in Canada ONLY if you are visiting Canada temporarily. As people like us will be PRs we will need to buy Canadian Car insurance which will take effect as soon as we cross the border.

Shipping car is very tricky idea because shipping companies are the biggest lier and all they need your credit card and then they just keep charging you. fuel surcharge, bill of lading, open carrier, enclosed carrier, yard delivery etc they have numerous excuses to do that. Other thing is that why Hotel will allow for 75 feet long car transport truck to deliver an unknown car in their parking lot. It will actually help car stealing gangs to operate intrastate more efficiently. I had numerous conversation with Hotels/Motels on Highways near Havre, MT, Great Falls MT and even Helena MT. Nobody was willing to sign the car transport paperwork.Once they deliver the car there has to be a person who should sign the letter where no Hotel staff was ready to sign that.
Last thing is shipping rates: From New York City to Spokane Washington State (Major Metro to Metro) is almost 1500-1600$ and I am sure when actually you take their service it will become 1800$.

On the other hand 450$ including toll and gas will take you from NYC to Downtown Calgary. The only additional expense will the two or three stay which will be almost:

60$ a night Chicago
60$ a night Bismarck North Dakota
60$ a night Great Falls, MT or Havre MT or Helena MT

so total expense if you drive your self will be 180$ for Hotel Stay and 450$ for Gas and tolls = 630$ for one person and if two people share then almost 315$ each.

Insurance Worries:

I also have GEICO insurance and GEICO will issue a Canadian non resident card which will cover you in Canada for a period of upto 60 days then you can buy Canadian insurance once you make your car asper Canadian standards with DRL (daytime running lights) Lamps and tires, pass Alberta Safety and Emission test, register it in Alberta, Get Alberta DL which is just 20 minutes thing for people with US Driver license.

BTW fuel expense will be actually lot less than what I am assuming because overall 2500 miles/ 20 MPG * 3.5$ PG = 437$ On this type of trip actual mpg will be around 30-35 instead of 20.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
ekhishana said:

Try State Farm Insurance. I used them when I imported my car to Canada.

ekhishana

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks BZ Mom:
I remember you had updated the forum with your driving across the sweetgrass/coutts border. Just so that I have got it right could you lease confirm that following are the steps:

On the US Side fax the US customs the front and back copies of your Title signed atleast 72 hours before your arrival @ the border.
What do I tell them ...that I am exporting my car to Canada? What do they do then? Do they stamp my tittle or passport?

Next on the Canadian side show passport with PR Visa/CPR documents for each family member,things to follow list and things you are carrying list.
Then report to Canadian customs that you are importing the car.They will inspect and issue me a FORM 1 ...right?
Then if all goes well drive to Calgary.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seeking someone who is renting 10ft uhaul so that I can attach automobile dolly with my car on it. you use truck I will use dolly and be Alberta bound.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Hi Ekhishana,

I remember I called the US Border office in Sweetgrass, Montana (403-432-5522) and they gave me a website (UCanImport.com) where the step-by-step procedures to export cars to Canada can be found. You should have a cover letter attached to the documents (there is also a Vehicle Export Worksheet in this website which you can download) indicating the Year, Make Model and VIN of the vehicle and your contact information Telephone no./fax no./e-mail address.

At the US Border, they asked me the date when I faxed the documents, I think that's how their files are arranged. In my case, I do not have the original title as my car is under financing, so they stamped the certified copy that I presented to them (not on the passport).

On the Canadian side, the COPR and passport are presented to the Immigration Officer and he/she will ask you and your family member to sign the COPR. The B-4 forms and the car import documents are presented to a different counter (the immigration officer will tell you which counter). The officer will ask you to fill up Form 1, then he will sign the form and fill up some information as well and give you copies of it (make sure the information in the copy of the Form 1 are readable). He/She will also stamp the copies of your B-4 forms.

After this, you are good to go!

You can also refer to the website of the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (www.riv.ca) for the importer checklist.

Ell.Bee

Jan 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb - 2009
Doc's Request.
Nov - 2009
Nomination.....
Dec - 2009 CIC App. Filed..: May 2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-09-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
03-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-17-2011
LANDED..........
04-06-2011
Hi,

If I am only doing my landing and importing my Car later when I move finally, what do I need to do at time of Landing? Is it just list the car on the goods to follow list or is there some more documenation to be done.

Anyone who has already done this please explain.

Thanks,
L.B

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
folks I got a very good solution. I have been struggling with Hotel Owners in Montana where nobody was ready to accept my car delivery through shipping company now I got solution and few Motel owners are ready to accept my car, sign delivery paperwork. Not just accept the car from transport truck, they said they can also hold for few days untill I get to Montana from east coast which is the best!!!!! Now car can be shipped to Great Falls, Montana and I can get to same Motel stay there, drive two hours and here is Coutts, POE and finish the import paperwork and that's it. Calgary welcomes you! If anybody was struggling with same problem then contact me. Also the cheapest way to get to Havre MT is Amtrack rail which is from NYC to Chicago and from Chicago to Havre MT which is only 300 miles from Calgary and one can easily drive. NYC to Havre MTthru Amtrack is only 197$ while flights will take around 300.

monteiromarcosb

Star Member
Feb 12, 2009
Ell.Bee said:
Hi,

If I am only doing my landing and importing my Car later when I move finally, what do I need to do at time of Landing? Is it just list the car on the goods to follow list or is there some more documenation to be done.

Anyone who has already done this please explain.

Thanks,
L.B
you have to import your car at the time you do your landing. cannot list as a good to follow.

ekhishana

Mar 17, 2011
Hi Seniors who have landed:

What would be your suggestion to transfer one's funds from US to Canada while landing?

I mean....I am planning to leave US for good and land in Canada on May 1, 2011. Except for some nominal amount I want to transfer all my US funds to Canada. What would be the best way to do this?

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ekhishana said:
Hi Seniors who have landed:

What would be your suggestion to transfer one's funds from US to Canada while landing?

I mean....I am planning to leave US for good and land in Canada on May 1, 2011. Except for some nominal amount I want to transfer all my US funds to Canada. What would be the best way to do this?
I would say that don't do travellers cheque etc because they take 25-30 days to clear which really sucks and you need funds most within the first 30 days of arrival when apartment security deposit, grocery, clothing, Driver License fee, car registration, car insurance etc all happens within 1st month. Even don't write fund transfer cheque from Bank in Canada to Bank in US because Canadian Banks pretty much provide services just as Banks do in third world. They will clear that Canada to US cheque as if you are getting an overseas cheque cleared in third world countries. Close account right here in US and keep partial cash, partial International money orders, partial Canadian dollars and then you can write cheque for remaining amount so even those Canadian bastar.d.s take 30 days to clear, you are safe at home and ready to spend. Here is break down for 10,000$

close account in USA and get 10,000
Keep 1000$ US $ Cash
Convert 4000$ into Canadian dollars right before leaving
keep 2000$ International Money Orders in Canadian Dollars
for rest you can write cheque in Calgary so you have enough liquidity to manage and wait.

SinghIsKing

Jul 15, 2009
Guys!
Just want to share our landing Experience last Friday March 25 2011.
We landed through Detroit Windsor Tunnel. The IO at window directed us to Customs and Immigration. We have to wait half an hour before we were called. I gave them all the papers and original goods to accompany & follow list (two copies). Then they asked for my address in Canada. I provided them with Ontario's address and mentioned that this will be our address for next 3 months till be move to Alberta. They were very nice , generous and happy people.
They welcomed me 4-5 times to Canada. And we were done after another half an hour.
Saturday morning we went to service Canada and got our SIN numbers.

The whole process was very smooth and friendly.