+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can read about the 5 year ban here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Five-year Sponsorship Bar for persons who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner

On March 2, 2012, changes to the eligibility requirements for sponsors came into force. These changes bar a previously-sponsored spouse or partner, from sponsoring a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident, even if the sponsor acquired citizenship during that period. Other members of the family class will not be affected by the regulatory changes.

So.. that means your partner can sponsor you but only when it is 5 years after she landed as a PR. If she landed in 2007, that should be this year. If she landed before April 20th in 2007, she could even sponsor you right now. If she landed in December 2007, she can not apply for you until December.

RaiDieSe

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
May 9, 2012
File Transfer...
August 7, 2012
Med's Done....
April 23, 2012
Passport Req..
Nov 27, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 2, 2013
LANDED..........
January 24, 2013
hi im new here can someone help me im being sponsored by my wife she's citizen and were married last march 16 2012 im in the process of filling up the application i have this problem on my previous common law relationship im living here in the philippines will i still declare her as a common law and put it in the application coz we live together for 7 years and we have a 7 yr old son and also will i still get this declaration of severance on common law relationship i need your help tnx guyz!

leo77

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
I thought i had to put my ex partner down as common law (was living together for 4 years).

So i mentioned her on the forms, CiC contacted me and asked for separation papers, i made a mistake as my home country does not recognize "common law", so i replied stateing this and signed a declaration that i was never been legally bound to her by law or financially, check with your home country to see if common law is classed the same as canada.

You will be different due to the child i would imagine, maybe someone else can be more specific to your case.

Leo

RaiDieSe

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
May 9, 2012
File Transfer...
August 7, 2012
Med's Done....
April 23, 2012
Passport Req..
Nov 27, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 2, 2013
LANDED..........
January 24, 2013
tnx Leo here in the philippines they dont recognize common law but they called it here "Live in partner" im a bit confused on this i dont know if i will declare my previous relationship like you said if i declare her i will provide a separation paper or what they called it here an affidavit. i just want a sure answer for this i dont want the immigration to think that im hiding something since obviously i have a son.

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
addt'l docs sent on Jan. 11 and recv'd by CEM on Jan. 14 2nd addt'l docs reqt'd on Feb 26,2013 sent on March 21 recv'd on March 22,2013
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Aug.13, 2012...in-process June 7, 2013...DM July 11, 2013
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
cgagnon said:
Some get AOR (aknowlegment of receipt)but they are becoming a rare comodity we are all awaiting everyone from mid-january until now are still waiting for approval we are at 84+ days and counting... They are not very reliable! Welcome to the waiting game!
I don't what to expect next whether to receive an AOR or letter that they are already processing the papers. If they are to notify the applicants are they going to send email to me or to my sponsor? or are they sending it thru postal to my address?

Thanks!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
You're welcome. I don't have an official answer here, but please see what I found below. Other more experienced members may be able to confirm.

Note: I would think a DMP knows what to do. Anyway, the DMP should double check with their official contacts. There are some contact information in Appendix I.

Source: http:// www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/dmp-handbook.pdf

HANDBOOK FOR Designated Medical Practitioners

Page 11-7
Conducting an Immigration Medical Examination
Collate the completed Medical Report forms (in order) with laboratory reports
and chest x-ray(s), and then arrange for the direct and timely transmission
of these documents, by mail or courier, to the RMO. Medical office contact
information is available in Appendix I.

Page i-2
Regional Medical Offices
(Beijing, London, Manila, New Delhi, Ottawa, Paris, Port of Spain & Singapore)

Page ii-6
Medical Instructions
The doctor will sign the form and mail the first copy to the Canadian Regional Medical
Office (RMO) with the results of the examination.
You will be given the second copy as
proof you underwent the medical examination. You must include this copy with your
immigrant application when you send it to your sponsor. Photocopies will not be
accepted.

big bird said:
Thank you for ur reply. It's very complicated.Yes, I got the form IMM1017. My DMP asked me where to send the medical test paper to Mississauga, ON in Canada or to Beijing Visa office of Canada? As I wasn't sure I asked him to wait until I make sure. Do you know where to send it? I called embassy but they don't answer.

anton1023

Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 6 2011
Passport Req..
Jan 30 2012
hi guys new here. I was sponsored by my wife. Family Class Visa.

