+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 year program-1 year work permit

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Really feeling very sad. I had completed two years of study, each year from a separate but recognized college in Canada and was totally eligible for three years work permit. But, I'm shocked to see today that I just got one year work permit after having invested so much money into education. This is such an unfair decision from CIC. Don't know what to do. Can somebody please help me?

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
msatishxp said:
Really feeling very sad. I had completed two years of study, each year from a separate but recognized college in Canada and was totally eligible for three years work permit. But, I'm shocked to see today that I just got one year work permit after having invested so much money into education. This is such an unfair decision from CIC. Don't know what to do. Can somebody please help me?
That happend to me, did two years of study here in canada from two different colleges but i got 18 months work permit in 2014.
Then i reapplied in 2014 and they took 16 months to refuse my application. All my friends who did same studies in same colleges got 3 years work permit and i only got 18 months.

So i don't know what can you do. But i advise you contact any experienced immigration laywer not any representative. I tried everything nothing happened in my case. They rejected my work permit application right before the month my 18 month work permit got expired. Luckily i got PNP few days before my work permit got expired.

Consult with expert immigration laywer.

Were your courses online or in class?? In my case they said i had many online courses but all my other friends had same online courses.

Reactions: AlexandraO

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Ohk, that's scary. I had all in class courses. I did graduate certificate in Public Relations from Fanshawe College and grad cert in International business from Seneca College. I wonder if it's cuz of doing 2 different programs in separate colleges. Not sure, I need to find out.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
msatishxp said:
Ohk, that's scary. I had all in class courses. I did graduate certificate in Public Relations from Fanshawe College and grad cert in International business from Seneca College. I wonder if it's cuz of doing 2 different programs in separate colleges. Not sure, I need to find out.
If you did all courses inclass then you have hope. But consult with expert.
I know few of my friends who got less work permit and applied again with an explaination letter got 3 years work permit but it's 2-3 years ago..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp you will see that it's not the length of studies that qualifies you but the *length of study program*

So basically that means that a 2 year study program is not equal to two separate 1 year programs.

They do have this clause here though: If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years.

So that implies that if you take two separate 1 year programs, if you want a 3 year permit, the 2nd program must be at the graduate level.

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Yes, both of my programs were of graduate level i.e. graduate certificates. One was graduate certificate in Corporate Communication and Public Relations from Fanshawe College while my second program was graduate certificate in International Business Management from Seneca College. I don't think there were issues with course credits as well. I think I need to reapply with an explanation letter. Do u guys think CIC will refund my reapplication fees? Anyways, I ain't worried much about refund but am more worried if CIC will grant me 3 years work permit if I reapply

I had called CIC toll-free number and they put a note to grant me 3 years work permit on my behalf for the visa processing center.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msatishxp said:
Yes, both of my programs were of graduate level i.e. graduate certificates. One was graduate certificate in Corporate Communication and Public Relations from Fanshawe College while my second program was graduate certificate in International Business Management from Seneca College. I don't think there were issues with course credits as well. I think I need to reapply with an explanation letter. Do u guys think CIC will refund my reapplication fees? Anyways, I ain't worried much about refund but am more worried if CIC will grant me 3 years work permit if I reapply

I had called CIC toll-free number and they put a note to grant me 3 years work permit on my behalf for the visa processing center.
Yes, you can try re-applying and see what happens. I would advise printing out the info from the link and high lighting the info about 2 degrees and sending that with your application.

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Hey, I got my case notes that I had requested from CIC. They sent me a PDF document but I am not able to understand it. Has anyone read case notes before? In the email, they also sent a link to the Record Correction Request Form stating that I have the right to request the correction of any errors I believe to exist in any of the enclosed information which originated with Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees Canada. Do u hv an idea about this form? Also, as I said before, the CIC agent put a note for reconsideration to the visa processing centre; so, I'm waiting for CIC's reply to that note as well.

Kkb91.

Mar 12, 2016
Hi. I was a student of Niagara College. I did two courses of 1 year each i.e. Hospitality and Tourism Management & Human Resources Management , both from Niagara College. I started in Sept 2013 and finished my second course in December 2015. I applied for my pgwp on Dec 18, 2016. On March 10 I got my pgwp but only for one year. My situation is same as hours but I did both courses from same college. Both of them at graduate level. Please advise what steps you are taking .

jideomoba

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msatishxp said:
Hey, I got my case notes that I had requested from CIC. They sent me a PDF document but I am not able to understand it. Has anyone read case notes before? In the email, they also sent a link to the Record Correction Request Form stating that I have the right to request the correction of any errors I believe to exist in any of the enclosed information which originated with Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees Canada. Do u hv an idea about this form? Also, as I said before, the CIC agent put a note for reconsideration to the visa processing centre; so, I'm waiting for CIC's reply to that note as well.

hdi21c

Aug 4, 2017

Hi, I am in same situation...
I graduated 2 years diploma but I got 1 year permit.
Could you let me know how you could get the "case note" from CIC?
and do you have any advice cuz I cannot talk to agent of CIC due to high volume...:(

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
That happend to me, did two years of study here in canada from two different colleges but i got 18 months work permit in 2014.
Then i reapplied in 2014 and they took 16 months to refuse my application. All my friends who did same studies in same colleges got 3 years work permit and i only got 18 months.

So i don't know what can you do. But i advise you contact any experienced immigration laywer not any representative. I tried everything nothing happened in my case. They rejected my work permit application right before the month my 18 month work permit got expired. Luckily i got PNP few days before my work permit got expired.

Consult with expert immigration laywer.

Were your courses online or in class?? In my case they said i had many online courses but all my other friends had same online courses.
Hi Cheire,

its bad to hear such approach about PGWP.

I have question out of topic a little bit: you said you received your PNP few days before your work permit got expired.
I have similar situation now, my work permit will expire very soon and I have my PNP nomination from BC, but I was told that I can't apply for bridge work permit before AOR from CIC ( I'm only now sending docs to them with paper based application) and it takes them several months to give AOR (acknowledgment of receipt).
Can you please advise, what was your case? How you applied and received your work permit extension?

thank you,
best regards
Alexandra

Jan 23, 2018
i am planning to go for the 8 months certificate course in international business from seneca college. i already have a masters degree in computer applications. would i get a work permit after 8 months, or my work permit will only be valid for the study duration? or should i opt for the 2 year ontario college diploma?

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
I need some informations please response if you can help. My husnand's study permit and my OWP will be expired on october, 2018. We want to apply for his PGWP and my OWP extension in this July. He will be graduated for his MSc program in July or Aug. But the problem is it's tough and little bit short time period to get his job and pay slip in between July. I heard that if we couldn't be able show his full time job offer letter along with pay slip then I will get the rejection for my extension of OWP.
Now for this situation anyhow I want to stay with him so I have decided to take a 1 year certificate course in Office Administration from a college but I'm already graduated. I did bachelor in ECE from my home country.
1. So will it be possible to get the study permit if I apply for that certificate course already having an engineering degree??
2. Or should I need to apply for Visitor visa instead of applying for Study permit??
3. Which decision would be out of risk of having approval?
Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to hear from you guys.

CalvinP

Jul 25, 2019
Anyone got similar experience and what's your result? I'm planning to study two 1-year-diploma too.

Last edited: