PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Wife's PR status renewal

Hi

metaopsis said:
Hi Everyone!

I am writing on behalf of my wife.

My wife holds a PR card which will expire next month. We are now here in Canada to renew her PR. Prior to our marriage, my wife was religiously coming to Canada pay her taxes until the time she sets up her own company in 2008, she didn't visit Canada.

To be honest, my wife didn't have any plans to renew her PR card because marrying was not part of her plan until we got married. I have known her for more than 15 years already! I didn't even know that she is a PR of Canada until she told me. We discussed the matter thoroughly about her PR status and we came into consensus that we will move to Canada and start our new life here, sell our assets and put up our own business here.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that we are here now and just arrived yesterday to renew her PR card. Upon arrival, we were asked by the immigration officer to go to the second screening and there my wife was told that she will lose her PR card which will expire next month.

What shall we do? Is her busyness in her because could be an excuse for not religiously coming to Canada as stated in the rules and regulation? Is the Canadian government really that strict and legalistic that one has to follow to the letter the R&R in having a Canadian PR card.

We plan to go to the immigration tomorrow to renew her PR card. Will she have a chance to renew her PR card? I told her that we will be honest. The reason why she wants to renew her PR card is to start our life together here in Canada. Anyway, I told her that if it's not renewed, so be it. maybe GOD has another plan for us.

I will appreciate feedback from the other members of this forum.

Cheers!
1. It would appear that you and your wife were sent to Immigration secondary on entry. It would appear that she hasn't resided in Canada for 2 years in the past 5, so she was most likely reported as not meeting her PR status requirements.
2. Was she admitted for 30 days to appeal the report?
3. I am afraid that if she didn't meet her residency requirements and that it is unlikely that having a business overseas is going to carry very much weight.

djlin

May 13, 2011
benk said:
hi djlin,

Are you already back in Canada? Please do tell us of your experience coming back to Canada.
Hi everyone:

I'm back from YVR with my family in a party of four. When we went through Canadian customs in YVR, there are two options: you can go through a immigration officer or a scanning machine. We surely chose the machine. Just scan your PR card and the declaration form. The machine will send you back a copy of the declaration form. Then approach an officer who will just check your photos and ask no further questions. Then you're in.

I was honest and did declare on the form that I'm away for more than 3 years. No problems at all. I guess they are more concerned about the value of goods you brought in than the date you left.

So, according to my experience ,just walk in through YVR as long as your PR card doesn't expire. But choose the machine.

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
Congrats djlin and welcome back to Canada! I didn't know that there is a machine option. Last time I went to YVR, all people went through the officers. Wow, that is nice if they have machines. So, are you staying in Canada for good? Do you think all airports in Canada have those machines?

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
Hi djlin,

I have a question -- how did you find the scanning machine for entry (instead of going through immigration officer)? Are there signs to the scanning machines upon arrival into the immigration hall? So, a PR card and the declaration form are all that are needed to enter Canada at YVR?

djlin

May 13, 2011
benk said:
Hi djlin,

I have a question -- how did you find the scanning machine for entry (instead of going through immigration officer)? Are there signs to the scanning machines upon arrival into the immigration hall? So, a PR card and the declaration form are all that are needed to enter Canada at YVR?
I don't know if Toronto airport has the machine option. They should have cause it's also a major airport.. Well, when you approach the YVR custom, there are two signs: 1. Visitor to Canada 2.Canadian residents . After you choose Canadian residents, there'll be a standing sign pointing either officer or machine. You can't miss it. Yes, a PR card , the declaration form and your native passport are all that are needed to enter through YVR. Unless you declare a firearm . HA! HA!

PRSeeker2011

Aug 3, 2011
Excuse me for my silliness as I am new to this forum and having difficulty posting my questions. how do I create a new thread ? I tried creating a "new topic" under this category but when I submit, it doesnt let me do that.....any pointers ??

K

KKE

Dear djlin,

Thanks for sharing with us ur expierence, We are on the same boat. Reading your last topic I wondering about ENTRY STAMP, will stamp appear on passport? I am concerned about future extension of PR card, when you will have to show them last entry to BC.

djlin

May 13, 2011
KKE said:
Dear djlin,

Thanks for sharing with us ur expierence, We are on the same boat. Reading your last topic I wondering about ENTRY STAMP, will stamp appear on passport? I am concerned about future extension of PR card, when you will have to show them last entry to BC.
No,there will be no stamps on your passport. I was much surprised also when they let us in without stamping. Well, the machine will have your record of entry when you scan the PR card. So, why bother stamping the passport? The officer checked our passports just for photo identification. That's all.

K

KKE

Dear djlin,

How are you going to convince immigration officer when time will come to extend your PR? Will you show them stamp of transit country or you will mention that you passed thru machine at YVR and will present airticket as well. As i know original of declaration form should be given to airport officer as well. Could you please share with your thoughts? It is very important for me since I am going to repeat your expierence. Thanks.

djlin

May 13, 2011
Hi KKE:
I will stay in Canada for more than two years before I apply for my new PR . The IO will surely have my records of entry on hand because every time I entered Canada, I scanned my PR card. What they don't have is the date I left CA, which can be confirmed by the entry stamp of another country on my passport. By the stamps, they can count the days you're away.

PRSeeker2011

Aug 3, 2011
what about the following djlin ? please do share your experience...

As i know original of declaration form should be given to airport officer as well. Could you please share with your thoughts?

djlin

May 13, 2011
Yes, the original declaration form will be collected by the scanning machine. You will receive a copy of the form from the machine, which will then be given to the IOs when leaving the custom with your luggage. They usually don't check the dates you declared leaving CA on the copy.

abby89

Jan 4, 2018
Hello,
When I reached Canada, I used the scanning machine to print the declaration form. I got a copy but then I cannot remember where I left it. Do we need to keep the copy with us or it is usually given to the officers at the airport? One border officer just signed on my form and I do not recollect what I did with it.. I am afraid I have misplaced it. Will I need it later? I am on TRV.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
When I reached Canada, I used the scanning machine to print the declaration form. I got a copy but then I cannot remember where I left it. Do we need to keep the copy with us or it is usually given to the officers at the airport? One border officer just signed on my form and I do not recollect what I did with it.. I am afraid I have misplaced it. Will I need it later? I am on TRV.
It's given to officers at the airport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Yes it is not like some countries that require you to show a certain piece of paper when you exit. Just a declaration card.