+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 citizenship still waiting- let's gather here

harith86

Dec 5, 2009
How did your interview go?
Did the officer tell you anything about the next step? I suspect the decision to suspend your application might be related to the outcome of the interview?
The interview went well.. Officer asked how many times I traveled outside of Canada during the 1095 days, and the duration of each travel.

Also asked me about what do I do for living, and if I rent a home or own.

Then the officer said he will note the information provided, and will queue me for a ceremony... And then the application went on hold based on the notes.

gustoronto

Jan 8, 2019
I am still waiting, without the citizenship test scheduled after 22 months. The application is on hold and it seems the problem is Location: E-Grant Follow-up

The full story is here. Anyone knows the meaning of Location: E-Grant Follow-up? The IRCC refuses to disclose more information or provide the reason even to my MP.

gustoronto

Jan 8, 2019
You can consider to file a mandamus, usually the court will force IRCC to response. Usually they just working on your case immediately.

I saw someone file mandamus by himself in another thread.
He use this link https://www.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/pages/representing-yourself
and use chatgpt to help him file the Form IR-1 - Application for Leave and for Judicial Review
Then IRCC responded and his case got processed quickly before the hearing, so don't need a lawyer.

I will consider to do it after I wait 21 months
My application is submitted on October 10, 2021, and AOR is January 4, 2022 (please check it here). Am I eligible to start the mandamus procedure?
Is it 21 months from the beginning of application submission or from AOR?

Last edited:

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
My application is submitted on October 10, 2021, and AOR is January 4, 2022 (please check it here). Am I eligible to start the mandamus procedure?
Is it 21 months from the beginning of application submission or from AOR?
Law firms take these cases at 18-20 months mark, so you're good.
This will set you back a few thousand though.
This thread has some recommendations
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applicants-waiting-for-more-than-2-years-interested-in-mandamus-with-a-firm-as-a-group-meet-here.743417/

The time counts from when the application was received. For online application it is the date of submission, for paper it is when it arrives in their mail room, not AOR.

Reactions: may2019

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
Chill guys, 31 months here and waiting. Received an email saying they are working on processing the oldest files.

Only God can judge IRCC!
What goes around comes around. Karma will hit those who are delaying our applications.

harith86

Dec 5, 2009
Sent my paper application September 29 2020, and AOR is received January 2021.

So far, I only have background and citizenship test completed. I attended an interview on Feb 7th 2023, and nothing after that yet,, still in progress.

MP wasn't helpful.. I requested notes, and I received them on Jul 1st

It shows Apps Status: On Hold
App Status Reason: Suspended - Investigation

I was like: What!!!??
Update:
******I received the new GCMS notes, and now it shows instead:
Apps Status:
App Status Reason:

On Hold & Suspended entries gone from the previous notes.

What does that mean?

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Update:
******I received the new GCMS notes, and now it shows instead:
Apps Status:
App Status Reason:

On Hold & Suspended entries gone from the previous notes.

What does that mean?
I had a similar experience with info disappearing from notes.
Could be that different ATIP workers have different ideas about what needs to be redacted, could be something else, who knows.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
So, my saga is finally over.
I applied in June 2021, started getting very concerned about no progress for a year this February, and tried to get any substantial update from IRCC. I tried all means: calls, webforms, MP, ordering GCMS notes.
In early June I gave up and filed mandamus; my file started moving right away, and I had an oath within 2 months.
During that time my PR card also expired, and the new card only arrived after I had the oath scheduled, also with a major delay in processing.
I should be able to pick up my passport on Monday.

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
So, my saga is finally over.
I applied in June 2021, started getting very concerned about no progress for a year this February, and tried to get any substantial update from IRCC. I tried all means: calls, webforms, MP, ordering GCMS notes.
In early June I gave up and filed mandamus; my file started moving right away, and I had an oath within 2 months.
During that time my PR card also expired, and the new card only arrived after I had the oath scheduled, also with a major delay in processing.
I should be able to pick up my passport on Monday.
Congrats! I am happy for you mate.

Two questions: 1) how much did you end up spending on the mandamus process? 2) does the mandamus work if the citizenship application is classified as non-routine?

Last edited:

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Congrats! I am happy for you mate.

Two questions: 1) how much did you end up spending on the mandamus process? 2) does the mandamus work if the citizenship application is classified as non-routine?
Thanks!
I ended up paying under 5K for the first two stages, if it went to getting a hearing, it would cost more, and could take up to a year.
This is a pretty small amount compared to how much taxes I paid to Federal government over the last 5 years. The government is always happy to take your money, but when you need their help for once, they are too busy with other things. I really had my eyes opened on how poorly run IRCC is. Even passport services managed to get their act together by now, but IRCC is still under covid lockdowns.

I cannot tell you much about whether it will work or not in your situation, I guess there are no guarantees, unfortunately.
I heard that IRCC may not be able to finalize an application quickly if it is stuck in a security, or if it is particularly complex.
I think this is a good question to ask a lawyer during the initial consultation.

I had some slightly worrisome entries in my GCMS notes that suggested that the application was flagged for something, but I was never able to figure out why this happened and what it meant. I thought my application was super simple, and didn't really require any work on their part.
In any case, with a bit of motivation IRCC was able to resolve whatever was confusing them in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: destiny2016

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Hi, I would like to share my update here.
I did the oath on June 28, and ask for urgent e-certificate because I need to travel.
But the clerk said they can only have it ready after 3-5 business day, there is no urgent process for e-certificate.
But I still sent the oath form with [Urgent Request] in the title and explain that I need to travel.
Today(June 29), My E-certificate is ready to download. and I applied the urgent pick up passport this morning.
I will be able to pick up my passport tomorrow (June 30) after 12 pm.
Which Office had your Oath? I mean to which office/email you sent your Oath form & urgent certificate request?

Xenon21

Jun 17, 2023
I finally got my invitation for the oath of citizenship ceremony taking part next Wednesday! Came right on the 18 month mark! I hope others who had their applications received in March 2022 also got their invites finally!