Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
amikety said:
Ever heard of Anchor Babies? It happens in the USA all the time.
"Anchor babies" are a terrible immigration strategy. Born in the US, the babies are citizens, but can't sponsor their parents until they reach the age of 21, and not if the parents are living in the US illegally, so the parents can be deported while the kids wind up in foster care or with lawful immigrant relatives. It's not clear it's a commonly attempted immigration strategy, except as a way, perhaps, to confer citizenship on (and assumed better life for) the children. The term "anchor baby" is most often used in rhetoric that is opposed to immigration reforms or "amnesty" for undocumented immigrants, and one that doesn't make much sense, given that the "anchor" analogy usually doesn't work.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
IvanP said:
"Anchor babies" are a terrible immigration strategy. Born in the US, the babies are citizens, but can't sponsor their parents until they reach the age of 21, and not if the parents are living in the US illegally, so the parents can be deported while the kids wind up in foster care or with lawful immigrant relatives. It's not clear it's a commonly attempted immigration strategy, except as a way, perhaps, to confer citizenship on (and assumed better life for) the children. The term "anchor baby" is most often used in rhetoric that is opposed to immigration reforms or "amnesty" for undocumented immigrants, and one that doesn't make much sense, given that the "anchor" analogy usually doesn't work.
Its conservative rhetoric aimed mainly at the Mexican illegal immigrant/seasonal migrant population. The US immigration policies are so out of date they make ours look cutting edge.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Its conservative rhetoric aimed mainly at the Mexican illegal immigrant/seasonal migrant population. The US immigration policies are so out of date they make ours look cutting edge.
Agreed, I just didn't want to say anything that would ignite a heated discussion!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
IvanP said:
Agreed, I just didn't want to say anything that would ignite a heated discussion!
Yeah, in the back of my mind I was afraid I would unleash doomsday upon the thread.

Immigration in the US might the straw that splits the camel's back. That and the gun laws.

sanda

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-May-2013
AOR Received.
09-May-2013
LANDED..........
15-March-2014
Hi all, I'm still working on preparing the application and thinking what to do.

We are going with Inland application as common-law.
We had a long-relationship period after consecutive 15 months cohabitation so sending emails and skype log to proof our continuous relationship. However that would be 300+ pages if printed out.

Is that worth to submit all of them? I'm wondering CIC officer won't go through all.
Or I just pick up some and have the volume reduced?

I'd appreciate any advise.

Thank you in advance!

LiaJoi

Apr 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-March-2013
AOR Received.
16-April-2013
File Transfer...
23-April-2013 AOR From Visa Office 7-May-2013
Passport Req..
13-August-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-August-2013
LANDED..........
17-August-2013
sanda said:
Hi all, I'm still working on preparing the application and thinking what to do.

We are going with Inland application as common-law.
We had a long-relationship period after consecutive 15 months cohabitation so sending emails and skype log to proof our continuous relationship. However that would be 300+ pages if printed out.

Is that worth to submit all of them? I'm wondering CIC officer won't go through all.
Or I just pick up some and have the volume reduced?

I'd appreciate any advise.

Thank you in advance!
hey my case is different since i applied outland but i send as much proof as a could even if they dont go through all i think is always good also i sent photos but not more than 50, i choose then from different trips i made to visit him and with my family and his family as well and stuff like that

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
amikety said:
Ever heard of Anchor Babies? It happens in the USA all the time.
Where exactly in the USA this happens all the time? At the rate illegal immigrants have children you should hear about them obtaining a way to stay everyday. Fact is that Anchor Babies are not as successful as some americans would like to think they are. Having a baby in the US gives no rights to stay in the country for the parents until that baby is of age to sponsor and has a minimum income (so the parents can be sponsored). I have known several families that have been deported from the US and they have US born children. They do not deport the children but when the parents go, they children do as well. The cases you hear about are extremely rare and as such they get all of the publicity (as opposed to cases where parents are forced out of the country because no one cares about illegal immigrants). The cases that allow parents to stay are not based on their relationship to the US born baby, but to other issues, from compassionate grounds to abused women.

