+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ACCA-CGA/CPA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
I am incredibly confused regarding the Canadian tax and law course. Are there two separate modules for tax and law? Because I seem to find only one module for law, as for tax, I can see only ebooks to be downloaded. No modules and no quiz.

I passed the law portion.. I am not sure where the tax quiz is?!!! How do I get my completion certificate?!!!

I took a screen shot of the pass mark of the law module, but I am pretty sure there has to be another way to get a proper completion certificate for the course.

Another thing, when I click on "grades" I find a long listing of more than 9 modules showing that I have zero grades in them and only the last module where I took the quiz is showing a grade. These modules were only EBOOKS, no quiz, how on earth am I supposed to answer them?!!

Please help me, i really hate the format of the module, so very unclear and poor.

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
I am incredibly confused regarding the Canadian tax and law course. Are there two separate modules for tax and law? Because I seem to find only one module for law, as for tax, I can see only ebooks to be downloaded. No modules and no quiz.

I passed the law portion.. I am not sure where the tax quiz is?!!! How do I get my completion certificate?!!!

I took a screen shot of the pass mark of the law module, but I am pretty sure there has to be another way to get a proper completion certificate for the course.

Another thing, when I click on "grades" I find a long listing of more than 9 modules showing that I have zero grades in them and only the last module where I took the quiz is showing a grade. These modules were only EBOOKS, no quiz, how on earth am I supposed to answer them?!!

Please help me, i really hate the format of the module, so very unclear and poor.
Hi. It’s been a while since I took the course so cannot really recall the layout of the course modules so well. Yes, tax and law are two parts. As far as I remember you will have to access all of these from the main home page of the course. Expand each course part to open the modules. I think there are 9 individual modules in law and 7 in tax (or vice versa) you’ll have to complete each chronologically for the next module to open. However the modules of law and tax are independent of each other and you can attempt each in tandem. After you complete the course - scoring above 80 in each quiz, the completion certificate of the entire course will be available to download from the same homepage. You need to use that in your application.

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hi. It’s been a while since I took the course so cannot really recall the layout of the course modules so well. Yes, tax and law are two parts. As far as I remember you will have to access all of these from the main home page of the course. Expand each course part to open the modules. I think there are 9 individual modules in law and 7 in tax (or vice versa) you’ll have to complete each chronologically for the next module to open. However the modules of law and tax are independent of each other and you can attempt each in tandem. After you complete the course - scoring above 80 in each quiz, the completion certificate of the entire course will be available to download from the same homepage. You need to use that in your application.
Thank you so much Gary! Your message prompted me to go and double check the modules again (even though I checked them 100 of times before posting here) and as it turns out, there is a module for tax, but my browser was blocking it, so every-time I opened it, the module did not show. I just disabled the block and now I can see a similar module for tax like it was the case for law, finally! I was going crazy lol I will do this one and hopefully when I pass I will see the certificate.

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Thank you so much Gary! Your message prompted me to go and double check the modules again (even though I checked them 100 of times before posting here) and as it turns out, there is a module for tax, but my browser was blocking it, so every-time I opened it, the module did not show. I just disabled the block and now I can see a similar module for tax like it was the case for law, finally! I was going crazy lol I will do this one and hopefully when I pass I will see the certificate.
Glad it helped. All the best :)

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
Guys, I need to clarify a few things regarding MRA. I am currently busy, but ll complete the documentation in January 2021.
Things I need to apply.
1) Identification document
2) ACCA LOGS and Transcript (Emailed by ACCA to CPA Ontario)
3) WES ICAP (Course-by-Course)
4) Detailed Resume
5) Canadian Tax and Law Course
6) Two Referee Recommendation Forms.

Regarding the above checklist, I have few queries. I hope you will be able to help me out there.

