+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 citizenship still waiting- let's gather here

superde

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
I requested my MP to help follow-up on my application with IRCC and this what i got back from the office of the MP this morning:

"IRCC has contacted our office with the requested update on the status of your Citizenship application.

The agency has advised our office that your application was received on January 26, 2022, and is being processed at the IRCC Montreal office. Your security, criminality and knowledge have passed. Language and residence have not been started at this point. Your application is within the regular 21-month (October 2023) processing timeframe.

Applicant requested GCMS notes, ATIP once in March and May. When an applicant or their representative requests IRCC provide them with the GCMS notes for their application(s), IRCC is obliged to halt processing on the application and handover all details to a third party who prepares them for the inquirer. GCMS note requests are a type of ATIP request (Access to Information and Privacy). All ATIP requests must be handled by a third party in order to ensure that the disclosure process is fair. This is why your application might be marked as 'on hold' in certain sections. In future, I would advise you avoid requesting GCMS notes, as they rarely provide new insights and will inevitably result in delays to your application."

I don't get it, can requesting GCMS notes delay application processing? I requested an GCMS notes in early May which I have not even received. Surprised that Language and Residence has not started up until now.

m1980

Jun 20, 2011
I am Dec 2021 applicant and still waiting for LPP. My BG completed in August and the test was done in Sep. LPP is in progress for 8 months already and nothing updated. How does everyone get so much information about your status? I am only checking my tracker. What's MP/GCMS? I emailed the Vancouver office but no reply. What should I do next?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I requested my MP to help follow-up on my application with IRCC and this what i got back from the office of the MP this morning:

"IRCC has contacted our office with the requested update on the status of your Citizenship application.

The agency has advised our office that your application was received on January 26, 2022, and is being processed at the IRCC Montreal office. Your security, criminality and knowledge have passed. Language and residence have not been started at this point. Your application is within the regular 21-month (October 2023) processing timeframe.

Applicant requested GCMS notes, ATIP once in March and May. When an applicant or their representative requests IRCC provide them with the GCMS notes for their application(s), IRCC is obliged to halt processing on the application and handover all details to a third party who prepares them for the inquirer. GCMS note requests are a type of ATIP request (Access to Information and Privacy). All ATIP requests must be handled by a third party in order to ensure that the disclosure process is fair. This is why your application might be marked as 'on hold' in certain sections. In future, I would advise you avoid requesting GCMS notes, as they rarely provide new insights and will inevitably result in delays to your application."

I don't get it, can requesting GCMS notes delay application processing? I requested an GCMS notes in early May which I have not even received. Surprised that Language and Residence has not started up until now.
Some people have reported this very MP response before. Bottom line is that this information is incorrect. The atip request is unrelated to case processing.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Some people have reported this very MP response before. Bottom line is that this information is incorrect. The atip request is unrelated to case processing.
I was literally devasted and perplexed about this, as I requested GCMS 5 times of which 3 are underway and I was concerned. Thanks for assurance!

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I am Dec 2021 applicant and still waiting for LPP. My BG completed in August and the test was done in Sep. LPP is in progress for 8 months already and nothing updated. How does everyone get so much information about your status? I am only checking my tracker. What's MP/GCMS? I emailed the Vancouver office but no reply. What should I do next?
You can try calling the call center first to ask for an update. Ask if LPP are in progress/not started, whether the file is allocated to an officer, and what the recent case notes say. Some call center agents are more helpful than others in providing this information, so you may need to call more than once. Try early morning or afternoon and note down the menu options. You may need to dial 10 times, rapidly pressing the appropriate menu options to get through to an agent.

Can also make an atip request for case notes under the privacy act (free) from ircc. However it may not give you a lot more useful information than what you can get from a helpful phone agent.

Reactions: jojee2k6

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
I wrote to my MP again and saw the following in the automated response: "N.B. : We are aware of delays in processing immigration applications with IRCC. We advise you that currently, the waiting time is at least 30 days to receive an update. We will do our utmost to action urgent cases in a timely manner."

Absolutely hilarious that things are so bad over at the IRCC that he had to add that.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Well said. They previously used to term the 20% as "non routine" but have changed the terminology to "backlog", insisting that they always have a 20% backlog, in order to normalise there being a backlog. When in fact a backlog, by definition, shouldnt exist once it's cleared. As you say, the unlucky cases selected for "backlog" (previously non-routine) processing, whether by some algorithm, (un)lucky draw or officer targets, are stuck without information or end in sight, and deserve better.
I agree with you that the 20% backlog is unacceptable. It is unfair to the people who are waiting for their applications to be processed, and it is a waste of resources. IRCC needs to do more to clear the backlog and ensure that all applications are processed fairly and in a timely manner.

