+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am4u2ster said:
my questions for you, do I need to get divorced over here in Canada?
No but you need to keep your divorce papers and show them if you want to get married again in Canada.

am4u2ster

Jan 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
No but you need to keep your divorce papers and show them if you want to get married again in Canada.
Leon do I need to informed CIC, as I have withdrawn the spousal immigration file, I have withdraw the file through a Chantal desloges a very good lawyer based in Toronto.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am4u2ster said:
Leon do I need to informed CIC, as I have withdrawn the spousal immigration file, I have withdraw the file through a Chantal desloges a very good lawyer based in Toronto.
If you have withdrawn the sponsorship application, you do not have to inform CIC that you got divorced.

nurse_85

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
Doc's Request.
22-08-2013
AOR Received.
31-08-2013
Med's Done....
April 2013- re-requested July 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 21/2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 14/2014
LANDED..........
September 2/2014 :)
Anyone applying through the Pretroia office?

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
Thanks for all the advice everyone. ! :)

Not to worry chickenkiev, the little head has had absolutely NO part to play in this decision. I'm not "one of those guys", and my trip wasn't one of "those kinds" of trips. The pace of our relations is definitely something my own mother and babushka would be proud of. ;D

To clarify the "in no rush to get married" comment. While we are engaged, we would like to enjoy more of a courtship, by having her come to Canada to be with me. In our early discussions when we met, she stressed that she wasn't looking for a BF/GF relationship that went on for 12 - 18 months, because she is at the age where she wants to have a family and create the cozy home. Her previous significant relationship ended because she was more serious than he was. She wanted to settle down and have kids, and he wasn't about any of that, so hasta la vista baby! So, while we are in no rush to get to the altar at present, we aren't going to be waiting forever either. She just wants to spend time with me in Canada to essentially confirm what we already know, believe, and feel about each other, particularly since I am unable to go to Ukraine and spend an extended period of time there, until a year from now, when the school year is over--I'm a teacher. That being said, we don't want to be apart for a long time, so the TRV is desirable, and if granted . . . if she stays the 6 months the TRV typically permits, it may be prudent on our part to get married here, while she is in country and can enjoy implied status while an inland application is filed and processed.

If the TRV isn't granted, well . . . then I'll be creating a whole new thread about advice for getting married in Ukraine. lol

On a side note, and if you don't mind my asking, where did you find an immigration consultant for $500? The one I spoke with in Saskatoon yesterday quoted $3000+. :eek:

chickenkiev

Dec 3, 2012
Visa Office......
Kiev
App. Filed.......
Yes
AOR Received.
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Interview........
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
YES
[quote ]
To clarify the "in no rush to get married" comment. While we are engaged, we would like to enjoy more of a courtship, by having her come to Canada to be with me. In our early discussions when we met, she stressed that she wasn't looking for a BF/GF relationship that went on for 12 - 18 months, because she is at the age where she wants to have a family and create the cozy home. Her previous significant relationship ended because she was more serious than he was. She wanted to settle down and have kids, and he wasn't about any of that, so hasta la vista baby!
If the TRV isn't granted, well . . . then I'll be creating a whole new thread about advice for getting married in Ukraine. lol

On a side note, and if you don't mind my asking, where did you find an immigration consultant for $500? The one I spoke with in Saskatoon yesterday quoted $3000+. :eek:
[/quote]
Sounds good for the "in no rush to get married" comment!
Consultants.. you'll find prices and quality all over the map. Kinda like picking a car mechanic. I'm in Ontario, they wanted 3K for full serve or 500 for doc check and submission. She even said the full serve wasn't worth it as they needed me to fill in the info anyways.
Be careful with the TRV app. Lies on a denied TRV app could easily slow down your process if having to marry there. Thus attempts to shorten the process may lengthen it. Choose your poison wisely.
You should be able to marry there easy with a 10-14 day visit, some hoops to jump thru in-country first. If you start planning a december visit/wedding now, she might be here for good by canada day '14. You can start now to chip away on the PR app. Two weeks after returning from wedding your app should be done and mailed ! 1-2 weeks before your visit she should get her medical done, booking it 4-6 weeks (guesstimate) before wanted.
Caveat Emptor...remember what your paying for the advice here before taking it as gospel ;)

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
Hi All,

Just letting you know, I sent my PRTD app on Friday to Vienna.
I dont really have much hope though, I know I am "old" applying for H&C :( i am 29, just turning 30.

