+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 citizenship still waiting- let's gather here

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Language skills and physical presence updated to completed in tracker today (with June 12 date).
Prohibitions are in progress and oath not started.

Reactions: johnjkjk

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Congrats! Was this after starting mandamus?
So far just the first stage, not sure if that's related. I guess it is the same date when they sent us a "no reasons" letter.
Please be advised that a decision has not yet been made on the Applicant’s
application for citizenship. As such, no reasons for a decision exist.

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
Language skills and physical presence updated to completed in tracker today (with June 12 date).
Prohibitions are in progress and oath not started.
Same here, language and physical presence completed on may 5th, prohibition still in progress.

trying to figure out why prohibition wasn’t processed along with other two. Is your background check about to expire? Maybe rcmp security was done nearly a year ago?

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Same here, language and physical presence completed on may 5th, prohibition still in progress.

trying to figure out why prohibition wasn’t processed along with other two. Is your background check about to expire? Maybe rcmp security was done nearly a year ago?
No, there is nothing worrying in my case as far as I know. When I called last time in May, they said security is completed. BG is not expiring until next February.
I guess we'll wait and see. The law firm is still thinking we might avoid the second stage of mandamus, so there is a hope that I might get a DM within 30 days.
Could be just the stage where they park applications before putting them in line for the oath, who knows. Though, why do that?
In any case, I am relieved that there is at least something done after 15 months of zero progress.

h348400034

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
My tracker shows citizenship oath updated to In progress on June 13, I received the e-certificate email on June 14, tracker updated on June 15.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
No, there is nothing worrying in my case as far as I know. When I called last time in May, they said security is completed. BG is not expiring until next February.
I guess we'll wait and see. The law firm is still thinking we might avoid the second stage of mandamus, so there is a hope that I might get a DM within 30 days.
Could be just the stage where they park applications before putting them in line for the oath, who knows. Though, why do that?
In any case, I am relieved that there is at least something done after 15 months of zero progress.
You're almost there! It may not be "prohibitions" persay, but rather final decision pending, which could be for several reasons. The officer has to satisfy themselves that you meet all the criteria for citizenship, haven't misrepresented anything, etc. sometimes the doubts can arise from travel history, where you've lived before, taking the test outside Canada. And Even if background is passed, it doesn't mean that there isn't adverse information on file. Ultimately it's about an officer getting your file in their hands and actually making a decision

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
You're almost there! It may not be "prohibitions" persay, but rather final decision pending, which could be for several reasons. The officer has to satisfy themselves that you meet all the criteria for citizenship, haven't misrepresented anything, etc. sometimes the doubts can arise from travel history, where you've lived before, taking the test outside Canada. And Even if background is passed, it doesn't mean that there isn't adverse information on file. Ultimately it's about an officer getting your file in their hands and actually making a decision
Yeah, who knows. Actually I haven't left Canada between landing and applying for citizenship. I think somebody here mentioned that they deem no travel as suspicious as excessive travel... What a strange structure... I am just so tired of it.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Yeah, who knows. Actually I haven't left Canada between landing and applying for citizenship. I think somebody here mentioned that they deem no travel as suspicious as excessive travel... What a strange structure... I am just so tired of it.
You'll get there soon! The main problem area is physical presence, which you’ve passed! The final stage is probably some bureaucracy.. final approval from a senior officer perhaps. As soon as it lands on their desk, it's a few min job for them to approve.

Reactions: bas12

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Congrats Bas12 on hearing some updates on your application.

Guys, I need your thoughts on my situation below. Sorry, this will be a long read.

I have my Oath ceremony finally scheduled for Monday 19th June 2023 after waiting for so long to get the Citizenship process done. Meanwhile, because the Citizenship process dragged on for so long and my current PR card is already expired, I had submitted a paper PR card renewal application back on March 13th 2023 to IRCC because I have a trip planned for early August. I have not received an AOR on the PR card renewal till now.

So after I received the notification email (on June 13th) for my Oath ceremony, I sent a webform (very late on June 13th) to IRCC requesting for the withdrawal of PR card renewal application on the basis that I will be a citizen from Monday 19th and as such will not need the Card again.

Out of curiosity, yesterday (June 14th) i called IRCC to check the status of the PR card application and to be sure of the next steps now that I am scheduled for Oath. The Agent that I got through to told me that my PR card was just been uploaded on system on June 13th and that it's too late to withdraw or cancel the application and that it can only bee done after I take Citizenship Oath. She advised that I MUST provide all info about the PR card renewal application to the Oath Clerk/officer during the citizenship ceremony registration on the day of my ceremony and let him or her know that I had initially applied for a PR card renewal and that the IRCC (Montreal) local office will have to send an urgent e-mail to Sydney to cancel any PR card renewal application processing after my Oath taking ceremony. In fact, she said if by mistake I get the PR card after my Oath ceremony, I must return it immediately to CIC Sydney in the same receipt envelop unopened.

So, today realizing that I am missing the application number for the PR card renewal (as I will need to give this detail to the Oath clerk on Monday), I decided to call IRCC again today to get that info but to my surprise, the Call Agent I got through to told me that what he's reading from the case Officer's notes ( from 2 days ago) is that my PR card renewal application is marked as "incomplete" and "tagged for return" and that it has not been assigned an application number. I am confused as this is different from what the first Agent i spoke to yesterday told me. Also, I am very sure that I did not miss any document in that application and wondering why they are marking it as incomplete and for return.

I am a bit curious, If they already processed my withdrawal request i sent via Webform (less than 48hrs ago), I expect my file to show as "withdrawn" and not "incomplete". I am very sure i did not missing any document in the application and I was only outside of Canada for less 365 days in pass 5 years as when I applied for the renewal in March 13th 2023, so RO can't be an issue.

