+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

roysk

Jan 3, 2018
I got the AOR for my application to sponsor my common-law partner yesterday (yay)! We submitted it on Feb 15 via purolator, received in Ontario on the 16.

I was wondering (and would really appreciate advice on the following):
  1. How long until we can link the PR application to his online account because when my partner (the applicant) tries it says there is nothing to link (I am thinking 2 days but wasn't sure)
  2. The AOR noted that the date the application was received was Feb 16th - when waiting for the OPW and the PR applications to be processed should I be counting from the date the AOR was received OR the date listed on the AOR which is Feb 16th.
  3. My partner's current work-permit runs out on April 26th - if he has not gotten his OWP at that time could he take an unpaid leave of absence from his job in order to comply to the rule that he cannot work in Canada, or must he formally quit his job?

Thank you so much for any help!!
Hi there
Follow these steps
  1. Link Paper Application to Online Application

PERMANENT RESIDENCE (spouse)

Category: Permanent Residence

Sub-category: Family (Spouse)

➡︎ Use UCI and Family Name

➡︎ Do NOT enter anything in the town/city of birth and Country

Passport Information:

↳ Passport Number

↳ Country of Issue

↳ Issue Date and Expiry Date

Personal Information:

↳ Intended Residence (Province and City)

↳ Current Marital Status

↳ Number of applicants in application: 2 (if 1 Principal Applicant and 1 Sponsor)

For OWP processing time around 90 to 120 days from the day your application was received not the issuance of AOR. Thus, ur partner benefit the implied status as well.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Hello guys,

I'm confused about the police certificates that need to be submitted. I found conflicting information on CIC's website.

This is used to help assess admissibility.

Thi is what CIC's website says:

When we ask you for police certificates at this stage, you’ll have to submit them for:

• the country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and
  • the country where you’ve spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.
The same applies to all family members who need to submit a police certificate.

Find more information about police certificates. <--
Then when I click on this, it says this:

In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate.

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

So now, I'm confused is the police certificates needed for EVERY country where the applicant has lived for more than 6 months or is it just for the country where you’ve spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you!
Its clear , any country where spent 6 months or more in a year need to produce PC , its your country or any other.

roysk

Jan 3, 2018
Just to share
I spoke to cic agent few days ago and i was advised not to get the police certificate here in Canada unless they require you to have ur fingerprints at RCMP. Im here in CA more than 6mos now

mani0044

Jan 13, 2018
Just want to share my timeline

Application submitted feb 7 2018
AOR Received march 15 2018

Document requested
Police clearance of both countries
And schedule A

Cath289

Sep 29, 2014
Hi there
Follow these steps
  1. Link Paper Application to Online Application

PERMANENT RESIDENCE (spouse)

Category: Permanent Residence

Sub-category: Family (Spouse)

➡︎ Use UCI and Family Name

➡︎ Do NOT enter anything in the town/city of birth and Country

Passport Information:

↳ Passport Number

↳ Country of Issue

↳ Issue Date and Expiry Date

Personal Information:

↳ Intended Residence (Province and City)

↳ Current Marital Status

↳ Number of applicants in application: 2 (if 1 Principal Applicant and 1 Sponsor)

For OWP processing time around 90 to 120 days from the day your application was received not the issuance of AOR. Thus, ur partner benefit the implied status as well.
Thank you!! This is incredibly helpful, I hit my 5 attempt limit for today unfortunately so will try again tomorrow with your advice.

That is fantastic about the implied status, I will let him know that as he is on implied status for his OWP he can continue to work until such a time as they tell him he was unsuccessful or they request he stop for any such reason.

Reactions: roysk

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
What happens if we misunderstood the police certificate instructions? I sent the certificate for my home country, but didn't send a Canadian one. I've definitely spent more than 6 months here with all my visits added up so how do I go about giving them that one after the fact (after I've already submitted my Schedule A and home country certificate)?

EDIT: Or do I just wait for them to request it additionally?

