+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and Post Graduate Work Permit at the Same time - Discuss here

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Purba said:
It will be really great if you could tell me what form you used to apply for the study permit. Currently, I live in Canada and have a PGWP and will be going back to school in September (the job market sucks lol). Is it the IMM 5709 form (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student)? Also how long did the online application process take?
Why you want to go back to school if you if you have PGWP? It wont help you to get another PGWP.

Here is list of documents you have to provide to get study permit:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

Here is processing time:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Purba

Mar 30, 2013
Goku said:
Why you want to go back to school if you if you have PGWP? It wont help you to get another PGWP.
Thanks but this is not the right application for me. Also I don't want another PGWP, I just need a study permit.

This is for everyone: If you want to apply for your study permit from within Canada and you hold a temporary resident permit (like PGWP), you should use the form IMM 5709. I discovered it after a lot of googling. The CIC website is awful and not very clearcut.

janeloveeasy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope someone can help me with my question.

I work as a staff accountant too.
but when I applied my study permit to study CGA, I use accounting technician as my job title on the schedule. As you know, its not allowed this job title anymore.

now I wants to apply CEC. do you think if will affect my application? Should I explain them why? because that was not the official job title from my job reference letter?

t3kids

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hi everyone,
Please i need help.I have a PGWP expiring in March 2016.I want to go back to study and need to apply for my SP. I am wondering if I can still work full time after my PGWP expires in March because I am already working or will they make me work only 20 hours. I am hoping I can study part-time and work full time.

PLease help. :(

sunilm

Sep 5, 2015
Hi All,

My wife was in Canada for the past 2 years to purse her Post graduation and applied for PGWP but she exited the country without even getting the PGWP and now her student permit also got expired.

So, will be able to apply for a student visa to re-enter the country or wait for the CIC to update her status (Its been more 4 months that she applied for the work permit and yet to receive the status)

Can somebody please suggest the best possible way to re-enter the country

Thanks

Sagaar

Jul 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am in a terrible situation! I have been in a PGWP since 2014 and I have been studying part-time at the same time all these time without a study permit. What do I do now?

Please help ASAP!

Thank you.

Toma1993

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am in a terrible situation! I have been in a PGWP since 2014 and I have been studying part-time at the same time all these time without a study permit. What do I do now?

Please help ASAP!

Thank you.

wow! when does your PGWP expires?

Sagaar

Jul 22, 2012
wow! when does your PGWP expires?
My PGWP expired on June 1. But now I reapplied and managed get received Study Permit. My ISSUE is I applied for Express Entry and received ITA. I have been studying part time for 2 years and acquired second degree with my PGWP. My application for PR is currently in Process. I was working full time for 2 years with my PGWP. What do I do? Am I automatically disqualified now since I was not allowed to study part time under PGWP? I didn't know.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My PGWP expired on June 1. But now I reapplied and managed get received Study Permit. My ISSUE is I applied for Express Entry and received ITA. I have been studying part time for 2 years and acquired second degree with my PGWP. My application for PR is currently in Process. I was working full time for 2 years with my PGWP. What do I do? Am I automatically disqualified now since I was not allowed to study part time under PGWP? I didn't know.
You very well could be, IRCC seems to be less tolerant of such violations at the moment. I'm amazed that your institution allowed this, they screwed up too.

I suggest the following - first, go speak with someone in the international student office at the institution where you did your unauthorized study. Second, consider a consultation with a lawyer.

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Congrats on AOR!

This thread was discussing about PGWP holders. You can get study permit with no problem. If you are work permit holder but apply for visitor visa, then you will be in trouble.
Hi,

Please help me in my critical situation!

CURRENT SITUATION:
My current status is PGWP expiring on 15/August/2017. My CSQ QSW application is under processing since Jan/2016 and recently I submitted EE profile is now on the pool with CRS 410( some more points 20 will be added with wife's ECA probably by the end of this month).

NOW:
I am planning to submit my study permit application( studying same level AEC diploma that I had done previous time in Montreal) again to extend my stay.

My question:
1.Is there any chance of get refuse as I am now on PGWP!!
2. Is there any chance of get refuse as I am studying same level diploma?
3. Is there any chance of get refuse as I am applying study permit inside Canada?
4. Should I apply for visitor visa instead of study permit at the border?
5. Should I move to Ontario and apply for study permit there where I am planning to stay if I am accepted on EE?

Prompt help will be much appreciated!

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Hi saadt

Yes, you can have a study permit and PGWP at the same time. I applied for and received my PGWP in June 2011 and also had a study permit issued to me at the same time. I was working full time and studying part time and CIC did not have a problem with it. In May 2012, my study permit expired and I reapplied for a study permit and was issued one without any issues (I was working full time when I applied for the study permit).

As long as you have a PGWP and a study permit, you can work and study at the same time without any issues.

Hi,

CURRENT SITUATION:
My current status is PGWP expiring on 15/August/2017. My CSQ QSW application is under processing since Jan/2016 and recently I submitted EE profile is now on the pool with CRS 410( some more points 20 will be added with wife's ECA probably by the end of this month).

NOW:
I am planning to submit my study permit application( studying same level AEC diploma that I had done previous time in Montreal) again to extend my stay.

My question:
3. Is there any chance of get refuse as I am applying study permit inside Canada?

Thank you for your time!

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Yeah you don't. I worked for 2.5 years on my PGWP and now am back to being a student. There are no issues. I was recently issued a study permit as well in October 2013.
Hi Akhan127,

CURRENT SITUATION:

NOW:

My question:

Thank you for your time!

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
It will be really great if you could tell me what form you used to apply for the study permit. Currently, I live in Canada and have a PGWP and will be going back to school in September (the job market sucks lol). Is it the IMM 5709 form (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student)? Also how long did the online application process take?
Hi,

Did you get your study permit after your PGWP expires?

BilalJunaidy

Sep 17, 2017
I want to share my experience here. I applied study permit while holding pgwp as work permit is not enough for me to study full time as a CGA student.

I know for sp, I need some proof of enrolment so I emailed CGA for a letter stating my needs for study permit. CGA gave me the letter and I got my closed study permit (allow me to study only at CGa) with no problem.

A SP will not void a worker status. Think it this way, why would CIC prevent you from pursuing further education while you can contribute more to canada after you get your designation and pr?

Hope this helps :D
Hey,

Thanks for the information.
What exactly did you ask CGA to write down in the letter they sent you?
I am planning on starting my CPA PEP modules, and I feel that I need a study permit, so thats why I am asking.
Thanks

bee23

Dec 27, 2017
Did you ever get your pr after