Do you guys think the Case Officer sees on their system that I have been Scheduled for Oath ceremony (actual update on citizenship tracker was June 11th) and decided to halt the PR Card application? I must say that I had included a cover letter in my PR card renewal application that I have my citizenship application ongoing and i need urgent processing to meet my August trip. As when I submitted the PR card renewal application, citizenship application processing was still tagged as 22/23 months.

I just want to be sure this will not conflict with finalizing my Oath taking on Monday. I still plan to let the Oath clerk know during ceremony registration that I still have a pending PR Card renewal application.

What do guys think?

• Sad

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016

Guys, I need your thoughts on my situation below. Sorry, this will be a long read.

I have my Oath ceremony finally scheduled for Monday 19th June 2023 after waiting for so long to get the Citizenship process done. Meanwhile, because the Citizenship process dragged on for so long and my current PR card is already expired, I had submitted a paper PR card renewal application back on March 13th 2023 to IRCC because I have a trip planned for early August. I have not received an AOR on the PR card renewal till now.

So after I received the notification email (on June 13th) for my Oath ceremony, I sent a webform (very late on June 13th) to IRCC requesting for the withdrawal of PR card renewal application on the basis that I will be a citizen from Monday 19th and as such will not need the Card again.

Out of curiosity, yesterday (June 14th) i called IRCC to check the status of the PR card application and to be sure of the next steps now that I am scheduled for Oath. The Agent that I got through to told me that my PR card was just been uploaded on system on June 13th and that it's too late to withdraw or cancel the application and that it can only bee done after I take Citizenship Oath. She advised that I MUST provide all info about the PR card renewal application to the Oath Clerk/officer during the citizenship ceremony registration on the day of my ceremony and let him or her know that I had initially applied for a PR card renewal and that the IRCC (Montreal) local office will have to send an urgent e-mail to Sydney to cancel any PR card renewal application processing after my Oath taking ceremony. In fact, she said if by mistake I get the PR card after my Oath ceremony, I must return it immediately to CIC Sydney in the same receipt envelop unopened.

So, today realizing that I am missing the application number for the PR card renewal (as I will need to give this detail to the Oath clerk on Monday), I decided to call IRCC again today to get that info but to my surprise, the Call Agent I got through to told me that what he's reading from the case Officer's notes ( from 2 days ago) is that my PR card renewal application is marked as "incomplete" and "tagged for return" and that it has not been assigned an application number. I am confused as this is different from what the first Agent i spoke to yesterday told me. Also, I am very sure that I did not miss any document in that application and wondering why they are marking it as incomplete and for return.

I am a bit curious, If they already processed my withdrawal request i sent via Webform (less than 48hrs ago), I expect my file to show as "withdrawn" and not "incomplete". I am very sure i did not missing any document in the application and I was only outside of Canada for less 365 days in pass 5 years as when I applied for the renewal in March 13th 2023, so RO can't be an issue.

Do you guys think the Case Officer sees on their system that I have been Scheduled for Oath ceremony (actual update on citizenship tracker was June 11th) and decided to halt the PR Card application? I must say that I had included a cover letter in my PR card renewal application that I have my citizenship application ongoing and i need urgent processing to meet my August trip. As when I submitted the PR card renewal application, citizenship application processing was still tagged as 22/23 months.

I just want to be sure this will not conflict with finalizing my Oath taking on Monday. I still plan to let the Oath clerk know during ceremony registration that I still have a pending PR Card renewal application.

What do guys think?
I would advise the clerk that you applied for pr card and it's still pending, and ask for his advice. Quote the application number. They will be the best person to advise you on what to do. Congrats for the ceremony!

bas12

Apr 20, 2018

What do guys think?
I have no experience with something like this, though I might in the next weeks or months :)
My guess is this should not be an issue. Maybe they cancelled it in the end so that they could return your money, out of the goodness of their heart.
I think they should be able to find any applications you have in the system through your UCI, even if there is no application number.

I think somebody posted recently something about someone getting their PR card after oath, and how they had to call to get instructions on how to send it back.

Hopefully the envelope says something about PR card being inside, since you probably would be waiting for the citizenship certificate at the same time, and you might want to open that one rather than send it back.

Last edited:

m1980

Jun 20, 2011
I applied for Canadian citizenship in December 2021. I completed the citizenship test on September 2022. Since then my process seems to be stuck. There were 4 “cold updates” (in November, December, March, and June) since then to my process, where only the “Updated” date changes but there are no real changes to the application statuses. Did anybody experience the same already? That’s super frustrating.

Since October 3, 2022, my status is stuck as follows:
Application Submitted online: December 21, 2021
Application filed (AOR): February 22, 2022
Language skills: In progress
Physical presence: In progress
Citizenship test: Completed (October 3, 2022)
Background verification: Completed (August 31, 2021)
Prohibitions: In progress
Citizenship ceremony: Not started
Yes, I am in the same boat.

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
I have no experience with something like this, though I might in the next weeks or months :)
My guess is this should not be an issue. Maybe they cancelled it in the end so that they could return your money, out of the goodness of their heart.
I think they should be able to find any applications you have in the system through your UCI, even if there is no application number.

I think somebody posted recently something about someone getting their PR card after oath, and how they had to call to get instructions on how to send it back.

Hopefully the envelope says something about PR card being inside, since you probably would be waiting for the citizenship certificate at the same time, and you might want to open that one rather than send it back.
Thanks man. Interestingly, I got the returned PR Card renewal application in my mail box this afternoon. It was returned because of photo specification issues. Based on this, I can easily conclude that the PR card renewal is a case closed as I don't a PR card anymore after my Oath on Monday. I will proceed to request for the refund of my fee payment and i guess i do not need to mention anything to the Oath Clerk as the application was never processed.