+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

k.hardstaff

Aug 23, 2014
tink23 said:
First stage for inland (12 months) is when the OWP would be approved. You can't do an OWP for Outland.

In Outland though she will have her pr in less than or the same amount of time as she would for inland sponsor approval.

It's a decision you will have to make, but most people say, it is better to do Outland and stay in Canada as a visitor, especially if the Outland visa office processing time is a year or less.
Right. As I said, Vienna's processing time is currently 14 months, and she would have no grounds to stay in Canada if we didn't apply inland.

To reiterate our situation and make my original statement clearer (hopefully):

- I'm trying to sponsor my wife for PR inland.
- I am a Canadian citizen. She is a German citizen.
- She is in the country on her second (and final) IEC visa.
- We have filled out the PR application forms - no problems there, no consultation necessary.
- We have not yet submitted any forms.
- We have determined that she cannot continue to work for her current employer, as IEC work permits cannot be extended.
- We want to apply for an open work permit for her in tandem with her PR application, but are unsure as to what form needs to be filled out. We believe we need to submit form IMM5710E, along with a submission letter indicating that she would like to be granted an OWP if she receives AIP, and are seeking confirmation.
- We are not certain whether she needs to apply for an extension of stay as well, and if so, what form she needs to fill out. It seems that this may also be the IMM5710E application, since she should be granted implied status for stay while waiting for her new worker status.
- HOWEVER I'm concerned because of the IEC conditions mentioned above: Their work permits cannot be extended.
- If it is IMM5710E for both, do we need to file twice?

Elena0214

Aug 13, 2014
Hello thanks for all the informations! I was just wondering if you can help me out.
I am a canadian citizen, and my boyfriend is korean.
To start, my boyfriend was an international student in alberta, but had to go back to korea for the army.

Me and my boyfriend is planning on getting legally married in korea after he finishes the 2yr army program, and apply for the pr (didn't decide inland or outland yet).
He will be entering the country as an international student again and continue to study in albeta.

The problem is that I live in alberta but study in bc, and both of us want to finish the degrees in our own school.

If we apply for pr, do we have to live together during the school period? Even if we live together after we graduate?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Elena0214 said:
Hello thanks for all the informations! I was just wondering if you can help me out.
I am a canadian citizen, and my boyfriend is korean.
To start, my boyfriend was an international student in alberta, but had to go back to korea for the army.

Me and my boyfriend is planning on getting legally married in korea after he finishes the 2yr army program, and apply for the pr (didn't decide inland or outland yet).
He will be entering the country as an international student again and continue to study in albeta.

The problem is that I live in alberta but study in bc, and both of us want to finish the degrees in our own school.

If we apply for pr, do we have to live together during the school period? Even if we live together after we graduate?
if you apply outland, and are married, then you don't need to live together. i *think* if you apply inland, you must live together. definitely research your visa office thread very carefully before making a decision to go inland. there are MANY visa offices that are processing applications MUCH quicker than posted online.

BradThaiPim

Apr 10, 2014
quebecnewhusband said:
I have a question about getting the police clearance certificate (PCC) from Bangkok in Thailand. Next month, my thai wife and me are gonna go back to Canada and the plan is to apply from inland during our first month there. We were hoping to ask for the PCC before leaving Thailand, where we are now, but according to my wife, the police here is asking for a proof that the immigration process has started for them to give her a PCC. In other words, we would need to send our immigration application first, without the PCC, and then wait for the Immigration Canada to deliver us the Acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) OR to ask us directly for the missing PCC. Problem is : I'm afraid this would cause even more delay.

Does anyone encountered the same problem? In Thailand or elsewhere? What should we do exactly? Try to ask for the PCC right away, hoping they will make an exception for my wife?

Or wait until the canadian government ask us for the PCC, and then apply for the PCC from Canada (which seems to be a more complicated process because the police would require fingerprints). Anyone has gone through that process before?

Thank you for your help and advices!
We brought an envelope containing containing 1500 baht to pay for the "extra service" of not having all the required forms. It depends on who is working reception if you will be able to pay for this "special service" because it is not one they advertise.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
k.hardstaff said:
Hi there! Wondering if you guys can help me out. Here's the gist of my situation:

- I'm trying to sponsor my wife for PR inland.
- I am a Canadian citizen. She is a German citizen.
- She is in the country on her second (and final) IEC visa.
- We have filled out the PR application forms - no problems there, no consultation necessary.
- We have determined that she cannot continue to work for her current employer, as IEC work permits cannot be extended.
- We want to apply for an open work permit for her in tandem with her PR application, but are unsure as to what form needs to be filled out. We believe it is IMM5710E.
- We are not certain whether she needs to apply for an extension of stay as well, and if so, what form she needs to fill out. It seems that this may be included as well in IMM5710E.
- We have not yet submitted any forms.

