+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

jovan

Star Member
Aug 4, 2009
This was posted in another thread:

philly said:
Friends,

I fly from Philadelphia to Calgary took the connecting flight in Chicago on Feb 9th.

Arrived in Calgary around 8:45 PM. Immigration process went very smoothly not many questions.

Officer asked me Where you are coming from and what address you are going to live in Calgary.

I told officer it is my friend address and I gave my friend address in Calgary. He is fine with that.
Then officer asked us to Sign on CPR documents. I signed for myself and Kid. Wife she signed her.

Officer told me I will get my cards in 4 to 6 weeks. I can apply SIN, Health cad and Drivers License right away.
Also officer explained me about Permanent Residency obligations, I have to live 2 yrs to renew my card and he told go for Customs.

At Customs Lady officer asked me List of goods Bringing with me and list of goods to follow and gave each 2 sets.
She looked at list she put the stamp on it , she kept one set and gave me back one set.
We carried My wife Jewelry , she didn't even asked to look at it. Finally she told me Welcome to Calgary.

While coming back to USA , I used AVR(Automatic Visa Revalidation) Visa expired in my passport and with valid H1 end of this year. My wife has valid visa in her passport.

The officer asked me you didn't get the visa stamp while in you are in Calgary, I Said No. Then he asked me about how come your wife has visa in her passport and you don't have?
I told she travelled to home country at that time she got her visa stamped. He asked me fill the New I-94 for myself and come back front of the line.
After completing the I-94, came back to the officer, He asked me how long you stayed in Calgary, Purpose of the trip, country of citizenship and Date of birth.
Finally he asked me to show the Stamp in my passport for arrival proof of date. I showed in the Canada Landing stamp in my passport he is fine with that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

NewHome_Alberta

Star Member
Jun 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monteiromarcosb said:
I was thinking about that option, but I think somebody in the forum said the cards are not sent to po boxes, I was thinking about the ups option of a po box with a formal street address, but I decided not to do it. I was lucky to find a friend in Montana whose parents live in Lethbridge and I used their address for now. I also contacted some old friends from the forum who had already landed to see if they could help me and I was very surprised to find out how many good people are willing to help in this forum. Why don't you try to contact old members who have moved to alberta to ask them if the could help you. unfortunately I don't have my own address yet, and it will take awhile until I get one.

good luck!
Thank you for your response. I do not have any friend or relative in Alberta. So i have only option is to rent a place then apply for PR card.
Any idea, thoughts about short term appartment leasing option in alberta?

monteiromarcosb

Star Member
Feb 12, 2009
NewHome_Alberta said:
Thank you for your response. I do not have any friend or relative in Alberta. So i have only option is to rent a place then apply for PR card.
Any idea, thoughts about short term appartment leasing option in alberta?
considering that you're still waiting for your passports to be returned with the visas (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can say that you still have some time to find someone already living in Alberta who is willing to help you with a local address. Do not be shy, search for people in the forum who already moved to Alberta and send them a PM asking if they can help you. It doesn't hurt to ask and the worst it can happen is receiving a 'no'. On the other hand, if you have the means to rent a place for a couple of months (remember the PR cards can take from 30 to 90 days to be received) it's a nice option for you.

Good luck!

DKSCHOWDARY

Star Member
Jan 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2009
Doc's Request.
05-05-2009
Nomination.....
16-01-2010
AOR Received.
01-08-2010
File Transfer...
24-01-2011
Med's Request
01-08-2010
Med's Done....
17-08-2010
I tried to request few Sr members who r already settled in Alberta for PR mailing address... looks like everyone of them had already helped ppl and have tons of requests... So possibly we can expect a NO. nothing to blame... definitely can understand their concern.... i would say... if u can move towards the option of staying there for a month or two and explore places...etc... this is what i am planing to do as well... i will have to search for temporary accommodation...

monteiromarcosb said:
considering that you're still waiting for your passports to be returned with the visas (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can say that you still have some time to find someone already living in Alberta who is willing to help you with a local address. Do not be shy, search for people in the forum who already moved to Alberta and send them a PM asking if they can help you. It doesn't hurt to ask and the worst it can happen is receiving a 'no'. On the other hand, if you have the means to rent a place for a couple of months (remember the PR cards can take from 30 to 90 days to be received) it's a nice option for you.

