+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After 36 months: I go for Mandamus! Who else here has hired a lawyer?

Dasha

Mar 1, 2014
JoeYYC said:
If you qualify, most importantly, if you have been here 3 years out of the last 5, and so on, then apply right away. You don't have time to waste before the law changes, then you have to wait for an extra 1 year or may be 2.
Thanks for replying. Reassuring to know!

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi all,
Did anyone decide to hire a lawyer and works towards Mandamus after this successful experience of walitys? If yes, please share your experience so far. I contacted the lawyer and he recommended waiting till I complete 3 yrs by next month then file Mandamus. Also, I was wondering if it is a good idea to try to contact the CIC local office even if the file is currently at St. Claire? Last question: will the new laws be applicable to our old files? PLEASE share your thoughts and info. THANKS!!!

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
egyo said:
Hi all,
Did anyone decide to hire a lawyer and works towards Mandamus after this successful experience of walitys? If yes, please share your experience so far. I contacted the lawyer and he recommended waiting till I complete 3 yrs by next month then file Mandamus. Also, I was wondering if it is a good idea to try to contact the CIC local office even if the file is currently at St. Claire? Last question: will the new laws be applicable to our old files? PLEASE share your thoughts and info. THANKS!!!
I went for mandamus last month. I did not wait until 36 months. my lawyer is arguing on the point that when I applied for the citizenship, the timeline was only 19 months. my waiting time was far more than that. the lawyer only spent 10 minutes on the consultation, then his assistant was helping me prepare the file. it was done in less than 2 hours. I paid the fees right away. My file was dropped to federal court the next day. within 2 weeks, I received a reply from department of justice stating that my citizenship application was approved. after another week, I received the oath invitation. I took the oath two weeks later. from consultation with lawyer to oath was less than 5 week.

samjohns22

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
ZYXWVU98 said:
I went for mandamus last month. I did not wait until 36 months. my lawyer is arguing on the point that when I applied for the citizenship, the timeline was only 19 months. my waiting time was far more than that. the lawyer only spent 10 minutes on the consultation, then his assistant was helping me prepare the file. it was done in less than 2 hours. I paid the fees right away. My file was dropped to federal court the next day. within 2 weeks, I received a reply from department of justice stating that my citizenship application was approved. after another week, I received the oath invitation. I took the oath two weeks later. from consultation with lawyer to oath was less than 5 week.
How much did you pay the lawyer

love bird 43

Aug 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZYXWVU98 said:
could you plz sent me a lawers contect number aswell plz,

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. This is really encouraging! I inboxed you to ask about your lawyer info and the cost. Also, would you mind sharing your timeline and which CIC office were you in? Thanks!!

ZYXWVU98 said:

orzpower

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Guys, I'm kind of new to this forum. The following is my timeline:

- We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on July 8, 2011.
- We started processing your application on February 27, 2012.
- Submitted RQ in Jan 2013 (pre-test RQ)
- We sent you a notice on January 24, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM.
- passed the test 20/20 @ St. Claire, the officer told me he will recommend me to the CJ and oath invitation will be mailed to me within 6 months.
- Called CIC 8/4, no update at all after the test.

It's been 37 months. Is it a good idea to file the Writ of Mandamus? Could someone recommend me a good lawyer in GTA? Thank you so much for your help!

cit_izen

Star Member
Feb 21, 2014
HI, I need some suggestion, if Mandamus is even relevant in my case or not!

Its been 26 months since I applied and I haven't been scheduled for a test!

I called CIC in April and they sent a note to citizenship officer who said that my file is in line and that it is a routine application. They said they will give me a test date by July end/August 2014
They also said my internal background check has expored though that they can do in 2 days.

When I called today, CIC call center said that they will send another letter but cant do anything else...

Not sure what can I do at this point? Should I contact the local MP? This is really frustrating, more so because CIC people don't listen and give different information each time!!

Please suggest
My timeline is as follows:
June 18 2012 - applied for citizenship
June 22 2012 - Rcd application for citizenship
June 28 2012 - Rcd the discover Canada book
Jan 8 2013 - Started Processing
July 5 2013 - Reach surrey office
September 2013 - Started processing in Surrey office

md71f

Aug 6, 2014
cit_izen said:
HI, I need some suggestion, if Mandamus is even relevant in my case or not!

Its been 26 months since I applied and I haven't been scheduled for a test!

I called CIC in April and they sent a note to citizenship officer who said that my file is in line and that it is a routine application. They said they will give me a test date by July end/August 2014
They also said my internal background check has expored though that they can do in 2 days.

When I called today, CIC call center said that they will send another letter but cant do anything else...

Not sure what can I do at this point? Should I contact the local MP? This is really frustrating, more so because CIC people don't listen and give different information each time!!

Please suggest
My timeline is as follows:
June 18 2012 - applied for citizenship
June 22 2012 - Rcd application for citizenship
June 28 2012 - Rcd the discover Canada book
Jan 8 2013 - Started Processing
July 5 2013 - Reach surrey office
September 2013 - Started processing in Surrey office
It's been 35 months since I appled and I haven't been scheduled for a test too... And call centre agents keep telling me random stories, like "you're about to be scheduled" and "don't call us till 36 months mark passed".
MP can't do anything, so don't hold your breath on it.

cit_izen

Star Member
Feb 21, 2014
thanks for the response MD17. Have you considered Mandamus? I am thinking about it. Is yours a "non-routine"? Did call center send a second letter for you?

jimmy1829

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
md71f said:
It's been 35 months since I appled and I haven't been scheduled for a test too... And call centre agents keep telling me random stories, like "you're about to be scheduled" and "don't call us till 36 months mark passed".
MP can't do anything, so don't hold your breath on it.
Don't. I have similar timeline, applied July 2011 and got test and RQ July 2012, been waiting since.

Just called CIC, and was told my file has been reviewed and no issue has been identified. Will be in the final stage soon.

Give it some time, it will come soon.

cit_izen

Star Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thank you for the response Jimmy. However, in your case at least you have had your test, but for me there has been no movement. Would you mind letting me know which city you applied from?

jimmy1829

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
cit_izen said:
Thank you for the response Jimmy. However, in your case at least you have had your test, but for me there has been no movement. Would you mind letting me know which city you applied from?
sorry to hear that. My local office is St. Clair. known to be the worst of all.