Honeydew1987

Nov 17, 2017
Hi,
I submitted my spouse sponsorship application in Feb. Today I received a letter from Immigration Canada and asked me to link my application, but somehow it says no application found. I just received the letter now, should I wait for a day?

roysk

Jan 3, 2018
Hi,
I submitted my spouse sponsorship application in Feb. Today I received a letter from Immigration Canada and asked me to link my application, but somehow it says no application found. I just received the letter now, should I wait for a day?
Hi there
I sent a reply to Cath289. Pls chek that might help u

roysk

Jan 3, 2018
What happens if we misunderstood the police certificate instructions? I sent the certificate for my home country, but didn't send a Canadian one. I've definitely spent more than 6 months here with all my visits added up so how do I go about giving them that one after the fact (after I've already submitted my Schedule A and home country certificate)?

EDIT: Or do I just wait for them to request it additionally?
If you want you call the cic for clarification

Baharm

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Its clear , any country where spent 6 months or more in a year need to produce PC , its your country or any other.
It doesn't say that as far as I can tell by reading it! It used to be like that, when you had to send a PCC for every country where you've lived in for more than 6 months but now it's just asking for PCC from the country where you've lived most of your life after 18. I've read on CIC website that you don't need a PCC from Canada (and again this was discussed in many posts on the 2017 inland forum). I've seen some people have been asked for a Canadian PCC but most people say they don't ask for one from Canada.

Reactions: roysk

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
It doesn't say that as far as I can tell by reading it! It used to be like that, when you had to send a PCC for every country where you've lived in for more than 6 months but now it's just asking for PCC from the country where you've lived most of your life after 18. I've read on CIC website that you don't need a PCC from Canada (and again this was discussed in many posts on the 2017 inland forum). I've seen some people have been asked for a Canadian PCC but most people say they don't ask for one from Canada.
My instructions say:

At this time, you need to provide a police certificate for: 1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and 2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

So about 1 - it counts all the visits you've had, right? Not just the latest one? I got confused because I've visited in the past, but I only moved to Canada to "live" (as they say) less than five months ago. That's my last entry after which I got married and applied inland. So I thought I don't have to send the Canadian one, but now I'm thinking I should have because it counts all the visits?

missancheta

Oct 13, 2017
Hi,
When did you submit your application? did you receive the letter via email?

Aelin

Mar 8, 2018
My instructions say:

At this time, you need to provide a police certificate for: 1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and 2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

So about 1 - it counts all the visits you've had, right? Not just the latest one? I got confused because I've visited in the past, but I only moved to Canada to "live" (as they say) less than five months ago. That's my last entry after which I got married and applied inland. So I thought I don't have to send the Canadian one, but now I'm thinking I should have because it counts all the visits?
That confused me too! They actually updated the Document Checklist again (twice in Feb 2018) where it now quotes the following:

"If you (or a family member 18 or older) have lived in Canada the last six months, or Canada is the country where you (or they) have lived for most of your (or their) life since the age of 18, police certificates for Canada are not required at this time. IRCC will make a request for (a) Canadian police certificate(s) on your behalf. Click here if this applies to you."

Unfortunately I read that AFTER my spouse got his Canadian police certificate, but c'est la vie.

Reactions: fifi83 and np08

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
That confused me too! They actually updated the Document Checklist again (twice in Feb 2018) where it now quotes the following:

"If you (or a family member 18 or older) have lived in Canada the last six months, or Canada is the country where you (or they) have lived for most of your (or their) life since the age of 18, police certificates for Canada are not required at this time. IRCC will make a request for (a) Canadian police certificate(s) on your behalf. Click here if this applies to you."

Unfortunately I read that AFTER my spouse got his Canadian police certificate, but c'est la vie.
Oh, so they streamlined it so they do it agency to agency without us having to interfere in the process? That's great news and I was wondering why that wasn't a thing before since it's Canadian Immigration needing Canadian certificates.

I might call them tomorrow just to make sure and for my peace of mind (deadline to submit is April 14 for me so I still have time to do the Canadian one). It would be great if they spelled it out a bit more, lol. This isn't the first time I wasn't exactly sure what they were asking for because certain instructions can definitely be understood in more than one way. But I guess they're also used to people getting confused and making mistakes so hopefully they don't return the whole app for something like this.

softgothk

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
You should extend it at least 30 days prior to the expiration date. I would probably want to play it safe and it extend it before he leaves, that way you will have the receipt in case they give you problems at the boarder. Also, be aware that if he leaves Canada while his inland application is processing, and then is unable to come back his application will be deemed abandoned.
Thank you, he has submitted it. Fingers crossed!