+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points to remember when applying for Citizenship

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
After the application is submitted. CIC sends letters and mails to the mailing address or residential address???

I read somewhere in this forum that CIC always sends mails to the residential address and ignore the mailing address. Is that true?

Anyone who used DIFFERENT Mailing and Residential addresses please share your experience. Thanks

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
EasyRider said:
7) Don't rely on mailing address. If you have different mailing and home addresses on application, good to know that CIC practices sending important communication such as RQ's, test/oath invitations to home address, ignoring mailing address completely.

is that TRUE ?

tst

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
kaps said:
After the application is submitted. CIC sends letters and mails to the mailing address or residential address???

I read somewhere in this forum that CIC always sends mails to the residential address and ignore the mailing address. Is that true?

Anyone who used DIFFERENT Mailing and Residential addresses please share your experience. Thanks
Yes, it is, don't try to update anything with CIC, they don't do anything.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I would think an exception would be in the case of an applicant with a legal representative. That applicant's mailing address is likely to be the lawyer's office address - I believe in that case, CIC will send mails to the lawyer's office.

If you have both a residential and mailing address, I suppose you can write them in your application as applicable. However, ensure you check both regularly in case CIC decides to use either for mails.

kaps said:

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaps said:
EasyRider said:
7) Don't rely on mailing address. If you have different mailing and home addresses on application, good to know that CIC practices sending important communication such as RQ's, test/oath invitations to home address, ignoring mailing address completely.
is that TRUE ?
That's very much a real issue, I've seen several reports involving RQ's and test invitation letters being sent to residential address despite applicant having a separate mailing address on file. I can't find them all (and don't have time for this), but here's an example:

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9176&PID=199254&title=2012-applicants-here#199254

[quote author=mero1984]I did not move permanently there but just to get a degree. My family still lives in canada and thats my home address (where they sent the notice).. interestingly, they sent the notice to my home address and not my mailing address (i had my mailing address as my relative's one because my family travels all the time to Quebec and i was afraid they would mail me the notice and my family would be visiting Montreal). well to my great surprise they sent the invitation to test to the Home address rather than mailing address (despite that i received the acknowledgment letter and the book on the mailing address). can anyone explain [/quote]

I don't know why CIC doing this, is it a mistake or done on purpose, and not saying that if one has a mailing address CIC won't necessarily send communication there, but this thing happens. What bothering me is I can't really remember of anyone reporting having a mailing address and receiving communication (RQ, test or oath letter) to a mailing address.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I suspect they have a reason for sending to a residential address - probably to know for sure if you really live there, which if you do, the letter should not be undeliverable, right?

OKK said:
So in other words its best to have same address as mailing/residential

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
SenoritaBella said:
I suspect they have a reason for sending to a residential address - probably to know for sure if you really live there, which if you do, the letter should not be undeliverable, right?
Exactly that they do that on purpose

oOcute24Oo

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2016
AOR Received.
May 10 2015
File Transfer...
SA Approved: June 13 2016, AOR2, addtl docs requested - June 22 2016
Med's Done....
June 17 2016
Interview........
Waived ; addtl docs passed June 29, 2016
Hi Guys.. :D

I just have 1 (dumb) question: Before applying for citizenship, should you wait for 4 years after you landed as an immigrant (which is also the first day that you entered Canada)? Or should the 3 straight years of residency be enough?

Thanks! :)

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Looking back 4 years from the date you signed your citizenship application, you should have accumulated atleast 3 years (or 1095 days) of clearly established or demonstrated physical presence in Canada.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
CIC should start the system of both entry and exit stamps. I think this will help a lot in eliminating RQ's. CIC should consider time between the stamps as time spent in Canada. This can be further supported by other documents as well.

kenyadian

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,

Are there specific points to remember for folks who have spent a year or so of their time here as "home makers"?

Please let me know - it would be interesting to see how people have approached this.

Many thanks!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OKK said:
That is not true as i can speak from my own experience the time i sent off my application my health card was only a month old.
OKK, check out this post. C1 RQ trigger (ID renewed with last 3 months) was revised sometime before Nov. 2012 according to new ATIP release. Looks like you may have had some good timing!