01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Auone said:
@ zizu With respect to your open work permit, the protectoral stamp inside your passport mentions the name of the employer aswell, so again, I don't know how your case will proceed at the protectoral office. My wife will also be applying for owp on spousal visa basis. So please let me know how you proceed.
I'll let u know as soon as I get it .... Thanks to u know who :) pakistan will be at a standstill for 6 days... So I'll have to go next Monday to try my luck :)

zizu

mohd000

May 21, 2013
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
29-11-2013 RCMP;3-03-2014 MARRIAGE QUESTIONARE
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
request to change vo for spouse
LANDED..........
11-08-2014
I filed my application under CEC got AOR in August 2013. I got my BOWP in Septmeber 2013 valid for 1 year.
I am getting married soon and adding my spouse under CEC application.
What are my options to bring her to canada ?
My job is under NOC B and working fulltime permanent.
Do she is elligible for open workpermit or not? or can she apply for open workpermit outside canada?

or i have to apply visit visa for her to bring her ?

Please help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mohd000 said:
I filed my application under CEC got AOR in August 2013. I got my BOWP in Septmeber 2013 valid for 1 year.
I am getting married soon and adding my spouse under CEC application.
What are my options to bring her to canada ?
My job is under NOC B and working fulltime permanent.
Do she is elligible for open workpermit or not? or can she apply for open workpermit outside canada?

or i have to apply visit visa for her to bring her ?

Please help.
She can apply for "Open work permit" while you are still on Closed work permit since you are skilled and in NOC Category B. I am not really sure about bridged open work permit thing. Generally speaking if spouse is applying for permanent resident status, then first and foremost she should also be included as part of the application. Then if the permanent processing thing takes longer, you can meanwhile get her an open work permit.

Without an application for permanent residency in place for the spouse while you already have filed yours, it makes little sense to apply for open work permit.

Beware this is mostly my opinion based upon what i have read so far. You should consult formal documentation for bridged work permits.

However, you can easily read about "eligibility of open work permits" in CIC's FAQ section

AKJECP

Mar 20, 2013
fkl said:
There is no money requirement in terms of min cash that you need to take along as per my knowledge.

Rather if you are carrying more than 10k CAD you have to tell them in advance (i.e. before they discover themselves).

You should rather be concerned about other things i.e. where would you stay, having contact info of employer etc. Since your case is an owp you probably need enough docs and should know the details of your sponsoring spouse.

I have read about people who are moving to Canada on immigration and without jobs with no one to support them carrying some where near 10k CAD. I suppose you are fine with even 1-2 k as well unless you need money to support your self there right after landing.

Just by the way, when did you take your medicals? Also were you applying for a single person or along with family?

Dear fkl

Eid Mubarak!! and Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. Sorry for replying late, due to EID holidays i could not check my email.......

Any ways, I went through my medicals along with my family on 18th September. I did not receive approval email fro CHC Islamabad. I received SMS by Gerry Visa office on 10th October eve for visa collection and collected my passports on 11-10-2013 form Gerry Office G-9 Islamabad.

Regards

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Khair Mubarak AKJECP,

and thanks for sharing your details. It helps to know that CIC processed medicals with family with that time line.

Regards,

AKJECP said:
Dear fkl

Eid Mubarak!! and Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. Sorry for replying late, due to EID holidays i could not check my email.......

Any ways, I went through my medicals along with my family on 18th September. I did not receive approval email fro CHC Islamabad. I received SMS by Gerry Visa office on 10th October eve for visa collection and collected my passports on 11-10-2013 form Gerry Office G-9 Islamabad.

Regards

MMX

Star Member
Oct 11, 2012
Aoa brothers/sisters,
I have applied for my wife for an OWP online. We have applied through CHC Islamabad. I am an international student who has been accepted at a Canadian university and have obtained my visa for Jan 2014 as well.

I wanted to ask if the processing time of my wife is around 8 months as mentioned for WP applications on CIC website for CHC islamabad or is it 51 days for TRV.

I am not sure about this as this is an OWP and not a closed WP, so this application might be treated differently. Maybe someone can clarify this.

Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
WS MMX,

In one line, time frame for "work permit" application would apply for OWP.

However, in practice it is generally not actually 8-9 months, unless you are really unfortunate for reasons or so. If you have a decent open and shut kind of case with credible docs, and apply at a time of year when CIC Islamabad is not havily occupied with say study visa applications (generally march-july) for sep in take, you should be done in like 2+ months.

Currently the embassy is with a much lower work load so it is a good time to apply asap and you might get through in 2-3 months (or even a little less if you are lucky) Insha Allah.

Lastly, you said you have already obtained your student visa. If you had money to show to support your family (since going on study visa with spouse adds some more minimum account to be shown in your account), then it would have been far better to apply TOGETHER. That way you would have gotten your spousal owp along with you and possibly much earlier.

Usually either people apply together as a family OR they apply after the principal applicant has already been in Canada. It is kinda unusual for some one to obtain his own visa first, they latter apply for family while actually before going himself. So may be it is good idea to state reasons for that as part of your application.

All the best

MMX

Star Member
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you for the detailed reply fkl brother. I have already applied for my wife online on 19th Nov. We didnt apply together as it might appear like we will not come back. Thats why in the first go, I applied for my visa and now I have applied for her. I will be going to Canada in December. Hopefully, as you said this time is good for getting responses quickly, so I would hear something soon from the embassy.