Application received Oct 21,2011
Decision has been made and then forwarded to manila offfice
Letter by embassy to pass passport to RCBC canadian embassy January 9,2011
Made a mistake instead of courier drop box passport at RCBC level 2 family Class. Feb 6,2011
Still waiting for visa after numerous emails, fax and telephone inquiry.

sa Application status ko application received and medical exam received pa lang..
sa application status ng wife ko decision has been made..

Immigrant call center would just tell me to check web site.
What should I do? gusto ko na makuha visa ko para makasama ko na wife ko...

Have done 3 personal visits sa embassy but written inquiry pa rin..
3months nang nasa kanila unG passport ko.. ung kasabay ko nag apply nandoon na sa canada..

Im running out of options here guys. Di ko na alam gagawin ko..

anton1023

Apr 20, 2012
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 6 2011
Passport Req..
Jan 30 2012
And mag eexpire na ung medical ko by june 2011.. Almost 3 months na sa kanila ung passport ko. Mag memedical na naman ata ako dahil ala pa din visa ko.. Ala din reason embassy kung bakit ala pa visa ko.. actually ala pa reply sa mga fax and email ko... Edmonton Alberta destination ko.. Thanks in advance..

MUMPY

Star Member
Apr 11, 2012
FARIDKOT
Category........
Visa Office......
DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
ALONG WITH FILE SUBMISSION
Interview........
WAVED I GUESS
Passport Req..
23-FEB-2012
VISA ISSUED...
NO IDEA
LANDED..........
VERY NEXT DAY ONCE I GET MY VISA BAGS PACKED
Hi everyone
was just wondering is anyone in this forums who have applied at delhi in nov 2011

thanks

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Hi Mumpy,

Try here

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applicants-of-new-delhi-2010-t45583.0.html

cappuccino123

Mar 19, 2012
Hi Seniors. Need your help please revert on priority so that I can take the appropriate steps to avoid any disappointment in mere future.

I have just landed and currently staying with my friend . I have provided my friends address to get my PR card delivered. Now after getting the PR card I want to go back to India and get married to my boyfriend in India. Mine and his parents are aware of our love relationship and they have agreed for our marriage. My friend has advise me not to go immediately after getting the PR card as this may reflect as red flag for CIC and my sponsorship application will be rejected as our marriage was not genuine (please note- we will do both court marriage and traditional marriage) or it is the case of marriage of convenience (which is the hot topic now a days in Canada). Please advise what to do?

1. Should I wait for 6 months in Canada,do a job and then get married after 6 months in India. If I do this I will not have any proof of courtship (togetherness) besides evidence of chat and letter exchanged while I am in Canada. I would be financially independent while applying for spouse sponsership. Will my spouse sponsorship be rejected as there is very less time spent together as couple. (I will certainly provide marriage photos and friends letter to the CIC while applying for sponsorship)

2. If I leave immediately to India after getting my PR Card, get married and stay in India for 6 months and return back to Canada to sponsor my spouse. I will have lots of proof of courtship (togetherness) besides evidence of joint accounts,chat, gift and letter exchanged while I am in India. I would be not be financially strong while applying for spouse sponsership. Secondly my friend said that my PR card may be revoked as I was away from Canada for 6 months only to get married to let my spouse a easy way to Canada after getting my PR card. Even my spouse sponsorship will surely get rejected.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cappuccino123 said:
Hi Seniors. Need your help please revert on priority so that I can take the appropriate steps to avoid any disappointment in mere future.

I have just landed and currently staying with my friend . I have provided my friends address to get my PR card delivered. Now after getting the PR card I want to go back to India and get married to my boyfriend in India. Mine and his parents are aware of our love relationship and they have agreed for our marriage. My friend has advise me not to go immediately after getting the PR card as this may reflect as red flag for CIC and my sponsorship application will be rejected as our marriage was not genuine (please note- we will do both court marriage and traditional marriage) or it is the case of marriage of convenience (which is the hot topic now a days in Canada). Please advise what to do?

