+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

pkv

Nov 6, 2010
All,
I applied thru Alberta PNP and have canadian Visa in my passport.
I've to complete landing by February 2011, But I'm not ready to move permanently to Canada yet. I just want to complete landing process and come back to USA. I've some questions regarding process, hopefully I can get some answers from your experiences.

1. Do I've to go to Alberta State only? If No, and I go to a different province, do they give some temporary travel permit instead of PR card(I read about it but I'm not clear)? Any limitations/cons of this permit?

2. Do I've to have an address in Canada to give to customs/immigration? If yes, does the address have to be in Alberta State?

3. Do I have to stay in Canada for any formalities like getting PR card, health card, SSN card etc?? Or Can I come back in a day or 2?

4. I want to bring money back with me when I come back. what are the options?

5. Does entire family(a wife and Daughter besides me) have to go for landing? Is there option allowing me to complete landing process and take family there when I move there later?

Would appreciate you responses and experience sharing..

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ell.Bee said:
Hi,

I am starting this thread for the convinience of those who are preparing for the landing shortly. Please follow this thread for landing related.

Thanks,
L.B
Ell.bee:

Good to hear your landing experience but did they ask your explicitly about funds when they came to know that you are a provincial nominee?

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Direct flights to Edmonton

Denver (DEN) .
Fargo (FAR) .
Grand Junction (GJT) .
Las Vegas (LAS) .
Los Angeles (LAX) .
Minneapolis (MSP) .
Phoenix (PHX) .
Seattle (SEA) .
San Francisco (SFO) .
Salt Lake City (SLC) .

Other international flights to Calgary

Amsterdam (AMS) .
Frankfurt (FRA)
Munich (MUC) .
Glasgow, Scotland (GLA) .
Cancun (CUN) .
London, England (LCY) .

Direct flights to Calgary from....

Baltimore (BWI) .
Denver (DEN) .
Dallas (DFW) .
Houston (HOU) .
Washington DC (IAD) .
New York City (JFK) .
Las Vegas (LAS) .
Los Angeles (LAX) .
Kansas City (MCI) .
Chicago (MDW) .
Milwaukee (MKE) .
Minneapolis (MSP) .
Portland (PDX) .
Phoenix (PHX) .
Palm Springs (PSP) .
Seattle (SEA) .
San Francisco (SFO) .
Branson (SGF) .
Salt Lake City (SLC) .

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kv_ajay said:
I got two question for the folks who moved earlier on work permit..I am planning to move there on work permit..

1) Do i need to pay duties (Import duties) on my car when I transferring on work permit ? (car is Japanese made and not US manufactured)
2) Do i need to pay for mattress fumigation charges ? (I am moving from NYC)..is mattress fumigation mandatory ?

Please let me know asap..

Thanks guys,
When you are shopping in the United States, it is important to remember that certain goods are prohibited or restricted. This means that you are not allowed to bring these goods back in to Canada, or may only bring them in under compliance with strict rules and regulations.

Before planning your cross border shopping trip, we suggest you review this list to ensure you do not encounter any issues when leaving or returning to Canada.

1. Goods subject to import control

The Canadian government places import controls on items such as clothing, handbags and textiles. These controls are outlined in the Export and Import Permits Act. Depending on the value, quantity or type of goods you intend to import, you may need an import permit even if you qualify for a personal exemption.

For more information, call Border Information Services (BIS) at:

Toll-free in Canada: 1-800-461-9999
Outside Canada: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply)

Or contact Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada:

Export and Import Controls Bureau
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Tower C, 4th Floor
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0G2

2. Used or Second Hand Mattress.

Used or second-hand mattressesYou are not allowed import used or second-hand mattresses into Canada unless you have a certificate verifying the mattresses have been cleaned and fumigated in the country of export. A letter or other document that demonstrates this requirement has been met is acceptable if it is signed by a person qualified in cleaning and fumigating.

Fire Arms:

The following requirements apply to the importation of firearms and weapons:

•you must be at least 18 years of age;
•you can import non-restricted and restricted firearms provided all documentation and other requirements are met; and
•generally, you may not import prohibited firearms or any type of prohibited weapons or devices, including silencers, replica firearms, switchblades, pepper spray and other weapons.
You are required to declare all weapons and firearms at the CBSA port of entry when you return to Canada. If not, you could face prosecution and the goods may be seized.