Please help!! Thanks!!
Is the job she is performing a NOC O, A or B job? If so, there is an option available that could permit her to work MUCH sooner than an inland spousal sponsorship (which is currently sitting at 13 months). Specifically, with 12 months of work experience in Canada she can apply in the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). It takes about two months for Sydney (CPC-S) to indicate she qualifies for CEC at which point she can obtain a "bridging open work permit" (BOWP) when she is no more than four months from expiration of her IEC visa.

In addition, processing time for PR in CEC is 13 months - so she would be a landed immigrant before she even gets the OWP in the spousal sponsorship. Plus, this is a non-conditional visa class and there is no sponsorship obligation. And the cost is the same ($550 for the application, $490 for the RPRF, plus medicals and police letters).

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
rhcohen2014 said:
if you apply outland, and are married, then you don't need to live together. i *think* if you apply inland, you must live together. definitely research your visa office thread very carefully before making a decision to go inland. there are MANY visa offices that are processing applications MUCH quicker than posted online.
Cohabitation with one's sponsor is a statutory requirement of the in Canada class (See IP 8 on the CIC website):

One of the eligibility criteria in R124 is cohabitation with the sponsor in Canada.

Documents provided as proof of the relationship should also establish that the spouse or common-law partner and the sponsor are living together. If this is not clear from the evidence available, the CPC-V should request further documents or refer to a CIC for an interview (see sample letter in Appendix F – Invitation to Examination Interview).
We had a case on here where both people were in Canada but due to working in different cities were not cohabitating and they were refused. If you aren't cohabitation, you must apply via the Outland process.

simran91

May 20, 2014
Hello everyone..!
My application was recieved on 19 june and file transferred to NDVO on 23 Aug.
How much time will it take?

Hope for Speedy visa for everyone! :)

mags4415

Aug 25, 2014
im new to this forum i can not fig out how to post my question!!!Ijust founda topic and see a spot where i can reply to someone elses post!!
jeez im in trouble with gettting any forms filled out if i cant even fig out how to post a question on a forum..

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mags4415 said:
im new to this forum i can not fig out how to post my question!!!Ijust founda topic and see a spot where i can reply to someone elses post!!
jeez im in trouble with gettting any forms filled out if i cant even fig out how to post a question on a forum..
You need to post a certain number of times before you can create your own thread. I think it's 10 posts. Until the. You will only be able to post replies so what you are experiencing is normal.

mags4415

Aug 25, 2014
so here is my question!!!!what if my spouse has overstayed 10 years in Canada !!!!i didn't meet him until 2013 but he has been here since 2005.We just got married.married. Im not familiar with immigration at all i was born in canada and have never had to consider this.He is from jamaica amd knowing him the way i do i understand how and why he ended up overstaying because even i as a Canadian citizen find this all to be quite intimidating.He left jamaica out of fear came to stay with his sister who is fro Jamaica as well but married to a Canadian citizen.He is not A very educated man and not claiming his stupid or anything nut i think they just didnt know what to do nce he overstayed.Fast forward 9years later and we meet he didnt tell me about his status until 5 months in and at that point ihad fallen in love and couldnt imagine walking away from him.So here i am know trying to figure it all out"He has no passport his which we need for the sponsorship forms we need medical clearence and police check and have no idea where to begin.Im not getting a lawyer we simply cant afford one with me only working.But with each passing day i worry what if he gets sick i cant even get him medical attention which is my biggest concern..I dont even know where to pick up all the forms i need to complete i see the website where to get them on line but would rather have paper copies.So thats the beginning any helpin these matters wuould be appreciated.Him going back to jamaica to wait approval not an option and i know he is protected from being deported while the application is being processed because we are married....

BlueOwl

Apr 27, 2014
Hi all,

Quick question: how do you specify wanting to apply for Outland? Is it down to the specific address you send the application to? Also, I saw something mentioning a separate address for Couriers, so can you not use the P.O. Box to have the application couriered there?

Thanks in advance!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
BlueOwl said:
Hi all,

Quick question: how do you specify wanting to apply for Outland? Is it down to the specific address you send the application to? Also, I saw something mentioning a separate address for Couriers, so can you not use the P.O. Box to have the application couriered there?

Thanks in advance!
There are some specific forms required for inland, and those required for Outland.

There is an address required for couriers because it has to be signed for by a person. A PO Box won't have someone there to sign, which is why couriers won't deliver there.

BlueOwl

Apr 27, 2014
tink23 said:
There are some specific forms required for inland, and those required for Outland.

There is an address required for couriers because it has to be signed for by a person. A PO Box won't have someone there to sign, which is why couriers won't deliver there.
Thanks for that, tink. So they realise which option I am going down through the types of forms I use?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
BlueOwl said:
Thanks for that, tink. So they realise which option I am going down through the types of forms I use?
Yes. If you are applying Outland, I suggest on the front of your package and the envelope you write a nice big OUTLAND so they are not confused.

ad rasheed

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Hi,
can any one tell me what to do with "print out form C"? i live in USA and i am canadian citizen, i am sponsering my wife but from more than 10 years i am working and living in USA.