canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
VanessaMoore said:
That made me think, because an outland application in Brazil is due in five months now, and applying inland I would have to wait up to four months to get a OWP. I'm just not sure how bad it would be to live under so much pressure.

Also, I don't think we will pursue the application with a lawyer. This first time would only be for consulting. Depending on the decisions we make after that it might be an option.

One more thing, I have a kitty that he already loves and treats like his. Would you think it's too risky to bring her with me this December? I mean, my justification on the trip is to spend holidays with friends and my boyfriend. I guess if I bring the kitty they might suspect I have second intentions in staying? Which is not a lie, but I wonder if this would count negatively as to them giving me six months stay.
It would be beyond stupid for you to apply inland. Sao Paulo has the fastest processing time of any CIC office in the world. It averages only a few months.

Don't bother with a lawyer. Waste of money and time and they usually end up providing bad advice.

With proof of funds and the submitted PR app, you have pretty much no chance of being refused a visitor extension.

Bringing the cat is a risk, as visitors don't usually travel with their cats. I would leave it at home for now.

VancouverBrit

Oct 9, 2015
Thanks Leon for posting such good information on this topic. I have a few questions about the open work permit, and if anyone could answer any of them I'd really appreciate it...

My fiance is sponsoring me through an inland PR application. We submitted the app in April and included my work permit application in there. However, I didn't realize that I had omitted the open work permit fee, so just my work permit app was returned to me in July after almost four months of waiting :(. I immediately paid the missing fee and resubmitted my work permit application to Vegreville, AB, as the person I spoke to at the CIC directed me to.

So, that was 2.5 months ago. At that time, my visitor status was still valid. It ran out in September, and I haven't left and re-entered the country because my immigration consultant told me that once my application was in, I shouldn't leave the country until I have a work permit, as I'm under some sort of implied status under an inland application.

My questions are:

1) Is it true that I shouldn't leave in the interim? Or will my staying here past the six-month window affect my work permit application?
2) Once I get my work permit (fingers crossed, in late November) does that allow me to live here and leave and re-enter without hassle at the border? I'm a British and American citizen, if that has any bearing, and I have no other visa to stay in Canada.
3) Does anyone have any recent updates on the time frame for receiving the open work permit through the family-class sponsorship application? I'd like to visit my family for Christmas, but I'm so scared to buy a flight in case it hasn't come through by mid-December.

Thank you in advance!!

VanessaMoore

Aug 26, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
It would be beyond stupid for you to apply inland. Sao Paulo has the fastest processing time of any CIC office in the world. It averages only a few months.

Don't bother with a lawyer. Waste of money and time and they usually end up providing bad advice.

With proof of funds and the submitted PR app, you have pretty much no chance of being refused a visitor extension.

Bringing the cat is a risk, as visitors don't usually travel with their cats. I would leave it at home for now.
I don't think the "beyond stupid" part was necessary, but thank you anyways for the advice.

gpanda

Oct 10, 2015
I am a Canadian Citizen and currently living outside Canada. In the meanwhile I got married to an Indian. How Can i apply for her Canadian Passport / Citizenship?

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
boblong87 said:
Having application in process mean anything these days?
We submitted application in April 2014, yes 14 and went IP in June 2015, yes 15...So for us No!

skrulitski

Star Member
Jun 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015 SA Approval 29-10-2015
File Transfer...
20-10-2015
Med's Done....
Jul 9, 2015 Remed Nov 2, 2016
Interview........
Nov 4, 2016
Hello
I am a Canadian citizen who applied to sponsor my husband who is in India. We are waiting for me to be approved as a sponsor here in Canada. The current processing time per the CIC website says 55 days for sponsor approval and that they are working on applications received August 7th. I am now sitting at 66 days and have not had an email regarding approval. My application was received Aug 4th and received AOR Sep 2nd. What could be the reason for the delay?

Thanks for your help!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gpanda said:
I am a Canadian Citizen and currently living outside Canada. In the meanwhile I got married to an Indian. How Can i apply for her Canadian Passport / Citizenship?
You can't apply for her Canadian passport / citizenship.

You have to sponsor her for permanent residency first. Note that as part of this application you will have to include proof you plan to return and live in Canada once her PR visa is approved. So if you don't plan on returning to Canada for some time to liver permanently, I would hold off submitting the application.