Before you attempt to import a firearm or weapon or to obtain an application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms (Form CAFC 679), we suggest you call BIS at one of the telephone numbers listed later in this section or contact the Canada Firearms Centre for more information:

Canada Firearms Centre
Telephone: 1-800-731-4000 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)
Web site: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/

Explosive Fireworks and Ammunation:

Written authorization and permits are required to bring explosives, fireworks and certain types of ammunition into Canada. For more information, contact Natural Resources Canada:

Explosives Regulatory Division
Natural Resources Canada
1431 Merivale Road
Ottawa ON K1A 0G1

Telephone: 613-948-5200
Web site: http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/com/index-eng.php

Currency and Monetary Instruments:

If you are importing or exporting monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 (or the equivalent in a foreign currency) to or from Canada, whether in cash or other instruments, you must report this to the CBSA when you arrive or before you leave. For more information, we suggest you read the publication called Crossing the Border with $10,000 or More?, available from the Canada Border Services Agency under “Publications and forms.”

Prohibited Goods:
You are not allowed to import prohibited goods such as obscene materials, hate propaganda and child *censored word*ography into Canada.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some information on import duties can be found here.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-54.011/

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

How to import a used car.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2003/09/15/feature-how-to-import-a-used-car.htm

Moving companies

http://www.movecars.com/toc/find/

www.movecars.com/

www.shipmyvehicle.com/Canada_MexicoVehicleShipping.aspx

www.autorail.com/

canadatryingguy

Star Member
Dec 19, 2009
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
AOR 1 - 24-11-2016 & AOR 2 - 19-12-2016
File Transfer...
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-09-2016
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
14-05-2017
Hello all:

I am planning to land in Alberta soon (most likely in Jan 2011). The issue, i am facing, is that i do not know anyone in Canada. When i will land and immigration officer will ask me for the address where i need my PR card to be sent. What should i tell?

Any direction will be very helpful.

Thanks

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadatryingguy said:
Hello all:

I am planning to land in Alberta soon (most likely in Jan 2011). The issue, i am facing, is that i do not know anyone in Canada. When i will land and immigration officer will ask me for the address where i need my PR card to be sent. What should i tell?

Thanks
LANDING WORRIES

Worry about the landing plan. Try to do ASAP. Presently, still weather is kind of clear and in January when mostly flights are canceled or Bus and train routes are canceled, I don't think it is a good idea to do landing in January. Please keep in mind following things:

-If you will take landing as big assignment that I will land, apply for SIN, apply for health card, apply for bank account and apply for qualification assesment altogether in one round, Chances are that you are jeopardizing your landing or delaying your landing for end time when it will cost you more. Just break the whole thing and limit yourself to landing and/or SIN application.
-Landing will take less than 24 hours by plane (including coming back to US using AVR and SIN application)
-Landing will take less than 72 hours by Train or Bus (including coming back to US using AVR and SIN application)

-Try to finish the landing ASAP. Anyone can use his/her Saturday/Sunday and finish this assignment.

C

cchabert

canadatryingguy said:
Hello all:

Thanks
If you don't have an address the immigration officer will gave you a form that you'll fill when you have your address, then you'll mail it to CIC, this if you are planing to land to stay there if you're landing just to...like many on these forum then you may need plan B.

Also I land on January 7 the flight was awsome

Peace!

pkv

Nov 6, 2010
All,
I plan to move to Alberta permanently sometime in July-August, But planning to complete my landing process in couple of weeks(Visa expires end of Jan).

Please advise how are people managing who do not have any address in Alberta? I don't know anyone in Alberta.

Manny

Dec 31, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 30, 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 25, 2009
Nomination.....
Dec 07, 2009 CIC App. Filed.: Mar 15, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Request
Jul 06, 2010
Med's Done....
Jul 15, 2010 File transferred: Nov 10, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 15, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2010
LANDED..........
Apr 07, 2011
I plan to move to Alberta in Summer 2011 but have to do landing in April. I wish to go to Vancouver because that is closer for me on West coast. I wish to know what are the downsides of landing in Vancouver (on a PR based on AINP).
a. Am I jeopardizing anything or is it that they'd tell me to apply for PR card only when I land in Alberta?
b. I have an address to provide in Alberta - so can I give that in Vancouver and complete the process of getting SIN and Healthcard as well in Vancouver?
c. Would they issue healthcard for Alberta address in Vancouver?