PS: It is amazing how oblivous Americans are about immigration, until they face emigrating to, for example, Canada - and even then they have no clue what it all entails, many think they will be immediately citizens of Canada, will lose they US citizenship or that just by marrying a Canadian it gives them the right to stay in Canada as they please. Nothing farther from the truth. So, guess what? The process is the same in the US. No one is entitled to stay in the US automatically, everyone that is foreign born has to go through the immigration process in the US too. Canada, however, has immigration classes that allow a person to come and stay in Canada without having a relationship with a Canadian (or Canadian PR). The US lacks those classes and therefore illegal immigration is more broad (as highly skilled people are found to be illegal immigratns as well). The US employment class takes forever and it can be denied even to people with great skills. US citizens often defend their immigration process asking people to go back to their countries to get in-line for immigration while in most cases there is no such line - the line argument is unnecessary but politicians use it well taking advantage of american's ignorance. The US has a few lines, and most include the family class. Other two lines are Entrepeneur and Employment. Canada has many more lines for those not linked by family ties to Canada; many more than the US has, and that is why Canada in the end attracts more highly skilled immigrant every year (thus reducing the need for marriages of convenience).

mickeyindia

Dec 14, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI,

Can anyone help me understand the GCMS notes application?
I wanted to scan through the application myself.

1) I being a sponsor ( do i have rights to see the GCMS notes to see the application file number)
2) Should i need the principal applicant's consent for the same?
3) There is a 4a or 4b to choose physical file or electronic file? Which one should we select.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
cempjwi said:
Where exactly in the USA this happens all the time? At the rate illegal immigrants have children you should hear about them obtaining a way to stay everyday. Fact is that Anchor Babies are not as successful as some americans would like to think they are. Having a baby in the US gives no rights to stay in the country for the parents until that baby is of age to sponsor and has a minimum income (so the parents can be sponsored). I have known several families that have been deported from the US and they have US born children. They do not deport the children but when the parents go, they children do as well. The cases you hear about are extremely rare and as such they get all of the publicity (as opposed to cases where parents are forced out of the country because no one cares about illegal immigrants). The cases that allow parents to stay are not based on their relationship to the US born baby, but to other issues, from compassionate grounds to abused women.

PS: It is amazing how oblivous Americans are about immigration, until they face emigrating to, for example, Canada - and even then they have no clue what it all entails, many think they will be immediately citizens of Canada, will lose they US citizenship or that just by marrying a Canadian it gives them the right to stay in Canada as they please. Nothing farther from the truth. So, guess what? The process is the same in the US. No one is entitled to stay in the US automatically, everyone that is foreign born has to go through the immigration process in the US too. Canada, however, has immigration classes that allow a person to come and stay in Canada without having a relationship with a Canadian (or Canadian PR). The US lacks those classes and therefore illegal immigration is more broad (as highly skilled people are found to be illegal immigratns as well). The US employment class takes forever and it can be denied even to people with great skills. US citizens often defend their immigration process asking people to go back to their countries to get in-line for immigration while in most cases there is no such line - the line argument is unnecessary but politicians use it well taking advantage of american's ignorance. The US has a few lines, and most include the family class. Other two lines are Entrepeneur and Employment. Canada has many more lines for those not linked by family ties to Canada; many more than the US has, and that is why Canada in the end attracts more highly skilled immigrant every year (thus reducing the need for marriages of convenience).
I happened to have tons of Mexican and Brazillian friends in the US thst did this and it worked (so far). There are cases from all over the globe, so please don't think I'm targeting a certain group. I was merely informing another user about something similar to a topic we were discussing.

