+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Additional family information": Clearing up the mass confusion

Elasticman

Jul 7, 2009
I have read many posts on this and it seems there is still a lot of confusion going on.

The 3999 Immigrant's guide states:

Persons who should be included in the application
If you are being sponsored as a member of the family class, your spouse or common-law partner (except
where your spouse or common-law partner is the sponsor
) must be included in your application as a family
member. You must also include all your dependent children from your current and previous relationships,
whether they will be going with you to Canada (accompanying family members) or not (non-accompanying
family members).

It seems quite clear from this paragraph that family members means only:
> any spouse or common-law partner who is not your sponsor
> any dependent children

And so brothers, sisters and parents are not to be included.

However, the paragraph that follows creates the confusion:

All your family members, whether accompanying you or not, must be declared on your application and be
examined. If family members are not examined, it is generally not possible to sponsor them at a later date.
This includes children in the custody of a former spouse or common-law partner.

However, the way I understand this is that the first paragraph is the most defining.So this second paragraph is only referring to dependent children or a spouse/partner who are accompanying or not, and does not refer to brothers, sisters or parents. So if the family members are not part of the application, they don't need to be mentioned at all, period. Does this make sense?

On page 15, I found a confirmation of this:

Details of family members
Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens
), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application.
If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper
with the same information provided in the same order.

So based on this, all references to the words "family members" for any form in application only refer to dependents and non-Canadian or non-permanent resident spouses/partners. In other words, if you don't have dependent children and your spouse or partner is a Canadian or permanent resident, you don't need to fill out the "IMM5406E Additional family information" form.

I was unable to get through to the CIC phone line to confirm this, so I can't say I am 100% correct on this, but it would seem to make sense. Does anyone have any tangible evidence to disprove what I am saying here?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=Elasticman link=topic=21617.msg109972#msg109972 date=1246996742]
I have read many posts on this and it seems there is still a lot of confusion going on.

The 3999 Immigrant's guide states:

Persons who should be included in the application
If you are being sponsored as a member of the family class, your spouse or common-law partner (except
where your spouse or common-law partner is the sponsor
) must be included in your application as a family
member. You must also include all your dependent children from your current and previous relationships,
whether they will be going with you to Canada (accompanying family members) or not (non-accompanying
family members).

It seems quite clear from this paragraph that family members means only:
> any spouse or common-law partner who is not your sponsor
> any dependent children

And so brothers, sisters and parents are not to be included.

However, the paragraph that follows creates the confusion:

All your family members, whether accompanying you or not, must be declared on your application and be
examined. If family members are not examined, it is generally not possible to sponsor them at a later date.
This includes children in the custody of a former spouse or common-law partner.

However, the way I understand this is that the first paragraph is the most defining.So this second paragraph is only referring to dependent children or a spouse/partner who are accompanying or not, and does not refer to brothers, sisters or parents. So if the family members are not part of the application, they don't need to be mentioned at all, period. Does this make sense?

On page 15, I found a confirmation of this:

Details of family members
Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens
), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application.
If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper
with the same information provided in the same order.

So based on this, all references to the words "family members" for any form in application only refer to dependents and non-Canadian or non-permanent resident spouses/partners. In other words, if you don't have dependent children and your spouse or partner is a Canadian or permanent resident, you don't need to fill out the "IMM5406E Additional family information" form.

I was unable to get through to the CIC phone line to confirm this, so I can't say I am 100% correct on this, but it would seem to make sense. Does anyone have any tangible evidence to disprove what I am saying here?

[/quote]

Wrong, the applicant has to complete it to show his/her parents and siblings.

PMM

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Elasticman said:
... In other words, if you don't have dependent children and your spouse or partner is a Canadian or permanent resident, you don't need to fill out the "IMM5406E Additional family information" form. ....
This is NOT correct. If you look at the IMM 5406 form (found here), you will quickly see why. The first section asks for your name, your spouse or common-law partner and then your parents. Then you go on to list your children and siblings. Even if you have no children or siblings, you have to fill out that section and sign where it's required.
The form absolutely MUST be filled out by every applicant, without it the application is incomplete and will be returned.

What you are saying applies to page 2 of the IMM 0008 form (found here) - the section called Detailes of Family Members. There, you only list your dependants that are not yet Canadian citizens or permanent residents. The spouse or common-law partner is normally a citizen or PR anyway, how else could they be sponsoring the applicant?

aw76

Aug 15, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

After reading this post I still seem to be a bit confused regarding this subject. I am Canadian, sponsoring my new Korean wife(outland while she is in Korea). Her only immediate family is her father. Is there any part of the forms that I need to put him and his information down?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aw76 said:
Hi there,

After reading this post I still seem to be a bit confused regarding this subject. I am Canadian, sponsoring my new Korean wife(outland while she is in Korea). Her only immediate family is her father. Is there any part of the forms that I need to put him and his information down?

Thanks
No, you wife includes him in her IMM 5406.

