+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Colibri23

Dec 22, 2012
Conflicting advice!!! Thank you to all of you who have offered your opinions and ideas! I know it is not official legal advice, but it helps to hear what others have to say. I find the application and information very overwhelming!

Tuyen, Why would we be twenty times less likely to be approved on a conjugal application? Seem it is the only real option, especially if we got denied on a common law application. At $1500+ per application, I'm not interested in doing more than one over an arbitrary detail that is equivalent to two return flights!

Seems the consensus is to just go ahead and apply common law but it seems doomed if we cant even live together more than 6 months at a time. Would my 2 month visits to Canada negate the 1 year minimum time limit? We technically have shared a total of 12.5 months living together since 2010, just not consecutively.

Lilismael: We are not able to live together for the specified time period (1 year) due to mexican immigration laws - though we are cohabitants and have combined affairs in Mexico.
I don't think this is a valid consideration but: I am separated and married and unable to obtain a divorce due to Icelandic requirements and my ex's refusal to provide his passport to them for those purposes, could be resolved but I don't have the thousands it would cost to do so using lawyers. Doesn't prevent me from being common law with my current partner, I am just reluctant to marry in case it becomes a case of marriage fraud.

Cempjwi, Yes, we have not been able to reside together for a year straight due to Mexico's visitor visa limit of 180 days (6 months), so there are circumstances preventing us from meeting the common law eligibility. He was denied a visa to visit us in Canada due to financial reasons, and of course if we could we would live together! Hence my confusion over whether to apply common law (we don't meet the definition or time requirements and cannot change those circumstances due to immigration laws and financial considerations).

We will take your advice and seek the advice of a lawyer. The law in Mexico is 5 years living together to qualify as common law, I think 3 years if you share a child in common, (I believe that child must be born in Mexico) but the only benefit is that the children and partner can share the medical coverage of the other, and the foreigner can apply for working papers (fm2) and after 8 years can apply for citizenship, which is rarely granted. To get Mexican citizenship for my daughter is slightly easier, though nearly as costly, we are working on that as well, so she can have more options as se grows older.

The onus has been entirely on me to go to the trouble and expense of travelling back and forth with an infant multiple times a year, trying to maintain my citizenship in Canada as well as my relationship with my fiancé and allow my daughter to know her Mexican relatives. It is really difficult (& totally worth it) being a complete family in one country and a single mother in the other, putting strain on my sisters and mother to host and support us emotionally.

Neither reality seems very real and I have not been able to settle into any sort of routine or commitment due to the impermanence/unpredictability/legal uncertainty of straddling what feels like two lives... I am running out of $$$ so looks like we will be separated indefinitely in 2013, but I have tried really hard to establish sufficient evidence that we are in fact an authentic family engaged in a legitimate congugal relationship despite the barriers of poverty, borders, distance, economics, politics and finances. I feel so very fortunate to have 1) love in my life 2) a healthy daughter and 3) the good fortune to be with her full time for her first two years.
Time to spring into action! =) I suppose a lawyer is prudent before submitting the application, or choosing a category.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Colibri23 said:
Conflicting advice!!! Thank you to all of you who have offered your opinions and ideas! I know it is not official legal advice, but it helps to hear what others have to say. I find the application and information very overwhelming!

Tuyen, Why would we be twenty times less likely to be approved on a conjugal application? Seem it is the only real option, especially if we got denied on a common law application. At $1500+ per application, I'm not interested in doing more than one over an arbitrary detail that is equivalent to two return flights!

Seems the consensus is to just go ahead and apply common law but it seems doomed if we cant even live together more than 6 months at a time. Would my 2 month visits to Canada negate the 1 year minimum time limit? We technically have shared a total of 12.5 months living together since 2010, just not consecutively.

Lilismael: We are not able to live together for the specified time period (1 year) due to mexican immigration laws - though we are cohabitants and have combined affairs in Mexico.
I don't think this is a valid consideration but: I am separated and married and unable to obtain a divorce due to Icelandic requirements and my ex's refusal to provide his passport to them for those purposes, could be resolved but I don't have the thousands it would cost to do so using lawyers. Doesn't prevent me from being common law with my current partner, I am just reluctant to marry in case it becomes a case of marriage fraud.

Cempjwi, Yes, we have not been able to reside together for a year straight due to Mexico's visitor visa limit of 180 days (6 months), so there are circumstances preventing us from meeting the common law eligibility. He was denied a visa to visit us in Canada due to financial reasons, and of course if we could we would live together! Hence my confusion over whether to apply common law (we don't meet the definition or time requirements and cannot change those circumstances due to immigration laws and financial considerations).