Thanks!

rabzee

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi seniors,

Before that i want to make it clear that we will be moving to Alberta soon but right now we cannot move there due to some job and personal reasons.we have to stay in US for sometime ,we can only move there in next year or so.

We need some serious help from you guyz please....reply , below are my following questions.

1. If we go to Edmonton by air and do our landing(have to reach there before 26 march, 2011 & have to fly b'coz we r in LA , So its very far to drive), give them an Edmonton address for PR and do all the necessary stuff like PR,SIN, bank account etc and comeback to US, and then when they receive it , they send that to us in USA, is it OK? i mean we will have the exit stamp on our passport when we will leave Canada,

1A. Will it make any difference when we will comeback to Canada?????

1B. IF he dose not get PR in mail or our pictures are rejected(god forbidden) then what are our options? we cannot fly back????I mean will they ask us that how we left without our PR.

2. Same scenario like 1 , that we land in Edmonton, apply for everything and my husband comes back to US but i stay there with my baby and get the PR( i read , it takes 30 days to come) and then come back to US.

3. IF i stay back in Canada but live in Toronto, and when my husband moves to Alberta, i'll also move there from Toronto.Will i'll be ask questions about living in Toronto and not in Alberta when we apply for citizenship?

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rabzee said:
Hi seniors,

Before that i want to make it clear that we will be moving to Alberta soon but right now we cannot move there due to some job and personal reasons.we have to stay in US for sometime ,we can only move there in next year or so.

We need some serious help from you guyz please....reply , below are my following questions.

1. If we go to Edmonton by air and do our landing(have to reach there before 26 march, 2011 & have to fly b'coz we r in LA , So its very far to drive), give them an Edmonton address for PR and do all the necessary stuff like PR,SIN, bank account etc and comeback to US, and then when they receive it , they send that to us in USA, is it OK? i mean we will have the exit stamp on our passport when we will leave Canada,

1A. Will it make any difference when we will comeback to Canada?????

1B. IF he dose not get PR in mail or our pictures are rejected(god forbidden) then what are our options? we cannot fly back????I mean will they ask us that how we left without our PR.

2. Same scenario like 1 , that we land in Edmonton, apply for everything and my husband comes back to US but i stay there with my baby and get the PR( i read , it takes 30 days to come) and then come back to US.

3. IF i stay back in Canada but live in Toronto, and when my husband moves to Alberta, i'll also move there from Toronto.Will i'll be ask questions about living in Toronto and not in Alberta when we apply for citizenship?
1A. There is no exit stam from Canada. There will be Entry stamp to the US. That will not matter in your PR card processing.

1B. Make sure your pictures are good in the first place.. Use the same picture that you had sent to Buffalo for Immigrant Visa. In the event they return the application for photos, you can ask your friends in Edmonton to send the application again after you send them the new pictures.

While entering Canada from an US border post, by "Road", you do not need PR Card. The COPR is enough.

You will need the PR Card or a PRTD "only" while entering Canada thru an Airport. The transporters/airlines cannot accommodate you without the same

2. You can stay back in Canada till PR comes and it should be fine. The 30 days is not guaranteed it can take longer so plan accordingly.

3. If you stay in Toronto for a short time it should not matter if you intent is to finally move to Alberta

The link has details on how to apply for PR card.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#step3

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do I need a permanent resident card if I'm returning to Canada by car?

No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:

•a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
•the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
•a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
•a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
•a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.

The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

rabzee

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
Thank you so much....

AlbertaGovernor said:
1A. There is no exit stam from Canada. There will be Entry stamp to the US. That will not matter in your PR card processing.

1B. Make sure your pictures are good in the first place.. Use the same picture that you had sent to Buffalo for Immigrant Visa. In the event they return the application for photos, you can ask your friends in Edmonton to send the application again after you send them the new pictures.

While entering Canada from an US border post, by "Road", you do not need PR Card. The COPR is enough.

You will need the PR Card or a PRTD "only" while entering Canada thru an Airport. The transporters/airlines cannot accommodate you without the same

2. You can stay back in Canada till PR comes and it should be fine. The 30 days is not guaranteed it can take longer so plan accordingly.

3. If you stay in Toronto for a short time it should not matter if you intent is to finally move to Alberta

The link has details on how to apply for PR card.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#step3