PMM

lostsoul27

Star Member
Apr 20, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
AOR Received.
May 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
January 2010
Med's Done....
January 2010 AGAIN IN Feb 2011
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
28th Feb 2011
VISA ISSUED...
18th March 2011
I am confused about the IMM0008E ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION form. I am a Canadian Citizen sponsoring my husband. We have a daughter from this wedlock who is also a Canadian Citizen. Now, in my case what i understand is that i need to write NOT APPLICABLE on this section because my husband doesn't have any other wife or dependent children and the dependent child is already a Citizen.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi Lostsoul27, looks like you are in the same situation as me, only my husband is the Canadian citizen sponsoring me with our a Canadian citizen. I wrote to CIC asking about this and this is the answer I received. It might help you.

"You will need to put your son on the Imm5406 (Additional Family Information form) only. Your son does not need to complete a medical examination as he is not being sponsored. You are the only one who will need to complete the medical examination. Your husband will need to include your son on the Imm1344 as a dependent however no payment is required as you are the only one being sponsored. You may include with your application information stating that you are in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship for your son through your husband who is the Canadian"

So, because of this I wrote Not Applicable on form IMM 0008E

concrete

Star Member
May 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
20-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
05-01-2011
this whole additional family information also confuses me

can someone please advise how i should fill the form if:

1.my husband, who i'm sponsoring, has family in nigeria (NONE of whom are travelling with him or are getting sponsored)

2.my husband and i have a baby who is a canadian citizen (she will NOT be travelling with him as she will be in canada with me while the application is in process)

:-\

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
And probably an obvious question, but wanting to make sure.

I am sponsoring my wife, so on IMM5406, I assume I am listed in Section A as the spouse (of course she is the applicant).

Correct? I think the more time you spend on those forms the more confusing they become! :)

shandymoo

Sep 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
17-02-11
File Transfer...
09-02-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
Passport Req..
20-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2011
LANDED..........
27-05-2011
I filled out the form like this
details of
my spouse (who is sponsoring me)
my mother
my father
signed and dated to say i have no children
details of
my sister
my brother
signed and dated at the bottom.

If the spouse part is not applicable because he is my spouse then i'm sure they will just ignore it as they aren't stupid. It's better for it to be there and not needed and for it to be left out and needed and the application returned because of it.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
concrete said:
this whole additional family information also confuses me

can someone please advise how i should fill the form if:

1.my husband, who i'm sponsoring, has family in nigeria (NONE of whom are travelling with him or are getting sponsored)

2.my husband and i have a baby who is a canadian citizen (she will NOT be travelling with him as she will be in canada with me while the application is in process)

:-\
IMM 0008, page 2: here 'family members' means only the spouse/partner and dependent children, and only if they are not already Canadians. If your husband has any children, he lists them here, except your baby, who is already a Canadian. You are not listed either because you are already a Canadian.

IMM 5406, the Additional Family Information Form: here CIC wants information about what is commonly meant when we say "family members": your husband lists you as his spouse, his parents, his children - including your daughter, and all his brothers and sisters - including step- and half-siblings.

For most of the forms "family members" means only the spouse/partner and dependent children. Form IMM 5406 is an exception.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
leroadrunner said:
And probably an obvious question, but wanting to make sure.

I am sponsoring my wife, so on IMM5406, I assume I am listed in Section A as the spouse (of course she is the applicant).

Correct? I think the more time you spend on those forms the more confusing they become! :)
Yes, she has to list you there; otherwise she has to sign swearing she has no spouse.

concrete

Star Member
May 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
20-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
05-01-2011
canadianwoman said:
IMM 0008, page 2: here 'family members' means only the spouse/partner and dependent children, and only if they are not already Canadians. If your husband has any children, he lists them here, except your baby, who is already a Canadian. You are not listed either because you are already a Canadian.

IMM 5406, the Additional Family Information Form: here CIC wants information about what is commonly meant when we say "family members": your husband lists you as his spouse, his parents, his children - including your daughter, and all his brothers and sisters - including step- and half-siblings.

For most of the forms "family members" means only the spouse/partner and dependent children. Form IMM 5406 is an exception.
thank you thank you thank you

jhw

Feb 9, 2011
"Additional family information": Siblings with a conviction?

mitamata said:
This is NOT correct. If you look at the IMM 5406 form, you will quickly see why. The first section asks for your name, your spouse or common-law partner and then your parents. Then you go on to list your children and siblings. Even if you have no children or siblings, you have to fill out that section and sign where it's required.
The form absolutely MUST be filled out by every applicant, without it the application is incomplete and will be returned.
For Canadian Experience Class,
1. does only the applicant fill out IMM 5406? Or does the spouse fill out one as well?
2. do we list all siblings? My husband has several brothers and sisters, some of whom may have gone to jail at one point or another.
3. IF we have to list all siblings, then on Schedule 1, background information IMM0008, when it says, "Have you or any of your family members listed in your application....been convicted of or currently awaiting charges...." does this mean you have to say whether your siblings have charges against them? Because you list them in the other form?

Any help appreciated, as this is confusing!