+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

afraid of PR status being revoked. Please help

djlin

May 13, 2011
Hi all : I landed in Feb. 2008, stayed a week ,then left Canada for more than 3 years . Because my PR card will expire in Mar.2013 ,I plan to come back to Canada in July, stay for more than 2 years and renew my card. But I'm afraid of the following scenarios:
1) Visa officer at the airport may report me and revoke my PR status because I'm absent for more than 3 years.
2) I can't renew my card in the future .Because though I lived more than 2 years before application, I'm still absent for 3 years in ANY 5 year period.
Can anyone help me? Many many thanks.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heres my question to you, what if the visa officer lets you in, you stay her for one week and then disappear for another 3 years. Fast track three years from today and you'll ask the same bloody question in this forum. Moral of the story, if you have decided to make Canada your home make sure you stay here and don't swing around like a pendulum

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The immigration officer at the airport cannot revoke your PR card. However the officer can report you for failing to meet residency requirements. If you are reported, you will have to appear before a judge and try to convince him/her why you should be able to keep your PR status.

djlin

May 13, 2011
I think newtone misinterpret my intention. Despite my absence, I really want to stay in CA permenantly. I just fear that VO may give me a hard time and pick on me. I believe lots of people in this forum have similar problems. So, please mind your lanuage . Thanks.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Heres my question to you, what if the visa officer lets you in, you stay her for one week and then disappear for another 3 years. Fast track three years from today and you'll ask the same bloody question in this forum. Moral of the story, if you have decided to make Canada your home make sure you stay here and don't swing around like a pendulum
Life is not that straight forward. Even Canadian citiziens live in other countries.

Reactions: cadgijoe

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
djlin said:
I think newtone misinterpret my intention. Despite my absence, I really want to stay in CA permenantly. I just fear that VO may give me a hard time and pick on me. I believe lots of people in this forum have similar problems. So, please mind your lanuage . Thanks.
So if you really want to stay in Canada permanently then make sure you fulfill the conditions of your PR, I personally feel immigration laws in this country are really draconian and need to be improvised so that people don't abuse the system

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alabaman said:
Life is not that straight forward. Even Canadian citiziens live in other countries.
And so whats your point? Canadian citizens are living in other countries and can come and go freely in and out of Canada whenever they want. They don't have any conditions saying they need to stay in Canada for 1095 days

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
And so whats your point? Canadian citizens are living in other countries and can come and go freely in and out of Canada whenever they want. They don't have any conditions saying they need to stay in Canada for 1095 days
My point is situations change. It takes approximately 2 years from time of application to time you have PR in hand. Do you know what could have happened in those 2 years?? ...Health, Economy, Family, Government etc... that can prevent someone from making a move?? Things don't work for everybody the same way.

Now I am not saying it is right to have a Canadian PR and purposely stay out of the country. What I am saying is don't criticize another unless you know their complete story. You never know.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
djlin said:
Hi all : I landed in Feb. 2008, stayed a week ,then left Canada for more than 3 years . Because my PR card will expire in Mar.2013 ,I plan to come back to Canada in July, stay for more than 2 years and renew my card. But I'm afraid of the following scenarios:
1) Visa officer at the airport may report me and revoke my PR status because I'm absent for more than 3 years.
2) I can't renew my card in the future .Because though I lived more than 2 years before application, I'm still absent for 3 years in ANY 5 year period.
Just come back in July as you planned.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alabaman said:
My point is situations change. It takes approximately 2 years from time of application to time you have PR in hand. Do you know what could have happened in those 2 years?? ...Health, Economy, Family, Government etc... that can prevent someone from making a move?? Things don't work for everybody the same way.

Now I am not saying it is right to have a Canadian PR and purposely stay out of the country. What I am saying is don't criticize another unless you know their complete story. You never know.
They haven't said their complete story so how can you assume this person is genuine or someone who is milking the system. You know just as much as I do about this person. Besides when someone applies for immigration it takes over 2 to 3 years to get the PR, one would imagine you are somewhat serious about making Canada your home.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
djlin said:
1) Yes, they may report you and you would have to appeal to keep your PR.

2) If you stay for 2 years or more before you try to renew your card you are ok because immigration rules only allow them to look at the 5 year period immediately before they examine if you meet the residency requirement or not. For a PR card renewal, that would be the date they receive your renewal application.

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
hi djlin,

Are you already back in Canada? Please do tell us of your experience coming back to Canada.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
newtone said:
So if you really want to stay in Canada permanently then make sure you fulfill the conditions of your PR, I personally feel immigration laws in this country are really draconian and need to be improvised so that people don't abuse the system
Newtone, I am guessing you meant to say that Canada's immigration laws need to be stiffened (not improvised) because they are the opposite of Draconian.

It is true that neither you nor ALabaman know the poster's entire story, so neither of you should be jumping to conclusions. But if a conclusion must be reached prematurely (because we all have day jobs and not enough time to be perfect researchers), far better to make a positive rather than negative conclusion about a poster, no?

metaopsis

Jul 27, 2011
Wife's PR status renewal

Hi Everyone!

I am writing on behalf of my wife.

My wife holds a PR card which will expire next month. We are now here in Canada to renew her PR. Prior to our marriage, my wife was religiously coming to Canada pay her taxes until the time she sets up her own company in 2008, she didn't visit Canada.

To be honest, my wife didn't have any plans to renew her PR card because marrying was not part of her plan until we got married. I have known her for more than 15 years already! I didn't even know that she is a PR of Canada until she told me. We discussed the matter thoroughly about her PR status and we came into consensus that we will move to Canada and start our new life here, sell our assets and put up our own business here.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that we are here now and just arrived yesterday to renew her PR card. Upon arrival, we were asked by the immigration officer to go to the second screening and there my wife was told that she will lose her PR card which will expire next month.

What shall we do? Is her busyness in her because could be an excuse for not religiously coming to Canada as stated in the rules and regulation? Is the Canadian government really that strict and legalistic that one has to follow to the letter the R&R in having a Canadian PR card.

We plan to go to the immigration tomorrow to renew her PR card. Will she have a chance to renew her PR card? I told her that we will be honest. The reason why she wants to renew her PR card is to start our life together here in Canada. Anyway, I told her that if it's not renewed, so be it. maybe GOD has another plan for us.

I will appreciate feedback from the other members of this forum.

Cheers!