• Do I need to register at CPA Ontario's website before starting the process? and do I need to pay fees upfront If I need to proceed?
  • The fee for the period of October to March is CAD 1,118.70?
  • I have an ECA for OBU and ACCA, If I start an absolutely new application for WES, can my documents be transferred from the old to the new one without going through the whole process of contacting the university and sending them again (as OBU did at the time of ECA)
  • And the required report is WES ICAP (DOC by DOC)?
  • References can be ACCA members, they don't have to be CPA's provincial bodies members?
  • and If I have an additional qualification, that I did not use for ECA (as ACCA and OBU serves the purpose) and they make part of my resume, Do I need to send those undergraduate degrees to WES for evaluation and then to CPA for the Processing of my application? (I am only asking this because they make part of my resume)
and the most important thing, the application has to be filed submitted online, we don't have to send any documents by MAIL to CPA. and only 3rd parties ACCA and WES will send the documents by email and in case of WES e-copy.
and the deadline is 30th April, So I can submit my application latest by MARCH (How much does it take to fill an application and submit?) asking only so that I could spare enough time to submit it before the deadline.

It is a long thread but I hope you all can help me ease my anxiety.

Regards

Hi Sam/Hannan(and interested folks),

I just completed the application, so your document list seem complete.

The answers to your queries (as per my little knowledge are below) if it helps.

• Do I need to register at CPA Ontario's website before starting the process? and do I need to pay fees upfront If I need to proceed? YES- Follow the link "APPLY TODAY" on the info page and it will take you there.
  • The fee for the period of October to March is CAD 1,118.70? YES, it should be this much, but when i completed the application, its coming to 1672.40.Not sure why. Have emailed them though.
  • I have an ECA for OBU and ACCA, If I start an absolutely new application for WES, can my documents be transferred from the old to the new one without going through the whole process of contacting the university and sending them again (as OBU did at the time of ECA). I believe the process to transfer docs to new app is explained in this thread few post before.
  • And the required report is WES ICAP (DOC by DOC)? YES. If you select professional qualification & ......., ICAP will appear.
  • References can be ACCA members, they don't have to be CPA's provincial bodies members? Again, someone else have asked CPA Ontario, and they said YES, it can be from your membership body. U can find those posts as well on this thread.
  • and If I have an additional qualification, that I did not use for ECA (as ACCA and OBU serves the purpose) and they make part of my resume, Do I need to send those undergraduate degrees to WES for evaluation and then to CPA for the Processing of my application? (I am only asking this because they make part of my resume). I am not sure on this one. But personally i would only send only what CPA Ontario needs. e.g. OBU and ACCA membership if that's what they need. Alternatively you can ask CPA Ontario, but they may say they are not sure and you have to apply to know, lol.

(My background - ACCA member + MSc from UoL-applied to CPA Ontario - Yet to submit documents).

Reactions: PhdStream

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013

• Do I need to register at CPA Ontario's website before starting the process? and do I need to pay fees upfront If I need to proceed? YES- Follow the link "APPLY TODAY" on the info page and it will take you there.
  • The fee for the period of October to March is CAD 1,118.70? YES, it should be this much, but when i completed the application, its coming to 1672.40.Not sure why. Have emailed them though.
  • I have an ECA for OBU and ACCA, If I start an absolutely new application for WES, can my documents be transferred from the old to the new one without going through the whole process of contacting the university and sending them again (as OBU did at the time of ECA). I believe the process to transfer docs to new app is explained in this thread few post before.
  • And the required report is WES ICAP (DOC by DOC)? YES. If you select professional qualification & ......., ICAP will appear.
  • References can be ACCA members, they don't have to be CPA's provincial bodies members? Again, someone else have asked CPA Ontario, and they said YES, it can be from your membership body. U can find those posts as well on this thread.
  • and If I have an additional qualification, that I did not use for ECA (as ACCA and OBU serves the purpose) and they make part of my resume, Do I need to send those undergraduate degrees to WES for evaluation and then to CPA for the Processing of my application? (I am only asking this because they make part of my resume). I am not sure on this one. But personally i would only send only what CPA Ontario needs. e.g. OBU and ACCA membership if that's what they need. Alternatively you can ask CPA Ontario, but they may say they are not sure and you have to apply to know, lol.