She will only qualify for citizenship once she has first become a PR and then lived in Canada for four years out of a six year period.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
VancouverBrit said:
1) Is it true that I shouldn't leave in the interim? Or will my staying here past the six-month window affect my work permit application?
2) Once I get my work permit (fingers crossed, in late November) does that allow me to live here and leave and re-enter without hassle at the border? I'm a British and American citizen, if that has any bearing, and I have no other visa to stay in Canada.
3) Does anyone have any recent updates on the time frame for receiving the open work permit through the family-class sponsorship application? I'd like to visit my family for Christmas, but I'm so scared to buy a flight in case it hasn't come through by mid-December.
1) Generally you should not leave Canada at all while an inland application is being processed. If for any reason you are refused re-enter to Canada, this will cancel your inland application and you'll have to start again from scratch with the outland process. You would have been better off to apply outland than inland, but what's done is done.
2) No - it doesn't. You can certainly remain in Canada. But if you leave - there is no guarantee you will be allowed back into the country. Based on your citizenship, you should be allowed back in - but again, there are absolutely no guarantees. This is why we always advise people to apply outland if they have plans to leave the country - plus the overall process is much much faster than inland for Americans/Brits.
3) Processing of open work permits is taking around four months. But again, this has no relevance to your trip to visit your family since the open work permit does not allow you to leave and re-enter the country (in fact, once you received the OWP, you'll see the words "does not authorize reentry" printed right on the work permit).

iceebaby

Star Member
Jun 7, 2015
how much does one need to pay for spousal sponsorship if the person being sponsored has two dependents from another spouse, they are not coming to Canada (not included in the application). Also, do you have to pay the new $100 "open permit holder fee" in addition to the open permit application fee of $155? Lastly, do both application for open permit and sponsorship go together in one envelope? Thank you!

AdeAhmed

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
folks im looking for some advice. I'm from Toronto.

I am getting married (final cultural event is today, literally) to a US citizen in Houston.

We plan to fly back to toronto on Tuesday where we will get legally married in Ontario, and then begin the PR process.

I had a few questions:

1. At the border, if my wife tells CBSA that we are getting married in toronto, and has a return ticket and that we are going to start the immigration process, will that be sufficient to get her through the border?
2. What kind of health coverage does she need to get? No OHIP until she is a PR, so some kind of blue cross or something? Any recommendations?
3. I am still to book her return ticket. How long of a stay is reasonable to not get CBSA suspicious?

Amalia.S

Jun 25, 2015
Hello everyone :)

My canadian husband and i are almost ready to send with our outland application.

I just have 1 question regarding the IMM 5562 form (supplementary information-your travels).

It asks for my spouse's travel who in this case is my sponsor. Do i have to fill it out?

Thank you have a good Thanksgiving!!!!

YoungMadre

Oct 10, 2015
Hi all ;D
This is quite a big thread and hard to go through and decipher, so bare with me if you've heard everything I've said before. But here goes
I've been with my fiance for a few years ago and we're getting married in december.
I live in Canada he lives in the united states. We're both young ( 24-25) and don't make that much money yet but we're tired of the back and forth of travel and the costs that come with. With that being said were concerned about the costs going into the application process and also the amount of money i'd need to make as income to support him (A cousin went through the same process but shes much older; said she had to have 25,000 saved up + assets).

Can I possibly sponsor him on my fulltime retail income?
or
Would it better to move to the US?

thanks in advance!

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
YoungMadre said:
Hi all ;D
This is quite a big thread and hard to go through and decipher, so bare with me if you've heard everything I've said before. But here goes
I've been with my fiance for a few years ago and we're getting married in december.
I live in Canada he lives in the united states. We're both young ( 24-25) and don't make that much money yet but we're tired of the back and forth of travel and the costs that come with. With that being said were concerned about the costs going into the application process and also the amount of money i'd need to make as income to support him (A cousin went through the same process but shes much older; said she had to have 25,000 saved up + assets).

Can I possibly sponsor him on my fulltime retail income?
or
Would it better to move to the US?

thanks in advance!
There is no minimum income required to sponsor a spouse. That said, you have to prove to CIC that you will be able to support yourselves without going on welfare. There have been several full-time students and stay at home moms who have sponsored their spouses.

As for whether it's better to move to the US, that would be your decision. I am not familiar with the process in the US.

The cost of the application is $1040, plus the cost of the medical and any forms that you might need to have translated and notarized (check your country-specific guide).

iceebaby

Star Member
Jun 7, 2015
how much does one need to pay for spousal sponsorship if the person being sponsored has two dependents from another spouse, they are not coming to Canada (not included in the application). Also, do you have to pay the new $100 "open permit holder fee" in addition to the open permit application fee of $155? Lastly, do both application for open permit and sponsorship go together in one envelope? Thank you! :)