+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

xuenee2004

May 2, 2014
Quick question: Get married now or later?

If I applied for a conjugal/common-law partner sponsorship, and assuming that it's approved, when we decide to get married after the next few years, do I need to go through the entire process and apply for spousal sponsorship? Or am I automatically granted a PR after we legally marry?
Or would it be easier if we just plan for our marriage and THEN apply for spousal sponsorship?

Anyone with similar experience?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
xuenee2004 said:

If I applied for a conjugal/common-law partner sponsorship, and assuming that it's approved, when we decide to get married after the next few years, do I need to go through the entire process and apply for spousal sponsorship? Or am I automatically granted a PR after we legally marry?
Or would it be easier if we just plan for our marriage and THEN apply for spousal sponsorship?

I'm not sure I quite understand your question. Have you already applied in the conjugal or common-law category? If you are planning on getting married, then you probably don't qualify for conjugal. Have you lived together for at least 12 consecutive months? If yes, then you can apply under the common-law category now. Once you're approved, you'll get your PR. IF you get married after that, there's no change, as you'll already be a PR.
If you don't qualify under common-law, then yes, wait until you get married, then submit the application.

yumyumhungry

Dec 4, 2013
Question:

After a year of processing, Canada will request another health check, correct? So they are good for up to one year? Can we get it earlier than they request it? (By say two months). We plan on travelling so we won't be able to get the health check when they probably request it. We would get it before we leave to travel and then we can forward it to them when/if they request it.

Will that work? Hmm.

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
xuenee2004 said:

Be careful about applying for conjugal - it is the hardest to prove. Read the first post in this thread. (page 1)

If you apply as common-law, receive PR, and get married a few years down the road so you do not need to reapply as a married spouse.

Getting married doesn't automatically give you PR, you still need to apply - pretty much the same application as applying common-law. However, as a common-law relationship they may scrutinize your application more than if you were married. Ask for more solid proof of the relationship, etc.

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
yumyumhungry said:
Question:

After a year of processing, Canada will request another health check, correct? So they are good for up to one year? Can we get it earlier than they request it? (By say two months). We plan on travelling so we won't be able to get the health check when they probably request it. We would get it before we leave to travel and then we can forward it to them when/if they request it.

Will that work? Hmm.
Sometimes they ask for another medical to be done, sometimes they will extend the date. It depends on the VO office, among other factors.

I don't see a reason why doing it before you travel and forwarding it to them if they request it would be a problem. Although doctor offices now automatically send the information to CIC. If your doctor does this, it may cause confusion for CIC when they haven't requested it.

yumyumhungry

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the response.

May be a bit of an obvious question here: on page 4 of the IMM5669 form, it says "Do not complete the following section now, you may be asked to sign in the presence of a representative of the Canadian government..." etc.

My wife really shouldn't sign this, then? Could they send it back and ask her to sign it like that? Is there any way to avoid that (which I assume adds a lot of time to the process)? Will we get in trouble if we sign it now, or is this one of those in 100% of cases she shouldn't sign it? :-\

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yumyumhungry said:
Thanks for the response.

May be a bit of an obvious question here: on page 4 of the IMM5669 form, it says "Do not complete the following section now, you may be asked to sign in the presence of a representative of the Canadian government..." etc.

My wife really shouldn't sign this, then? Could they send it back and ask her to sign it like that? Is there any way to avoid that (which I assume adds a lot of time to the process)? Will we get in trouble if we sign it now, or is this one of those in 100% of cases she shouldn't sign it? :-\
Follow the instructions and don't complete that section. If you complete it - your documents may be returned to you and you may be asked to re-do the form. Don't make things more complicated for yourself than they already are.

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
Hi everyone,

My fiance and I knew each other since high school but he came to Canada 9 years ago and currently holds Canadian citizenship. I came to Canada as an international student and graduated in 2013, currently working full time and on Post-Grad work permit. We've dated for over two years before he proposed.

My fiance and I are planning to get married through civil marriage at city hall/town centre in the next three months. I was wondering if anyone has gotten married like that and has applied for PR. We can't afford a large wedding or reception because we had purchased a home together.

How should I go about applying for PR for me with my fiance and what special points should I take note of?

Has anyone been in similar situation?

Thanks alot!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Blossom318 said:
Hi everyone,

My fiance and I knew each other since high school but he came to Canada 9 years ago and currently holds Canadian citizenship. I came to Canada as an international student and graduated in 2013, currently working full time and on Post-Grad work permit. We've dated for over two years before he proposed.

My fiance and I are planning to get married through civil marriage at city hall/town centre in the next three months. I was wondering if anyone has gotten married like that and has applied for PR. We can't afford a large wedding or reception because we had purchased a home together.