(My background - ACCA member + MSc from UoL-applied to CPA Ontario - Yet to submit documents).
Hi, I wonder if you have a bachelor's degree or just MSc from UoL? If you have is it from OBU?

My wife is in a path to be a ACCA member and has 3 years bachelor's degree not OBU. We are already in Ontario and most likely apply for CPA-On sometime next year, if the rules does not change significantly compared to the current.

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
Hi, I wonder if you have a bachelor's degree or just MSc from UoL? If you have is it from OBU?

My wife is in a path to be a ACCA member and has 3 years bachelor's degree not OBU. We are already in Ontario and most likely apply for CPA-On sometime next year, if the rules does not change significantly compared to the current.
Just MSc from UoL, and ACCA membership. I hope it will be accepted.

Reactions: PhdStream

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
Guys i am starting my process to become a CPA Ontario. I am an Acca memeber and i have applied for immigration. My AOR is 24 Dec 2020.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Hi Hannan,

I intend to apply for immigration too. Any chance you can share your details for our guidance.
Your experience can be really helpful to me as i am in the same boat.

Thanks

Sam_4321

Star Member
Apr 23, 2020

• and If I have an additional qualification, that I did not use for ECA (as ACCA and OBU serves the purpose) and they make part of my resume, Do I need to send those undergraduate degrees to WES for evaluation and then to CPA for the Processing of my application? (I am only asking this because they make part of my resume). I am not sure about this one. But personally, I would only send only what CPA Ontario needs. e.g. OBU and ACCA membership if that's what they need. Alternatively, you can ask CPA Ontario, but they may say they are not sure and you have to apply to know, lol.

Thank you.
Just a little more clarity on the Fee part, at the time of registration (which means starting an application with CPA Ontario), do I need to pay the fee upfront ? or I can register and do the rest of the steps WES report, Law and Tax course, gather references and pay the fee at the time of submission?

I am not following the process right now, but I'll be picking your brain once I start the process.

Best regards

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
Thank you.
Just a little more clarity on the Fee part, at the time of registration (which means starting an application with CPA Ontario), do I need to pay the fee upfront ? or I can register and do the rest of the steps WES report, Law and Tax course, gather references and pay the fee at the time of submission?

I am not following the process right now, but I'll be picking your brain once I start the process.

Best regards

Hi Sam,

You can pay the fee if you like, that means your application is submitted but not complete. Its written on their website too, that you can pay your fee even if they haven't received your documents yet.
The point is, without fee, they may not start the process even if you have already sent all the documents.
But once fee is paid, you are their potential member(a customer), so they will even email you if they need something.

I personally haven't paid the fee yet, but i made an account to get CPA ID, so i can use that ID to ask ACCA and WES to include as my ref.
Once i have done course, i will pay the fee (ofcourse asap), and not so close to 30 April 2021.

My fear is that my UoL still hasn't replied to my request to send documents to WES, even though WES say they have partnership with UoL to receive document electronically.

I would advise to start the process asap, so we don't struggle to meet 30 April 2021 deadline.

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
Hi Folks,

Those of us who are not in Canada and haven't got the PR yet, what about this requirement of CPA Ontario that "Applicants to CPA Ontario should be either residing in, moving to or in the process of immigrating to Ontario".

Doesn't this imply that our membership application will be rejected if we can't prove either of the above.

Any thoughts?

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
If you're talking about OBU Bachelors. Then yes. I recently got CPA and they accept OBU bachelors.
Hi Umair,

Were you resident in Canada or outside when you applied for CPA?
Didn't they asked you if you are in Canada or moving to or in process of immigrating to Canada?
If so, how did you prove?

Irfan247

Aug 13, 2020
How did you get your masters without the bachelors'?
Hi,

Just like ACCA/CPA MRA, ACCA have MoU with University of London and ACCA members can apply to MSc with graduation.
Similarly ACCA members can apply for MBA to Oxford Brookes without graduation based on their understanding etc.

(ACCA is considered good enough for Masters degree admission in UK. LOL)