We will take your advice and seek the advice of a lawyer. The law in Mexico is 5 years living together to qualify as common law, I think 3 years if you share a child in common, (I believe that child must be born in Mexico) but the only benefit is that the children and partner can share the medical coverage of the other, and the foreigner can apply for working papers (fm2) and after 8 years can apply for citizenship, which is rarely granted. To get Mexican citizenship for my daughter is slightly easier, though nearly as costly, we are working on that as well, so she can have more options as se grows older.

The onus has been entirely on me to go to the trouble and expense of travelling back and forth with an infant multiple times a year, trying to maintain my citizenship in Canada as well as my relationship with my fiancé and allow my daughter to know her Mexican relatives. It is really difficult (& totally worth it) being a complete family in one country and a single mother in the other, putting strain on my sisters and mother to host and support us emotionally.

Neither reality seems very real and I have not been able to settle into any sort of routine or commitment due to the impermanence/unpredictability/legal uncertainty of straddling what feels like two lives... I am running out of $$$ so looks like we will be separated indefinitely in 2013, but I have tried really hard to establish sufficient evidence that we are in fact an authentic family engaged in a legitimate congugal relationship despite the barriers of poverty, borders, distance, economics, politics and finances. I feel so very fortunate to have 1) love in my life 2) a healthy daughter and 3) the good fortune to be with her full time for her first two years.
Time to spring into action! =) I suppose a lawyer is prudent before submitting the application, or choosing a category.
I'm not sure about Mexican immigration laws, but I think u should post in the Mexico thread because there are many people in there with experience with that visa office and there are people who reached common law and lived in Mexico for over a year so I don't think that law is for real or if u will be able to use it as a case for applying conjugal since u can reach common law by living together in Mexico.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Colibri23 said:

Tuyen, Why would we be twenty times less likely to be approved on a conjugal application?
Because only a small fraction of all conjugal applications are ever approved. And when I say "small", I do mean very small.

Colibri23 said:
Seems the consensus is to just go ahead and apply common law but it seems doomed if we cant even live together more than 6 months at a time.
Assuming you're not prevented by some other reason (work, family life, etc.), is there any reason why you couldn't get an extension to allow you to stay in Mexico for longer than 6 months?

Colibri23 said:
Would my 2 month visits to Canada negate the 1 year minimum time limit? We technically have shared a total of 12.5 months living together since 2010, just not consecutively.
It has to be consecutively. However, you ARE allowed a small break in between, but they don't specify exactly how small. I would guess it would be somewhere on the order of 2-4 weeks. Here's what CIC says:

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

Colibri23 said:
The law in Mexico is 5 years living together to qualify as common law, I think 3 years if you share a child in common
None of that matters for sponsoring someone to Canada. What matters is Canada's requirement for common law, not Mexico's. And the Canadian requirement is one year.

Colibri23 said:
Your case doesn't sound like it requires a lawyer. Everything you've described so far is very straightforward. You either meet the requirements for common law, or you don't. A lawyer won't be able to wave a magic wand and change anything.

You can try applying as conjugal, and send detailed explanations as to why you can't qualify for common law, but they would need some serious convincing...and their first question will more than likely be the same thing that I was asking, which is why you're not able to extend your visitor's visa to Mexico beyond the normal 6 month limit.

Owi

Dec 24, 2012
Two Six Double 0
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This "ADDITIONAL DEPENDANTS/DECLARATION FORM." I dont have to fill this up right? because i dont have any children yet and i didnt declare my parents as additional dependants in my generic application.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pritha said:
Hi Leon! Thanks for the link... So the OWP application that i will submit along with the PR application won't jeopardize my PR application itself? I hope its not. Hehe
No. As a matter of current regulations, you have a right to an open work permit once first stage approval is granted. It won't jeopardize your PR application.

pritha said:
and another question that just popped up in my mind, So the condition is i have not submit the application just yet cause i'm still in my home country. Planning to land in Feb 2013 on TRV. So, what i want to ask is altough i have a multiple entry on my TRV for a year, then when i landed in canada the border officer stamp my passport i only got few months lets say for like 1-3months , then what should i do? Cause i think within those time given by the border officer i don't have the time to submit the application within the time since i'm going to get married there, probably will be busy for the marriage preparation. Any advices?
Once you submit the PR application with the OWP (or other temporary status) application, you are allowed to remain in Canada until they decide on your temporary status application. This is known as "implied status", and you are legally allowed to remain in Canada while they process your application.

6h12is

Dec 29, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
AOR Received.
18-02-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
01-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2014
LANDED..........
23-01-2014
Hi,
I dont know where to start, can I please get help I would really appreciate it. I am a canadian citizen born in canada I have lived in the Philippines for the past 5 years. I met my wife there and we have been together for 5 years. We got married in the Philippines this past September. I decided that I wanted to go back home to Canda. I just arrived back home to Canada Decmeber 6. I have been working now for almost 3 weeks. Now my question is can I sponser my wife even thou I have only been working for 3 weeks? I have read all the applications and still am confused. I would really like to get here here as soon as possible. Please help me and tell me the steps I need to do to submit my application to sponser my wife.

Thank You!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
6h12is said:
Hi,
I dont know where to start, can I please get help I would really appreciate it. I am a canadian citizen born in canada I have lived in the Philippines for the past 5 years. I met my wife there and we have been together for 5 years. We got married in the Philippines this past September. I decided that I wanted to go back home to Canda. I just arrived back home to Canada Decmeber 6. I have been working now for almost 3 weeks. Now my question is can I sponser my wife even thou I have only been working for 3 weeks? I have read all the applications and still am confused. I would really like to get here here as soon as possible. Please help me and tell me the steps I need to do to submit my application to sponser my wife.

Thank You!!
Yes, you can sponsor your wife even if you have only been working for 3 weeks.

Akash000111

Dec 30, 2012
Had a q.
For my spouse application status, it shows IN PROCESS starting Dec. 19th.
File submitted May 17th, 2012
File received in delhi was 2nd week of September.

What exactly does "In process" means and how LONG is it? i am clueless and it would be great if some1 can help me. its been more than 8 months. just anxious

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akash000111 said:
Had a q.
For my spouse application status, it shows IN PROCESS starting Dec. 19th.
File submitted May 17th, 2012
File received in delhi was 2nd week of September.

What exactly does "In process" means and how LONG is it? i am clueless and it would be great if some1 can help me. its been more than 8 months. just anxious
Nobody can tell you exactly how long but according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#asia the visa office in New Delhi gets 80% of applications processed by 10 months. If it was received by them in September, they have already had yours for 4.

noshi11

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2013
AOR Received.
02-02-2013
File Transfer...
02-14-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2013
LANDED..........
30-10-2013
Hi guys,

Question #14 in IMM5540. Has your spouse/partner met your close friends and family?

My husband only talked to my friends and family over skype/facetime etc. He has met my brother in person. Does that mean I answer "No" to the question or do I answer "Yes" and list them all under the second part of the question?

Someone please clarify, thanks!

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
noshi11 said:
Hi guys,

Question #14 in IMM5540. Has your spouse/partner met your close friends and family?

My husband only talked to my friends and family over skype/facetime etc. He has met my brother in person. Does that mean I answer "No" to the question or do I answer "Yes" and list them all under the second part of the question?

Someone please clarify, thanks!
Since people can "meet" in many different ways I answered yes to this question and then clarified how my wife met my parents, friends etc.. either by email, phone , text, Facebook or in person.

noshi11

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2013
AOR Received.
02-02-2013
File Transfer...
02-14-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2013
LANDED..........
30-10-2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Since people can "meet" in many different ways I answered yes to this question and then clarified how my wife met my parents, friends etc.. either by email, phone , text, Facebook or in person.
Thank You. That is what I have done, but I wanted to be sure before I send the application. Did you write a paragraph explaining how they met?

Owi

Dec 24, 2012
Two Six Double 0
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Owi said:
This "ADDITIONAL DEPENDANTS/DECLARATION FORM." I dont have to fill this up right? because i dont have any children yet and i didnt declare my parents as additional dependants in my generic application.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
noshi11 said:
Thank You. That is what I have done, but I wanted to be sure before I send the application. Did you write a paragraph explaining how they met?
I did the same, but in point form. Like this:

Husband met my friend so and so on facebook and has talked to them several times. Husband met this person in person in August 2010.

Or in the case of me meeting HIS family.

Wife met my mother *name* on facebook, chatted with her on MSN and exchanged e-mails with her starting in June 2010.

Hope that helps :)

nsarai01

Jun 9, 2012
I would like to know that i have submitted my file for sponsoring my wife outside canada and medical result also has been received. They have also took the passport for stamping since last three months and still no reply. If anyone can please let me know what should I do in this case that would be great. I also wanted to know that if medical expired do they tell us to do the another time or they issued the visa before medical expire. Thanks.