I think that IRCC should be more transparent about how they are handling the backlog. They should publish regular updates on the number of applications in the backlog, the reasons for the backlog, and the steps they are taking to clear it. They should also provide more information to people who are waiting for their applications to be processed. This would help to reduce the anxiety and frustration that people are feeling.

I hope that IRCC will take steps to address the backlog and improve the way they process applications. People who are waiting to immigrate to Canada deserve better.

Reactions: jojee2k6

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
If they are deliberately lying about this, it is quite abhorrent. That's not just wasting resources, but actively harming the taxpayers.
Is it just the Montreal office that is doing this, or is this a common tactic? Why do they care if we get the notes? Don't want to be evaluated? One person's notes don't prove much anyway.

How do we know that ATIP is unrelated to case processing? And what is the problem with concurrent requests? What if I have multiple questions, and they don't fit in whatever character limit they set? Also, when I ask about more than one thing, they just ignore some of the questions.

Though from what I am seeing on this forum, I judged that this threat is likely not true. There are some more impatient people who start sending loads of requests at 6 months mark, and they are often done within a year. Also, I never saw "on hold" in any of my ATIP notes, including GCMS, CBSA, and CSIS.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
If they are deliberately lying about this, it is quite abhorrent. That's not just wasting resources, but actively harming the taxpayers.
Is it just the Montreal office that is doing this, or is this a common tactic? Why do they care if we get the notes? Don't want to be evaluated? One person's notes don't prove much anyway.

How do we know that ATIP is unrelated to case processing? And what is the problem with concurrent requests? What if I have multiple questions, and they don't fit in whatever character limit they set? Also, when I ask about more than one thing, they just ignore some of the questions.

Though from what I am seeing on this forum, I judged that this threat is likely not true. There are some more impatient people who start sending loads of requests at 6 months mark, and they are often done within a year. Also, I never saw "on hold" in any of my ATIP notes, including GCMS, CBSA, and CSIS.
I think some part here are relevant:
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/access-information-manual.html
But I'll need to read it more carefully later

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I agree with you that the 20% backlog is unacceptable. It is unfair to the people who are waiting for their applications to be processed, and it is a waste of resources. IRCC needs to do more to clear the backlog and ensure that all applications are processed fairly and in a timely manner.

I think that IRCC should be more transparent about how they are handling the backlog. They should publish regular updates on the number of applications in the backlog, the reasons for the backlog, and the steps they are taking to clear it. They should also provide more information to people who are waiting for their applications to be processed. This would help to reduce the anxiety and frustration that people are feeling.

I hope that IRCC will take steps to address the backlog and improve the way they process applications. People who are waiting to immigrate to Canada deserve better.
That’s the thing, though. The backlog is now permanent. They are clearing the current 23% of backlog only down to 20%. Once that is achieved, IRCC can claim that processing time is back to 12 months (for 80% of cases). Those caught up in that 20% could take years to clear. No accountability. No upper time limit. No knowing what's happening with a file, or why.

This has been discussed in some old thread’s where People received this kind of response. The conclusion was that it's not true and atip is a different department, although there may be some info exchange when it comes to redactions.

Concurrent wasn't the right word, I meant I mean applying again with the same agency whilst the previous application is pending. They ask not to do so.

That said, in my last CBSA notes, they included a new section detailing all my atip requests. So IRCC may well be aware of my prolific requests. however As per the privacy/info acts, this is my right to exercise. They can't penalise me for making atip requests.

I've also had specific case questions ignored.
In my last I asked whether my file has been backlogged, what criteria was used to backlog me. No response.

Last edited:
Reactions: becca545 and bas12

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
That’s the thing, though. The backlog is now permanent. They are clearing the current 23% of backlog only down to 20%. Once that is achieved, IRCC can claim that processing time is back to 12 months (for 80% of cases). Those caught up in that 20% could take years to clear. No accountability. No upper time limit. No knowing what's happening with a file, or why.
How do they calculate the number processed within service standards? Something like only the applications within some time range, for example only Q1 of 2022? Or only the applications submitted on the date exactly 1 year ago? :D
The picture would be different depending on what time range we're looking at: 1 year, 3 years, 10 years.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
That said, in my last CBSA notes, they included a new section detailing all my atip requests. So IRCC may well be aware of my prolific requests. however As per the privacy/info acts, this is my right to exercise. They can't penalise me for making atip requests.
Well, as far as I could understand, it is illegal for them to say that the requests may negatively impact your application. It is also illegal to be biased towards you for making these requests.
Whether there are actual delays, is hard to say, with IRCC anything is possible. But if there are really major delays, I would expect a warning somewhere visible on their website. Oh, wait, that's illegal...

And these are the people we entrust to do due diligence on making sure that very highly educated and carefully selected immigrants are not secretly dangerous criminals or trying to cheat on a couple of weeks of residence. facepalm...
If they send something like this to me, I will try to get to the bottom of it if I can.

Last edited: