Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
Has CIC indicated whether they prefer forms to be completed online or by hand? Does it make a difference?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
julies879 said:
Has CIC indicated whether they prefer forms to be completed online or by hand? Does it make a difference?
it doesn't matter. it's what is easiest for you. i hand wrote my application and submitted extra info typed up and printed out.

ICLDRIR

Aug 26, 2014
Illiasnie said:
My husband and I are applying outland from the U.S. He crosses once every other week or so these days, so I wouldn't say that crossing less really makes much of a difference. I think the main thing is being able to prove that you plan on going back to the states. These days, he usually shows up at the border and they ask where he's heading this time and that's more or less it. He always crosses at the ambassador bridge and I'm pretty sure they all know him pretty well these days.
Here's the rub: My wife (the Canadian) will already be in Canada, and I (the American) will want to join her two months after she moves here. If my outbound PR application isn't completed by Sept, then can I still enter Canada? I won't have much proof that I want to go back to the States because, in fact, I wouldn't want to go back to the States -- I would want to join my wife and kid in Canada by that point! I won't have a rent/mortgage, and my school/work will be over. So...how do I frame this at the border? Any thoughts appreciated!

Illiasnie

Star Member
Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 24, 2015
AOR Received.
August 26, 2015
File Transfer...
September 18, 2015
Med's Request
Up front
Med's Done....
July 6, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 17, 2016
LANDED..........
Planning for May 14
It really depends on who your border guard is. When my husband came up in 2011 (he lived here for 3 years before we did our PR) he came with his previous paystubs and said that he was returning to work after a vacation. They let him cross even though he had our two cats in the car with him. On the other hand, some people have trouble no matter what the circumstances. The only option is to try and show that you still have ties to the U.S. even if you don't, and if you can go very shortly after completing work so you still have recent paystubs, that might help.

ICLDRIR

Aug 26, 2014
Illiasnie said:
It really depends on who your border guard is. When my husband came up in 2011 (he lived here for 3 years before we did our PR) he came with his previous paystubs and said that he was returning to work after a vacation. They let him cross even though he had our two cats in the car with him. On the other hand, some people have trouble no matter what the circumstances. The only option is to try and show that you still have ties to the U.S. even if you don't, and if you can go very shortly after completing work so you still have recent paystubs, that might help.
Thanks for the info!

A slightly related question: if I am applying for outland PR from the US but I'm physically present in Canada while awaiting the decision, and the decision comes and I'm granted PR -- do I have to exit Canada and come back in to "land"?

Also -- do I have to send off my US passport to get a PR visa in order to land, or not? I've read different things on the forum, it confuses me a bit.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
You could go the border and flagpole to land, or you can book an appointment at a CIC office to land but that can take weeks so most people flagpole.

And you're American so there won't be a passport request.

Paguy57

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
02-21-2016 DM You are approved and have received confirmation of Permanent Resident...
LANDED..........
17-03-2016
ICLDRIR said:
Thanks for the info!

A slightly related question: if I am applying for outland PR from the US but I'm physically present in Canada while awaiting the decision, and the decision comes and I'm granted PR -- do I have to exit Canada and come back in to "land"?

Also -- do I have to send off my US passport to get a PR visa in order to land, or not? I've read different things on the forum, it confuses me a bit.
Being American you are passport exempt. You will not need to send in your passport. Your COPR will arrive in the mail to the address listed on your CIC account. Your will do what they call flag poling. Once your have your COPR in hand you will need to exit Canada and reenter.

ICLDRIR

Aug 26, 2014
Paguy57 said:
Being American you are passport exempt. You will not need to send in your passport. Your COPR will arrive in the mail to the address listed on your CIC account. Your will do what they call flag poling. Once your have your COPR in hand you will need to exit Canada and reenter.
So then...Can I change my address in CIC to a Canadian address if I am physically in Canada waiting for my outland US PR? Or must it be an American address?

Flagpoling means...exiting and immediately reentering? Too bad we're going somewhere far north of the border!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ICLDRIR said:
So then...Can I change my address in CIC to a Canadian address if I am physically in Canada waiting for my outland US PR? Or must it be an American address?

Flagpoling means...exiting and immediately reentering? Too bad we're going somewhere far north of the border!
Yes, you can change your address to a Canadian address.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
ICLDRIR said:

I am also far north of a border. Received my COPR in the USA while visiting in Canada. If I am correct, you cannot flagpole at the airport, only on land because you must leave Canada and renter and airports are not a border.
I will fly to the USA to get my things and drive for a week to reach my Canadian home and will land when I cross the border. Even a CIC office would be an eight hour drive from where I am in Canada.

Firecat

Mar 11, 2016
Hi guys

Trying to figure out the best strategy.

I'm a Canadian citizen by birth and now a US citizen. My wife is South African and now a conditional permanent resident in the USA

She was a PR in 2004 but the card expired in 2009. She has been living in SA since 2004-2015 when she immigrated to the US.

I was planning on returning to live in Canada later this year (September). Should she renounce her current PR and have me sponsor her from the USA. How long would that take?

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
My husband [the Canadian citizen] is sponsoring me [the American citizen]. We have lived in the States since October 2010 and are sponsoring outland.

We are getting close to having all of our stuff together but I am still so confused about the Notice of Assessment that is mentioned. We have no co signer and he has had no income in Canada since 2010. On the document checklist it says that if we don't supply a Notice of Assessment, we have to provide an explanation.