Good luck!

Manny

Dec 31, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 30, 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 25, 2009
Nomination.....
Dec 07, 2009 CIC App. Filed.: Mar 15, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Request
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Done....
Jul 15, 2010 File transferred: Nov 10, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 15, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2010
LANDED..........
Apr 07, 2011
boston said:
Hi All,

I would like to share my Calgary Landing Experience.

I had booked deal with Priceline from Boston to Calgary from 13th Feb to 16th Feb with Hotel. I paid 733 dollars including everything (Flight + Hotel in Downtown). My flight was via Chicago. BOS-ORD-YYD.

I stayed in Downtown hotel called 5 Calgary Downtown hotel. Nice hotel for PR landing, because everything is around (SIN and Health Card) Bank is little far but it's really easy to get used to with downtown. I really enjoyed there. I mean really... In just a day I'm like familiar with enough to find out any address.

I started my journey on 13th Feb 2011. I had flight from Boston at 6.55 AM with Chicago connection. I reached Calgary at around 1.00 PM local time. As soon as I got off the flight it was a quite a long walk to reach to the Port of entry. In flight, flight attended had given me a custom forms I already had that filled out. at Port of entry lady welcomed me and asked how long you are going to stay I told her that I'm immigrating and I would be staying for 3-4 days as I have interview scheduled with perspective employer. Then she asked me to follow red line towards immigration office. As soon as I entered officer called me and asked me from where you coming and how long it took to get immigration visa stamped. Then he asked for Canadian address. He warned me that there are cases where people apply for the green card and PR both at the same time. So He just wanted to make sure that I'm not misusing it. I told him that I won't because I waited for 2 years. This was finished in all about 25 minute, and then I went to baggage claim collected my bag from united counter because it was already +1 hour. After collecting bag I went to custom where I told lady that I'm immigrating she told me to follow again a red line to go to Immigration customs their they gave me a form to declare all my belongings. I filled out and signed it and headed toward exit. On Arrival side there is office for the Airport shuttle they charge $15 each way to drop you almost anywhere in town. They run every 30 mins. I boarded in shuttle and finally arrived at hotel around 3.30 PM. it was Sunday so I couldn't do anything. I have to wait until next day. On Monday first I went to SIN and then for the Health Card. these two locations are around hotel just 10 to 15 min walking distance. Hotel staff helped me finding office and they gave me map and directions to both these locations. On second day I went for the Bank (http://www.pcfinancial.ca/) this is zero dollar charge account. Bank location was far from hotel so I had to take a train to get there. But it was convenient and easy to find.

On 16th Feb I had flight in morning 7.45 AM. Hotel Scheduled pickup for me for 4.20 AM. I reach to airport at around 4.45 AM from the Airline counter I got the Boarding pass and they tagged my Luggage bag and gave me two forms. 1) Custom 2) (Port of entry)I-94. I passed custom and headed to immigration. There I gave my Form, Passport (With Expired visa) and new I-797.Officer told me that I have expired visa I told him I have valid approval from I-797. he was not sure how this works so he called another officer and another officer told him that if he didn't left the continent and he was in Canada for 2 days then automatic re validation should works(according to AVR rule on got website you can enter within 30 days not 2 days).Officer started validating my visa and somehow he was seeing some issue with it so he took me to the secondary validation office there another officer verified everything and asked me who is your employer and when you are going to get your visa stamped, I said next month. He created new I-94 for me one thing I notice is that he did not make stamp on any page of my passport but he stamped on I-94(usually they do it on both).and finally went towards boarding gate.

Calgary SIN office Address
Harry Hays Building, Suite 270
220 4th Avenue Southeast
Calgary, Alberta
http://www.serviceCanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/hr-display.cgi?rc=4802&ln=eng

Health Card office
246 250 - 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3H7, Canada
(403) 299-2373
http://www.health.alberta.ca

Find nearest location from http://www.pcfinancial.ca/

ALL THE BEST TO ALL !!!

Ooselo

Feb 18, 2011
Hi there!

