+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and Post Graduate Work Permit at the Same time - Discuss here

saadt

Star Member
Mar 1, 2012
It says holder of work permit.......now there are different kinds of work permit.........coop work permit, post graduate work permit, off campus work permit.........which one is this talking about?

I guess I just wait and hope for the best. I have already gotten my AOR on Nov 2nd. I expect to get medical somewhere in june.

sandrazelda

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 21, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 21, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 5, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2013
Passport Req..
Jan 10, 2014 (DM on Dec 5, 2013)
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan 25, 2014
saadt said:
It says holder of work permit.......now there are different kinds of work permit.........coop work permit, post graduate work permit, off campus work permit.........which one is this talking about?

I guess I just wait and hope for the best. I have already gotten my AOR on Nov 2nd. I expect to get medical somewhere in june.
Congrats on AOR!

This thread was discussing about PGWP holders. You can get study permit with no problem. If you are work permit holder but apply for visitor visa, then you will be in trouble.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
sandrazelda said:
Congrats on AOR!

This thread was discussing about PGWP holders. You can get study permit with no problem. If you are work permit holder but apply for visitor visa, then you will be in trouble.
I didnt got your point...."but apply for visitor visa, then you will be in trouble" what do u mean by that

sandrazelda

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 21, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 21, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 5, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan 25, 2014
dukhi said:
I didnt got your point...."but apply for visitor visa, then you will be in trouble" what do u mean by that
If you have work permit, it's okay to apply for study permit since the study permit won't cancel your worker status. One of my friend, she left Canada after applying PGWP but never received the PGWP. Once she needed to come back for some urgent stuff but without PGWP she applied under visitor (not sure why she did that...), then the visa officer told her that her worker status with Canada would be cancelled if she insisted on applying as visitor.

akhan127

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
11-02-2014 RPRF Request..: 31-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
LANDED..........
17-04-2014
saadt said:
Okay guys I believe this is one of the most confused topic and I still haven't gotten any convincing answer. I have seen the comments of some people saying that your work permit will get voided if you apply for study permit. Now where is this written on CIC website? Can anyone prove it?

Why would they give us study permit if we already have post graduate work permit and they know that we must be working full time currently? Doesn't make sense

So if a person is working full time on post graduate work permit and lets say he decides to do CGA and he applies for study permit and gets it, does he have to immediately stop working?

If a person is working on post graduate work permit and gets a study permit for CGA and then after one year applies for CEC immigration, does that mean he will get rejection and his one year of experience is wasted?

I have called CIC 3 times and all 3 times they told me study permit will not affect your post graduate work permit and you can apply for CEC immigration without any problem. Why would they say that and still some people would get rejection?

Please discuss

thanks
Hi saadt

Yes, you can have a study permit and PGWP at the same time. I applied for and received my PGWP in June 2011 and also had a study permit issued to me at the same time. I was working full time and studying part time and CIC did not have a problem with it. In May 2012, my study permit expired and I reapplied for a study permit and was issued one without any issues (I was working full time when I applied for the study permit).

As long as you have a PGWP and a study permit, you can work and study at the same time without any issues.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
saadt said:
Okay guys I believe this is one of the most confused topic and I still haven't gotten any convincing answer. I have seen the comments of some people saying that your work permit will get voided if you apply for study permit. Now where is this written on CIC website? Can anyone prove it?

Why would they give us study permit if we already have post graduate work permit and they know that we must be working full time currently? Doesn't make sense
Two different circumstances.

In the first, if you have a study permit that you originally obtained overseas, it is likely tied to a specific institution or program - and then you graduate and you're done. Since the study permit was specific to that program, like a closed work permit, you can't use it elsewhere (if it has those conditions specified).

When you apply for a PGWP, you apply for a Change of Conditions to stay as a worker - you have to provide evidence that your program is completed, that you have or will graduate - you're done with the purpose that the study permit was originally issued. Your status changes from student to worker, the work permit replaces the study permit.

In the second circumstance, you are applying for a study permit from within Canada while you are already working - different situation, you are not using the study permit to come to Canada. (Not continuing to use the old study permit before you got the PGWP).