It makes me sick to mu stomach to think about how easily I could have got back 10 yrs ago.... But I had absolutely noooooooooooooo idea, absolutely none, zero that this is possible. Actually my Canadian stepfather told my Mom back then , that if we leave we can NEVER be back, this is the LAW in Canada. Because we do not respect our chance to be PRs. So this burnt into my head forever....
I cant forgive myself for not having the knowledge about this. I was young, skinny, single and still madly in love with the man I am married to right now... He said a year ago that he has been waiting for a miracle to hear something about me once again, for so many years, but my Mom was hiding from her Canadian ex husband, so she burnt every bridge behind us (if you have this saying in English).

Well, happens what happens now, right?

We asked, and we will be eligible to be sponsored in case of a refusal though, so Its good news.

Thanks for all your help so far!

hazamc

Mar 4, 2013
Burlington, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 JUNE 2011 for wife
Doc's Request.
Never
AOR Received.
05 June 2012
File Transfer...
04 AUGUST 2011
Med's Done....
5 JUNE 2013 and 11 SEPTEMBER 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
February 2015
VISA ISSUED...
February 2015
LANDED..........
February 2015
Please Very Kindly can anybody tell me if this strike is effecting us?

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/07/11/foreign-service-strike-could-continue-into-fall-union-rep/

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Hi Hungary,

Good luck with the entire process.

There was a major change in the law in 2002, so it would have been easy for anybody to be confused. And it was always complicated, anyway.

Before my mother became a citizen, she was always terrified of what would happen to her PR if she went back to the States for six months or more.

Hungary said:
Hi All,

I dont really have much hope though, I know I am "old" applying for H&C :( i am 29, just turning 30.

It makes me sick to mu stomach to think about how easily I could have got back 10 yrs ago.... But I had absolutely noooooooooooooo idea, absolutely none, zero that this is possible. Actually my Canadian stepfather told my Mom back then , that if we leave we can NEVER be back, this is the LAW in Canada. Because we do not respect our chance to be PRs. So this burnt into my head forever....
I cant forgive myself for not having the knowledge about this. I was young, skinny, single and still madly in love with the man I am married to right now... He said a year ago that he has been waiting for a miracle to hear something about me once again, for so many years, but my Mom was hiding from her Canadian ex husband, so she burnt every bridge behind us (if you have this saying in English).

We asked, and we will be eligible to be sponsored in case of a refusal though, so Its good news.

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
frege said:
Hi Hungary,

Good luck with the entire process.

There was a major change in the law in 2002, so it would have been easy for anybody to be confused. And it was always complicated, anyway.

Before my mother became a citizen, she was always terrified of what would happen to her PR if she went back to the States for six months or more.

Wow... really? 6 months was already a risk losing PR back then... Well, at least my stepfather might have said the truth about us losing the status... he sure enough was an ******* though.

But I don't really get it. How on Earth would a young adult know about this opportunity PRTD on H&C. I mean I was planning a trip back (in the hope of my Love falling in love with me) but something happened (I got the information that he might a family father already...) so I stayed.
Besides I just made the trip and being a visa exempt country, I didn't have to apply for TRV so again this PR status thing didn't turn out. SO if we didn't meet again, got married and applied for Sponsorship, I would have never known about it. Although they do expect me to take the first chance and apply. How? Who knows about it? From where? From who?
Never mind, they will consider it as they wish.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
hazamc said:
Please Very Kindly can anybody tell me if this strike is effecting us?

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/07/11/foreign-service-strike-could-continue-into-fall-union-rep/
Yes.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Hungary said:
Hi All,

I hope you said that to them: "I only now became aware that I was a pr. Had I known sooner, I would have asked before. Thus, I am doing this at the earliest point I became aware it was possible."

I think they should do it anyway. All they are going to do otherwise is make extra busy work.