How should I go about applying for PR for me with my fiance and what special points should I take note of?

Has anyone been in similar situation?

Thanks alot!
yes, many people on this forum have had small civil marriages. what has been suggested is to make sure to take pictures, and if family or friends are present, make sure to include them in those pictures. if you have something planned for afterwards (like a meal, or get together), take pictures and keep receipts. just write your story with as much detail as possible. the fact you have spent money on buying a home together would prove sincerity i would think. including your mortgage papers and pictures of that would be helpful too, in my opinion.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
vinem said:
1. Can my spouse come to Canada after marriage , using the working holiday visa?
Yes.

vinem said:
2. I know you have to declare your status at the port of entry , if it is changed after the working holiday visa is approved. In my case, I got married from outside of Canada
and my spouse is coming to Canada using the working holiday visa which was got approved well before marriage. Will the officers doubt the intent ??
Your spouse's status is "worker" and that does need to be disclosed and the work permit processed by CBSA. There's no requirement to disclose additional relationship information - but if they ask, you must answer honestly.

vinem said:
3. Will there be any problem at the port of entry? Can they deny the entrance when declaring my spouse got married to a me, who is a Canadian resident and trying to enter Canada using WHV??
The foreign national will be subject to the usual review. With a valid work permit, that would normally be cursory, but if they are concerned that your spouse won't leave at the end of the stay (or otherwise remain in status) then they could find your spouse to be inadmissible. Unless you tell them you are married, they won't know. Why would you volunteer irrelevant information? If they ask, it becomes relevant and you both should be honest.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Blossom318 said:
Congratulations! My spouse and I had a civil wedding and we had exactly two friends in attendance (serving a witnesses). There is no requirement you have a large wedding or a reception. Owning a piece of real estate together is likely as strong evidence of the relationship as anything else.

Blossom318 said:
Decide if you wish to have the application processed inside or outside Canada. For inside, you must be living in Canada with your sponsor. For outside, you can be anywhere, including on temporary status in Canada (but you must remain in legal status in Canada).

Then pick the correct forms from the CIC website and start collecting documents.

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, many people on this forum have had small civil marriages. what has been suggested is to make sure to take pictures, and if family or friends are present, make sure to include them in those pictures. if you have something planned for afterwards (like a meal, or get together), take pictures and keep receipts. just write your story with as much detail as possible. the fact you have spent money on buying a home together would prove sincerity i would think. including your mortgage papers and pictures of that would be helpful too, in my opinion.
Thank you.

We were thinking of applying through a lawyer, thinking that way, we won't miss some important points that may be critical to our application.

It is pretty pricey for a lawyer..... we are thinking to apply IN CANADA.

Then someone else was saying we can consider just an immigration consultant.

legendrock

Sep 6, 2013
Spousal sponsorship IMM 5491

IMM 5491 Document Checklist question 17 & 18

question 17- I got an original option c printout from CRA. option c which i got is 2012 last year, i recently filed my tax return for 2013(while in 2013 i was working at loblaws till Oct 2013 and then for 4 month i went to my home country and came back on 4 march 2014)

now in question 18 - they are asking for proof of employment, or proof of income (For 12 months preceding the date of your sponsorship) if self employed
I am a cab driver i am self employed but i have just started from April 2014 how can i show proof of income now or else anything i can do how can i show my 2013 income to cic

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
Blossom318 said:
Thank you.

We were thinking of applying through a lawyer, thinking that way, we won't miss some important points that may be critical to our application.

It is pretty pricey for a lawyer..... we are thinking to apply IN CANADA.

Then someone else was saying we can consider just an immigration consultant.
Don't waste your money on either a lawyer or a consultant if you have a reasonably straight forward case. Read the instructions carefully and complete the forms accordingly. Anything you have a question on just ask folks on this forum who probably know more than most lawyers due to their own experiences.
Unless you have special issues like criminal for example or previous immigration problems, then you should not have too much difficulty completing your application. In addition you can call CIC help center toll free. Good luck with your application.

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
chala said:
Don't waste your money on either a lawyer or a consultant if you have a reasonably straight forward case. Read the instructions carefully and complete the forms accordingly. Anything you have a question on just ask folks on this forum who probably know more than most lawyers due to their own experiences.
Unless you have special issues like criminal for example or previous immigration problems, then you should not have too much difficulty completing your application. In addition you can call CIC help center toll free. Good luck with your application.

Thank You!

Can you Tell me a bit about how you went about applying for yours? I see that you landed in 2013. and CPP Ottawa is your visa office. How does that work? Thank you !