My point is that like work permits, there are various conditions for study permits.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

saadt

Star Member
Mar 1, 2012
so basically I don't have to worry about my CEC application right? Since I applied for study permit within Canada after getting post graduate work permit.

sandrazelda

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 21, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 21, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 5, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan 25, 2014
saadt said:
so basically I don't have to worry about my CEC application right? Since I applied for study permit within Canada after getting post graduate work permit.
No, you don't have to worry about your application. I did exactly what you did and I landed now.

akhan127

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
11-02-2014 RPRF Request..: 31-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
LANDED..........
17-04-2014
saadt said:
Yeah you don't. I worked for 2.5 years on my PGWP and now am back to being a student. There are no issues. I was recently issued a study permit as well in October 2013.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
guri3577 said:
The condition on PGWP is like any other condition. For instance, on study permit it says "Cannot work unless authorized" when one gets work permit they are able to work. Same thing applies to PGWP when it says " Cannot study unless authorized" it means you need to have a valid study permit to study. Hope this helps!
Exactly, as stated, if you apply for a FULL TIME study permit and then apply for working FULL TIME that is simply not possible. But that is for getting the permits. If the officer issued the permits, then you are entitled to do as you please, they already gave permission.

sandrazelda said:
If you have work permit, it's okay to apply for study permit since the study permit won't cancel your worker status. One of my friend, she left Canada after applying PGWP but never received the PGWP. Once she needed to come back for some urgent stuff but without PGWP she applied under visitor (not sure why she did that...), then the visa officer told her that her worker status with Canada would be cancelled if she insisted on applying as visitor.
I think that some facts are missing. I have a work permit and a visitor visa, the reason is my country is required to have a visitor visa regardless of the work permit. The work permits allows me to work here, period. The visitor visa allows me to enter Canada. Two different things, two different papers.

When you enter Canada you are required to provide the permission to enter the country (the VISA) then you are required to prove what you are going to do (work permit, study permit, etc.).

lesley

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, I have a friend, she is holding a PGWP and now working fulltime but she wants to quit her current full-time job and go back to study, but the questions she wanst to ask is:

1. Does she still can keep her PGWP, or does she have to apply for the Study Permit?
2. But If she cannot keep her PGWP, is that mean when after her study finished again, can she still apply back for her PGWP so that she can stay in Canada and in future she can apply for the permanent resident cause she has had the PGWP previousely. Does the amount of time she stayed and worked in Canada before count?

Lesley

sandrazelda

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 21, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 21, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 5, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan 25, 2014
lesley said:
Hi, I have a friend, she is holding a PGWP and now working fulltime but she wants to quit her current full-time job and go back to study, but the questions she wanst to ask is:

1. Does she still can keep her PGWP, or does she have to apply for the Study Permit?
2. But If she cannot keep her PGWP, is that mean when after her study finished again, can she still apply back for her PGWP so that she can stay in Canada and in future she can apply for the permanent resident cause she has had the PGWP previousely. Does the amount of time she stayed and worked in Canada before count?

Lesley
In my understanding:

1. she can keep PGWP but if she wishes to study full time, she needs to apply for study permit

2. If after her study and she still has enough time on her PGWP, she can work on PGWP. PGWP is a once in a life time thing, she cannot apply for another one if it expires. When she accumulates 1 year experience, including her current job if it qualifies and not expires at the time she applies, the amount of time counts towards experience. If her PGWP expires at the time she finishes her study, she probably needs to apply for labour market option.

So if your friend wants to apply for PR, I would recommend she accumulates enough counted experience on her current PGWP before she goes back to school. Once she has one year experience she can quit her job. It just seems easier this way.

Immigration policy is changing all the time. Better to submit the application sooner than later.

Seniors, please correct me if I'm wrong in any of the above points. thanks.

Purba

Mar 30, 2013
akhan127 said:
Hi saadt

Yes, you can have a study permit and PGWP at the same time. I applied for and received my PGWP in June 2011 and also had a study permit issued to me at the same time. I was working full time and studying part time and CIC did not have a problem with it. In May 2012, my study permit expired and I reapplied for a study permit and was issued one without any issues (I was working full time when I applied for the study permit).

As long as you have a PGWP and a study permit, you can work and study at the same time without any issues.
It will be really great if you could tell me what form you used to apply for the study permit. Currently, I live in Canada and have a PGWP and will be going back to school in September (the job market sucks lol). Is it the IMM 5709 form (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student)? Also how long did the online application process take?