+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying Student Visa after 1 rejection - Need inputs!

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
This is very helpful information!
How did you explain that the college accepted the Duolingo Certificate? Did you get any acceptance letter from the college?
Did you explained it in the SOP as well attaching the Duolingo acceptance letter from college?

Thanks in advance!
1. We just mentioned (we did not submit any evidence of this) that given the Covid crisis, the college accepted the Duolingo Certificate as proof of English language proficiency. We submitted the certificate along with the application and that was it.

2. Yes, my wife received an acceptance letter from her college but it didn't mention anything about the Duolingo policy. This was stated in their website only.

3. In the SOP, we mentioned that even though an English certificate was not required for non-SDS applications, we were submitting the Duolingo Certificate because it was the one used for applying to the College. We also mentioned that the college required a score of 80 and my wife's score was 125.

That was it. Remember, non-SDS applications are not required to submit proof of English proficiency but I think it helps to submit proof, ideally IELTS.

Good luck!

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
1. We just mentioned (we did not submit any evidence of this) that given the Covid crisis, the college accepted the Duolingo Certificate as proof of English language proficiency. We submitted the certificate along with the application and that was it.

2. Yes, my wife received an acceptance letter from her college but it didn't mention anything about the Duolingo policy. This was stated in their website only.

3. In the SOP, we mentioned that even though an English certificate was not required for non-SDS applications, we were submitting the Duolingo Certificate because it was the one used for applying to the College. We also mentioned that the college required a score of 80 and my wife's score was 125.

That was it. Remember, non-SDS applications are not required to submit proof of English proficiency but I think it helps to submit proof, ideally IELTS.

Good luck!
Like you said, you weren't required to submit an English test. My guess is that Officer just ignored the DUOLINGO you provided.

For the OP's friend, my advice is that they take IELTS again. They have already made the mistake of submitting a subpar IELTS result and that has been noted in the file. Submitting any other test will not overcome this. Only a better IELTS score will help in this case. Even if they choose to re-apply under non-SDS where the language test is not required, the fact that they already have a low-score test in their file will always work against them.

Reactions: Geet7

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Like you said, you weren't required to submit an English test. My guess is that Officer just ignored the DUOLINGO you provided.

For the OP's friend, my advice is that they take IELTS again. They have already made the mistake of submitting a subpar IELTS result and that has been noted in the file. Submitting any other test will not overcome this. Only a better IELTS score will help in this case. Even if they choose to re-apply under non-SDS where the language test is not required, the fact that they already have a low-score test in their file will always work against them.
Agree... if a low score IELTS was submitted and was one of the reasons for refusal, I also think the only way to address it would be to submit a new IELTS with higher scores.

Great point!!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The program she applied for is the Graduate progamme Human Resource Management because that's what she wants to learn and expand her knowledge on given her ambition to grow in her industry.
Has she worked in HR before? Given that she already has an MBA and a career track this would essentially be starting a new career with an inferior degree. If she has worked in HR for many years and then applies to do a post grad in HR management then her application would be more genuine although not guaranteed.