And as far as trying to have an anchor baby, I don't blame anyone that does it. Human rights in the USA is better than a lot of places. When I read stories from people here about theri home countries, I have great admiration. I don't know if I could survive some of those situations.

Baby1990

Star Member
Oct 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends,

I wish I could have a little help regarding option c printout.
I filled my tax return and got assessments from cra, I called that toll free number so many times but its not transferring any call to any agent.
Is this possible if I would sent just my assessment to cic for spouse sponsorship. I didn't apply my file yet.

Thank you
:'(

LiaJoi

Apr 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-March-2013
AOR Received.
16-April-2013
File Transfer...
23-April-2013 AOR From Visa Office 7-May-2013
Passport Req..
13-August-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-August-2013
LANDED..........
17-August-2013
Baby1990 said:
Hi friends,

I filled my tax return and got assessments from cra, I called that toll free number so many times but its not transferring any call to any agent.
Is this possible if I would sent just my assessment to cic for spouse sponsorship. I didn't apply my file yet.

Thank you

oh man it took me a while to get my option c haha but i recommend you to keep calling and ask for it even thow the option c doesnt say option c on it they are a lil bit different, it also shows that your married and that you arent on welfare or anykind of goverment help :)

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
amikety said:
I happened to have tons of Mexican and Brazillian friends in the US thst did this and it worked (so far). There are cases from all over the globe, so please don't think I'm targeting a certain group. I was merely informing another user about something similar to a topic we were discussing.

And as far as trying to have an anchor baby, I don't blame anyone that does it. Human rights in the USA is better than a lot of places. When I read stories from people here about theri home countries, I have great admiration. I don't know if I could survive some of those situations.
I didn't think you were targeting any group in specific. I did say that the perception of someone being allowed to stay in any country because an citizen baby exists, while the truth may be somewhat different. Many go through almost final immigration proceedings while having citizen babies and many have a reason to fear going back to their home countries, where the contions in which they live are less than the minumum bearable; however, immigration policy dictates that economical reasons are just not enough to grant immigration status. In all, most often, other are the reasons used to be allowed to stay, not the anchor babies themselves. Immigration status is never granted stating "yup, anchor baby equals you can stay"; however, if immigration determines that the baby citizen will suffer greatly by the departy of the parent, they may decide to let them stay under compassionate grounds. In many cases they have the option to take away the child or just let the child go back to the country of the parents.

You may find that certain regional immigration enforcement offices are more linient than others, and easier towards citizens of certain countries, but in all, anchor babies are more of a poster child political position than a generalized reality.

Foreign people are in certain countries by choice, but being illegal is not a choice, considering that the options are rarely many and pehaps going back to their home country is definitely not one of them.

Joshua2013

Mar 9, 2013
hello i have a question regarding how to get the account number for the receiver general for canada to make the family class sponsorship application from abroad.

per example /// Canadian citizens living abroad may submit a payment via internal bank draft or money order. However, in order to process your application, your fee payment must meet the following criteria:

be payable to the Receiver General for Canada?
be in Canadian funds?
be cashable through a Canadian financial institution?
clearly indicate name, street address and account number of the financial institution in Canada where it may be cashed?

How do you fill-out the money order and where do you have the account number for the receiver general for canada? ::)

shutterbug

Mar 22, 2013
Baby1990 said:
Hi friends,

Thank you
Yes your assessment is good enough but it must be the original. Make a copy for yourself

razz

Nov 28, 2009
Punjab
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/06/2010
Hello ,
I need ur guidance. I applied for PR in June 2010, havent got MR yet. I got married in Jan. My wife is Cad PR.

1.Now to update my status to CIC what documents would i need.

2.Will i have to with draw my old file to apply for spouse visa.I havent applied for family class spouse visa yet.

3. My wife is not going to accompany me to canada as she is already their, so will i have to pay application fee for her also when I will update my status with CIC.

Plz guide me I will have to wait for my previous file to finalize or to apply for the family class visa also.