Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tpx1915 said:
1. Is there any way of knowing roughly when we should expect the process to be completed? Obviously it would just be a guess, but has anyone done it recently who could tell me how long it took them?
You can check the thread on this forum dedicated to Manila applicants. Will give you some indication what people's recent experiences are. I would guess around 10-12 months though, so would expect completion around May - July this year.

2. If the process is not complete, we still plan on moving to Canada at the end of April and waiting there for the process to finish. In that case, how should we proceed? Will they email us before sending the paperwork? We'd rather the paperwork went to Canada than to Korea if we've already moved to Canada.
As soon as you move to Canada, then immediately change her address on file with Manila office to your Canadian address. In this case when the PR app is approved, they will mail COPR documents directly to Canada, and then you can just do the PR landing at closest USA land border.

Note your wife can not actually "move" or "live" in Canada until PR is completed. Until then, she is just a visitor, and should be coming to Canada with a return airplane ticket dated a max 6 months later. She should also be honest about having PR app in progress, but that in case it's not completed in time she is prepared to leave if her visitor status runs out and she can't get an extension (of course this will most likely not happen).

3. My wife submitted a health check with the application, but it expires in the summer. Last month she had to have surgery and she is worried that if the Canadian government sees that she's had surgery they'd be less likely to accept her. This wouldn't be a problem, would it?
The surgery is irrelevant and will have zero impact if she needs to do a new medical. For spousal class sponsorship, the ONLY thing they care about is contagious diseases (like tuberculosis).

4. When we arrive in Canada we will be without health insurance. In Ontario, you need to live there for 3 months before health insurance is activated. Can you recommend a health insurance provider?
If you are a returning Canadian resident and have been out of Canada for i think at least 6 months, then you may need to wait 3 months from arriving before you can get OHIP.

Your wife though has NO basis for applying for OHIP as a visitor. So she needs to wait until her PR is approved, and then 3 months after the landing date, before she will have OHIP. So she may need to wait longer than 3 months if her PR isn't approved before you leave.

You can check some travel emergency medical insurance costs here: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada
My wife used this site while waiting for OHIP, made a claim, and we had no problems at all.

tpx1915

Mar 3, 2014
Rob_TO,

You are awesome. Thank you for answering my questions. If there's any way I can make it up to you, I'd be happy to. If you're in Toronto, let me buy you a beer.

Thanks again,

Tom

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tpx1915 said:
Rob_TO,

You are awesome. Thank you for answering my questions. If there's any way I can make it up to you, I'd be happy to. If you're in Toronto, let me buy you a beer.

Thanks again,

Tom
Yep my wife and I live in Toronto! I like Guinness or Stella :)

Actually we were in the same situation, we were living here while her outland PR was being processed (back then in Seoul). They mailed us COPR here after approval, and she did landing at Niagara Falls. Very easy process.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
tpx1915 said:
4. When we arrive in Canada we will be without health insurance. In Ontario, you need to live there for 3 months before health insurance is activated.
In terms of OHIP, you can get it a little sooner than 3 months after COPR. I described the process for getting it sooner in this thread. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
03/2014 asked for remed and crim recheck
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
06/2014-E -CAS update shows decision made, waiting on what the decision is
Rob_TO said:
Yep my wife and I live in Toronto! I like Guinness or Stella :)

Actually we were in the same situation, we were living here while her outland PR was being processed (back then in Seoul). They mailed us COPR here after approval, and she did landing at Niagara Falls. Very easy process.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
First off, I'd like to thank everyone on the forum, the information provided on everyone else's experiences has been quite helpful.
Especially looking at the updates for when papers are received, updated medicals, it helps me mentally benchmark what should be happening during the process.

I wanted to post (not sure how to add my details on the left side like everyone else), because I've been trying to be patient but wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing a delay like mine.

Here's the short version,
My wife is south korean, and we applied for the out of canada sponsorship.
Papers were sent in Jan 2013, website states receeved on January 5th with medical. Sponsorship gets approved pretty much immediately. Notified that papers are sent to Seoul( at that time, before it was closed), on Jan 25th 2013. At this point I was real optimistic and one happy dude.

Haven't heard a peep since. Its creeping up to 14 months, ( originally when i submitted it was 8 months), and i'm growing concerned they haven't asked for any additional details, etc. I understand the closing of the embassy in Seoul and the strike don't help matters much.

I'm hoping someone reading this will have something magical to write that will put me at ease, but the 13 month silence is picking at my brain. Most of the posts i have seen seem to have some sort of communication from the visa office regarding additional details or and updated med check within a 12 month time period.

Thanks in advance for any help from the community, and as quoted above by someone else, i'm also in Toronto and happy to buy a beer for any help.

Cheers,
Andrew

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
PatientCanuck said:
Notified that papers are sent to Seoul( at that time, before it was closed), on Jan 25th 2013. At this point I was real optimistic and one happy dude.

Haven't heard a peep since. Its creeping up to 14 months, ( originally when i submitted it was 8 months), and i'm growing concerned they haven't asked for any additional details, etc. I understand the closing of the embassy in Seoul and the strike don't help matters much.

I'm hoping someone reading this will have something magical to write that will put me at ease, but the 13 month silence is picking at my brain.
There is 1 thing you need to do asap, and that is order your GCMS notes to see just what the heck is going on with your file.

When the Seoul office closed down they forwarded your app to Manila, and you need to make sure it actually got transferred properly and someone in Manila started processing it.

Depending what GCMS notes show, you should then also contact your MP to see if they can push further into what's going on, of give a gentle nudge to the Manila office.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
I agree with Rob. Order your notes and see what they say. That's a long time to wait without hearing anything. Here's the link to the online request form https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
Thank you Rob and Bart, i checked this forum first thing this morning with the hopes someone had responded and i wasn't disappointed.
I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on how to do the request for docs, ( couldn't find it this morning however). I went to the link you posted and submitted a request and attached scans of passport pages for my self and my wife as well as the consent form.

I did have one question about it, since i couldn't seem to confirm if i had entered the correct data. On the form, the first page i fill in my own details, and most of it was straight forward. However, when i get to the page where you link your case file number, application number etc, it has a spot listed for the person you are requesting it for. Now i know on the CIC website i always search my own details, ( enter my last name, my date of birth etc), and it links to the updates on our application. however, it seems strange to submit the details for my wife asking about her update without including her info.

For anyone who has done this is the past on the page where you link the application number, UCI, and fill out the details of the applicant, is it the sponsors DOB and last name you submit, or the person being sponsored. Just trying to avoid any future delays in receiving some details.

Thanks again, you both earned a pint.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
PatientCanuck said:
I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on how to do the request for docs, ( couldn't find it this morning however).
Perhaps this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E_dq_uLVo

Sorry i've never done this request before, so can't really help on the details.

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
That's the one i saw before and couldn't locate, thanks

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
@ tpx1915
@ Rob_TO

I'm pretty much following suit with you guys. Seems like we are on the same timeline. I just had my docs sent in January of this year though.

But summary-wise, same-same: "hoping to get docs before we leave Korea, but if not, we are leaving anyways"

I understand your wife can just show up visa-free, and is allowed to stay 6 months without visa extension or leaving the country. I also understand about changing your address to Canada (it's all good even if you are doing the outland process) etc. I also understand that having a return plane ticket for your wife dated less than 6 months from her arrival date is also the best bet.

My question is: what EXACTLY should my wife say to the immigration person at the airport?

Like, reality is, if for some reason her COPR is epically delayed at she DOES have to leave after 6 months, she will. We'll send her home, visit the parents and she can come back a week later kinda thing and start over again on her tourist visa :)

But, that being said, I understand that she shouldn't be saying "living or moving" to Canada to the immigration officer, but how should she be answering the 'hard questions'

For example:

What is your purpose of visit? How long do you plan on staying?

Can she just say "I'm going to visit my husband to ride out the remaining time on our immigration process" and "but if that doesn't happen in the next 6 months, we'll head on back to Korea"

A little 'script' would be handy to ease my wife's worries :)

Thanks everyone!

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Hello All,

I have been trying to add my timeline info to my profile, but I can not figure out how to do it. I looked in the "profile" section like others said, but mine doesn't seem to have the same options for some reason.

Anyone know specifically how to add the info?

Thanks in advance!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Marticus said:
Can she just say "I'm going to visit my husband to ride out the remaining time on our immigration process" and "but if that doesn't happen in the next 6 months, we'll head on back to Korea"
That's exactly what she can say. And even show the stage 1/sponsor approval paper. The main thing is to convince them you intend to follow the rules, so are fully prepared to leave after 6 months time if necessary.

Also after around 5 months time here, she can always apply for a visitor status extension. It's quite common for visa-exempt visitors here to receive a 6 or 12 months extension, without having to actually leave/return.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Red Tape Sucks said:
Hello All,

I have been trying to add my timeline info to my profile, but I can not figure out how to do it. I looked in the "profile" section like others said, but mine doesn't seem to have the same options for some reason.

Anyone know specifically how to add the info?

Thanks in advance!
In profile along the left side you should see a "Modify Profile" menu, and then under that "Forum Profile Information". That is what you use to add timeline.

I know some features you can't access until you have 10 posts, so perhaps that is the reason you can't see it yet. Make 3 more posts and try again!

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
For anyone else reading this thread, here's an update after following your advice.

I called CIC canada, and got no information. They advised my file was transferred to seoul back in january 2013, which i was aware of. I knew this was a longshot, but calling CIC when the app is out of country does seem to be a complete waste of time.

I completed the GMACs form and submitted it, have yet to hear back but i believe it takes up to 30 days. Also sent in an email to manilla directly since they advise phone calls will not be answered regarding files.

I also contacted my local MP, and within 1 day they gave me a bit of an update. They told me that it was still within the 14 month processing time( my docs would have been sent to seoul end of january 2013), and that it is in process and to check again with them, ( to contact the MP) in April. They also advised that my wife's medical would be expired and would have to redo it, but not to get it done again until they advise me to.

So for anyone else in a position similar to mine who is in a blackhole of no information, I would suggest contacting your MP first and foremost, they seem to get amswers quicker, albeit not exceptionally detailed ones.

...and now i wait....