1. Should I wait for 6 months in Canada,do a job and then get married after 6 months in India. If I do this I will not have any proof of courtship (togetherness) besides evidence of chat and letter exchanged while I am in Canada. I would be financially independent while applying for spouse sponsership. Will my spouse sponsorship be rejected as there is very less time spent together as couple. (I will certainly provide marriage photos and friends letter to the CIC while applying for sponsorship)

2. If I leave immediately to India after getting my PR Card, get married and stay in India for 6 months and return back to Canada to sponsor my spouse. I will have lots of proof of courtship (togetherness) besides evidence of joint accounts,chat, gift and letter exchanged while I am in India. I would be not be financially strong while applying for spouse sponsership. Secondly my friend said that my PR card may be revoked as I was away from Canada for 6 months only to get married to let my spouse a easy way to Canada after getting my PR card. Even my spouse sponsorship will surely get rejected.
Your friend is wrong.

If you marry very soon after landing as a PR, your main problem is that they may be ticked off that you were in a serious relationship when you landed and they may ask why you did not marry before you got your PR and add your husband to your application at that point. They may ask if you did not live with your husband before getting your PR because if you had lived with him for 12 months before getting your PR, you would qualify as common law partners which means you should have included him in your application. However, if you were not living with him, you have nothing to worry about and you can simply say that you did not want to rush the marriage just so you could add him to your application. You have done nothing wrong.

The main focus of immigration is always that the relationship is genuine.

You do not have to show minimum income to sponsor a spouse. However, it has to be clear that you have means to support yourselves. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor so if you go back and get married soon, you can stay with your husband for a while but then you must return to Canada in order to apply to sponsor him. If you have a job already before you send in the sponsorship application, that would help as you would be able to show some level of supporting yourself.

Through India, sponsorship is pretty fast. He might be able to join you within 6 months after applying. You should not leave Canada during the sponsorship processing. If you must, do not stay away more than 2-3 weeks and make sure you are checking your messages and somebody is checking your mail in case immigration tries to contact you.

You can not get in trouble for leaving Canada for 6 months right after getting your PR. Back before 2002 you had to stay in Canada 6 months out of any 12 in order to keep your PR but they changed that to 2 years out of 5. You can therefore leave for up to 3 years without having a problem.

EliandMaria

Feb 4, 2012
Kitchener Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12/17/2012
Hi, need help.

In the "Document checklist, sponsored person"

number - 22 - Identity and civil status documents

I already attached my Passport copy do I need to attach my National ID as its in Hebrew so I don't see the need to attach it considering i have attached my passport.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
Hi EliandMaria, you can refer to the Country Specific Guide for details of documents to be provied by the sponsored person. Assuming you're going to apply through Paris, then the Western Europe guide says:

Source: www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
Provide national identity cards, birth certificates, baptismal certificates or other official document confirming relationship for you and each of your family members.
If you are married, you must include a marriage certificate. If you are now divorced, you must include final divorce certificates; if separated, a separation certificate. If your marriage was annuled, include a copy of the annulment. If your former spouse or common-law partner is deceased, you must include your spouse’s or partner’s death certificate. Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate or Immigrant or Permanent Resident Visa for any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
If you are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, provide proof of that relationship.

TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORTS
Passports or travel documents for you, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children. Include only copies of pages showing the passport number, date of issue and expiration, your photo, name, surname (family name), date and place of birth. If you reside in a country different from your nationality, include a copy of your visa or residency permit for the country in which you currently reside. Please note that all prospective immigrants must hold a valid regular passport; diplomatic, official or public affairs passports are not valid for an application for permanent residence in Canada.

EliandMaria said:
Hi, need help.

In the "Document checklist, sponsored person"

number - 22 - Identity and civil status documents

I already attached my Passport copy do I need to attach my National ID as its in Hebrew so I don't see the need to attach it considering i have attached my passport.

EliandMaria

Feb 4, 2012
Kitchener Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12/17/2012
FILLING OUT PART 3: COUNTRY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS -- ISRAEL

we are coming from Israel...do i need to provide both documentation (national Id and birth certificate????)