I landed on last weekend at the Calgary Airport. The officer greeted us and I said “Hi, we are landing today”. Then, he asked me for me immigration paperwork (Confirmation of Permanent Residence - COPR) and passports. Then, he redirect us to the immigration offices behind the counters. At the office, another IO greeted us. She was always polite to us. She asked us if we have never had any sort of immigration issues. We answer “NO way”. She filled out the COPR forms. She asked how money I was bringing with me and I answered $500 USD, but in my bank account I have more than $14,000 CAD, then she put that amount in the form (the actual amount I mentioned). She never asked for any kind of proof. She then gave me directions on what to do, for example, get the SIN card, etc… I mentioned I don’t have an address yet in Canada and she gave me a form that I must fax/submit online as soon as I find a place. She also mentioned I have 180 days to let CIC know. She mentioned I can start working in Canada as soon as I get my SIN. Then the magic words “Welcome to Canada”. Bottom line, everything went very smoothly!

Good luck for those of you coming next!

raj567

Feb 20, 2011
Re: AINP - H1B Question

Hi all,
I am new to this thread, so please bear with my questions.

I applied to AINP-H1b visa category in Jan-2010. FedEx tracking number shows that my complete package was received and signed on Jan-26-2010 at Alberta office. I did not receive any communication from them yet. It's one complete year. I did not receive even a file/application number from AINP office.

My questions are:

1. Is this common not to receive atleast a file/application number from AINP for one full year? What is an average/typical time line to receive just file/application number from AINP?
(I see that all of you received your file number from AINP, but i did not received anything yet from them).

2. What's the step wise procedure, first receive the file/application number from AINP and second receive the nomination if they do not need any other documents from us and approve the application?

3. I was talking to someone who received PR thru AINP and he said that receiving file/application number from AINP is not necessary. Sometimes they may send the nomination directly. Is this correct?

4. I am planning to call them tomorrow, can you all help me in guiding.....what to ask....how to track my AINP app........?

Please help.
Thank you all.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF LOOKING TO MOVE ALBERTA IN CHEAP & BEST WAY, SEND ME PM

I was wondering if anybody under AINP H1B Program or Skilled worker program is moving to Calgary from NY-NJ area? We can travel together from New York to Montana (Almost 2200 miles) and get it done very cheaply. We will stay in Chicago for few hours to rest a bit, Minneapolis for few hours and Bismarck North Dakota for few hours and straight to Coutts, Alberta (Point of Entry). The whole travel will be fun and cheap (food, music and drive!!). Overall gas and tolls will be around 400 dollars where only 200 other one have to pay. I don't think any flight will be that cheaper that 200$ from NY to Calgary. It could be a very nice ride. If interested, let me know. Here is the detailed Maths:

Overall Gas and toll: 400$
If one person joins then only 200$ (including gas and toll)
If there is any couple then it will be only 125 each

Although I will prefer single, male who is long drive lover so we can exchange the driving seat and straight up the spine. Keep a little extra time so if needed can stay perhaps in Chicago or Minneapolis as needed. I don't want to keep it a rush journey because my way of driving is drive less but with full fresh mind.

The reason I am asking is that I was thinking to have at least 2 person in vehicle in this long drive. Below is the route I will be covering:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+York,+NY&daddr=Great+Falls,+MT+to:Calgary,+Alberta,+Canada&geocode=FXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFcvL1AIdOK9d-Sk7uIxljTdCUzGoRVmOsVbe1g%3BFYjiCgMd-p8z-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=44.024422,-92.636719&sspn=28.409979,56.513672&ie=UTF8&ll=45.95115,-94.130859&spn=27.506959,56.513672&z=4

Once we cross the Border, then you are your own way and I am my own. I will have to do more paperwork because of car import.

If you are located anywhere close to NY such as PA, DE, MD, VA, DC or Boston area, then we can organize route accordingly.
In my opinion, one time long journey to Calgary is better than first moving to Toronto or elsewhere and worrying about Provincial Nomination class etc or relocating further from Toronto to Calgary when your all US earned savings would be sucked up in living in Toronto and a low paying job will give a bank balance of 789.34$..

I also think that day by day this province requirement will get tighter because AINP didn't nominate 10,000 people from Alberta to fight for a pizza delivery job in Toronto. But again, it is just my opinion.

let me know if sounds justified.

rabzee

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi all,
I have few questions about landing in canada , if anyone can help me .
1. Proof of funds..for three people.....whats the best way to take (Cashier cheque, Bank statement, Cash).
2.Jewllery evaluation....I have some gold jewllery from my wedding but i dont have the receipts of them...how to write their value?
3.best internet connection and mobile service in edmonton for one month.

These are some question. thanks in adv.

VAtoCA

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I didn't realize there was a seperate forum for Landing experience. Here is my landing experience which I completed on Feb 17, 2011.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I completed my landing last Thursday via Niagara Rainbow Bridge. The whole process went really smooth and I was back in US by Friday night. As promised before below is my landing experience in detail however before that I would like to go through two question that I had before landing, and I'm sure many here have so let me go through that first.

1.Landing by rental vs own car:Let me say that before landing I went through 100's of posting about landing on this forum and many other and found that few people did got hard time on Canadian side about not allowing to drive the car until it is imported. To be on the safe side I rented a car from Buffalo airport (just $15/day, thanks to my company corporate number) but have I taken my own care that should have been fine too. Nobody asked me if I was driving my car or rental.

2. Landing on Alberta or other province for AINP.This is one big issue for many provinces nominee, epically for those who are doing the temporary landing. This was totally a none issue for me. In fact the word "province nominee" was not mentioned even once thought out my landing.

I drove from VA to Buffalo on Wednesday, stayed near buffalo airport and drove to Niagara on Thursday morning on my new rental car. Went to the Canadian side around 9:00 am. The officer at the gate asked me the purpose of my visit and I said I'm here to do landing. He said wonderful and asked my passport and gave me a yellow page and direct me to go inside. I parked my car, went to the custom and was approached by one officer there. He asked me my passport and COPR and said if I have any other documents. I said I've birth certificate; my degree, bank statement and he stop me by saying okay and didn't bother to see them. After that it took him about 10 mins to complete the paper work, asked me to sign the COPR and gave me the basic info about COPR. He asked me if I have address in Canada to mail my PR card, I gave him Alberta address. Earlier he had asked me where I was staying and I said at my friends place in Toronto. So he asked me if I have a friend in Toronto, why I don't want Toronto address to mail my PR (Dhuu, if I knew you'll ask this I would have given my friends address @ Toronto) But I thought for a second and said that my friend is looking to change his apartment and I was not sure if he'll still have the same address by the time my PR card arrives. He was fine by my answer. Then he asked me if I have goods to follow list and I gave him both the copy (B4A: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/b4a-05b.pdf). He stamped both and gave one to me. After that he asked if I was importing any vehicle and I said yes and it is on the goods to follow list. He said hang on and got another different form for my car (B4 Form: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf). Asked my car title (remember you need car title not registration) and filled the form looking at my car title. After that he did the same, stamped two papers and gave one to me. He also reminded (I think about 3 times) not to loose those papers else I'll have to pay tax on everything I'll bring later. I was out from there in about 30 mins on my way to SIN office. Got my SIN number in about 10 mins. After that went to RBC, open an account there and drove to Toronto. Meet my friend there, hang on downtown for some time and came to his place with some Molson.

So that is all. I'll still check this forum so if you have questions feel free to write me.

Good luck to all who are waiting.

monteiromarcosb

Star Member
Feb 12, 2009
rabzee said:
Hi all,
I have few questions about landing in canada , if anyone can help me .
1. Proof of funds..for three people.....whats the best way to take (Cashier cheque, Bank statement, Cash).
2.Jewllery evaluation....I have some gold jewllery from my wedding but i dont have the receipts of them...how to write their value?
3.best internet connection and mobile service in edmonton for one month.

These are some question. thanks in adv.
I took, $2,000 in cash, bank statements (a little over $10,000 ), my retirement account ($10,000), but the officer never asked me about any money and just wrote "N/A" on the forms.

for the jewelry, I think you can estimate the value and they will be okay.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
[/quote]

My advice.... don't do this during winter. We drove from Virginia to Calgary last November 2010. It took us 10 days, because of the winter storm. The experience could have been nice... if it was spring or summer.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:

My advice.... don't do this during winter. We drove from Virginia to Calgary last November 2010. It took us 10 days, because of the winter storm. The experience could have been nice... if it was spring or summer.

