+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying Student Visa after 1 rejection - Need inputs!

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

We have a situation with a friend that her Student Visa got rejected a month ago citing below two reasons:
1. The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
2. I am not satisfied that you will be successful in your program of study due to low language test results. refused under R216(1)(b).

Snapshot of her profile:
Indian, Age 34 years, Unmarried
Qualification MBA
Occupation - Working as a Branch Manager with private sector bank
IELTS score - 6.5 overall (5.5 in writing and Hence the reason #2 for rejection)

Now, she appeared for PTE exam and got a score of 64 (overall).
here is the section wise score:
Listening - 62
Reading - 66
Speaking - 77
Writing - 61

With this PTE score, I think she is covered for rejection reason #2.
However, we are not sure how to address rejection reason #1 in the SOP/application.
Can someone please help in guiding what could be the probable reasons resulting in rejection reason #1 so we can address them before filing for the visa again?

Please feel free to ask any further information which can help you to provide the best inputs.
Appreciate you all for taking your time and providing the guidance.

Thanks!

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
First of all, request GCMS notes to see detailed explanation of Visa Officer. Once your friend receives the notes, she should have more clarity about how to address the VO's concerns.

Applying again without the GCMS notes is gambling, in my opinion. There are lots of cases of people that reapplied without GCMS notes but why take the chances of a second refusal in your record?

ssup2406

Star Member
Jul 7, 2022
What was the programme?

Given the current qualifications (hard to find even higher qualifications) and job profile (seems to be a stable job), what did your friend do to demonstrate bona-fide intentions of being a full-time student and returning to her home country at the end of her studies? Working on this part is the most critical part I'd say, i.e. if the plan of studies and return isn't crystal clear to oneself and laid out well in the letter of explanation, then convincing the immigration authorities that the plan is reasonable is an even more farfetched thing.

I wish her good luck in her project of studies.

Reactions: wonderbly

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, request GCMS notes to see detailed explanation of Visa Officer. Once your friend receives the notes, she should have more clarity about how to address the VO's concerns.

Applying again without the GCMS notes is gambling, in my opinion. There are lots of cases of people that reapplied without GCMS notes but why take the chances of a second refusal in your record?
Thanks for the suggestion! We will do that. Though I have read on forums that they didn't get any concrete information from GCMS notes.

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What was the programme?

Given the current qualifications (hard to find even higher qualifications) and job profile (seems to be a stable job), what did your friend do to demonstrate bona-fide intentions of being a full-time student and returning to her home country at the end of her studies? Working on this part is the most critical part I'd say, i.e. if the plan of studies and return isn't crystal clear to oneself and laid out well in the letter of explanation, then convincing the immigration authorities that the plan is reasonable is an even more farfetched thing.

I wish her good luck in her project of studies.
You have a very valid point!

She intends to return back to home country to get senior leadership roles in the organization. Apparently, some people give heavy weight age to someone with good academic credentials from foreign country. In terms of compensation, the salaries at leadership roles in India is pretty high and it makes all financial sense to go back and get senior positions there instead of starting from scratch in Canada.

Reactions: ssup2406

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have a very valid point!

She intends to return back to home country to get senior leadership roles in the organization. Apparently, some people give heavy weight age to someone with good academic credentials from foreign country. In terms of compensation, the salaries at leadership roles in India is pretty high and it makes all financial sense to go back and get senior positions there instead of starting from scratch in Canada.
The program she applied for is the Graduate progamme Human Resource Management because that's what she wants to learn and expand her knowledge on given her ambition to grow in her industry.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion! We will do that. Though I have read on forums that they didn't get any concrete information from GCMS notes.
After our first refusal, we requested the GCMS notes and they took around 60 days to arrive. The file was around 70 pages long and it barely had 4 or 5 sentences with details about the officer's reasons for refusal. However, we found around 4 statements and dates that were completely wrong and we addressed them directly in our second application, which was approved.

Long story short, yes the information was very short but we found it very useful to redact our second SOP.

Good luck!

Reactions: Manju Sagwal

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
FYI - PTE scores may be accepted by the university but IRCC only accepts IELTS. PTE will not be considered in a reapplication.

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After our first refusal, we requested the GCMS notes and they took around 60 days to arrive. The file was around 70 pages long and it barely had 4 or 5 sentences with details about the officer's reasons for refusal. However, we found around 4 statements and dates that were completely wrong and we addressed them directly in our second application, which was approved.

Long story short, yes the information was very short but we found it very useful to redact our second SOP.

Good luck!
That's a great information to know!
Thanks for sharing!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The program she applied for is the Graduate progamme Human Resource Management because that's what she wants to learn and expand her knowledge on given her ambition to grow in her industry.
If she has an MBA, she needs to be going for a post graduate and not graduate level program.

Reactions: canuck78

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I see students getting their visa approved on PTE test scores.
Here is one of those threads:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pte-visa-refused.528990/page-4
My wife submitted a non-SDS application and explained that her College accepted the Duolingo Certificate and submitted it as evidence. Given that non-SDS streams do not have an official English requirement, we sent it and her application was approved.

However, her Duolingo Certificate showed a score of 125 and her College requirement was 80 if I remember correctly.

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife submitted a non-SDS application and explained that her College accepted the Duolingo Certificate and submitted it as evidence. Given that non-SDS streams do not have an official English requirement, we sent it and her application was approved.

However, her Duolingo Certificate showed a score of 125 and her College requirement was 80 if I remember correctly.
This is very helpful information!
How did you explain that the college accepted the Duolingo Certificate? Did you get any acceptance letter from the college?
Did you explained it in the SOP as well attaching the Duolingo acceptance letter from college?

Thanks in advance!