+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

mevisbleek

Star Member
Jul 18, 2009
Hi Guys,
I understand that to qualify for Open Work Permit the principal applicant needs to have status in Canada. However, does the applicant need to have status at the time the application reaches the processing center or at the time IRCC starts processing the application.

For simplicity sake, below is my case:
I am sponsoring my spouse in land.
Spouse Visitor Visa expires on March 1st.
Plan on sending the PR application before that date.
Does she qualify for OWP (Open Work Permit)?

Baharm

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Hi Guys,
I understand that to qualify for Open Work Permit the principal applicant needs to have status in Canada. However, does the applicant need to have status at the time the application reaches the processing center or at the time IRCC starts processing the application.

For simplicity sake, below is my case:
I am sponsoring my spouse in land.
Spouse Visitor Visa expires on March 1st.
Plan on sending the PR application before that date.
Does she qualify for OWP (Open Work Permit)?
Someone already answered this a couple posts before for someone else in the same situation. Your spouse will have implied status after they receive AOR for the OWP application. They don't specifically send an AOR for that (as I've heard) but either they send it back or you'll be able to link it online after you have the application number. So the PA has to have a valid status until you know your application was complete. If it expires after you send the application and they return the application for some reason, then they'll be out of status and need to wait until AIP to get an OWP. I'm in the same situation. Waiting for AOR, but if they return our application I'll have to apply for extension.

bieber123

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
I think it depends if they ask for the hard copy. Just keep it at hand in case they request for it. I submitted my hard copy along with the app back in December. So far, they haven’t requested any police certificates from me yet.
Thanks for this! I also submitted a police certificate hard copy with the app last week. I have a pdf copy in case they need it.

They just asked for your schedule A to upload online and no mention of police certificate?

bieber123

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Do we have to submit original birth or baptismal certificate or just copy ? Please let me know. My spouse has only a copy of birth certificate and not the original. Please help.
Only the principal applicant + children. Not the sponsor. And depends on your country specific requirements if they need the original.

crystarclear

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-12-2017
Doc's Request.
26-01-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2018
LANDED..........
06-11-2018
Thanks for this! I also submitted a police certificate hard copy with the app last week. I have a pdf copy in case they need it.

They just asked for your schedule A to upload online and no mention of police certificate?
Hi, yes. They only requested for my Sched A. Hopefully that means they have my police certificate in their file.

Reactions: bieber123

Incroyable

Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-12-2017
I uploaded the Schedule A and Police check a few days ago, but the status still says 'Your action is required'. o_O

When I view submitted applications, the table that lists the Schedule A and PCC is mostly blank, except green text saying 'Replacement Provided Uploaded'. There's nothing else we can do on this page as we've already gone to the next page to sign and submit.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: CanuckDuck

Lemur

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
Is it normal that my sponsor has not heard anything yet?
My AOR was never sent to me but I linked my application and had a letter there requesting Schedule A and police cert.
I uploaded these docs already but my sponsor does not have GCkey account and received no e-mail.

@Incroyable I have the same, status remains 'your action is required' even though I uploaded. I guess this is normal.

crystarclear

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-12-2017
Doc's Request.
26-01-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2018
LANDED..........
06-11-2018
I uploaded the Schedule A and Police check a few days ago, but the status still says 'Your action is required'. o_O

When I view submitted applications, the table that lists the Schedule A and PCC is mostly blank, except green text saying 'Replacement Provided Uploaded'. There's nothing else we can do on this page as we've already gone to the next page to sign and submit.

I think it's just a glitch. Most senior members in other forums always say that lol.

Incroyable

Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-12-2017
Is it normal that my sponsor has not heard anything yet?
My AOR was never sent to me but I linked my application and had a letter there requesting Schedule A and police cert.
I uploaded these docs already but my sponsor does not have GCkey account and received no e-mail.

@Incroyable I have the same, status remains 'your action is required' even though I uploaded. I guess this is normal.
I'm the sponsor and don't have GCKey either. But did receive a sponsor AOR email 24 hours after my husband got his. Sounds like the Schedule A and PCC request is your AOR. For some reason not everyone gets AOR emails.

Nice to see that 'your action is required' is normal.

MountainAB

Jan 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
18-12-2017

I am on the exactly same situation so I guess it's normal. Hopefully. ;)
And they only asked me for the schedule A, I sent my police certificate upfront.

Reactions: Incroyable

Baharm

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
I just got my AOR!! Application was received Dec 21st. I had sent my PCC with the app so there's only a request for Schedule A.
I linked my PR application with no problems on first try but couldn't link my OWP application yet. Hopefully I'll manage to link that soon!

MountainAB

Jan 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
18-12-2017
I just got my AOR!! Application was received Dec 21st. I had sent my PCC with the app so there's only a request for Schedule A.
I linked my PR application with no problems on first try but couldn't link my OWP application yet. Hopefully I'll manage to link that soon!
Congrats!!! Such a good feeling :)

Reactions: Baharm

canada1405

Feb 1, 2018
Hello 2018 in-land applicants,

I sent my in-land spousal sponsorship application on January 30, 2018. CIC office received my application on January 31, 2018.

I only sent 2016 Notice of Assessment.

How many tax years do we need to include?

Do we need to send 2017 Notice of Assessment later?

princessjustin24

Jan 26, 2018
i was able to link my OWP on my gckey account. It has a different application number though.
you can try linking yours :)

(1) Go to this below listed link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
(2) Click on continue to Gckey
(3) If You've already account created, login with your Username and Password otherwise Click on Sign up to go on next page and create your username, password and security questions.
(4) After creating my CIC account, click link application to this account.
(5) Then select category as Temporary residence and subcategory as Work Permit and extension.
(6) Then select Family name, given name and date of birth option.
(7) Fill your family name(surname), given name and date of birth as per Passport or Application form.
(8.) Next in applicant personal info panel fill Passport information only and DO NOT FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH.
(9) In Details of intended work in Canada info, Select Open (initial application or extension) for What type of work permit are you applying for?
(10) Select applicant's Current country of residence (For example, if your spouse currently living in India, Please select India)
(11) Select Current marital Status
(12) Next select Spouse or common-low partner of a skilled worker if Applicant's Spouse on Open Work Permit or PGWP in Canada Or Select Spouse or common-low partner of a foreign student if Applicant's Spouse on Study permit
(13) Once you fill all information, Click on Search for my application
(14) Your application will be found and can be linked.
(15) You can get real time updates on your paper application online.

I hope this information will help you...!!!

Reactions: CdnwifeUSwife