So what time do you think will be great? I am thinking for April. I mean I was also considering at least 3-4 days because 1 night stay in Chicago, 1 night stay in Bismarck North Dakota and then either Havre MT or Great Falls.

NY - Chicago 10-12 hours drive
Chicago - Bismarck ND 13-14 hours drive
Bismarck - Sweet Grass MT 10-13 hours drive
Sweet Grass MT - Calgary 2-3 hours (including Car import paperwork/immigration time)

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
jxyj01 said:
Hello Folks, Greetings to you all. I landed in Alberta on Feb 17. I drove from Missouri to Alberta. The driving was fun until I reached Great Falls, Montana. It stated snowing real bad, so I checked in nearest hotel Super6. I checked out of hotel at 11am to complete the final leg of my journey. I stopped at Shelby, which is about half an hour from border, to fill in gas and to book hotel in calgary on priceline. As I was nearing Shelby, the temperature started dropping. It dropped to single digits. I could feel the chill filling the gas tank. I got a deal on Priceline for $65 at Super8 for three days. The price was relatively cheap compared to what other people had mentioned on this forum. I left Shelby and started driving towards the border. My eyes became little moist with the thought of leaving US after 10 years. I was laid off form my previous job and a H1B transfer was filed that was approved in Dec till end of April, 2011. The endless wait for green card and extensions had taken a toll on me. On reaching the border, I showed passport to the officer. The officer looked at the visa and asked me if i am completing landing formalities today. I said yes and asked me what I am bringing with me. He game me a yellow slip and asked me to park the car and check inside. I went inside and gave passport at the immigration desk. The officer told me to wait for my name to be called. After 15 mins a young officer called my name and asked what documents I have. I gave him COPR, a printed mailing address in Alberta. He didn't take list of things that I was importing and told me to check with customs when I am done. He went inside and told me to wait so he can enter my data in the systems. He came out after few minutes and asked if anything has changed in the COPR and if all the info on COPR was accurate. I initialed and singed COPR. He went inside side and came out in few minutes to give me passport with stapled page of COPR on my passport and told me to go to customs. The lady at customs was very friendly. It took 45 mins to complete the documentation as I was importing my car. Once that was over, she told me if want to get my title cleared from US side today, I can go to US side or do that at later date. I drove back to US side and gave passport and title to the officer and told him that I do not intend to enter US. He told me to park my car and come inside. I met an old obnoxious lady inside. She looked at my old I-94 and did not bother to look at my new H1B approval. She was kind of wide eyed that I overstayed my stay. I told her about the approval. She looked at systems and said everything is fine. She handed me stamped car title and a US entry refusal paper that I was supposed to give to the Canadian side. She waved me as I left US. I went back to Canadian side, perplexed why I was handed that that refusal paper, since I had a valid status in US. I showed my passport and paper to the officer on the Canadian side. Without looking at passport or paper, he asked me to park my car and come inside. I went inside, the lady who did my customs took that piece of paper and said "oh they gave you that paper". She asked me if my title was stamped and told that I can go now. I was still confused why US side gave me that sheet. Later I learnt that was the standard procedure on the US side. I reached Calgary around 8:30pm. Checked in hotel for next three days. Next day I went to Service Canada for SIN card and later to Alberta Health for health Card. I opened my bank account. It was very very cold. Next day I called Chalocanda. His place was close to my hotel. He came to meet me. It was nice to meet someone in person from this forum. He took me to Windmobile to get me cell phone. It was good to know someone in Calgary. On his advise, I opened bank account at TD bank. The lady was very friendly. I opened an account in US dollars. I looked for apartments for next two days. There are many rental choices in Calgary. I did celebrate Chalocanada's daugther's first b'day on Sunday evening. On Tuesday, I checked out of hotel and drove to my sister's place, who lives about one and half hour north of Edmonton. I spent a week with her. It was very cold throughout. The temperature dropping to minus 8 F. Never experienced that cold. I came back to Calgary day before yesterday. Rented a two bed apartment for 900. One the positive note, there is a boom in midwest Canada. Today the temperature was 10 F and it looked like summer :). I am not going to bring my family for next 3-4 months. It is little lonely, but slowly I am starting a new life. I wish you guys good luck and feel free to contact me.

Ell.Bee

Jan 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb - 2009
Doc's Request.
Nov - 2009