On the bright side, when your pr app shows back up they will probably remember your case. Hope it goes faster.

Also, you could still appeal a refusal if you want. Because you were in Canada within the past year they have to let you enter again for the appeal.

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
computergeek said:
I hope you said that to them: "I only now became aware that I was a pr. Had I known sooner, I would have asked before. Thus, I am doing this at the earliest point I became aware it was possible."

I think they should do it anyway. All they are going to do otherwise is make extra busy work.

On the bright side, when your pr app shows back up they will probably remember your case. Hope it goes faster.

Also, you could still appeal a refusal if you want. Because you were in Canada within the past year they have to let you enter again for the appeal.
Yes, I did, actually I started it with this. ;) Saying politely that if I've ever known this, I would have gone back ten years ago, as I was planning to... And to prove that we had absolutely no idea, we applied for sponsorship, and I included a copy of the letter we got from CPCM -with date on it.
I wrote right after this, that I just found this out a week ago by the letter and here I am, 6 days later I've already put the app for the TD together and sending it off...

I put everything in my letter, but I was not over explaining myself.
Also my husband wrote a letter in his point of view.
Oh and I sent in the copy of our "development of relationship" from the sponsorship, so they can read about everything very detailed. Its already submitted to CPCM, so they wont think that I am trying to melt their heart. Everything is the honest truth, so they can deal with it. ;)

Lobzang

Star Member
Sep 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/12/2013
AOR Received.
30/12/2013
File Transfer...
08/01/2014
Med's Done....
19/09/2013 finalised 06/2014
Passport Req..
sept 2nd 2014
VISA ISSUED...
IP since August 2nd 2014
Hi everyone,
Im a complete newbie at all of this so I'm very thankful for all of the amazing information and help provided by this site. I am a Canadian citizen who is looking to start the process of sponsoring my husband from India. I'm not concerned about the medical or police checks, however the financial requirements have got me a little worried. I just recently graduated as an RN in June and went to India and got married in August. Im returning home this week and very sad to be leaving him behind :( When I get back home (montreal, Quebec) I'll begin the process of a job search. Should i wait to begin my application considering my financial situation is about to drastically change? Do you think they will take this fact into consideration?
One other concern is that I am currently living with my parents however they are not aware of the marriage as they would have absolutely been against the idea (understandably as parents worry and they have never met him). I met my husband last year while volunteering in India and we fell in love and maintained a long distance relationship. We decided to get married this summer with his family when I returned to visit him. My family are aware of our relationship but not the marriage. Will this be a problem when they are looking to confirm the legitimacy of our relationship? I have friends that are aware and support the marriage which can confirm its legitimacy.
Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Hi Hungary,

You're right, the mistaken belief you had for all this time that you would have no chance at all of returning could be a significant argument in your favour, explaining partly why it's taken this long. A good argument can be made that this is the first opportunity for you. On the other hand, you now have a big reason to return to Canada that you didn't before - I don't know if this will factor into their thinking.

Under the pre-2002 rules, children had an automatic right to return on reaching adulthood if it hadn't been their choice to leave. That right no longer officially exists, but what people have been saying on the forum is that in practice people are still having some success with the same argument. I hope they'll decide there's no point forcing you to go through the sponsorship to reach the same result anyway but many months later.

It would appear your stepfather had a certain understanding of the rules for adults, but may not have been aware of the exception for children. Or if it was after 2002, he would have been partly correct, since officially the three-year rule applies to children too.

Hungary said:
Wow... really? 6 months was already a risk losing PR back then... Well, at least my stepfather might have said the truth about us losing the status... he sure enough was an ******* though.

But I don't really get it. How on Earth would a young adult know about this opportunity PRTD on H&C. I mean I was planning a trip back (in the hope of my Love falling in love with me) but something happened (I got the information that he might a family father already...) so I stayed.
Besides I just made the trip and being a visa exempt country, I didn't have to apply for TRV so again this PR status thing didn't turn out. SO if we didn't meet again, got married and applied for Sponsorship, I would have never known about it. Although they do expect me to take the first chance and apply. How? Who knows about it? From where? From who?
Never mind, they will consider it as they wish.