What do we do/how do we proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated!

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
Just got this email from Ottawa. Has anyone else gotten anything similar? It seems straight forward enough, but just to make sure, they are asking for a photocopy of my passport which has at least 6 months before expiring and also an updated address of where I am living? Can I send both back together in a reply to this email? It says I can for the client information but not for the passport, so does that need to be a hard copy, because I thought Americans were exempt from sending in their passport?

I basically want to make extra sure that I am understanding this correctly if anyone can advise! I tend to overthink this whole application process and I get so nervous I will mess it up!

Also does this mean they've almost made a decision?! My heart is going so fast, I'm very excited! Thanks everyone!

"Dear Kara

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

Kara Leigh Wenz:
Passport/Travel Document: Please provide a photocopy of an updated and valid passport with the validity of at least 6 months.

Client Information: Client Information: Please provide us with an updated residence history for the past 6 month .This information can be provided via reply to this email correspondence

Please note:

All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

The above information/documents must be received in our office within7 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal and/or delay of your application.

Additional documents may be requested by the Visa Officer upon the complete assessment of your application.

If we have asked you to send us several documents, you are required to submit all the documents together. Do not send documents one at a time. You should include your name and file number (which is indicated in the subject line) in all your correspondence.

We do not acknowledge receipt of mail or documents. If you send mail by courier to our office and you want to ensure that it has arrived, please check with the courier company. We will not respond to enquiries asking to confirm receipt of documents/emails/ information.

If you are unable to submit the requested document(s) within the timeframe given, you must notify our office before the due date ­and you must provide an explanation as to why you are unable to submit the documents within the given timeframe.

If you do not answer all questions and provide all the documents requested, this will cause delays in the processing of your application. If a question does not apply to you please write 'N/A' or 'Not Applicable.' Do not leave the answer blank. You must answer all questions in English or French.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide our office is accurate and up-to-date. Please inform us immediately if there are any changes to the information or documents you have submitted.

If we do not receive a response within the time allotted to you from the date of this notice, a decision will be made based on the information on your file, which could result in the refusal of your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada."

thejeon

Oct 31, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2016-01-21
AOR Received.
2016-03-03
File Transfer...
2016-03-15
Med's Done....
2015-11-20
kdubbs said:
Just got this email from Ottawa. Has anyone else gotten anything similar? It seems straight forward enough, but just to make sure, they are asking for a photocopy of my passport which has at least 6 months before expiring and also an updated address of where I am living? Can I send both back together in a reply to this email? It says I can for the client information but not for the passport, so does that need to be a hard copy, because I thought Americans were exempt from sending in their passport?

I basically want to make extra sure that I am understanding this correctly if anyone can advise! I tend to overthink this whole application process and I get so nervous I will mess it up!

Also does this mean they've almost made a decision?! My heart is going so fast, I'm very excited! Thanks everyone!

"Dear Kara

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

Kara Leigh Wenz:
Passport/Travel Document: Please provide a photocopy of an updated and valid passport with the validity of at least 6 months.

Client Information: Client Information: Please provide us with an updated residence history for the past 6 month .This information can be provided via reply to this email correspondence

Please note:

All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

The above information/documents must be received in our office within7 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal and/or delay of your application.

Additional documents may be requested by the Visa Officer upon the complete assessment of your application.

If we have asked you to send us several documents, you are required to submit all the documents together. Do not send documents one at a time. You should include your name and file number (which is indicated in the subject line) in all your correspondence.

We do not acknowledge receipt of mail or documents. If you send mail by courier to our office and you want to ensure that it has arrived, please check with the courier company. We will not respond to enquiries asking to confirm receipt of documents/emails/ information.

If you are unable to submit the requested document(s) within the timeframe given, you must notify our office before the due date ­and you must provide an explanation as to why you are unable to submit the documents within the given timeframe.

If you do not answer all questions and provide all the documents requested, this will cause delays in the processing of your application. If a question does not apply to you please write 'N/A' or 'Not Applicable.' Do not leave the answer blank. You must answer all questions in English or French.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide our office is accurate and up-to-date. Please inform us immediately if there are any changes to the information or documents you have submitted.

If we do not receive a response within the time allotted to you from the date of this notice, a decision will be made based on the information on your file, which could result in the refusal of your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada."

You are correct in your understanding what they are requiring of you. They are not asking for your original passport, just a photocopy of it. I assume they will require that photocopy to be mailed to them versus being scanned and e-mailed.

Did you not include a photocopy of your passport in the application? I'm just curious about their ask.

Hopefully this does mean you're getting close. Good luck!!

kdubbs

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
22-12-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 26-03-2016
thejeon said:
You are correct in your understanding what they are requiring of you. They are not asking for your original passport, just a photocopy of it. I assume they will require that photocopy to be mailed to them versus being scanned and e-mailed.

Did you not include a photocopy of your passport in the application? I'm just curious about their ask.

Hopefully this does mean you're getting close. Good luck!!
I did send a photocopy of my passport with the application. I think the reason might be because the expire date was going to be in August of this year, 2016. Last month I went ahead and took care of renewing it and just got my new one in the mail.

Its just confusing that they did not specifically request a hard photocopy be sent in. They also didn't give me any type of address to send it to. So I guess I need to look up the Ottawa visa office and hope it's the right address and send a copy express mail and hope it gets to the right place in 7 days :eek: