+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and Post Graduate Work Permit at the Same time - Discuss here

saadt

Star Member
Mar 1, 2012
Okay guys I believe this is one of the most confused topic and I still haven't gotten any convincing answer. I have seen the comments of some people saying that your work permit will get voided if you apply for study permit. Now where is this written on CIC website? Can anyone prove it?

Why would they give us study permit if we already have post graduate work permit and they know that we must be working full time currently? Doesn't make sense

So if a person is working full time on post graduate work permit and lets say he decides to do CGA and he applies for study permit and gets it, does he have to immediately stop working?

If a person is working on post graduate work permit and gets a study permit for CGA and then after one year applies for CEC immigration, does that mean he will get rejection and his one year of experience is wasted?

I have called CIC 3 times and all 3 times they told me study permit will not affect your post graduate work permit and you can apply for CEC immigration without any problem. Why would they say that and still some people would get rejection?

Please discuss

thanks

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
I think the lack of answers is because there's no consistent answer - it's an ambiguous situation.

The problem is the PGWP usually has a stated condition that you're not authorized to study. So that's where, if you did study, it technically violates the condition printed on the PGWP and work becomes authorized.

I've seen different opinions - I've heard that if you have a valid study permit, regardless of what's printed on your PGWP, it doesn't violate the PGWP. I've also heard the opposite as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to delay enrolling in the CGA program until after either you obtained permanent residence (obviously not an ideal solution).

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
Hi saadt.

i have some question wanna ask you. hope you can see this message and reply to me.

i am currently working in an accounting firm and wanna take the cpa course. i already sent my transcript to cpa office to review. and i am applicable for cpa pep.

but i am also an international student and my study permit already expired. cpa said if i wanna go for cpa pep, i need to have both work permit and study permit. i do have a pgwp, so the only problem is study permit.

i try to apply for a study permit, and i need a visa letter from cpa. but cpa will not send me this.

so my question is can i get study permit without visa letter from cpa? or is there any other way i can get study permit? i know if i have pr card there will be no problem, i will apply pnp asap. but i don't wanna waste one year.

thanks a lot and hope you can see this message and answer my question.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
The condition on PGWP is like any other condition. For instance, on study permit it says "Cannot work unless authorized" when one gets work permit they are able to work. Same thing applies to PGWP when it says " Cannot study unless authorized" it means you need to have a valid study permit to study. Hope this helps!

sandrazelda

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 21, 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 21, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 5, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 18, 2013
Passport Req..
Jan 10, 2014 (DM on Dec 5, 2013)
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan 25, 2014
zhangquannick said:
Hi saadt.

i have some question wanna ask you. hope you can see this message and reply to me.

i am currently working in an accounting firm and wanna take the cpa course. i already sent my transcript to cpa office to review. and i am applicable for cpa pep.

but i am also an international student and my study permit already expired. cpa said if i wanna go for cpa pep, i need to have both work permit and study permit. i do have a pgwp, so the only problem is study permit.

i try to apply for a study permit, and i need a visa letter from cpa. but cpa will not send me this.

so my question is can i get study permit without visa letter from cpa? or is there any other way i can get study permit? i know if i have pr card there will be no problem, i will apply pnp asap. but i don't wanna waste one year.

thanks a lot and hope you can see this message and answer my question.
I want to share my experience here. I applied study permit while holding pgwp as work permit is not enough for me to study full time as a CGA student.

I know for sp, I need some proof of enrolment so I emailed CGA for a letter stating my needs for study permit. CGA gave me the letter and I got my closed study permit (allow me to study only at CGa) with no problem.

A SP will not void a worker status. Think it this way, why would CIC prevent you from pursuing further education while you can contribute more to canada after you get your designation and pr?

Hope this helps :D

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
thanks a lot for your info.

i know a letter will be helpful, but my problem is cpa don't even wanna give me the letter. right now casb control all the register. i called to their office. and they told me they will not send any letter to any international student.

so i can't get a sp right now and i am totally lost...

Camq

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
03-2015--PCC
AOR Received.
07-2014
Med's Request
01-2015
Passport Req..
10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-2015
LANDED..........
11-2015
hi,

I am in the process of applying for the CEC. My work experience will be completed in April 2014.
I am on PGWP, which is due to expire in July, 2014. My wife is on Student visa, which is due to expire in July, 2014 too.
My wife got her study permit because I am on PGWP.

Will she can get her independent status as a student, after July 2014?

Thanks. Much appreciate it. Please advise.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
@Camq

how can your wife get a study permit because you have a PGWP? Thats confusing because you can only get a OCWP, for study permit you have to go back to your country and apply....can you clarify that please

Camq

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
03-2015--PCC
AOR Received.
07-2014
Med's Request
01-2015
Passport Req..
10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-2015
LANDED..........
11-2015
@ dhuki

This is the policy of CIC that the spouse of a PGWP holder can apply for study/work/visitor permits within Canada. What you are saying is true for rest of the individuals. Thanks.

Camq

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
saadt said:
Okay guys I believe this is one of the most confused topic and I still haven't gotten any convincing answer. I have seen the comments of some people saying that your work permit will get voided if you apply for study permit. Now where is this written on CIC website? Can anyone prove it?

Why would they give us study permit if we already have post graduate work permit and they know that we must be working full time currently? Doesn't make sense

So if a person is working full time on post graduate work permit and lets say he decides to do CGA and he applies for study permit and gets it, does he have to immediately stop working?

If a person is working on post graduate work permit and gets a study permit for CGA and then after one year applies for CEC immigration, does that mean he will get rejection and his one year of experience is wasted?

I have called CIC 3 times and all 3 times they told me study permit will not affect your post graduate work permit and you can apply for CEC immigration without any problem. Why would they say that and still some people would get rejection?

Please discuss

thanks
I can tell you that one immigration officer (or border security officer) told me that it's OK to work if you have PGWP and study permit together even if the study permit comes after the PGWP. She also said I can work until the PGWP is valid. So, I guess there is no problem in your case.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
Camq said:
@ dhuki

This is the policy of CIC that the spouse of a PGWP holder can apply for study/work/visitor permits within Canada. What you are saying is true for rest of the individuals. Thanks.

Camq
Ohh I didnt knew that can you guide me to any official link which describe this thing...Your help would be highly appreciated bro

Camq

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
03-2015--PCC
AOR Received.
07-2014
Med's Request
01-2015
Passport Req..
10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-2015
LANDED..........
11-2015
@ dukhi

Here is the Link!

Family Member of a Work or Study Permit Holder

Generally, if you want to study in Canada, you must apply for a study permit at a Canadian visa office located outside Canada before entering the country.

As an exception, you can apply for a study permit from inside Canada if you are a family member* of a person with a valid work or study permit.

To apply for a study permit you can:
• Apply online through the My Application page on our website; or
• Send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

The application is available on our website. You can fill out the application online and print it or print it and fill it out by hand.

Visit our website to see how long it may take to process your application.

Camq

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2014
Doc's Request.
03-2015--PCC
AOR Received.
07-2014
Med's Request
01-2015
Passport Req..
10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-2015
LANDED..........
11-2015
Under the heading..
"who may apply for study permit within Canada"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5552ETOC.asp#5552E3

hope this will work!