+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…” now mandatory?

Brockster

Sep 12, 2023
For anyone that is unsure.
I had submitted just a employment pay stub dated a week before sending my application, another pay stub from the previous year and literally just a single tax notice of assessment from the previous year.

3 weeks later they started processing my application and within one week it was approved.

Don't stress about it too much and just submit a few documents as evidence and you will be good!

anasish

Aug 18, 2023
For anyone that is unsure.
I had submitted just a employment pay stub dated a week before sending my application, another pay stub from the previous year and literally just a single tax notice of assessment from the previous year.

3 weeks later they started processing my application and within one week it was approved.

Don't stress about it too much and just submit a few documents as evidence and you will be good!
When did you submit your application and when was it approved?

Brockster

Sep 12, 2023
When did you submit your application and when was it approved?
This is the exact information from the client application status

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 14, 2023.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 1, 2023.
  3. We started processing your application on September 1, 2023.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on September 8, 2023.

Reactions: anasish

ryocchin

Aug 3, 2023
Our own experience.
As the "Supporting documents", I used my most recent pay stubs and from 4 years ago, and my most recent bank statements.
My wife sent the latest bank statements, CRA Notice of Assessment for last year and 5 years ago.
We scanned them and applied online in august.
The new PR card arrived exactly 6 weeks later.

By the way, even after we have received the renewed PR cards, the processing status is still "submitted".

HarryQuake

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Our own experience.
As the "Supporting documents", I used my most recent pay stubs and from 4 years ago, and my most recent bank statements.
My wife sent the latest bank statements, CRA Notice of Assessment for last year and 5 years ago.
We scanned them and applied online in august.
The new PR card arrived exactly 6 weeks later.

By the way, even after we have received the renewed PR cards, the processing status is still "submitted".
Hi Ryocchin, Thanks for the information. When did you submit the online applications? Did you try to link the applications? If yes, when did you find you were able to link your applications?

ryocchin

Aug 3, 2023
we submitted mid in august
I am not quite sure what you mean 'to link the application'
I made an account at "Permanent Residence Portal" and sibmitted two applications for the renewal on the same account.
After submitting, they oinstantly appeared as "My Applicatons" on my account's page .

Reactions: HarryQuake

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Have you submitted your application.
Did you get any communication from IRCC about the application.
Yes I submitted on 15 August, and received the Renewed PR Card in the week of October 9-13.

However after getting the card, when I see the application status in the portal, it shows returned with a reason which is False. I choose to ignore it, I think its a bug.

Last edited:

pdoc

Star Member
May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks, thanks so much for the lively discussions on the topic.

I have a bit of a challenge here. My wife has been out of Canada for 445 in the last five years and is hence qualified for her PR renewal.

However, she is a homemaker and has not been employed during the last five years, hence pay slips are out of the question.

She has CRA tax assessments which are basically for a zero income, not sure if these would work....

The only listed evidence we have are rental agreements where she was added four years ago.

I am counting on the below from the listed supporting documents from Appendix A:
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
and planning to submit the following:
  • Rental agreement and letter from landlord that she has been on the lease for the last 4 years
  • Scans of all passport pages with immigration stamps and the flight tickets for the travels to confirm travel dates
  • CRA Tax assessments

Could you guys please weigh in on this and provide any comments/suggestions/feedback.

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great holiday!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
However, she is a homemaker and has not been employed during the last five years, hence pay slips are out of the question.

She has CRA tax assessments which are basically for a zero income, not sure if these would work....

The only listed evidence we have are rental agreements where she was added four years ago.
Nothing wrong with tax assessments that are for zero income.

Does she not have a bank account with some detailed transactions showing eg things purchased here? A phone bill with detailed call history for a month or two? Any home or school activities/memberships that show presence and participation?

Etc. If some of these, submit a few with explanation that she has primarily been a homemaker.

Reactions: pdoc

pdoc

Star Member
May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing wrong with tax assessments that are for zero income.

Does she not have a bank account with some detailed transactions showing eg things purchased here? A phone bill with detailed call history for a month or two? Any home or school activities/memberships that show presence and participation?

Etc. If some of these, submit a few with explanation that she has primarily been a homemaker.

Thanks!

She has bank statements, but there are huge gaps for months across where she did not make any purchases, particularly during COVID where most purchases were online from my accounts.

Thanks for the hint about phone bills. She has them for the entire length and we could make a good case with them. We also have memberships for some lengths of time, hopefully they will help as well.

Thanks again @armoured!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks!

She has bank statements, but there are huge gaps for months across where she did not make any purchases, particularly during COVID where most purchases were online from my accounts.

Thanks for the hint about phone bills. She has them for the entire length and we could make a good case with them. We also have memberships for some lengths of time, hopefully they will help as well.

Thanks again @armoured!
Note, they do NOT ask for complete proof of being resident every single day you attest to. They ask for evidence of residing in Canada i.e. some of the time. Submit evidence for a few different months along with, as suggested, a short letter of explanation that she is providing a few different sources as a homemaker / not having worked.

No need to overdo it by providing phone bills for the entire time - you're not trying to cover every month. Evidence that she resided, normally, in Canada some of the time. If they need more they will ask for it.

If she's been filing, NOAs as resident and a couple different types of evidence from different points in time will probably be enough.

Reactions: pdoc

pdoc

Star Member
May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Note, they do NOT ask for complete proof of being resident every single day you attest to. They ask for evidence of residing in Canada i.e. some of the time. Submit evidence for a few different months along with, as suggested, a short letter of explanation that she is providing a few different sources as a homemaker / not having worked.

No need to overdo it by providing phone bills for the entire time - you're not trying to cover every month. Evidence that she resided, normally, in Canada some of the time. If they need more they will ask for it.

If she's been filing, NOAs as resident and a couple different types of evidence from different points in time will probably be enough.
Good suggestions, went back to the instruction guide and have the same impression, thanks so much! I will keep posted here how it goes.

As has been said on this forum, that set of instructions can at the least use some wordsmithing for clarity.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks!

Thanks again @armoured!
Would also learn for next time. It is important for her to have proof of being in Canada so actively using her bank card for example given she doesn’t work or she could also start working or volunteering outside the home.