We have funds of around 40k CAD, so I believe that should be ok. Now it depends on the VO how he looks at it. My wife has also done a 2 years Masters in Early Childhood, so that might also be considered a positive thing for her OWP. Lets see...

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
No problem! Hope that works out for you.

Just a little elaboration on the topic, "it might look like we won't be coming back". Truth is, CHC knows very well that chances of any one going there on a temp worker / student status of coming back are quite rare. One way or the other every one would apply for PR at some stage. It is naive to believe they think otherwise given that they deal with many applications. The actual concept in my opinion behind "Not coming back" is "If you are not able to stay there legally (say denied PR or couldn't get work permit extension), will you come back OR would you still prefer trying to find an illegal way to stay?" Of course there would always be people who just don't like Canada or don't want to leave their home country. But given the current situations, my take is that they would be in a very small number.

So i think one's profession, experience, and living conditions i.e. employ ability in Pakistan would play a role here. For instance, i work in IT and make a pretty good living in Pakistan too. Practically speaking ANY job in Canada which is not legal would pay less and probably i can make better money than that in Pakistan. So it only makes sense to live in Canada when one has a legal status. On the other hand, for a live in caregiver the situation might be different.

Moral of above, it is perfectly okay to apply with family as long as you appear to be the kind who won't over stay unless you have a legal way to do it.

However, it certainly might add additional processing requirements and time.

The above is just my opinion based upon what i have seen so far. Hope that helps in some way.

MMX

Star Member
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the elaboration, seems quite logical, have always wondered on that part. Your elaboration has cleared my confusion. As for me, I have been on visas to europe and other countries for training from my company and have never overstayed there. I have a respectable earning here. So much that, my wife has not been doing any job since completing her Masters in 2012.

We do not plan that she works as a live in care-giver when we are in Canada, I only want her to accompany me to Canada during my studies as we do not have any kids and she would be feeling lonely here. Thats what we also have mentioned in the cover letter.

So does it make things bad if we have not shown her employ-ability in Pakistan?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sure, i am glad it was useful and i also have several similarities. Having visited other countries and coming back certainly plays a positive role here. So does representing a good income job in Pakistan.

Your explanation is realistic too. The only thing i find odd is that you are applying for open work permit, so you shouldn't explicitly say that you do not intend to work at all for her, even if that is the plan or is taken as a 'just in case' situation.

My spouse also has an MBA albeit 7+ years old with some work experience and we have 3 kids, two of which are toddlers. So neither she works in Pakistan, nor there is any chance that she would work any time sooner. However, we still applied for owp, since having work authorization doesn't hurt, plus the validity of owp precisely coincides with that of wp. Where as temp resident visa with visit intentions might be issued for shorter duration and hence would add the hassle of renewal.

For young kids, one doesn't have any other option except temp resident visas. But CIC caters that sort of unofficially and issues multiple entry trvs for children lasting equally longer. However, i have known at least one case in which the applicant by mistake applied for SINGLE entry trv for kids, so it was issued with 6 months validity only where as parents trv+work permit of course was of much longer validity.

So it is perfectly fine NOT to have any employment experience in Pakistan for a dependent. Remember she is not the principal applicant.

MMX

Star Member
Oct 11, 2012
You are right, I did not mention any such thing that she would not work there.
In fact, she might as well work there depending on the situation then. We believe there is no harm in her working there if we could get a suitable job for her.

What I meant to say was that we do not plan that she works as a live in care-giver as that would mean she would have to live at her employer's place which might not be suitable for us as we want to live together.

Secondly, I get a feeling that applying on an OWP increases the chances of getting visa. Perhaps its just my feeling, I don't know for sure. I have just come across a couple of cases on the forum where people were denied TRV for spouse and later got approval for OWP. So that's another reason for applying for OWP.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I would second that feeling of owp with better chances of approval. For one, owp at least shows some intention clearly of the purpose of visit rather than a trv. Secondly, it requires docs showing the applicant's profile better i.e. academic qualifications, work experiences etc. show a better image of a person rather than just some one going on a visit with no idea about his / her language skills or educational qualifications.

In fact because owp does not require you to have a job offer in advance and you can do any thing there as long as it is legal (whether a low skilled job like live-in caregiver or a high tech skilled job), hence i think it is more like a certificate to live with your spouse in the longer run (as long as spouse is there) with the legal approval to work.

arif.jabbar

Feb 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I submitted online my wife OWP application on the basis of she and I have been nominated by province. While submitting the online application, it didn't ask for police certificate. Should I submit police certificate by mail? I do have a application file number?

Has any got OWP without police certificate?

Thank you.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
arif.jabbar said:
Hello all,

I submitted online my wife OWP application on the basis of she and I have been nominated by province. While submitting the online application, it didn't ask for police certificate. Should I submit police certificate by mail? I do have a application file number?

Has any got OWP without police certificate?

Thank you.
I think you should email a scanned copy of police certificate along with details like File number, Name, DOB, Passport number etc. I haven't heard of any one from Pakistan who can get application processed with out it. Not sure it is the case with other countries, but since you are posting on a thread specific to Pakistan, i believe your visa office is Islamabad. Remember, this is irrespective of whether you have applied online or on paper.