+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points to remember when applying for Citizenship

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Hi All,

I am applying for the citizenship in Aug 2013. I request you all to share the important tips that you learned from your personal experience. Points to be taken care of before sending the application to avoid rejection or delays. So that we can be pro active by not doing any mistakes and by giving CIC the required information in advance so that they cannot just reject the application.

Your suggestions will be helpful for the fresher in the process of getting Canadian citizenship on time.

Thanks in advance :)

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
double triple check your application before you send it out....your travel dates etc etc.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Points to remember:

1) Don't lie on application and verify it well before sending.

2) Do not use copies of ID's renewed within 3 months of application date with application. This has been causing automatic RQ's (revealed from internal CIC communications), known as C1 criterion. This policy may have been changed, but we have no knowledge of it.

3) If submitting school records, remember that letter from school is not enough. School records = letter of attendance from school + daily attendance tables + transcripts. If school records are incomplete, application will be returned resulting in a loss of 2-3 months.

4) If you have been unemployed during relevant period and have it marked as such in application, don't be surprised if you'll be getting RQ. Any periods of unemployment plus any travel during relevant period have been causing automatic RQ's, it has been known as A5 criterion. Again, this practice may have been updated from the last year, but we have no evidence of it. Explore, if it's possible to use "volunteer" or "homemaker" in application instead of "unemployed", of course, if you indeed were a volunteer or a homemaker during unemployment periods.

5) Another point is record keeping for RQ purposes, but it may be too late at this point. For instance, I didn't know much about RQ when I trashed all my boarding passes and some bank statements when I was moving from one city to another.

6) If you anticipate RQ, bother about obtaining some documents which may be hard or take a substantial time to obtain in advance, for instance, US CBP records (in case you need them), medical records etc.

7) Don't rely on mailing address. If you have different mailing and home addresses on application, good to know that CIC practices sending important communication such as RQ's, test/oath invitations to home address, ignoring mailing address completely.

8) Do not apply with exactly 1095 days. It should be 1095 + 1 day at the very minimum.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
And above all don't worry about RQ too much, you don't even know if you will get it or not and lets say even if you do then you do and then you deal with it whats the point worrying about something which didn't even happen yet or there is no surety if it will. So relax and just apply hopefully all will work out well.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2) Do not use copies of ID's renewed within 3 months of application date with application. This has been causing automatic RQ's (revealed from internal CIC communications), known as C1 criterion. This policy may have been changed, but we have no knowledge of it.

What if you send copies of both the old expired ID and the newly arrived renewed ID ?? Will they still issue RQ.

Is the logic like a program,

If ( Identification Document <= 3 months )
Then
{
Issue RQ to the applicant
}
Else
{
Process Application without RQ
}

Are there people who look at your application as a real person or as a program?

Thanks

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
dear_pnp said:

What if you send copies of both the old expired ID and the newly arrived renewed ID ?? Will they still issue RQ.

Is the logic like a program,

If ( Identification Document <= 3 months )
Then
{
Issue RQ to the applicant
}
Else
{
Process Application without RQ
}

Are there people who look at your application as a real person or as a program?

Thanks
That is not true as i can speak from my own experience the time i sent off my application my health card was only a month old.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the response.

Well thats good to know. So you never got RQ?

Or you dont know if you will get RQ or havent gotten one yet?

Anything else different in your profile

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
dear_pnp said:
Thanks for the response.

Well thats good to know. So you never got RQ?

Or you dont know if you will get RQ or havent gotten one yet?

Anything else different in your profile
Never did applied in November 2011. My exam was few days ago all went really well just waiting on my Oath date as i been told by CIC officials. At the time when I applied i never heard of these "RQ TRIGGERS" so i just sent my application off with a copy of my health card which was just a month old.

I don't know if this has any truth to it but i am just projecting my experience.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmm I see...Thanks again for the reply

I heard the RQ thing became more prominent in the year 2012. Well we will see how it goes

By the way, why did it take so long for you without RQ?

Whats your local cic office?

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
dear_pnp said:
Hmm I see...Thanks again for the reply

I heard the RQ thing became more prominent in the year 2012. Well we will see how it goes

By the way, why did it take so long for you without RQ?

Whats your local cic office?
It didn't took long just a average application processing time got my exam in 19 months...My local office was Toronto.
btw my case didn't went i process till august 2012.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
dear_pnp said:
Hmm I see...Which office in Toronto?
ST CLAIR

After applying be ready for a long 25 months wait or it could be quicker also keep in mind the clock start ticking the time they received your application. Assuming your application will be a normal category (NO RQ)

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh man, my office will be St Clair I guess....

25 months is a long time, I am already getting old :eek: :eek:

No RQ = 25 months

With RQ = No one knows.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
LOL how do you know ur office will be ST CLAIR???

Yeah man regular app is 25 months and RQ only GOD and CIC knows